Rio 2016 Preparations - Venue & Infrastructure Developments

Well, for one all the federations except one weren't voicing their anxieties to the IOC in Sochi. They are in Rio.

The IOC wasn't saying it was the worst crisis they'd seen in 20 years and they didn't see a need to institute a nearly perpetual onsite presence.

You and I have no way to judge whether the IOC/Federations see actual differences, or are just treating things differently. Out of fear of offending Putin? Possibly out of distrust of the Brazilians? As Danny showed us, it seems awful strange that some of the federation are kvetching when their venues are done. What's up with that????

So I was wrong about Danny being naive. So, I've made up a 'Naive People List' in my head, and Zeke, you are that list. Just don't be naive please.

So I was wrong about Danny being naive. So, I've made up a 'Naive People List' in my head, and Zeke, you are that list. Just don't be naive please.

That's Pot and Kettle

If anything, Beijing is the most prepared.

I agree, but would the IOc be down with three consecutive Asian games?

Barra ought to be fine; comparing it to pictures of London at the same stage it doesn't look far off. Deodeoro looks more worrying and as I understand it there's no start date yet because some of the venues haven't even had the tenders for constrcution finalised yet. That's quite worrying.

Tell us! Yeah, and who's paying for that exactly?!

Mr Bernham, I'd suggest you do a bit of research re: London. There's no way we could host 2016. The Park has been completely reconfigured, temporary venues removed, wide councourses turned into parkland. The stadium will only just be reconfigured by Summer 2016 anyway, so you'd be going from one host where construction is being cut fine to another!

Rio deserves more respect than that. They're cutting it finer than they should, but they've invested huge amounts of time and money into this project. They need to be heavily leaned on, sure, but they don't need to be humiliated.

Rio does deserve respect, but it's their fault they bit off more then they can chew. Now someone who has recently hosted the games needs to pick up their slack. London is in the best shape to do so, next of course to Beijing. The only other city I can think of is Sydney...

I would say here in London would be the ideal replacement, as we were the most recent Hosts, so have the up to date Venues and infrastructure in place. Plus, would the IOC want to go back to China?

2016 will be held in Rio. Full stop.

The IOC and Brazil will not risk to lose their faces, no matter what.

All these talks about London or Beijing or whoever (hello, Athens has venues that really need a justification for existence!) are rubbish.

There are undoubtedly problems in Rio, worrying ones, but eventually they will pull it off.

• Like 3

Chill out people...my guess is once the Brazilian elections are over, some serious business is going to happen. At least I hope so for the sake of city & country.

True enough, the elections are for President and Governor of state.

And this have much to do with the delays. As we can see that all Rio city works have been done at full steam, as I showed tons of pictures here and nobody cared about.

Federal Govt. is messing up, specially because it was up to Federal Govt. to start the work in Deodoro.

Now, it's Rio city responsability, so now Deodoro does have a date to have works started: late September 2014.

Deodoro need about 1 year to be ready. If nothing wrong happens, there is still plenty time to complete the works, as pointed in SSC threads.

Rio 2016 Olympic Park is not on strike for 2 weeks already, the works have been at full steam too, and yes, there are works to look at, still, initial ones. (I posted dozens of pictures here prooving my point)

Also as I posted here, there are a least a dozen of venues ready for the Olympic Games, only waiting the athletes and crowds (indeed, the biggest ones are already DONE).

Tony, stop this thing about changing the Olympic Host, London had its turn, now it's time to move on. That's the Olympic Spirit.

IOC is right on bringing people to check the pace of works from local, and pressure - specially - the Federal Government (the one responsible for Deodoro Area - since it is a Military place).

Actually, IOC could have done this before.

All this bickering from them is just wasting time, I won't be surprised if come July 22nd they still have not started work on Deodoro and Barra looks the same as it did in January.

Olympic Park is truly already very different from January and Deodoro will get works started in September.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Olympic Park is truly already very different from January and Deodoro will get works started in September.

Deodoro starting work in September is even worse, if Barra is experiencing strikes I'm expecting them to continue in Deodoro. If that's the case the construction could be set back even further. Rio should be a 24/7 construction site, non-stop building at this point. At least we know when construction will start up again.

Deodoro starting work in September is even worse, if Barra is experiencing strikes I'm expecting them to continue in Deodoro. If that's the case the construction could be set back even further. Rio should be a 24/7 construction site, non-stop building at this point. At least we know when construction will start up again.

Mr. Bernham, due Brazilian law, the tender will take some weeks and even if we wanted, the works can not start right now. Don't forget, now Rio city is responsible for the works, so the process startef again.

About "strikes", it's a right under the Brazilian constitution. We are not China or USA were the rights for workers are really few or none.

Brazilian workers have a lot of rights and if justice agrees with the terms of the works, they can start strikes.

It's very unlikely to have a new strike soon, since the agreement are usually for one year long term.

All of these are not excuses for delays,

I'm just telling what is happening with details you guys don't know about Brazil.

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 2

Mr. Bernham, due Brazilian law, the tender will take some weeks and even if we wanted, the works can not start right now. Don't forget, now Rio city is responsible for the works, so the process startef again.

About "strikes", it's a right under the Brazilian constitution. We are not China or USA were the rights for workers are really few or none.

Brazilian workers have a lot of rights and if justice agrees with the terms of the works, they can start strikes.

It's very unlikely to have a new strike soon, since the agreement are usually for one year long term.

All of these are not excuses for delays,

I'm just telling what is happening with details you guys don't know about Brazil.

