Rio 2016 Preparations - Venue & Infrastructure Developments

But if you're hoping that the new NFL stadium will have any provisions for an athletics track, don't hold your breath. Don't see any way that happens.

The idea would not they have provisions for an athletics track, but just they chose a design for the stadium that would be compatible with the implementation of an athletics platform.

The new NFL stadium is mostly privately funded. Any accomidation for a possible track will cost money and make the sightlines worse for NFL football. It's highly unlikely. Maybe the (possible) new NFL stadium in Vegas can add a track option to win favor for public financing.

Besides, the NFL stadium won't have any public transportation and will have tons of parking lots. It's not going to appeal to the IOC. The only way it happens is if they bid with the coliseum and pull a switcheroo after they win.

• Like 1

On this picture, the shape of the first stage might not be so far from the ideal shape of an athletics platform!

160114155641-nfl-stadium-3-super-169.jpg

Besides, the NFL stadium won't have any public transportation and will have tons of parking lots. It's not going to appeal to the IOC.

I didn't know about that. You may be right for that point!

On this picture, the shape of the first stage might not be so far from the ideal shape

I guess if you are willing to build a platform, you can hold athletics in most football stadiums. And, heck, that even gives you underground space for Baron's precious ceremony trap doors.

I guess if you are willing to build a platform, you can hold athletics in most football stadiums. And, heck, that even gives you underground space for Baron's precious ceremony trap doors.

Yes a platform! Anyway, in the Coliseum, it would also be a platform...so whatever the stadium that will be used, the cost will be approximately the same!

The idea would not they have provisions for an athletics track, but just they chose a design for the stadium that would be compatible with the implementation of an athletics platform.

Yes a platform! Anyway, in the Coliseum, it would also be a platform...so whatever the stadium that will be used, the cost will be approximately the same!

As zeke noted, the main issue with the new NFL stadium is that of ownership. Stan Kroenke, owner of the LA Rams, will be the owner and operator of this stadium. It's his decision whether or not he has any interest in using the stadium for athletics. If he's not interested, the LA Olympic committee has no recourse for that. Putting in a platform is not likely to be something easily done. Just because it can be envisioned and someone is willing to pay for it does not mean it can happen if Kroenke is not willing to work with the Olympic committee.

Putting in a platform is not likely to be something easily done. Just because it can be envisioned and someone is willing to pay for it does not mean it can happen if Kroenke is not willing to work with the Olympic committee.

Absolutely.

It's worth remembering that the new Wembley Stadium in London was designed with the platform conversion system for athletics in mind. In 1999 it was reported to Parliament that:

"The conversion time from football to athletics was projected to be 4-6 months"

It was, of course, realised by all smart people, that if Wembley was to be the venue for the FA Cup final in May, that meant no track events could be held until at least September. To date, Wembley has never ever been converted to athletics mode .

Absolutely.

It's worth remembering that the new Wembley Stadium in London was designed with the platform conversion system for athletics in mind. In 1999 it was reported to Parliament that:

"The conversion time from football to athletics was projected to be 4-6 months"

It was, of course, realised by all smart people, that if Wembley was to be the venue for the FA Cup final in May, that meant no track events could be held until at least September. To date, Wembley has never ever been converted to athletics mode .

OK, so most of you think it would be really difficult to implement an athletics platform in the new NFL stadium for LA 2024... :(

The angle of the photos does not help. London is closer but not so much

dsc_6808_1.jpg

Yes you're right. I measured 140m x 130m (front raw to front raw) for Engenhão and estimated 130m x 190m for London.

Aside from the issue of ownership, just look at the Rams Stadium Neige. The rake of those stands is very steep. Great for football so that every fan feels close to the field but could you imagine trying to watch the 100m up at the top of that stand? It'd be a terrible viewing position.

There are several practical reasons why the Rams stadium won't be used for athletics. But even if those didn't exist, the Colliseum would still be the better option.

I think this has already been discussed to death in the LA24 thread anyway. Not sure why it's being talked about here.

I think this has already been discussed to death in the LA24 thread anyway. Not sure why it's being talked about here.

Because it was discussed the dimensions of Engenhão (compared to London stadium....

And it seems to me that the Coliseum is narrow and long compared to new stadiums...not sure is is really suitable for a modern athletics platform? :blink:

And Yes, it's certainly not the right place to discuss that...

Like, really close to the sea. I assume they know what they are doing, but tides? Storm surge?

Also amazed at how close it is to the road. Is that set to be closed down as part of a security zone? The whole venue, overlooked by dozens of high rise buildings, must be giving the security team nightmares.

Rio traditionally hosts international events of beach volleyball since the late 80s, exactly on the same spot which the Olympic arena is being built.

About the sense of closeness with the buildings, i think is more a question of photography perspective. It isn't really that close.

The tides are well above average this year in Rio, some beaches have even disappeared in storm days. But the arena is being built in a secure/higher zone of the sand line.

Arpoador beach in the end of April:

1016040-28042016-capa-_dsc7105-.jpg?itok

yeau1kzjv_qufstpc08_file.jpg?dimensions=

Constantly zones of low pressure and a lot of instability in the Atlantic (high seas) have been causing rough sea. This autumn is being particularly mild (for Brazilian standarts) in Brazil due to that. It's the coldest autumn in almost a decade with constant incursion of moderate polar air masses.

Here's an article about this:

2016 Rio Olympics should be marked by rough seas, says oceanographer

The year 2016 should be marked by rough seas in Rio. And the phenomenon may be even more frequent in winter when the Olympics will happen in Rio. The information is from the oceanographer David Zee. According to him, while in summer cold fronts occurred at intervals eight to nine days, in the winter they must now occur every four or five days, bringing together rough seas.

[...]

According to him, in two sites after the analysis was made, a new planning of areas to be occupied in the sand was elaborated. In addition, the Committee also has a number of contingency measures that can be adopted in case of stronger storms.

- Analyzes were also made close to beaches, where stands will be installed. They (committee members) had all this concern - said Zee.

• Like 1

I think there is no city in the world with better expertize to buid a arena in the beach like Rio. Theses sports had grown here. I have no fear.