Rio 2016 Preparations - Venue & Infrastructure Developments

Do it right, and there's nothing wrong with them

Lee Valley White Water Centre had - by Summer 2013 - attracted nearly 200,000 visitors, and is in daily use, with a number of successful legacy projects involving all levels, from complete beginners to elite athletes. Since opening, the centre with 46,000 people having rafted at the centre and over 16,000 participants have tried canoeing or kayaking.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/olympic-champions-witness-further-6-million-investment-in-2012-legacy-at-lee-valley-white-water-centre

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g3337108-d3229242-Reviews-Lee_Valley_White_Water_Centre-Waltham_Cross_Greater_London_England.html

Early days. London's seems well planned, but London's legacy is still in its infancy. Lets review in 20 years. Not saying it won't be a success, but overall - if anything - London is an exception. Beijing's and Athens are dry - Sydney's is in use but its existence during a drought was a bit controversial. To build extravagant facilities for such a niche sport that are potentially very unsustainable is something the IOC should reconsider.

Sorry by ignorance, but why this sport still in the olympics? Never heard about a huge fun of canoa slalom and a really good athlete in this sport. I jusy know about this sport cause the problems of the venue in Rio.

Really good athletes are Tony Estanguet, IOC member and potential leader of the Paris 2024 bid, and Michal Martikán, who has won a medal in every Olympics since 1996.

Brazil has hosted slalom world championships twice and will host them again two years after the Olympics.

• Like 1

Sorry by ignorance, but why this sport still in the olympics? Never heard about a huge fun of canoa slalom and a really good athlete in this sport. I jusy know about this sport cause the problems of the venue in Rio.

1) Get's reasonable TV ratings

2) It's a sport that European countries do well in. They still have a ton of power.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not exactly helpful....

Heavy-construction workers in Rio de Janeiro, many involved in work for the 2016 Olympic Games, have begun a strike, the union representing the workers said, threatening to slow completion of projects that are already behind schedule,

About 70 percent of the 12,000 Rio de Janeiro-region members of the Intermunicipal Union of Heavy Construction Workers, known by their Portuguese-language acronym Sitraicp, put down their tools on Monday, the union said. They plan to strike until at least Friday, the date set for an arbitrator to decide on conflicting demands from workers and management.

The union wants an 8.5 percent pay raise plus a 40 real ($13.29) increase in a monthly food subsidy. Employers have offered a 7.3 percent increase.

If the strike is resolved Friday, work on stadiums and transportation infrastructure projects should not be seriously affected, Sitraicp president Nelson Duarte told Reuters late Monday.

"If it is not resolved, then we will go on strike indefinitely, Duarte said. "If there is a 10- to 15-day stoppage, there will be an negative impact on (Olympic) work."

The Rio Mais consortium, which is responsible for work on 2016 Olympic projects, said the strike has not affected work on the Olympic Park, where major events such as track and field are scheduled. The Rio de Janeiro organizing committee declined to comment on the strike.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/19/us-olympics-brazil-strike-idUSKBN0O41YI20150519

Not exactly helpful....

Heavy-construction workers in Rio de Janeiro, many involved in work for the 2016 Olympic Games, have begun a strike, the union representing the workers said, threatening to slow completion of projects that are already behind schedule,

About 70 percent of the 12,000 Rio de Janeiro-region members of the Intermunicipal Union of Heavy Construction Workers, known by their Portuguese-language acronym Sitraicp, put down their tools on Monday, the union said. They plan to strike until at least Friday, the date set for an arbitrator to decide on conflicting demands from workers and management.

The union wants an 8.5 percent pay raise plus a 40 real ($13.29) increase in a monthly food subsidy. Employers have offered a 7.3 percent increase.

If the strike is resolved Friday, work on stadiums and transportation infrastructure projects should not be seriously affected, Sitraicp president Nelson Duarte told Reuters late Monday.

"If it is not resolved, then we will go on strike indefinitely, Duarte said. "If there is a 10- to 15-day stoppage, there will be an negative impact on (Olympic) work."

The Rio Mais consortium, which is responsible for work on 2016 Olympic projects, said the strike has not affected work on the Olympic Park, where major events such as track and field are scheduled. The Rio de Janeiro organizing committee declined to comment on the strike.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/19/us-olympics-brazil-strike-idUSKBN0O41YI20150519

I predict at least a couple of strikes more ahead the games...

We are a democracy, people have the right to strike and they will, using the Olympic Games to get better salaries and union people to get more power... - same happened in the World Cup preparations.

• Like 1

I predict at least a couple of strikes more ahead the games...

We are a democracy, people have the right to strike and they will, using the Olympic Games to get better salaries and union people to get more power... - same happened in the World Cup preparations.

Very true Danny- we don't want workers in the Qatar situation, with no rights and exploited.

But we don't want the Gmaes delayed either!!!!

Some food for thought: Had Agenda 2020 been delivered earlier, do you think that Rio's venue plans would look different, even only slightly? I always thought the biggest waste of construction and money was having to build an entirely new aquatic center when they that the 15,000 seat Maria Lenk Aquatic Center that had already been built.

Very true Danny- we don't want workers in the Qatar situation, with no rights and exploited.

But we don't want the Gmaes delayed either!!!!

Same thing about Amazon...

Or mankind eats tons of meat or they stop deforesting the Amazon... We can't have both.

Some food for thought: Had Agenda 2020 been delivered earlier, do you think that Rio's venue plans would look different, even only slightly? I always thought the biggest waste of construction and money was having to build an entirely new aquatic center when they that the 15,000 seat Maria Lenk Aquatic Center that had already been built.

The new aquatic center will be dismantled after the games and the pieces will be used for other projects in Rio and Brazil.

I watched a report about it in Globo this week, and the project is truly amazing.

Indeed Aquatic Stadium design is fantastic, the only problem are these huge columns in the middle of the seats.

Veja-Foto-Renato-Sette-Prefeitura_LANIMA

So what? So they'll lose probably 80-100 seats; you'll probably have another 11,400 seats. You have to place the posts somewhere. :rolleyes: I'm sure the structural engineers know their jobs. Or at least I hope so.

So what? So they'll lose probably 80-100 seats; you'll probably have another 11,400 seats. You have to place the posts somewhere. :rolleyes: I'm sure the structural engineers know their jobs. Or at least I hope so.

I dont care about the amount of seats, because the aquatic olympic stadium in Rio has the largest capacity of the aquatic stadiums of London and Beijing. But it makes the stadium with a horrible design. I wish it was like the first renderization disclosed.

20131111101145865501390.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Injunction of the Federal Court cancels works in Marina da Glória

2.jpg

Venue of the sailing in the Olympics and Paralympics in Rio 2016, the Marina da Glória can have their adaptation works to discontinued Games in the coming days. On Friday, the federal judge Marcelo Pereira da Silva, the 8th Class expert of the Federal Court (2nd region), granted an injunction suspending the passage of the bill approved by the Institute of National Historical and Artistic Patrinônio (Iphan). Despite the injunction, the concessionaire BR Marinas, responsible for the reform of local, states that has not yet been notified. On Monday, the works took place normally.

Source.