Rio 2016 Preparations - Venue & Infrastructure Developments

I get exactly what you're doing.

You can't bear talking about the missing venues and disappointing organization so you posted some pretty pictures instead. It really wasn't very subtle and it still makes no sense in this thread.

No, you guys were discussing medical conditions, which for me, is not cool.

Go detract Rio, no news on it. There are people doing it here since 2007 or so. But we should respect a bit the limitations of other forumers.

And my life is not quest of defending Rio, Athensfan.

Read my post carefully, specially the last two words quoted.

Athensfan, the pics were a subtle message to move forward.

So, Athensfan, you start, what's the next bad news about Rio you'll be pleased to discuss? Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

F**K Tony! Are you that desperate to post that now you come up with this? It gets harder to defend you when you pull sh!t like this.

'Olympic venue on time' (if indeed it is) isn't news anywhere in the world Danny. It's what's expected of a host. Thanks for the pictures Bezzi.

Rio keeps stressing how Maracana is finished, that's pathetic. Maracana is a venue for the World Cup so of course it's finished...Gosh that fact that Brazilian authorities are taking the flight option is ruining 2016 for me. Then all the pathetic bickering between Tony and Danny...

I think Brazil will make it after all. Brazilian national pride is involved in those mega-events. About protests and strikes all over Brazil, but above all in Rio means their democracy is healthy. I didn't see that during Beijing or Sochi preparations or what happens in Qatar. What can you imagine is going on there?

• Like 1

Developing economies are always going to be scrutinized especially by the west. South Africa went through it for Fifa2010 and India was heavily criticized for their handling of the CWGs.

Brazil has the double whammy of the two major global events in such close proximity, admittedly the WC is nationwide and OSGs one city. Lets just get through the next couple of months and then focus on 2016.

• Like 1

Rio keeps stressing how Maracana is finished, that's pathetic. Maracana is a venue for the World Cup so of course it's finished...Gosh that fact that Brazilian authorities are taking the flight option is ruining 2016 for me. Then all the pathetic bickering between Tony and Danny...

I dare you to make a post without saying my name or refering to me... B)

But, "as always, thanks for watching my life"

About protests and strikes all over Brazil, but above all in Rio means their democracy is healthy.

Sometimes it's even too much democracy. The freedom here is sometimes taken really wild because people can be really clueless.

I mean, since the Brazilians have the right to protest guaranteed by the constitution, they think they can stop entire city or major highways just because constitution grants them right to protest.

People here is really free to say whatever they want, at the moment they want, using the ways they want... I think some common sense limits would be very welcoming.

Curiously, I think the same about the threads.

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1

Brazil may get it done late and the IOC may have to live without a few test events, but Rio will be ready barring a major catastrophe. After the World Cup ends, I think you'll see full attention being given to the Olympics. IMO, Brazil bit off a bit more than it could chew with both events. Regarding their venue plan, couldn't they consolidate a bit? For example, I've never understood why Rio is constructing a brand new aquatic center, temporary though it may be, when they have the Maria Lenk Aquatic Center that was built for the Pan Ams and holds like 15,000. Wouldn't it be much cheaper to add a few thousand temporary seats and a temporary roof and hold all the aquatics events minus water polo there? As for water polo, why not do what London did and construct a small temporary pool that can be taken down afterwards. Couldn't the infield of the Barra Velodrome be used for something like fencing or table tennis?

Has construction begun on the Olympic Training Center?

For example, I've never understood why Rio is constructing a brand new aquatic center, temporary though it may be, when they have the Maria Lenk Aquatic Center that was built for the Pan Ams and holds like 15,000.

I don't remember why, but there are several reasons why Maria Lenk does not fit the FINA requirements for Olympics anymore (one of them is roof, there is no way to cover it all).

When it was built, Maria Lenk fullfil all requirements, but FINA changed everything after Rio started the works for PanAms.

As for water polo, why not do what London did and construct a small temporary pool that can be taken down afterwards.

But Rio also have Julio Delamare aquatic venue (that need renovations on the stands) just side-by-side with Maracanã and will host Water Polo.

Couldn't the infield of the Barra Velodrome be used for something like fencing or table tennis?

There is no Barra Velodrome anymore. The PanAms Velodrome was moved to Pinhais, Paraná State.

Has construction begun on the Olympic Training Center?

Yes, indeed, first work was to demolish the velodrome.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Forgot about the pool next to the Maracana. I didn't realize it was being used. Ditto for the Barra Velodrome. Was there ever any consideration for building a permanent velodrome that could have been used for the Pan Ams and the Olympics? Regarding the Olympic Training Center, haven't they moved basketball out of one of the pavilions there and moved it to Deodoro?

Danny, I'm interested in your thoughts on this last point. There's been a lot of discussion about the numerous hurdles that have been jumped (levels of government) in order to get both infrastructure for the World Cup and the Olympics done. Do you think the delays could perhaps spur some changes in the way decision making is done for future construction projects so there's not so much red tape to go through?

