Rio 2016 Preparations - Venue & Infrastructure Developments

Yawns. At the end of the day, all Media will and can lie to make a Story and Money and Rio is delayed.

Rio is delayed, not as much as British press is trying to sell, and give some empty hope to British people about a London 2016 games.

Rio is delayed, not as much as British press is trying to sell, and give some empty hope to British people about a London 2016 games.

Danny, let it go. As I said in my earlier post, there's not a cat in hell's chance of the games being moved to London or anywhere else. Nor would anyone in London want them (try asking Londoners how they would feel about having to pay for another round of Olympics after all the grumbling there was over paying for the first lot)! It's just one trashy article from a trashy newspaper. The IOC have completely squashed any such idea and that should be an end to it. No point in keeping on arguing with Tony about the merits of British tabloid journalism. No one cares!

The 2016 Olympics will be in Rio where they should be and everyone will pull together to make sure it happens and they will be a great success!

Now let's all move on...please! ;)

Edited by Mainad
  • Like 1

I don't think the British people want to host the Olympics in 2016. I think they're just thumping their own chests by pointing out how much better they were in comparison. It is pathetic.

The truth is that London's organization was superb and Rio's is poor. That's evident to everyone and the Brits should be grown up enough to let it go instead of trumpeting their superiority.

Part of the problem, at least from the IOC's point of view, appears to be that the Brazilians do not seem to recognize how behind they really are. Your posts would seem to support this.

It's not just a matter of having venues built. There needs to be a vast organizational network to run the Games. Both the venues and the organizational network need extensive testing. Time is running out.

I don't think the British people want to host the Olympics in 2016. I think they're just thumping their own chests by pointing out how much better they were in comparison. It is pathetic.

The truth is that London's organization was superb and Rio's is poor. That's evident to everyone and the Brits should be grown up enough to let it go instead of trumpeting their superiority.

Part of the problem, at least from the IOC's point of view, appears to be that the Brazilians do not seem to recognize how behind they really are. Your posts would seem to support this.

It's not just a matter of having venues built. There needs to be a vast organizational network to run the Games. Both the venues and the organizational network need extensive testing. Time is running out.

Please read what I just posted. Nobody in Britain is trumpeting anything (apart from one trashy newspaper that's desparately looking around for something scandalous to print). Everyone in Britain is looking forward to the Rio Games and the carnivalesque atmosphere we are hoping the Brazilians will bring to them.

You have an irritating habit of projecting something negative like this onto 'the British people' in general which tends to reinforce my suspicion that you have some kind of complex about us despite what you say.

Excuse me? We don't need to up ourselves, we know we delivered a brilliant Games. We were on time, Legacy minded and Environmentally Friendly. So, just because 1 Paper writes a story, doesn't represent all of us.

Excuse me? We don't need to up ourselves, we know we delivered a brilliant Games. We were on time, Legacy minded and Environmentally Friendly. So, just because 1 Paper writes a story, doesn't represent all of us.

Well, like you said:

I believe in something, you believe in something different. We disagree, we don't change.

With that said, YOU DO NOT REPRESENT THE ENTIRE UNITED KINGDOM. You may have your opinions, but others (*cough* tabloid journalists *cough*) may not.

^the caps were meant to emphasized, not yelled (sorry)

*to be emphasized

Please read what I just posted. Nobody in Britain is trumpeting anything (apart from one trashy newspaper that's desparately looking around for something scandalous to print). Everyone in Britain is looking forward to the Rio Games and the carnivalesque atmosphere we are hoping the Brazilians will bring to them.

You have an irritating habit of projecting something negative like this onto 'the British people' in general which tends to reinforce my suspicion that you have some kind of complex about us despite what you say.

Oh for crying out loud. That chip on your shoulder must be getting heavy. I thought it was understood that this conversation was about the media and that's why I didn't specify.

I'm not painting the whole country with the same brush. I understand the Evening Standard is going off half-cocked, but others have picked up the story. It is extremely disappointing that the papers behave this way. However, they wouldn't do it if they didn't think it would help them sell their product -- that does say something.

I would never say the entire country believes the same thing and I apologize if that's how it sounded.

Oh for crying out loud. That chip on your shoulder must be getting heavy. I thought it was understood that this conversation was about the media and that's why I didn't specify.

I'm not painting the whole country with the same brush. I understand the Evening Standard is going off half-cocked, but others have picked up the story. It is extremely disappointing that the papers behave this way. However, they wouldn't do it if they didn't think it would help them sell their product -- that does say something.

I would never say the entire country believes the same thing and I apologize if that's how it sounded.

Apology accepted. Anyway, for the 50,000th Time, any Media will only Post to make Money. It's like, if you had a business, would you sell a product that you wouldn't make Money from? It's the same thing, ALL Media will only post what creates a story, which creates money.

Psst - Danny - you are (trying to) talk to a child. Let it go.

I'm 17. What I'm pointing out is, 1 Newspaper doesn't represent the whole Media and it's not just British Media reporting on the matter.

Athensfan I'm not supporting anything from Brazilian authorities. Again and again, where did I say Rio preparations are running smoothly?

