Rio 2016 Preparations - Venue & Infrastructure Developments

Moving on...

Olympic Village yesterday

Captura_de_tela_2014_05_20_12_45_53.png

Captura_de_tela_2014_05_20_12_46_05.png

Olympic Park

2014-712595145-2014050991926.jpg_2014050

Works in the athletes' village advance, and the Olympic Park reaches 20%

http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/obras-na-vila-dos-atletas-avancam-mas-no-parque-olimpico-nao-passam-de-20-12538002

The deadlines for the release of some tenders of arenas, both in Barra da Tijuca and Deodoro, were changed. If the works were ready too soon, Rio City Hall would have to pay for maintenance costs unnecessarily. In addition, details of the projects of the sports venues have been discussed at length with the international federations over the years. There were some details that were closed only recently, during the Winter Olympics in Sochi (Russia), in February this year according to High Performance Sports Ministry, Ricardo Leyser.

Nothing out of the ordinary here, don't know what the panic is about?

Olympic required work, BRT Transcarioca to be opened June, 1st.
Sunday, June 1, will be a day of fireworks to the Mayor of Rio, Eduardo Paes. The reason is the inauguration of the corridor express buses (BRT) Transcarioca, which will connect the International Airport to Barra da Tijuca.
The event will be attended by President Dilma Rousseff. The mayor will dance, beat bass drum, bugle to promote the work that cost $ 2.2 billion to taxpayers of the city of Rio de Janeiro.
The Transcarioca is 39 km long and has 45 stations. But, at the inauguration, only 22 stations will be in operation - including Airport final station and Terminal Alvorada in Barra. The promise is that the others will be ready later this year.
Better than pictures, an entire video of the BRT line

Edited by Danny El Tico

Heard a joke on NPR yesterday. (What's the name of the bay where Rowing will take place?) If the bay isn't cleaned up in 2 summers, the torch runner better not slip in that bay, otherwise, s/he would light the whole bay on fire!! :lol:

maybe there a new and spectacular couldron lighting scenario in there somewhere?

• Like 1

Changing the mood, some pictures from Olympic Park works

14105795817_b284da38e4_o.png

14105643829_d3c9e63b39_o.jpg

14269212526_43915cb5ba_o.png

First buildings starts to appear

And a time-lapse video to be sure the works have been done at full steam...

Somebody said Rio infra-structure projects haven't been done.

This is Avenida das Americas, the main highway in Barra Cluster.

Here, Westbound of Av. das Americas in 2009

10355398_749359051753925_125811698810298

Here, same location in 2012

12728_749359055087258_618295531840053200

Its at the start of 2016 when you get to see just how much transformation has taken place.

Big ups to Rio and to our Brazillian members, yes you are going to get some flak but in the end you can hold your heads high.

• Like 1

City of Rio receives three proposals for buildings in Deodoro

Three companies submitted bids for the construction and renovation of facilities in the southern part of Deodoro Sports Complex, which will receive 11 Olympic sports and four Paralympic Games in 2016. The value of the works is about $ 75 million.

Sports such as horseback riding and basketball will be played in Deodoro.

The southern area of ​​the Complex includes the National Equestrian Centre, where the equestrian competitions of the Cross Country, Jumping and Dressage should happen. Will also be built the new veterinary clinic and Village handlers.

The city of Rio receives this May 30 proposals for implementation in the northern area of ​​the complex Diodorus, which includes the Slalom Stadium, Lane Mountain Bike, BMX track, the National Shooting Centre, Arena Rugby and Combined Modern Pentathlon, the Diodorus Arena - where they happen Pentathlon fencing and women's basketball preliminaries - the Center for Field Hockey and the Modern Pentathlon swimming pool. The investment for the area north of US$ 300 million.

According to the schedule for the Olympics, the works of Diodorus complex should begin in August or September. It is expected to be delivered in the first half of 2016.

President of Sewage Company of State of Rio de Janeiro interview about Guanabara Bay

http://odia.ig.com.br/noticia/rio-de-janeiro/2014-05-28/baia-de-guanabara-tera-aguas-limpas-ate-as-olimpiadas-diz-presidente-da-cedae.html

How to solve the pollution of Guanabara Bay for the Olympics?

The great challenge of the Bay is the reduction of trash floating to the Games. Today, due to improvements made by INEA (State of Rio de Janeiro Environmental Institute) in part of the bay where the competitions (Sail) happen, the water is within international standards. You will ask: Problem solved? No, at all! There's a lot of garbage to be collected.
There are lots of complaints about trash at bay. The action will be sufficient?
This complaint is very pertinent. Much of the waste that comes from rivers in other cities that are in the Bay. Over the next 45 days the barriers will be rebuilt.
I'm quite comfortable because I am resident of the area, and I see this in my situção transport up at home all day. We will greatly reduce the floating garbage arriving at the beach. And also of pollution caused by waste.
What is the most difficult to clean up?
The scenario is not difficult. The problem with Bay is that it has never been thought of in terms of engineering. Today, we can cliam several projects have been completed, because the way we work has changed. Many works have been delivered. One of the biggest, the Wastewater Treatment Station of Alegria was delivered. Following, we inaugurate Sarapuí after Pavuna and now São Gonçalo.
There was lack of coordination then?
Yes. Sometimes we had the treatment plant, we had a network ready, but we had no collector trunk. Or had the trunk, had network but had no station. In all these systems it happened. It was surreal. The works were carried out separately. It's like if you were producing a car and had a company to make the steering wheel, one for the car and one for the wheel.
Rio de Janeiro ends the works before the 2016 Games?
Regarding the Bay, I can guarantee this: I was part of the group when the city was a candidate and made a presentation to members of the International Olympic Committee. I can guarantee that all work will be ready by the Games and will do much more than promised. There are many works that were not even in the commitments and will be made. The sewage treatment Paqueta Island, in the middle of the Guanabara Bay, was not part of the works and we are ending this year. Many works are already in operation.