Was there ever any consideration for building a permanent velodrome that could have been used for the Pan Ams and the Olympics?

It was sold to the population that the velodrome was fine according to Olympic requirements. I don't know if it changed or (possibly) if our politicians lied to us.

Regarding the Olympic Training Center, haven't they moved basketball out of one of the pavilions there and moved it to Deodoro?

So far, the basketball arena will be in Deodoro.

Danny, I'm interested in your thoughts on this last point. There's been a lot of discussion about the numerous hurdles that have been jumped (levels of government) in order to get both infrastructure for the World Cup and the Olympics done. Do you think the delays could perhaps spur some changes in the way decision making is done for future construction projects so there's not so much red tape to go through?

Probably nothing will change. Our political system is like this and won't change. More than that, all public works must pass throughout a huge bureaucracy. They open a bidding and interested companis will cast their prices/proposals. Then, after deadline to enter the bid, Govt. open the proposals bills and chooses the cheaper and technically possible one, according to a very big list of technical requirements and pricing. (This is already stupid enough? No!). After 90 days, the works may or may not start, depends if the companies who lost the bidding will protest against the result in justice or not.

After works stated, if anything, even a small no-fullfilment of the law happens, or overprice is detected, the judiciary system (that is obsolete and slow as a turtle) can stop the works until everything is back in accordance with law. Then turtle justice will judge if everything is fine to allow the works to continue. All the process is stupid and dumb and lead to a lot of delays, mistakes and even can cause building companies to go bankrupt during the process.

And if this happen, you have a new bidding and everything starts again.

What happened to Deodoro?

Federal Government was the level of goverment heading this process. Due political reasons and problems during the bidding process (justice stuff), they leave it to the State government to do it. State refused and now Rio city is the one leading the process for Deodoro. The good news is: bidding process already done and the works must start sometime near 3 months.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

And since yesterday, for the joy of many here (for the good and the evil), the government launched a site with ALL information about the building, construction, justice stuff and process on the works for Rio 2016 games.

http://www.fiscalizario2016.gov.br/government-audit-of-rio-2016/home.htm

You find information like:

Olympic Park has already been visited 14 times by Justice by the Municipal Court of Accounts of Rio de Janeiro.

By the end of last December, the judges concluded that, in relation to infrastructure works of the Olympic Park, 37.11% had already been executed, and 36.99% are planned. This means that there is a little progress in services. However, not all of the sub items are advanced, as is the case of the preliminary services, 0.36% of which are late.

As for the Olympic Training Centers, the percentage foreseen was 17.49%, and 11.76% were executed at the time. There is a 5.73% delay in all of its three structures.

In relation to Olympic Village infrastructure, the percentage scheduled to be executed was 56.47%, and only 55.92% has been executed, representing a 0.55% delay.

That's accurate information that will bring some more lightened discussion to this thread.

And this is huge, since we need some more accurate information even to press our politicians to speed up thing, to avoid overpricings and to answer to stupid claims on the... you got it.

• Like 1

Why are there no web cams at the venues so we can watch progress. I wasn't the biggest fan of Londons website on the lead up to the games but they did give a lot of info about progress. I loved watching the webcams and seeing the sites evolve.

Rio 2016 can we have webcams, or point me in the direction of them as I can't find them anywhere.

Thanks for the pics Danny but we know Rio and Brasil will be a stunning sun kissed backdrop to the next games, 2 years to go I want to be watching an Olympic Park emerge.

• Like 1

Good point Davey, webcams are cheap and good to check the works. Also bring the audience near to the preparations. Rio state added some at Maracana during works. Maybe they are waiting sone visible strcture to install some at the Olympic Park.

Its a great way of getting people involved. And a way of showing the world that Brasil will deliver. I remember arguing with my mum when London was awarded the games and she had said

"London will never be ready, it will all end in tears" My reply to my mum was "Mum, it has to be ready" and as we all know it was.

Brasil will be ready to welcome the world, because it has to be ready.

• Like 1

I dare you to make a post without saying my name or refering to me... B)

But, "as always, thanks for watching my life"

Sometimes it's even too much democracy. The freedom here is sometimes taken really wild because people can be really clueless.

I mean, since the Brazilians have the right to protest guaranteed by the constitution, they think they can stop entire city or major highways just because constitution grants them right to protest.

People here is really free to say whatever they want, at the moment they want, using the ways they want... I think some common sense limits would be very welcoming.

Curiously, I think the same about the threads.

Danny,

It's also important to highlight that we have recently been out of a Dictatorship (sinde 1985. Our constitution is from 1988). It's our longest period in history in a democracy. This is not simple. Our society has been told as beeing one that is too apathetic. In my opinion, in this last decade Brazil has faced a beggining of a period of transformation, so it's very NATURAL that people nowadays demand more and more from our government and start to think how society can also change to achieve a lower inequality, a better standard of education, health, and so on.

