Rio 2016 Preparations - Venue & Infrastructure Developments

Based on reports, those well-organized human resources do not currently exist in Rio.

So, it's impressive how Brazilian companies based in Rio were able to be in Forbes 500 or Forbes 100...

Or how the company I work for, that is based in Rio, is the 2nd biggest in the planet in a business Americans invented...

Poor generalism.

You guys will never understand Brazil. We have the best and the worst side by side. You can say our human resources are generally poor. But not all of them.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Honestly all these Rio threads are ruined based on the constant arguments over Brazil :( A friendly suggestion Danny to maybe stop taking the bait from Brazil haters. I think Brazil will do a wonderful job and I can't wait to visit there someday maybe for the olympics :D

• Like 1

Honestly all these Rio threads are ruined based on the constant arguments over Brazil :( A friendly suggestion Danny to maybe stop taking the bait from Brazil haters. I think Brazil will do a wonderful job and I can't wait to visit there someday maybe for the olympics :D

You are welcome. We are waiting you with open arms.

About the threads. It's amazing how people who live thousands of miles away think they can know more about the country I live in.

I commute everyday, I go out with friends, I drive, I have holidays trips, I have relatives living in other states. And the Brazil that people post here is not the same Brazil I live in.

Now ALL human resources here are poor? They have no idea about what they are talking about...

• Like 2

So, it's impressive how Brazilian companies based in Rio were able to be in Forbes 500 or Forbes 100...

Or how the company I work for, that is based in Rio, is the 2nd biggest in the planet in a business Americans invented...

Poor generalism.

You guys will never understand Brazil. We have the best and the worst side by side. You can say our human resources are generally poor. But not all of them.

Danny, having strong corporate organization is not the same as having a well-organized and prepared Olympic Organizing Committee.

I'm not saying that leadership and organization don't exist in Brazil. I'm saying that, as I understand it, the IOC doesn't see enough of that organization and preparedness in Rio 2016.

Folks here are talking as if the 2016 organizing committee is completely halted. Job opportunities, trainee programs and volunteering are basically the most frequent news we get from the official page and other sources. But, as people said here before, this is what is expected from a host city and stories like these won't make the news. Media reports will say nothing about the progresses being made and foreigners, reading nothing of portuguese, will believe the crisis is much much more serious than it truly is until Dannyel gets out of his way to bring loads of first hand pics - because, guess what, he is the only person here experiencing Rio de Janeiro on a daily basis - and while trying to argue with people he'll be dismissed or called a fool in the most arrogant way as an answer. This is GamesBids tradition from the bid days...

Seriously, we (Brazilians) have been through all this media bashing and cancelation threats before in 2007 and 2013, hosting highly praised editions (by the time) of the Pan American Games and Confederations Cup. Despite the very delicate and new political moment we're living (growing pains,maybe) the World Cup kicks off in one month and it is set to be a success.

If the IOC (IPC is fine) and the IFs didn't threat to relocate the 2016 games until now it probably means they're furious with something else other than the pace of works: City hall, among other things, is refusing to open the wallet to the IOC and IF's abusive demands and that is a big reason why they're whining. Brazil is no Russia and when the government get its act together (after october) Olympic projects will take off to attend to (I hope) reasonable demands. I am very glad the IOC is about to learn that their games are very disruptive and undesirable the way they're now in the global context. It's good news the democracies are refusing the games or pressing for deep changes and I truly hope Brazilian protests help put some sense in the IOC and IFs in the following months even if it comes at the cost of those old man declaring 2016 the worst.

• Like 1

You are welcome. We are waiting you with open arms.

About the threads. It's amazing how people who live thousands of miles away think they can know more about the country I live in.

I commute everyday, I go out with friends, I drive, I have holidays trips, I have relatives living in other states. And the Brazil that people post here is not the same Brazil I live in.

Now ALL human resources here are poor? They have no idea about what they are talking about...

You are so instantly defensive that you don't bother reading carefully. No one is saying Brazil lacks human resources. Apparently Rio 2016 hasn't sufficiently organized, prepared, educated and trained the human resources they do have.

