Rio 2016 Preparations - Venue & Infrastructure Developments

Exclusive: Rio 2016 Test Event will be "Difficult" due to polluted Waters, admits International Sailing Federation Official. Full story here - http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2016/1019632-exclusive-rio-2016-test-event-will-be-difficult-due-to-polluted-waters-admits-isaf-official - Source: Inside the Games.

Guanabara Bay will not be ready for the games. The truth is that there is not enough time to clean it for the Games . In fact, there was alerady no time in 2009, even if all projects of remediation were obeying their deadlines . Some experts claim that the water of the bay would take 10-15 years to reach acceptable levels of pollution, after implementing all the needed remediation actions.The various municipalities around the bay - not only the city of Rio de Janeiro - should implement their own projects of sewage treatment .This is not happening, at least in the desired and necessary speed for the Games. The treatment of the water that is dumped into the bay would not be good enough by itself. It would be necessary to give Nature the time she needs to do her part . This is a long process which respects the very reaction of Nature . It is also unpredictable, because there are various kinds of waste contamination and the natural renewal of the bay´s water , besides the fact that the constant use of the bay for ships - mainly oil tankers - could put at risk the work already done in the event of an accident , as happened in the past with a Petrobras ship . The issue is much more complicated than one might think . What is currently said is that they will hire boats to do the gathering of the floating solid waste . Although much has been done and is going to be done by the municipal government , the city of Rio de Janeiro is not the solely responsible for the environmental problem of the bay . It is beyond the municipality of Rio de Janeiro´s legal capacity of action and depends upon a resolute will of the State of Rio de Janeiro to coordinate the efforts of the municipalities involved, as well as financial support from the Federal Government . Some Improvements can be obtained until 2016, but they will not manageto put the bay in an appropriate level.

• Like 2

^^

And this said I will get some break from GB again...

As I told I'm not in my best mood and people here is ruining what government already ruined in part: my excitement for the world cup...

See ya in some weeks

Yes, the boxing building was completed 35 years ago. So when the boxing federation is attacking Rio two years before the games, I roll my eyes a bit.

As for the "Millions of Members of the Public and Media Workers".... uh, I think you might be exaggerating just a bit.

Well, if anything, I'm under exaggerating, considering how many Olympic lovers there are like ourselves and how much Worldwide Media.

Athehsfan,

I really did not understand your reaction to what I posted . I only tried to show Guanabara Bay´s a real situation . I do not think it is correct people do not have access to the reality of the problem . There is a lot of propaganda , both by those who extol Rio as by those who only see demerits . There are exaggerations on both sides. Guanabara Bay has received heavy investment since the late 80s, when people began to concern about its degradation and plan its remediation . But then, as always , corruption and bureaucracy became serious obstacles for the development of the projects . There was another question: since the democratization of the country in the mid- 80s , until the beginning of the last decade , the rulers of the City and of the State of Rio were opposed to the Federal Government , what prevented the partnership among the three levels of government and, consequently, the implementation of projects like the remediation of Guanabara Bay . With the election of rulers of the same brunch of political ideologies, the Municipality of Rio de Janeiro, the State of Rio de Janeiro and the Federal Government became allies and Rio started receiving financial support again . At the same time, Rio de Janeiro ever increasing rates of oil production gave it more financial autonomy, since the State and the City of Rio receive royalties from Petrobras for the extraction of oil and gas of Campos dos Goytacazes oil basin. However , the environmental issue of the bay was always placed on the back burner, given the fact that there were more urgent and priority issues , such as health , housing, transportation , education and security . Indeed , the great legacy the Games will leave for the city of Rio, for the State of Rio and for the Country is the conviction that with political will , things can be better and that we should improve things not because we are to host international mega events, but for us ourselves. I was honest in my post as I am now. Please, forgive my poor English.

