Rio 2016 Preparations - Venue & Infrastructure Developments

They have capybaras in Rio???? I want to see one.

Anyone know of a good place to look for them (other than the Olympic golf course)?

Capybaras: "Bosque da Barra" 9a beautiful park in Barra da Tijuca region, the region of the Olympic Park).

Monkeys: Tijuca National Park (Tijuca Forest).

Little monkeys: SugarLoaf Mountain and Tijuca Forest.

Coatis: Tijuca National Park.

Damn I'm surprised there are coatis in Brazil. Their territory is pretty huge. I was in the state of Quintana Roo, where Cancun, Playa Del Carmen and Tulum are, 3 years ago and my cousin and I stayed in Akumal, which is between Playa Del Carmen and Tulum. We saw them, but they were very human shy and we never got to get a good look at them. There they seem so comfortable around them.

And yes capybaras are badass! I would love to have a couple as pets if I had the place for them.

Damn I'm surprised there are coatis in Brazil. Their territory is pretty huge. I was in the state of Quintana Roo, where Cancun, Playa Del Carmen and Tulum are, 3 years ago and my cousin and I stayed in Akumal, which is between Playa Del Carmen and Tulum. We saw them, but they were very human shy and we never got to get a good look at them. There they seem so comfortable around them.

And yes capybaras are badass! I would love to have a couple as pets if I had the place for them.

I love coatis :)

532690337_2ef6152f3f_z.jpg

Quati da Floresta da Tijuca - Rio de Janeiro by nlimonge, no Flickr

TIJUCA NATIONAL PARK - RIO DE JANEIRO

Yes blue track! Its beautyfull. I know some stadiums around the world with blue tracks but they are not so common for olympics. I just remember of red tracks at previous olympics.

AroundTheRings just tweeted this. Anyone have any details about what happened and why?

Gymnastics official tells summer Olympic sports gen assembly of "serious problems" this wk@ #Rio2016 test event - power failures during comp

https://twitter.com/MBisson_ATR/status/722332328828268544

According to Sky Sports:

FIG official Ron Froehlich cited power outages, putting at risk athletes' safety and the scoring system, plus missing equipment at an underfunded temporary training venue.

"Most important, they have problems with regard to the Omega (scoring) system," Froehlich said. "Furthermore, power outages while the athletes were performing, which is a very serious issue."

The absence of flooring at a training centre was "due to lack of funding," he said.

(part of a longer article about concerns)

Part of Tim Maia's bike lane collapsed this morning in São Conrado, in Rio de Janeiro. Apparently the cause of the accident was an unusual tall and very srong wave. Five people were hit. Two of them died, one is missing and the others had minor injuries. Bad news. Hope the missing person is found ok.1aclico4.jpg

Part of Tim Maia's bike lane collapsed this morning in São Conrado, in Rio de Janeiro. Apparently the cause of the accident was an unusual tall and very srong wave. Five people were hit. Two of them died, one is missing and the others had minor injuries. Bad news. Hope the missing person is found ok.

More at:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/21/rio-de-janeiro-bicycle-path-collapse-death-brazil-olympic-games

AroundTheRings just tweeted this. Anyone have any details about what happened and why?

Gymnastics official tells summer Olympic sports gen assembly of "serious problems" this wk@ #Rio2016 test event - power failures during comp

https://twitter.com/MBisson_ATR/status/722332328828268544

The scoring for the Trampoline test event seemed OK. Even the bilingual announcements were fine except when it came time for the medals ceremony. They forgot to announce the "Please rise for the national anthem of (China, in this ase)." The informed knew to stand and rise. Others who did not, did the monkey-see, monkey-do thing.

I didn't stay until the end...but for me, the main impediment was the distance of the venue from downtown Rio. Incredible.

It struck me, being 100 days to go that I haven't seen a countdown clock from Rio. Does Rio have a countdown clock anywhere in the city?

"The traditional Olympic countdown , hosted by Omega since 1932 in Olympic host cities, was replaced in Rio by a new social countdown. Each month, starting in August, a new project will be announced via the site www.omegavivario.com."

http://vivario.org.br/en/partnership-with-omega-leaves-a-social-legacy-for-rio/

Part of Tim Maia's bike lane collapsed this morning in São Conrado, in Rio de Janeiro. Apparently the cause of the accident was an unusual tall and very srong wave. Five people were hit. Two of them died, one is missing and the others had minor injuries. Bad news. Hope the missing person is found ok.

Or maybe it was just a stronger than normal fart. I don't have much faith in Brazilian infrastructure so anything minuscule could have taken down that bike lane. Let's not forget that the rush job on the World Cup was the reason this bridge collapsed

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/03/world/americas/brazil-world-cup-overpass-collapse/index.html

"The traditional Olympic countdown , hosted by Omega since 1932 in Olympic host cities, was replaced in Rio by a new social countdown. Each month, starting in August, a new project will be announced via the site www.omegavivario.com."

http://vivario.org.br/en/partnership-with-omega-leaves-a-social-legacy-for-rio/

A "social countdown"? That is quite honestly one of the dumbest fucking things I've ever heard.

• Like 1