Renovations of Alvorada Bus/BRT Terminal in Barra da Tijuca. DONE

14133651419_4da2d26b37_b.jpg

This Terminal renovation was mandatory for the success of transportation link between clusters during Rio 2016.
Already operating.

BRT bridges near Olympic Park

14133652479_04241cb023_b.jpg

And one of the BRT buses arriving at Alvorada Terminal

14316956361_fdef77c844_b.jpg

Brazil loves a goog BRT!

Brazlian pride. We invented it, so...

I'm glad you Australians likes it too

Sydney%20Buses%20T-Way%20Mercedes%20O405

2600902_orig.jpg

We love BRT so much that the biggest bus in the world runs in Curitiba (the city that invented BRT system).

Onibus_ligeirao_curitiba_1.jpg

How Deodoro Park will look like

10447615_587235158041585_321544941516689The bid for construction was successfully ended and the works must start in 3 months.

This is one of those venues that are the reason for pointless cost.
  • Like 2

Does anybody have pics about the construction of "Linha 4" and the extension of "Linha 1"? Will be "Linha 3" started before the Olympic Games or will they wait until the Games are over?

Line 3 is a line between two other cities (Niteroi and Sao Gonçalo) in Metro area of Rio (and actually far away from Rio, in the other side of the bay).

This line have nothing to do with Rio directly.

metroniteroivalendo.jpg

So far, all we have for Olympics... :rolleyes:

10429362_754038041286026_225110932326663

10394827_754038321285998_442672186248626

I asked the question on "skyscraper city", too and I was told, that Linha 4 resp. the extension of Linha1 are under construction and will be finished before the Olympic Games.

Which would be very good, since I would love to take an accommodation in Impanema or Copacabna - if the extension of Linha 1 and the LInha 4 isn't opened before the Olympics I have to use the LInha1/Linha 2 around the hilly center of Rio to get to Deodoro or Maracana...

I asked the question on "skyscraper city", too and I was told, that Linha 4 resp. the extension of Linha1 are under construction and will be finished before the Olympic Games.

Which would be very good, since I would love to take an accommodation in Impanema or Copacabna - if the extension of Linha 1 and the LInha 4 isn't opened before the Olympics I have to use the LInha1/Linha 2 around the hilly center of Rio to get to Deodoro or Maracana...

Line 4 will be the link between Copacabana-Ipanema and Barra

Line1-Line 2 is the link between Copacabana-Ipanema and Maracanã

From Copacabana-Ipanema to Deodoro there will be two options:

Go from Copacabana to Central Station Line 1 of subway and there get one of the new suburban trains to Deodoro Station (also for Athletics Stadium, Engenho de Dentro station)

Go from Copacabana to Barra via Line 4, get the BRT Transoeste to Terminal Alvorada, and there get the BRT Transolímpica to Deodoro.

Rio_mapa_Henryabreu.jpg

Copacabana and Ipanema are in the bottom right (Ipanema-General Osório station) and Copacabana are the next 3 (Cantagalo, Siqueira Campo and Cardeal Arcoverde).

Alvorada (lower center) will be the main terminal for BRTs for you. To get Olympic Park (in this chart named "Trevo Curicica" - they will change the name to "Olympic Park"), and to Deodoro, follow the yellow BRT line.

(Of course this chart shows some lines that will be ready in future)

As we getting near to the games, I'll prepare a map excluding the non-relevant information.

Great to see the construction work progressing in between football matches :D

People, especially some here on GBF, need to realize snapping your fingers doesn't make facilities magically appear!

Edited by #rescue Our Girls NOW!

The construction of Line 4 of Rio's metro service, a crucial project for the 2016 Games and the city's residents, has reached an important milestone with the installation of 400 metres of track in the first tunnel to be completed.

The new line, scheduled to start operating in 2016, will link Barra da Tijuca - the large neighbourhood in the west of Rio that will host the Olympic Park - with Ipanema in the south zone, providing easy connections onwards to Copacabana, the city centre and north zone.

The tracks have been laid in the tunel that links Barra with São Conrado - it is the largest tunnel in the world that has been dug through rock between two metro stations. Another 300 metres of track will be laid every week. More than 1,100 sections of track - each 18 metres long and weighing more than a tonne - will be used to complete the tracks, in both directions, in the Barra-São Conrado tunnel.

“The Line 4 project employs nearly 8,000 workers and when finished it will serve 300,000 passengers per day,” said Rodrigo Vieira, from the state government's special projects department.

Line 4, which will have a total length of 16km, is one of the transport projects that has been accelerated because of the Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games. It is estimated that the new line will result in about 2,000 fewer vehicles per hour on the road during peak times.

There will be six new stations - Jardim Oceânico, São Conrado, Gávea, Antero de Quental, Jardim de Alah and Nossa Senhora da Paz - that will integrate with the existing metro Lines 1 and 2. It will be possible to travel from Barra to Ipanema in 15 minutes and from Barra to the city centre in 34 minutes.

• Like 1