Rio 2016 Preparations - Venue & Infrastructure Developments

• 2 weeks later...

I saw on insidethegames that the government is refusing to fund the refurbishment at the Delamare Aquatic Center due to costs being to high. I would assume that's a good thing as I've never understood why water polo cannot be held at the Maria Lenk Aquatic Center.

I saw on insidethegames that the government is refusing to fund the refurbishment at the Delamare Aquatic Center due to costs being to high. I would assume that's a good thing as I've never understood why water polo cannot be held at the Maria Lenk Aquatic Center.

I would guess its because there will massive scheduling clashes and they've already sold the tickets at those times for water polo.

Bottom line is this late in the day you should not be making changes.

Surely the scheduling issues cannot be that big of a headache. A few events might need to be moved but really there's no need for more than two competition pools. The last two hosts only had two aquatics venues. Rio originally proposed four (Deodoro, Olympic Aquatic Stadium, Maria Lenk, and Delamare).

Athletes at Rio Olympics to compete in 'basically raw sewage', study reveals

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jul/30/athletes-at-rio-olympics-to-compete-in-basically-raw-sewage-study-reveals

Since Rio de Janeiro was chosen as host city of the Olympic Games in 2016, many Brazilians here in GB forums - including myself (with different nicknames -Rafa, Rapha, Raphael, Mauricio and Monteverde - because I always ended up forgetting my passwords and e-mail accounts and, therefore, had to open new accounts) - pointed out the issue of Guanabara Bay, the delay in the implementation of sewage treatment and cleaning actions, the Brazilian bureaucracy; we explained why the bay is polluted, presented possible solutions. We also did mention the need of a plan B. Today the Associated Press published a scientific research held at the bay. Results were predictable. There is no possibility to clean the Guanabara Bay for the Olympics. There are high levels of contamination both by viruses and bacteria. The bay is a true open sewer. Almost the same can be said about Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon, which presents problems which can be still be solved, if authorities are willing. It is shameful for the RIO 2016 Committee, IOC, mayor Paes, the Government of the State of Rio and the Ministry of Sports. They are alll responsible for that, either by incompetence or bad faith. Frankly, for the good of the games and to to expose athletes to the risks we have been warning all those years, Rio Committee, Fina and IOC should finally consider the possibility of holding events elsewhere.

So in other words, if the Rio games move these water events to a location that will surely be inconvenient, they've already failed us as a host city before the games even began. They promised the IOC that they would clean up their bay in time and they will not deliver to that promise. If they said in 2009 that the cleanup is simply not possible,would we still be having an Olympic games in Rio next year?

So in other words, if the Rio games move these water events to a location that will surely be inconvenient, they've already failed us as a host city before the games even began. They promised the IOC that they would clean up their bay in time and they will not deliver to that promise. If they said in 2009 that the cleanup is simply not possible,would we still be having an Olympic games in Rio next year?

No. They wouldn't.

Gosh. They spend $billions to host -- partially to focus attention on Rio, and end up focusing attention on what appears to be a complete lack of concern for the health of their own citizens, the health of the athletes and spectators, and the environment. The IOC needs to stop worrying about their image and act immediately to tell Rio that they need to find an alternate site now, otherwise the open water sports will be pulled and moved to another city. Disgusting.

They are alll responsible for that, either by incompetence or bad faith. Frankly, for the good of the games and NOT to expose athletes to the risks we have been warning all those years, Rio Committee, Fina and IOC should finally consider the possibility of holding events elsewhere.

You know it's not even a huge issue if they even moved the sailing events and any other events that require better-conditions open water. London had their sailing events at the Isle of Portland, which is about 140 miles from London. Beijing's sailing venue was over 400 miles away in Qingdao.

The problem is that we're a year away from the games and I haven't read any indication that they intend on moving the events elsewhere or have even been looking for a new area. And the water situation has been addressed for a long time now.

• Like 1

Monocle 24: Section D

As the Olympic Games in Rio approach, our correspondent dons a hard hat and takes a look at the near-completed Olympic Village. Plus we visit the ‘Disarming Design from Palestine’ exhibition in Ramallah, Josh Fehnert meets the Polish developers of new design application Tylko and we look at the history of the US Embassy in Havana as it re-opens.

Release date:

28 July 2015

https://soundcloud.com/monocle-24-section-d/section-d-edition-198

AP is reporting that, according to date from the Rio de Janeiro state government, the water at the triathlon venue (which is holding a test event this week-end) is unfit for swimming due to a high concentration of fecal bacteria. Hopefully they find an alternative venue for triathlon / open water swimming.

Olympic athletes spurn virus exposure warnings in Rio's contaminated waters

Sailors and other athletes preparing for the Olympics have been training for months in contaminated waters where the Rio Games will be held. Many believe moving events now would put them at a disadvantage, even though water-quality tests analyzed by the Associated Press show athletes have a high chance of being exposed to viruses.

AP Investigation: Olympic teams to swim, boat in Rio's filth

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Athletes in next year's Summer Olympics here will be swimming and boating in waters so contaminated with human feces that they risk becoming violently ill and unable to compete in the games, an Associated Press investigation has found.

An AP analysis of water quality revealed dangerously high levels of viruses and bacteria from human sewage in Olympic and Paralympic venues — results that alarmed international experts and dismayed competitors training in Rio, some of whom have already fallen ill with fevers, vomiting and diarrhea.

It is the first independent comprehensive testing for both viruses and bacteria at the Olympic sites.

And so media started the campaign against the next Olympic Games.

I'll get my popcorn and read the "independent study" AP got. Oh, oops. Unfortunately the study from a University in Brazil (wasn't Brazil that bad?) didn't presented its methodology.

Cancel the popcorn. It might be bad media again...

BTW, why water is in every thread of Rio 2016 section???

AP is reporting that, according to date from the Rio de Janeiro state government, the water at the triathlon venue (which is holding a test event this week-end) is unfit for swimming due to a high concentration of fecal bacteria. Hopefully they find an alternative venue for triathlon / open water swimming.

No, Rio de Janeiro state govt. said yesterday not a SINGLE case of illness was registered in the last ten years from people who swim in Copacabana - maybe the most crowded beach in the planet.

THE FACT:

The waters in the bay are polluted, specially in the north section.

The sailing event will take place in the entrance of the bay, almost open waters, where the quality of water is mostly fair.

Copacabana Beach is rarely polluted, but yes, **** - literally - happens.

The thing is: Rio lost a great great opportunity to clean its waters. There will be not much to celebrate after the games about water/sewage treatment legacy.

Again, our politicians made **** with stupid, expensive and utopic plans.

Will athletes be sick during the Olympics. Yes, a famous Brazilian sailor said some athletes are forcing Sailing IF to send the sailing event to Buzios since there Brazilians would have a more difficult course...

What makes me angry is all the sensationalism anglophone media is doing.

I swan in Rio beaches all my life and never got sick, even in Flamengo beach at the bay.

I truly want to understand why media need to do that?

...here's one form the New York Time

Filthy Rio de Janeiro Water a Threat at 2016 Olympics-New York Times

Brazilian officials say the water will be safe, but the A.P. testing over five months did not find one venue suitable for swimming or boating, according to international experts, who said it was too late for a cleanup.“What you have there is basically raw sewage,” said John Griffith, a marine biologist at the independent Southern California Coastal Water Research Project. Griffith examined the protocols, methodology and results of the A.P. tests. “It’s all the water from the toilets and the showers and whatever people put down their sinks, all mixed up, and it’s going out into the beach waters,” he said. In the United States, Griffith said, areas with such levels of contamination “would be shut down immediately.”