I think it's unfair how many people here discredit many capable nations like Brazil, Turkey, Poland, etc. In the end, they will make great Games, at least better than c****y edition like 1976 or 1996. Even the games held in Attiki and Piedmont, did it better than Quebec and Georgia. :rolleyes:

Saying Rio 2016 is disorganized and behind schedule is true.

It is not the same thing as "discrediting" Brazil, Turkey, Poland.

Saying Rio 2016 is disorganized and behind schedule is true.

It is not the same thing as "discrediting" Brazil, Turkey, Poland.

The line between both have been very blurred here in the threads.

You are so instantly defensive that you don't bother reading carefully. No one is saying Brazil lacks human resources. Apparently Rio 2016 hasn't sufficiently organized, prepared, educated and trained the human resources they do have.

It was written Rio, not Rio 2016 committee. Rio is a city. Rio 2016 committee is an Olympic Games organization.

Danny, having strong corporate organization is not the same as having a well-organized and prepared Olympic Organizing Committee.

Agreed. Specially when politicians are the ones choosing people to be part of it.

It was written Rio, not Rio 2016 committee. Rio is a city. Rio 2016 committee is an Olympic Games organization.

That's the way all the hosts are referred to: "London did this...." "Vancouver did that...." People don't always specify, nor should they. You're just hyper-sensitive and defensive.

This thread is about the organization of the Games, which has not gone especially well. Much of that is due to the organizing committee, but some of it is also due to the city (despite Mr. Paes protestations) and the rest of the government. It is not totally clear at this point who is responsible for what and assigning guilt is not going to help anything. The reality is that the project is not going well and needs to get on track quickly. There's nothing wrong with saying simply "Rio."

Just because we post some truths about delayed preparations in Brazil, Rio is delayed, they don't look like they will finish on time, doesn't make anyone a Brazil hater. You can't act and hide all defensively by just saying, they are a Brazil hater. Live up to the truth and the facts.

That's the way all the hosts are referred to: "London did this...." "Vancouver did that...." People don't always specify, nor should they. You're just hyper-sensitive and defensive.

This thread is about the organization of the Games, which has not gone especially well. Much of that is due to the organizing committee, but some of it is also due to the city (despite Mr. Paes protestations) and the rest of the government. It is not totally clear at this point who is responsible for what and assigning guilt is not going to help anything. The reality is that the project is not going well and needs to get on track quickly. There's nothing wrong with saying simply "Rio."

1. Forget "me"... Why all coments must have "Danny this", "Danny that". Stick to the arguments. I don't call you any adjective and I wouldn't, even by reading not a single good comment on Rio from you for years and be really comfy to call you "biased", but I tend to believe you are only worried with the preparations because you are an Olympic fan.

2. It was a misunderstood, I try to be very clear about Rio city, Rio committee, Rio state, Rio city hall.... The rest, I agree.

Just because we post some truths about delayed preparations in Brazil, Rio is delayed, they don't look like they will finish on time, doesn't make anyone a Brazil hater. You can't act and hide all defensively by just saying, they are a Brazil hater. Live up to the truth and the facts.

Again, where did I say you are a Rio-hater or Rio is not delayed (RIO IS DELAYED, I'M WORRIED, GET THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

I can live, and in fact I live (literally) with many delays in public works, stupid authorities and all the sort of Brazilian stuff... ...here in Brazil!!!

I never said Rio is not delayed. Deodoro had no works so far, Olympic Park had a late start and Subway works worries me a hell. I only pointed the "picture" press is selling is not exactly that bad, and maybe - and only maybe - because I live in Brazil, can check informations locally, I'm a user of Brazilian (portuguese-speaking) threads of SSC and - how can be? - I know Rio better than anyone here, I can say some different POV in some stuff.

Is that too much to understand?

Edited by DannyelBrazil

1. Forget "me"... Why all coments must have "Danny this", "Danny that". Stick to the arguments. I don't call you any adjective and I wouldn't, even by reading not a single good comment on Rio from you for years and be really comfy to call you "biased", but I tend to believe you are only worried with the preparations because you are an Olympic fan.