Athehsfan,

I really did not understand your reaction to what I posted . I only tried to show Guanabara Bay´s a real situation . I do not think it is correct people do not have access to the reality of the problem . There is a lot of propaganda , both by those who extol Rio as by those who only see demerits . There are exaggerations on both sides. Guanabara Bay has received heavy investment since the late 80s, when people began to concern about its degradation and plan its remediation . But then, as always , corruption and bureaucracy became serious obstacles for the development of the projects . There was another question: since the democratization of the country in the mid- 80s , until the beginning of the last decade , the rulers of the City and of the State of Rio were opposed to the Federal Government , what prevented the partnership among the three levels of government and, consequently, the implementation of projects like the remediation of Guanabara Bay . With the election of rulers of the same brunch of political ideologies, the Municipality of Rio de Janeiro, the State of Rio de Janeiro and the Federal Government became allies and Rio started receiving financial support again . At the same time, Rio de Janeiro ever increasing rates of oil production gave it more financial autonomy, since the State and the City of Rio receive royalties from Petrobras for the extraction of oil and gas of Campos dos Goytacazes oil basin. However , the environmental issue of the bay was always placed on the back burner, given the fact that there were more urgent and priority issues , such as health , housing, transportation , education and security . Indeed , the great legacy the Games will leave for the city of Rio, for the State of Rio and for the Country is the conviction that with political will , things can be better and that we should improve things not because we are to host international mega events, but for us ourselves. I was honest in my post as I am now. Please, forgive my poor English.

We realize the bay is in really bad shape.

Athehsfan,

I'm not sure what you're referring to. I liked your post.

It was informative and specific. No justification is needed.

• Like 2

We realize the bay is in really bad shape.

Yes, it is.

At no moment, none of us said otherwise. (I dare you to quote any Brazilian here saying Guanabara Bay is in good shape).

Monteverde (a nice Brazilian poster finally here) was direct and got it to the right point.

That's the problem, that's the reason the results are far from desired, that's also what I always say: things are not simple as it seems and the problem is not because Brazilians are lazy-inefficient latinos/third-worldish as some news (and posters) tend to focus...

• Like 1

Yes, it is.

At no moment, none of us said otherwise. (I dare you to quote any Brazilian here saying Guanabara Bay is in good shape).

Monteverde (a nice Brazilian poster finally here) was direct and got it to the right point.

That's the problem, that's the reason the results are far from desired, that's also what I always say: things are not simple as it seems and the problem is not because Brazilians are lazy-inefficient latinos/third-worldish as some news (and posters) tend to focus...

Well we know that, I mean your a developing country there's bound to be ups and downs, just not this many after seven years to prepare.

Well we know that, I mean your a developing country there's bound to be ups and downs, just not this many after seven years to prepare.

"Developing country" is not a excuse.

China is a developing country and they can build a huge building in months, probably faster than any "developed country".

That's the generalism I'm talking about.

You guys only see the stereotype of other countries. Monteverde explained what is happening with details. I made a post explaining the fact there is one part of the bay that probably have no hope and the entrance of the bay (where sailing is expected to be held) where the situation is not good, but far better than the pictures International press is publishing.

And all we got after showing facts, pictures and our POV is bad will, sarcasm, personal offenses or at least "you guys had seven (actually five) years already to solve it and you didn't".

For you guys, it doesn't matter also how much the bay was already depolluted (still far from being reasonable, but trust us, it was even worse).

For example, the smell near the International Airport was disgusting and it was a shame for us cariocas. There is NO bad smell anymore.

Tired of bad will and generalisms, Mr. Bernham.

We are trying to show you the local POV, with more details, with accurate information, a different POV from the media (who tends to be sensationalistic).

But it seems deep argumentative talking is not appreciated here. Sadly.

South part of Guanabara Bay (where sailing is expected to be held)

baia-de-guanabara-ecf041.jpg

This water is polluted but not as much as the North part of the bay

North part of Guanabara Bay (40 km far from the Olympic Events)

lixo-baia-guanabara.jpg

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1

The fact remains that this is the Olympic Games -- the pinnacle of world sport. The sailing athletes deserve a venue of top quality and they're not going to get it.

I honestly believe that sailing will be one of the jewel events at Rio. Smack dab in the host city instead of shunted off to nowhereville.

I honestly believe that sailing will be one of the jewel events at Rio. Smack dab in the host city instead of shunted off to nowhereville.

I agree completely, until we start hearing about sailors who refuse to compete there or who get sick after competing.

It is a gorgeous setting, but it's been badly abused.

• Like 1

The fact remains that this is the Olympic Games -- the pinnacle of world sport. The sailing athletes deserve a venue of top quality and they're not going to get it.