Just answer me.

I'm 17. What I'm pointing out is, 1 Newspaper doesn't represent the whole Media and it's not just British Media reporting on the matter.

It's the way British press reports it, not the fact they are reporting.

This is what you posted:

"I don't think the British people want to host the Olympics in 2016. I think they're just thumping their own chests by pointing out how much better they were in comparison. It is pathetic.

The truth is that London's organization was superb and Rio's is poor. That's evident to everyone and the Brits should be grown up enough to let it go instead of trumpeting their superiority."

So you twice made a reference to the British people and to the Brits, so forgive me for thinking it wasn't only the media you were talking about! Then, when you are called out, you immediately get on your high horse and pretend you never said anything of the sort! So let's get it clear: there are the British PEOPLE (or the BRITS if you like), the vast majority of whom are looking forward to the 2016 Games being in Rio, and then there are elements of the British tabloid PRESS that like to print sensational and unfounded stories when there is not enough actual real news to report or exaggerate on.

It's not rocket science to be clear what we are actually talking about, is it?

Edited by Mainad
  • Like 2

This is what you posted:

"I don't think the British people want to host the Olympics in 2016. I think they're just thumping their own chests by pointing out how much better they were in comparison. It is pathetic.

The truth is that London's organization was superb and Rio's is poor. That's evident to everyone and the Brits should be grown up enough to let it go instead of trumpeting their superiority."

So you twice made a reference to the British people and to the Brits, so forgive me for thinking it wasn't only the media you were talking about! Then, when you are called out, you immediately get on your high horse and pretend you never said anything of the sort! So let's get it clear: there are the British PEOPLE (or the BRITS if you like), the vast majority of whom are looking forward to the 2016 Games being in Rio, and then there are elements of the British tabloid PRESS that like to print sensational and unfounded stories when there is not enough actual real news to report or exaggerate on.

It's not rocket science to be clear what we are actually talking about, is it?

You need to read in context. My post was a response to Danny. He wrote:

"Rio is delayed, not as much as British press is trying to sell, and give some empty hope to British people about a London 2016 games."

In response I wrote:

"I don't think the British people want to host the Olympics in 2016."

Every other time I used the word "they" or "the Brits" it was in reference to the British press -- not every citizen of the British isles. I did not make an effort to clarify this as I thought it would be understood. Obviously I was wrong. This is the second time I have explained to you. I have already apologized if it sounded otherwise as that was not my intent. Still, you insist on rehashing this.

I also love the way you skip over the fact that I pointed out London's organization was "superb."

Defensive much?

So do you agree with me that claiming all the preparations are behind schedule is inaccurate?

No.

It's like homework, you should not receive a treat for doing it because it's expected of you to do it. Success in venue construction will not be reported because it's expected of a host city.

Athensfan I'm not supporting anything from Brazilian authorities. Again and again, where did I say Rio preparations are running smoothly?

Just answer me.

It's the way British press reports it, not the fact they are reporting.

Athens is trying to say that Brazil is having a hard time realizing that it's not just venues that need to be built, it's excitement, test events, etc. We are five years in and some venues are *almost* finished. This leaves two years to actually organize the event.

The president of the International Golf Federation said that it's unlikely the golf venue will be ready in time for a test event in 2015. It's very unfortunate and extremely unfair to the IF's that they have to go through this and even consider "plan b's".

Stop debating whether media is biased for the country Of course it is Just like British Media says the WC will suck Brazil will say it's going to be the best ever. Pointless argument Just stop it

I'd love to read any Brazilian news talking about 2014 as the best ever WC. Never seen a single Brazilian journalist writing lightly about 2014 even before the country was awarded it.

• Like 1

Stop debating whether media is biased for the country Of course it is Just like British Media says the WC will suck Brazil will say it's going to be the best ever. Pointless argument Just stop it

Not even the public government news TV Brasil will ever claim that. You can't imagine how Brazilian media is putting the mood so low about the World Cup...

The difference is most of our media uses accurate pictures, reasonable arguments, two sides of the story are interviewed (indeed, some interviews with Minister of Sports have been very hard)...

Things we don't see in the international media... Only one side of the story, old pictures, stupid arguments, crazy news and some invented ones...

The president of the International Golf Federation said that it's unlikely the golf venue will be ready in time for a test event in 2015. It's very unfortunate and extremely unfair to the IF's that they have to go through this and even consider "plan b's".

Link?

Because they will plant the grass in the upcoming week and the pictures of the works in the golf course are really good, actually.

And all the grass will raise until september.

Irriga%C3%A7%C3%A3o-do-Campo-de-Golfe-Ol

From Lancenet, last week:

http://blogs.lancenet.com.br/rio2016/2014/05/09/comeca-a-irrigacao-do-campo-de-golfe/

The of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games on Friday received its first irrigation. That's when the test system, which was all imported from the United States occurred.

Responsible for seven of the 12 lawns of the World Cup stadiums, including the Maracanã, Greenleaf explained that he has followed the dictates of the International Golf Federation (IGF) to take care of the grass of the Olympic facility.