2. It was a misunderstood, I try to be very clear about Rio city, Rio committee, Rio state, Rio city hall.... The rest, I agree.

Again, where did I say you are a Rio-hater or Rio is not delayed (RIO IS DELAYED, I'M WORRIED, GET THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

I can live, and in fact I live (literally) with many delays in public works, stupid authorities and all the sort of Brazilian stuff... ...here in Brazil!!!

I never said Rio is not delayed. Deodoro had no works so far, Olympic Park had a late start and Subway works worries me a hell. I only pointed the "picture" press is selling is not exactly that bad, and maybe - and only maybe - because I live in Brazil, can check informations locally, I'm a user of Brazilian (portuguese-speaking) threads of SSC and - how can be? - I know Rio better than anyone here, I can say some different POV in some stuff.

Is that too much to understand?

Why are you getting defensive? Did I write your name or quote you in my last post? Proves you feel your guilty of throwing accusations or being defensive. I never said Danny in the last post.

Why are you getting defensive? Did I write your name or quote you in my last post? Proves you feel your guilty of throwing accusations or being defensive. I never said Danny in the last post.

That's ridiculous, I'm the only Brazilian here, the one that can be "defensive" (actually lost the count how many adjectives and how many times I was called defensive)

• Like 1

That's ridiculous, I'm the only Brazilian here, the one that can be "defensive" (actually lost the count how many adjectives and how many times I was called defensive)

Not true. There's also that dickhead Mr. Catra. Whatever happened to him?

• Like 1

This board is just filled with nationalistic, ignorant, and sensitive people. Not saying that everyone is and I'm not naming names, but those people exist and they are making this board very boring and ridiculous.

In other news concept art leaked of a Brazil pavilion @ Disney Worlds Epcot! Bring on the Carnival (honestly this will be the first major addition to Epcot since the 80's at this point Disney fans are having their own Carnival)

Not true. There's also that dickhead Mr. Catra. Whatever happened to him?

Not true. I am also here.

This board is just filled with nationalistic, ignorant, and sensitive people. Not saying that everyone is and I'm not naming names, but those people exist and they are making this board very boring and ridiculous.

In other news concept art leaked of a Brazil pavilion @ Disney Worlds Epcot! Bring on the Carnival (honestly this will be the first major addition to Epcot since the 80's at this point Disney fans are having their own Carnival)

Great news, Mr. Bernham. Thousands of Brazilians that go to Disney World every year have been waiting for this for quite a long time!

Excuse me, maybe you're the only carioca here. -_-

I address my posts to you because I am talking to you.

It is false that I haven't made any positive comment "in years." I have highly praised Rio's excellent pictograms. I praised their beautiful bid logo. I said their OC has the potential to be extraordinary. I said much of the setting of the Games will be beautiful.

Realistically, what else can I praise? (Ok, the airport remodel looks good.) The reality is that not enough has been finished for us to rave about how amazing Rio will be. There aren't beautiful new venues to talk about. We can't praise the organization. Ok, they remodeled Maracana, but it's hardly an earth-shaking transformation and the stadium needed to be upgraded anyway.

So Danny, you complain I am not praising Rio enough, but what is it that they are doing so well that it is worthy of praise?

I have said I hope the Games are successful for the sake of Brazil and the athletes. I do hope that, but it is also reasonable to be troubled by some of the reports.

As for the second point, a very key part of the problem with delays is that it is unclear as to who is holding up the process (committee, city, state, country). It is the lack of cooperation and clear communication between the organizing committee and the various levels of government that has resulted in these delays. It is not always possible to assign responsibility to the correct group, because the division of responsibility is unclear.

• Like 1

I address my posts to you because I am talking to you.

It is false that I haven't made any positive comment "in years." I have highly praised Rio's excellent pictograms. I praised their beautiful bid logo. I said their OC has the potential to be extraordinary. I said much of the setting of the Games will be beautiful.