Of course both the WC and the Olympics are great opportunities to demand, since a great legacy has been promised and is beeing, in my POV, delivered (even if it's not 100% done). Also, media has a strong role in all this, since everything Mr. Valcke has been saying about Brazil is receiving a huge attention as being 100% accurate.

Danny,

It's also important to highlight that we have recently been out of a Dictatorship (sinde 1985. Our constitution is from 1988). It's our longest period in history in a democracy. This is not simple. Our society has been told as beeing one that is too apathetic. In my opinion, in this last decade Brazil has faced a beggining of a period of transformation, so it's very NATURAL that people nowadays demand more and more from our government and start to think how society can also change to achieve a lower inequality, a better standard of education, health, and so on.

I couldn't agree more. And I'm also one citizen who wants a better Brazil too. I don't agree with rioting, burning buses, breaking glasses in main avenues. We MUST protest and demand a better country. I don't agree with the way some people uses to get attention. And worse, they do a lot of rioting and get no punishment for that. That's my point.

Of course both the WC and the Olympics are great opportunities to demand, since a great legacy has been promised and is beeing, in my POV, delivered (even if it's not 100% done). Also, media has a strong role in all this, since everything Mr. Valcke has been saying about Brazil is receiving a huge attention as being 100% accurate.

I know how many things have been delivered, is under final delayed works and the other that are under works and, sadly, will be delivered only after the World Cup.

Ten years ago we wouldn't even think about Tramways in our cities or some Airport with similar standard of European/Asian ones... That's something World Cup boosted. But again, the speeches from FIFA (and now IOC), the ridiculous media about the events and bad politicians stuff is not helping people to realize how much Brazil is changing, IMHO.

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 2

What happened to Deodoro?

Federal Government was the level of goverment heading this process. Due political reasons and problems during the bidding process (justice stuff), they leave it to the State government to do it. State refused and now Rio city is the one leading the process for Deodoro. The good news is: bidding process already done and the works must start sometime near 3 months.

We know that dates for beginning of the works in Deodoro changed, but the delivery dates is another thing. These dates also changed?

We know that dates for beginning of the works in Deodoro changed, but the delivery dates is another thing. These dates also changed?

Yes, I posted the slide of ROCOG with the dates (now all of them are 3 months ahead).

IPC's CEO is really happy with Rio... How can be?

CEO of the International Paralympic Committee (IPC), Xavier Gonzalez was clear in stating that the entity does not have any concern with the carioca organization.
People in Rio must be proud of their work that is being done. And I say this from experience because I organized four editions of the Games (Barcelona, Atlanta, Sydney and Salt Lake). On the way there are always moments (complicated), but the important thing is the final vision. And Rio has a very clear vision of want to do - said Gonzalez.
If someone said about delays, was for some reason. The most important is that the Rio 2016 Organising Committee and the authorities took the necessary decisions to ensure that the projects and the facilities are completed on time. These two days (we've been here), in which we focus, we left convinced that the actions being taken will ensure for the Olympics Paralympics as both the delivery of all sports facilities in the necessary conditions for our athletes to compete.

http://www.lancenet.com.br/mais-esportes/IPC-organizacao-Jogos-Rio-2016-orgulho_0_1139286071.html

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1

No, you guys were discussing medical conditions, which for me, is not cool.

Go detract Rio, no news on it. There are people doing it here since 2007 or so. But we should respect a bit the limitations of other forumers.

And my life is not quest of defending Rio, Athensfan.

Read my post carefully, specially the last two words quoted.

So, Athensfan, you start, what's the next bad news about Rio you'll be pleased to discuss?

I didn't say a word about "medical conditions." Nor do I have anything more to add regarding Rio's problems at this time.

If you don't have something to say that's on topic, why not simply refrain from saying anything? Is there a reason you feel you must post constantly even when you have nothing relevant to contribute?

I ask the same to you.

If there is nothing to discuss about Rio, why again discuss about me?

I can't understand why you care so much about me.

• Like 1

Moving on...

Olympic Village yesterday

Captura_de_tela_2014_05_20_12_45_53.png

Captura_de_tela_2014_05_20_12_46_05.png

Olympic Park

2014-712595145-2014050991926.jpg_2014050

Works in the athletes' village advance, and the Olympic Park reaches 20%

http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/obras-na-vila-dos-atletas-avancam-mas-no-parque-olimpico-nao-passam-de-20-12538002

The deadlines for the release of some tenders of arenas, both in Barra da Tijuca and Deodoro, were changed. If the works were ready too soon, Rio City Hall would have to pay for maintenance costs unnecessarily. In addition, details of the projects of the sports venues have been discussed at length with the international federations over the years. There were some details that were closed only recently, during the Winter Olympics in Sochi (Russia), in February this year according to High Performance Sports Ministry, Ricardo Leyser.

Edited by Danny El Tico
  • Like 1