According to the company, the type of grass used on the golf course are Zeon Zoyzia in 80% of the field, and Sea Dwarf otherwise in very different grass used in football, the type of Bermuda.

The prediction is that the planting of grass will be completed by the end of September. golf course

Athens is trying to say that Brazil is having a hard time realizing that it's not just venues that need to be built, it's excitement, test events, etc. We are five years in and some venues are *almost* finished. This leaves two years to actually organize the event.

No, it's not "some venues", a part of the venues are there, some even ready, some need "renovations"/complimentary required stuff, some is delayed, some didn't started. That's the whole picture.

To claim no single venue is ready is bullshit. Maracana is ready, Sambadrome is ready, HSBC Arena is ready without needs of "renovations".

That's my final call over it. If you guys wants to believe no single stadia is ready, a warm-up pool is something huge to be built, it's up to you guys.

No.

It's like homework, you should not receive a treat for doing it because it's expected of you to do it. Success in venue construction will not be reported because it's expected of a host city.

Report only one of the story is bad journalism. First day of class of "Theory of Journalism".

And to make a complete coverage of the Rio PREPARATIONS, you must cover what is being prepared and what is not being prepared.

You need to read in context. My post was a response to Danny. He wrote:

"Rio is delayed, not as much as British press is trying to sell, and give some empty hope to British people about a London 2016 games."

In response I wrote:

"I don't think the British people want to host the Olympics in 2016."

Every other time I used the word "they" or "the Brits" it was in reference to the British press -- not every citizen of the British isles. I did not make an effort to clarify this as I thought it would be understood. Obviously I was wrong. This is the second time I have explained to you. I have already apologized if it sounded otherwise as that was not my intent. Still, you insist on rehashing this.

I also love the way you skip over the fact that I pointed out London's organization was "superb."

Defensive much?

I don't think British people is hoping the games to be held in London again too, but some journalists in British press are selling this story. I was very clear saying this.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Not even the public government news TV Brasil will ever claim that. You can't imagine how Brazilian media is putting the mood so low about the World Cup...

The difference is most of our media uses accurate pictures, reasonable arguments, two sides of the story are interviewed (indeed, some interviews with Minister of Sports have been very hard)...

Things we don't see in the international media... Only one side of the story, old pictures, stupid arguments, crazy news and some invented ones...

Link?

Because they will plant the grass in the upcoming week and the pictures of the works in the golf course are really good, actually.

And all the grass will raise until september.

Irriga%C3%A7%C3%A3o-do-Campo-de-Golfe-Ol

From Lancenet, last week:

http://blogs.lancenet.com.br/rio2016/2014/05/09/comeca-a-irrigacao-do-campo-de-golfe/

The of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games on Friday received its first irrigation. That's when the test system, which was all imported from the United States occurred.

Responsible for seven of the 12 lawns of the World Cup stadiums, including the Maracanã, Greenleaf explained that he has followed the dictates of the International Golf Federation (IGF) to take care of the grass of the Olympic facility.

According to the company, the type of grass used on the golf course are Zeon Zoyzia in 80% of the field, and Sea Dwarf otherwise in very different grass used in football, the type of Bermuda.

The prediction is that the planting of grass will be completed by the end of September. golf course

No, it's not "some venues", a part of the venues are there, some even ready, some need "renovations"/complimentary required stuff, some is delayed, some didn't started. That's the whole picture.

To claim no single venue is ready is bullshit. Maracana is ready, Sambadrome is ready, HSBC Arena is ready without needs of "renovations".

That's my final call over it. If you guys wants to believe no single stadia is ready, a warm-up pool is something huge to be built, it's up to you guys.

Report only one of the story is bad journalism. First day of class of "Theory of Journalism".

And to make a complete coverage of the Rio PREPARATIONS, you must cover what is being prepared and what is not being prepared.

I don't think British people is hoping the games to be held in London again too, but some journalists in British press are selling this story. I was very clear saying this.

To back up Ofan97's claim - http://www.insidethegames.biz/sports/summer/golf/1019976-doubts-still-loom-over-golf-test-event-a-year-our-from-rio-2016-despite-significantly-increased-development - Source: Inside the Games. No denying it now.

I'll speak for myself.

"Excitement" is neither here nor there. Test events are needed, but that wasn't my main point either.

I was focusing on the organization of the Games -- something that is much more than merely building venues. There are huge numbers of people who need to be trained and organized in operations, marketing, IT, media, anti-doping, hospitality, relations with the various NOC's, etc.

It's not as though you can simply build a venue, throw open the doors and expect everything to go smoothly. It takes a well-rehearsed cast of thousands.

Based on reports, those well-organized human resources do not currently exist in Rio.

I'll speak for myself.

"Excitement" is neither here nor there. Test events are needed, but that wasn't my main point either.

I was focusing on the organization of the Games -- something that is much more than merely building venues. There are huge numbers of people who need to be trained and organized in operations, marketing, IT, media, anti-doping, hospitality, relations with the various NOC's, etc.

It's not as though you can simply build a venue, throw open the doors and expect everything to go smoothly. It takes a well-rehearsed cast of thousands.

Based on reports, those well-organized human resources do not currently exist in Rio.

Sorry...