Rio 2016 Preparations - Venue & Infrastructure Developments

Go home Danny, you're drunk.

The IOC President said this could be an issue. The media is reporting on a particular failure of Rio. As it did with London when the private security failed to provide the numbers they said they would. No difference.

Edited by Rob.

The IOC President said this could be an issue. The media is reporting on a particular failure of Rio. As it did with London when the private security failed to provide the numbers they said they would. No difference.

But will the Brazilian armed forces be able to step in and sort out the problem?

...besides the typical Rio polution stuff, and a bit more sketchy security than Olympics are used to, it's all the same stuff every host scrambles with. They seem a bit later than London but did anyone think Rio was gonna be early :lol: !? The look of the venues at this point are a bit "glorified shed"-y <_< but i guess it's better than building more expensive.....anyway their busy figuring out the electric to worry too much about design. I'm sure it'll all go off mostly as planned.......it'll be over before we know it.

Olympics 2016: Rio de Janeiro undergoing intense transformation with one year to go until Games-Herald Sun

TOP 5 CHALLENGES FACING OLYMPICS ORGANISERS

1 Polluted water at Guanabara Bay

The local government has admitted it will not be able to deliver on a promise to treat 80% of raw sewage flowing into Guanabara bay, increasing doubts over the venue’s suitability to host Olympic sailing events. Parts of the bay remain strewn with waste and rubbish, which continue to kill scores of fish and pose a risk to humans, according to health experts.

2 Transport

Despite encouraging progress on the development of new express bus lanes and a tram service, the city is in a race against time to finish the subway extension from Ipanema to Barra da Tijuca. The project is seen as the most challenging of Rio’s Olympic urban mobility works, running under a canal and through mountains along its 16km stretch.

3 Venue construction/logistics

The government and organisers have yet to sign contracts for the construction of temporary venues for mountain biking, BMX, equestrian, beach volleyball and the swimming marathon. In addition, tenders are still being finalised to provide power supply to Olympic venues. Similar contracts for London 2012 were signed 20 months before the Games began.

4 Protest threat

The threat of mass protests has been reduced as Rio’s residents appear to have tired of the often violent anti-government rallies that marked the lead-up to last year’s World Cup. But nobody saw those protests coming and with President Dilma Rousseff’s approval rating having reportedly dipped below 10% amid a deepening economic crisis, a repeat of the unrest cannot be ruled out.

5 Security operation

It is doubtful any previous Olympic host city has faced security issues on the level that Rio encounters on a daily basis. According to online database Numbeo, the city reported 4500 murders in 2014, a rate of 35 per 100,000 inhabitants. The government announced in May it would make available its complete pool of 13,000 national security force soldiers during the Olympics and Paralympics. Local media has reported that the country’s army will occupy the city’s most dangerous shanty towns, known as favelas, as part of the security operation.

Edited by paul

Rob, even me said it's an issue...... Unless you are ignoring my posts or playing silly...

And I disagree with IOC about "it could be an issue", it IS an issue.

IMO, the issue is just not as "deadly" as pointed by AP.

And you know, how media exaggerate things, specially the media from your country.

TOP 5 CHALLENGES FACING OLYMPICS ORGANISERS

1 Polluted water at Guanabara Bay

2 Transport

3 Venue construction/logistics

4 Protest threat

5 Security operation

If it was my list, I would place "protest threat" as #5 and "security" as #4.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

With praise from athletes to the clean water in Copacabana, Rio was approved after the test event of triathlon

Athletes praised the structure and organization, the quality of sea water in Copacabana. There was controversy about water quality during the week. Some were surprised with the heat in Rio winter and some made criticisms about the cycling circuit.

http://oglobo.globo.com/esportes/com-elogios-das-atletas-agua-limpa-de-copacabana-rio-passa-no-evento-teste-de-triatlo-17056323
triatlo.jpg
2015080205441.jpg-GSO2AL4AJ.1.jpg
2015080205399.jpg-GSO2AL422.1.jpg

triatlo_masc_1.jpg

The Spaniard Javier Gomez, qualifying race champion for next year's Olympics, was among the first to finish the course of swimming, and once crossed the finish line, said he was fine and nothing worried about possible pollutants or diseases in Rio's waters. He said he approved the test event:
- I had no problems with water. We hear many things, but the committee assured us that would do the competition with no risk to our health. It was a very organized event, a very beautiful circuit and a very excited audience. Very good - commented the Spaniard, guaranteed in the 2016 Olympics.

http://globoesporte.globo.com/olimpiadas/noticia/2015/08/triatletas-aprovam-agua-mas-criticam-asfalto-de-copa-em-evento-teste-no-rj.html
Gwen Jorgensen, who won the triathlon event, saw no problem in water conditions, where is the initial part of the triathlon, which is swimming.
"It was cool to know the route one year before the Games. The view is beautiful. I'm exhausted. I had no problem with the water, I saw no virus. I hope that next year the conditions are equal to today," said the American, 2015 Tour leader and favorite for the Olympic gold next year.

Guanabara Bay

Sailing IF will make their own independent study to decide if they will keep the sailing event in Rio or move it to other place in State of Rio de Janeiro.

http://olimpiadas.uol.com.br/noticias/2015/08/03/oms-pede-exames-das-aguas-do-rio-federacao-de-vela-fara-teste-independente.htm

The International Sailing Federation (ISAF) was also concerned about the situation of Guanabara Bay. Peter Sowrey, president of the organization, is already looking for someone who can perform independent tests that can ensure the health of athletes.
"We'll find someone who can do for us tests they can cover everything we need to know about the presence of viruses and bacteria. I want to assure everyone that go into the water are as safe as possible," he said.
Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1

"I saw no virus"

LMAO!!! unless you have 2 microscopes under your eyes, you're not going to see a damn thing. Let's wait a few days to see if they develop anything. These type of water illnesses don't all happen instantaneously.

Maybe lost in translation, Latin... But, at least, the report in Portuguese says that: "I saw no virus"...

Not really. They're relatively close to the Tropic Of Capricorn, and just like areas near the Tropic of Cancer their winters are fairly mild.

Rio had 32C (88F) and felt like 36C (97F) sunday. This in the peak of the winter.

Virus tests in Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon will occur next week; Fisa praises water

International Rowing Federation and Rio 2016 claim to not have received any complaint: "Better conditions we've seen in recent years", says director.

Matthew Smith, president of FISA said: - We were surprised by the report talking about this issue of the virus, we immediately got in touch with the IOC, who immediately contacted the WHO. We are following WHO recommendations, the world authority on health issues, they so far have recommended tests on two parameters, and now, based on this report, also recommended the virus test. We were not informed about which virus will be tested, we are waiting for it. Once we have this information, we will contact the Rio 2016 to ask the State Government to include this test.

Smith said he had spoken with experts and, based on what he heard, considers that there is no risk. He believes that the main threats are hepatitis A and B, but these are diseases for which "the recommendation is that everyone is vaccinated":

Not really. They're relatively close to the Tropic Of Capricorn, and just like areas near the Tropic of Cancer their winters are fairly mild.

I think people will be surprised how hot Rio is in mid- winter.....no hotter than some other summer cities....but hot!

The temperature in Rio is between 77ºF and 87ºF in recent days. It's winter here.