Danny I'm with Athens on this one, very laughable.

You can't compare China and the US. The US has organized labor, we have unions, hell the makers of twinkes had to shutter because the workers rights were too much to afford. Not to mention Social Security, and other national programs that at least promised to provide a healthy retirement. Does Brazil have those? I think not, your work forces are striking.

I know Brazil is developing, but you can't compare three countries that are on completely different levels of development.

Exclusive: Rio 2016 Test Event will be "Difficult" due to polluted Waters, admits International Sailing Federation Official. Full story here - http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2016/1019632-exclusive-rio-2016-test-event-will-be-difficult-due-to-polluted-waters-admits-isaf-official - Source: Inside the Games.

Boxing Chief talks about Rio concerns. Full story here - http://www.aroundtherings.com/site/A__46799/Title__Boxing-Chief-Talks-Rio-Concerns-Nanjing-YOG/292/Articles - Source: Around the Rings.

Last November, it was revealed Guanabara Bay has 78-times Brazil's legally allowed limit of fecal pollution, and 195-times the US limit, and this has led to numerous figures from the sailing world claiming the venue is simply unfit for top-level competition.

The above quote is taken from the link Tony posted.

UTTERLY DISGUSTING.

The above quote is taken from the link Tony posted.

UTTERLY DISGUSTING.

The information is disgusting or I am for posting it? I didn't understand what you meant. If it's to me, then I'm only posting news.

Tony - I can't read the article... but I'm curious. After reading the article, are *you* worried that the boxing venue won't be built in time?

Good question. You see, when I post these articles, I try to be a down the middle source and hide my opinions when I post these articles, hence why I only posted the Headline, the link and the source and not my opinion afterwards. Since you asked however, I will give my opinion.

The Riocentro, where the Boxing will be held at Rio 2016, is an Existing Venue, with works required. I believe that particular Venue will most probably be Completed in time. The same goes for the Maracana Stadium, HSBC Arena and the Maria Lenk Aquatics Centre. Overall, most of us, including myself, are concerned with Rio's preparations. Of course, I want Rio to be ready in time, but it's worrying times at the moment I'm afraid, as many of us have stated and how the Worldwide Media have stated. Millions of Members of the Public and Media Workers can't be wrong. So yes, on this particular Venue, I'm not too concerned, the same goes for the Maracana Stadium, HSBC Arena and the Maria Lenk Aquatics Centre. The Athletes Village looks like it will also be Completed in time, but for Venues like the other Aquatics Centre, Velodrome, the other Indoor Halls and the Golf Course, preparations look worrying. I hope that answered your question?

Seriously, Tony?

195 times the US standard for fecal pollution is disgusting.

Oh right. I agree. Like come on, the preparations is one thing, but when it's below Health and Safety standards, that's just a whole other level.

What Tony posted. I'm disgusted, just disgusted. I wish "Rio City" luck in cleaning that up, I guess it's just the World Media and FIFA's fault it's still that way. It has nothing to do with the fact that Rio is light-years behind any suitable Olympic Host City.

Your disgusted with the polluted Waters?

You are equating workers' rights in China to those in the USA? Haven't you heard of organized labor?

Truly laughable, Danny.

I was intended to exactly show the opposites USA have organized labor but there is not "protection laws" for workers and China have almost no rights. My point is: Brazil can't be compared to any of both opposites.

But I admit my post was very messy.

What Tony posted. I'm disgusted, just disgusted. I wish "Rio City" luck in cleaning that up, I guess it's just the World Media and FIFA's fault it's still that way. It has nothing to do with the fact that Rio is light-years behind any suitable Olympic Host City.

That's up for Rio state Govt. Not Rio city hall.

And Mr. Bernham, who is talking about or bring the media to this talking now?

Don't take this conversation to personal stuff. Can't you stick to arguments?

I never argued a line saying Guanabara is clean or this is something media created, because it is not.

Still, the entrance of the bay is in much better shape than the north part of bay.

I already said: both parts of thr bay are not clean and are not suitable for any Olympic competitions and despite some works done, the result of those are far from acceptable.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

The Riocentro, where the Boxing will be held at Rio 2016, is an Existing Venue, with works required. I believe that particular Venue will most probably be Completed in time. The same goes for the Maracana Stadium, HSBC Arena and the Maria Lenk Aquatics Centre. Overall, most of us, including myself, are concerned with Rio's preparations. Of course, I want Rio to be ready in time, but it's worrying times at the moment I'm afraid, as many of us have stated and how the Worldwide Media have stated. Millions of Members of the Public and Media Workers can't be wrong.

Yes, the boxing building was completed 35 years ago. So when the boxing federation is attacking Rio two years before the games, I roll my eyes a bit.

As for the "Millions of Members of the Public and Media Workers".... uh, I think you might be exaggerating just a bit.

PS: When I say Rio city is to get a difference of levels of government.

- Rio de Janeiro City Hall (Municipality)

- Rio de Janeiro State Government

- Federal Government

In the USA, you guys have - most of the country - 4 levels: city/town/village, county, state and federal.

When I say Rio city I'm talking about mayor's responsability.

Yes, the boxing building was completed 35 years ago. So when the boxing federation is attacking Rio two years before the games, I roll my eyes a bit.

As for the "Millions of Members of the Public and Media Workers".... uh, I think you might be exaggerating just a bit.

The Gymnastics Arena is ready and it is a really nice venue and was used successfully during PanAms and indeed had hosted NBA exhibition matches last year.

It's hard to find something to complain about HSBC Arena...