Rio 2016 Preparations - Venue & Infrastructure Developments

Good news, but again, if you go to Rio and ask where "João Havelange Stadium" is placed, not many will know what you are talking about.

In Brazil the stadium is known as Engenhão, after the name of the district around the stadium: Engenho de Dentro.

That's all very well, but commentators are going to call it by its real name. For the hundreds of millions watching on TV, I can understand why Rio would want to rename this stadium before the Games!

That's all very well, but commentators are going to call it by its real name. For the hundreds of millions watching on TV, I can understand why Rio would want to rename this stadium before the Games!

How many commentators did it during the World Cup calling stadiums as Plácido Castello, Octávio Mangabeira or Governador Magalhães Pinto?

That's why I disagree, Rob.

Spacially now, the olympic stadium name will probably change, and the tribute will for a very unknown name for international audience: Nilton Santos.

How many commentators did it during the World Cup calling stadiums as Plácido Castello, Octávio Mangabeira or Governador Magalhães Pinto?

That's why I disagree, Rob.

Spacially now, the olympic stadium name will probably change, and the tribute will for a very unknown name for international audience: Nilton Santos.

You said it yourself: These people are unknown for international audiences, very much unlike the godfather of FIFA. Like it or not, the name will certainly come up, and not only in British tabloids.

You said it yourself: These people are unknown for international audiences, very much unlike the godfather of FIFA. Like it or not, the name will certainly come up, and not only in British tabloids.

But I think there is nothing wrong on telling the history of the name of stadium if also telling why people in Rio wanted to change. Actually, it's something positive.

Anyway, officially, Havelange name won't be there and commentators can use it only as a trivia-like thing.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Commentators will use the name organisers give to the venue, even if that's not normally what it's called. So it's up to ROCOG to give the venues names which are best for visitors and TV viewers.

In London's case, we didn't know the names of a couple of the venues until January 2012

http://www.athletics-africa.com/a/articles/31/2012/01/10/london_2012_olympics_venues_christened_to_mark_200th_day_countdown.html

Commentators will use the name organisers give to the venue, even if that's not normally what it's called. So it's up to ROCOG to give the venues names which are best for visitors and TV viewers.

In London's case, we didn't know the names of a couple of the venues until January 2012

http://www.athletics-africa.com/a/articles/31/2012/01/10/london_2012_olympics_venues_christened_to_mark_200th_day_countdown.html

Names in Rio were already unveiled...

Future Arena, Carioca Hall, Rio Olympic Arena, All of them are in the website.

Engenhão (João Havelange) is just "Rio Olympic Stadium"

Rio shall stun the world senseless. I mean, this is just OBVIOUS given the sheer magnificence of the location and the materialisation of the plans.

Easy with the hyperbole. Pretty good chance Rio puts on an excellent Olympics. Far from 'OBVIOUS' this will be the case though. Stun the world senseless? Might be a little tough considering the world spent a month this past year focused on Brazil and seeing beautiful images of Rio. So what are we likely to see then than we haven't seen already. Probably not much.

Let's hope there is a carnival Spectacular for the ceremonies next year. I have grown TIRED with countries trying to shake how people perceive them. I can think of a good few ceremonies in the past - both winter and summer - by countries with astounding histories which could have been so ripe for the taking in terms of stadium theatre but, unfortunately, those countries didn't maximize it.

I was thinking the closing should have been in the Sambadrome.....can't get more Brazillian than that!

While that sounds amazing, I think it will be a security nightmare.

And Throne I too would like to know what Olympic ceremonies you are talking about. My guess would be London is one, Atlanta is another.