Yes, this is a fact nobody here is arguing against, Athensfan.

I agree completely, until we start hearing about sailors who refuse to compete there or who get sick after competing.

It is a gorgeous setting, but it's been badly abused.

Again, just me, but I suspect there will be stories before the games... sailors will complain, etc. Then exactly none of them will refuse to compete, the races will look georgious on TV, and everyone will forget about the problems.

Danney you can not compare China and Brazil. Brazil is developing, China developed and is now a major economic power in the world not to mention a population of 1 billion and cheap labor.

No, China is not a developed country. The HDI of Brazil is far better, not to mention our GDP per capita is still twice bigger than them, for example.

All the media don't call China part of BRICS (the acronym for the biggest emerging developing countries - Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) for no reason.

And the rest, yes, that's what make China a different country, even being inside the group of "developing/emerging" countries.

We are truly different countries. Russia also can build things in a speed faster than Brazil, because the government can do whatever they want.

And that's my point: don't generalise.

Again, just me, but I suspect there will be stories before the games... sailors will complain, etc. Then exactly none of them will refuse to compete, the races will look georgious on TV, and everyone will forget about the problems.

At the point the bay is right now, and with all the bad media over it, the sailing event is under trouble.

No, China is not a developed country. The HDI of Brazil is far better, not to mention our GDP per capita is still twice bigger than them, for example.

All the media don't call China part of BRICS (the acronym for the biggest emerging developing countries - Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) for no reason.

And the rest, yes, that's what make China a different country, even being inside the group of "developing/emerging" countries.

We are truly different countries. Russia also can build things in a speed faster than Brazil, because the government can do whatever they want.

And that's my point: don't generalise.

At the point the bay is right now, and with all the bad media over it, the sailing event is under trouble.

China's GDP is around 8 trillion, Brazil's is 2 trillion. China also holds multiple high positions in international organizations and has the worlds second or thrid largest military, the country is also connected by high-speed rail and her major cities are far more developed than anything Brazil has. As a final note China hosted one of the largest Olympics ever without a hitch, not sure Brazil can say that.

I have given you the facts that prove and show China is far more developed and Internationally important than Brazil.

Still, they are not a developed country.

First, it's 2 trillion produced by only 200 million Brazilians against 8 trillion made by 1.3 billion people.

Most of their cities (not talking about their "world cities") are far worse than Brazilian ones (HDI shows it).

And the percentage of Chinese living in misery makes Brazil look a Scadinavian nation.

USA does not have a nationwide high speed rail and I do think USA is far more developed than China.

Still, useless comparision.

And I'd rather all freedom I have and some troubles to solve than to be a Chinese living in a military/ international organizations power but with all restrictions Chinese have.

They are 1.3 billion and how many Chineses people are here in GB?

Maybe GB is blocked there....

About relevance, nothing to discuss. With 1.3 billion people, being commies with nukes, and being the biggest creditor of USA, yes they are the 2nd most relevant country to the world by no doubts.

I'd rather soccer and beer in a sunny sunday than be proud about nukes, really. (Just as a fact, Brazil is the 3rd biggest creditor nation to USA)

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1

Still, they are not a developed country.

First, it's 2 trillion produced by only 200 million Brazilians against 8 trillion made by 1.3 billion people.

Most of their cities (not talking about their "world cities") are far worse than Brazilian ones (HDI shows it).

And the percentage of Chinese living in misery makes Brazil look a Scadinavian nation.

USA does not have a nationwide high speed rail and I do think USA is far more developed than China.

Still, useless comparision.

And I'd rather all freedom I have and some troubles to solve than to be a Chinese living in a military/ international organizations power but with all restrictions Chinese have.

They are 1.3 billion and how many Chineses people are here in GB?

Maybe GB is blocked there....

About relevance, nothing to discuss. With 1.3 billion people, being commies with nukes, and being the biggest creditor of USA, yes they are the 2nd most relevant country to the world by no doubts.

I'd rather soccer and beer in a sunny sunday than be proud about nukes, really. (Just as a fact, Brazil is the 3rd biggest creditor nation to USA)

I'm not saying China is amazing only that it is more developed than Brazil.