Realistically, what else can I praise? (Ok, the airport remodel looks good.) The reality is that not enough has been finished for us to rave about how amazing Rio will be. There aren't beautiful new venues to talk about. We can't praise the organization. Ok, they remodeled Maracana, but it's hardly an earth-shaking transformation and the stadium needed to be upgraded anyway.

So Danny, you complain I am not praising Rio enough, but what is it that they are doing so well that it is worthy of praise?

I have said I hope the Games are successful for the sake of Brazil and the athletes. I do hope that, but it is also reasonable to be troubled by some of the reports.

As for the second point, a very key part of the problem with delays is that it is unclear as to who is holding up the process (committee, city, state, country). It is the lack of cooperation and clear communication between the organizing committee and the various levels of government that has resulted in these delays. It is not always possible to assign responsibility to the correct group, because the division of responsibility is unclear.

As I thought you are an Olympic fan worried with the Olympic, probably more than I am.

Athensfan, I'm really worried and I agree (40th time I say it to you) with most of what you post about: this is not adequate preparations, Rio is delayed, our authorities are idiots... Not arguing against it. Not a single line.

My point is, there are a lot of inaccurate reports on media, there is some obscure stuff happening on IOC towards Rio games and some arguments used here on the threads seems absurds sometimes.

That's all.

So, let's wait and see next developments on the preparations.

And the nice airport remodel was from Sao Paulo one. The Rio Int'l just right now looks like it was placed somewhere in the 70s... I feel really ashamed of the airport we will welcome tourists for the World Cup. Still, no more government operating it from August on, actually, Changi will operate it, it's like going from deep the hell to the heaven. I'm really hopeful.

Excuse me, maybe you're the only carioca here. -_-

I was mentioning the very talking I was having with Tony. Yes, you, thor, Bezzi, Catra, Monteverde and even Rogerio Andrade are around always. Only missing Cauê lately.

Link? WDW fan here.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Danny, I'm a huge Olympic Fan, otherwise I wouldn't be on these Forums. I can assure you that I want Rio to succeed, I want Rio to be finished on time, I want the Athletes and us Fans to have a Brilliant experience, but that doesn't shy away from the truth, that at the present moment, Rio is delayed (I acknowledge that you acknowledge this aswell I must add). I just want to stress, the Maria Lenk Aquatics Centre is not ready. A Training Pool is essential for an Olympic Games. The London Aquatics Centre has a Training Pool. The Water Cube in Beijing has a Training Pool. If Maria Lenk hasn't got that Training Pool and is not up to IOC/FINA Standards, it's not ready for Competition. The Maracana and the HSBC Arena are ready. If the Rio 2016 Games were to start tomorrow, the Maracana and HSBC Arena would be ready without anymore works. I'm afraid those are the only Venues that are ready for Rio 2016 (As well as the Football Venues, Mineirao, Belo Horizonte; National Stadium, Brasilia; Maracana, Rio de Janeiro (As I already stated) and the Arena Fonte Nova, Salvador. Arena Corinthians isn't ready. The Golf Course is delayed, as stated in the article I posted to back up Ofan97's point. The Athletes Village is progressing really well, but isn't ready yet. The New Aquatics Centre, the Velodrome, the Halls and alot of the other Venues and Infrastructure are delayed and at this moment in time, don't look to be ready for Test Events. On a last note, I make a huge point in pointing out that I want Rio to be successful.

Good.

Just to clarify

Maracanazinho needs expanions on the locker rooms.

Arena Fonte Nova is ready since last year.

Arena Curitiba is the one still to be finished.

The Golf course is not delayed.

Nothing to add besides this.

Good.

Just to clarify

Maracanazinho needs expanions on the locker rooms.

Arena Fonte Nova is ready since last year.

Arena Curitiba is the one still to be finished.

The Golf course is not delayed.

Nothing to add besides this.

Maracanazinho is not ready, it's classified as a Renovation.

I did say Arena Fonte Nova is ready.

Curitiba and Sao Paulo are both not ready for the 2014 Fifa World Cup.

The Golf Course is delayed, because the article I posted, reckons they won't have time for Test Events, so it's delayed.

• Like 1