Rio 2016 Preparations - Venue & Infrastructure Developments

Bach promises action on delays threatening Rio

By STEPHEN WILSON (AP Sports Writer) 1 hour ago AP - Sports

BELEK, Turkey (AP) -- With sports federations demanding a ''Plan B'' because of the chronic delays in Rio de Janeiro, IOC President Thomas Bach promised Wednesday to take action to ease the crisis threatening the 2016 Olympics.

Bach and other Olympic officials said the construction holdups and political paralysis have reached a critical point, requiring the IOC to take special measures to save the games.

''It is about time for action,'' Bach said following an unprecedented venting of criticism and complaints from international sports leaders about the lack of progress in Rio.

''We share their concerns,'' he added. ''We will address them. We will do everything we can do make these games a success.''

Bach said the International Olympic Committee executive board would meet later Wednesday to discuss the Rio situation and decide on what action to take. He did not say what steps might be implemented.

Several sports federations asked about ''Plan B'' contingencies for their venues and one - handball - asked if there was a backup for the games themselves if Rio won't be ready on time.

Without completely ruling out moving the games out of Brazil, the IOC and other Olympic officials made clear they expect the games to take place in Rio but the timelines are extremely tight.

''If action is taken now, then we can deliver and Rio can deliver,'' said Gilbert Felli, the IOC's executive director of the Olympic Games.

Leaders of 18 different federations spoke out about Rio's troubled preparations in a meeting with Bach and the IOC board. All but one - volleyball - raised serious concerns.

''The general feeling is that we are in the most critical situation in the preparation for the games that has happened in the last 20 years at least,'' said Francesco Ricci Bitti, head of the Association of

Summer Olympic International Federations.

Ricci Bitti said the sports raising the issue of a ''Plan B'' were referring to venue plans, not moving the games.

''We are not at this stage,'' he said, adding that basketball, for example, could consider playing some games in Sao Paolo if the Deodoro venue won't be ready.

The Italian urged Bach to make another trip to Brazil soon to meet with government leaders and organizers. Bach traveled to Brazil in January for talks with President Dilma Rousseff.

Bach told the delegates Wednesday that he had told Rousseff there was ''not a single day to lose,'' and that the IOC's coordination commission for Rio warned organizers last month there was ''not a single hour to lose.''

Bach said he was waiting for more details of Tuesday's meeting in Brasilia between Rio organizers and Rousseff's chief of staff. Brazil's sports ministry said the deadlines would be met ''and the games themselves would take place without disorder.''

Bach noted that the IOC will be sending several task forces - made up of groups of experts in various fields - to Rio to monitor the situation. Felli will be assigned to work with Rio when he steps down from his IOC position later this year.

Ricci Bitti said the Olympic project is in danger of falling further behind because of the upcoming World Cup in Brazil and presidential election in October.

''We require you to take action immediately,'' the Italian told Bach. '' We cannot waste these next six months.''

The greatest concerns center on the Deodoro complex, an area that is to host venues for eight sports - shooting, equestrian, modern pentathlon, canoe-slalom, rugby, basketball, cycling and field hockey. Work has yet to begin on the site.

''We believe it might be prudent to consider contingency plans if things do not progress,'' hockey federation director general Kelly Fairweather said.

The eight sports with planned events in Deodoro met later Wednesday with Rio organizers, and the Brazilians reported ''constructive dialogue on venue timelines.'' Rio confirmed the tender for Deodoro would be released this month.

Federations expressed worries not only about construction delays, but also over accommodations, transportation and water pollution.

Speaking out were leaders of equestrian, field hockey, badminton, rugby, tennis, sailing, triathlon, basketball, athletics, cycling, rowing, modern pentathlon, gymnastics, archery, golf and handball. Volleyball, which has an existing indoor venue and will use the Copacabana for beach volleyball, was the only one that said it was satisfied.

Jose Perurena, head of the international canoe federation, said he would give Rio a ''red card.''

Basketball asked about moving some games to other Brazilian cities; rowing noted that some fish are dying from lack of oxygen at its polluted venue; sailing asked for medical experts to study the pollution in Guanabara Bay; and golf said it would have to look at ''Plan B'' if the new course remains way behind schedule.

AP

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sports-bodies-complain-ioc-over-082153208--oly.html

Eighteen Sports complain about Rio 2016 Progress as "Fundamentally important" meeting is held. Full story here - http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2016/1019358-eighteen-sports-complain-about-rio-2016-progress-as-fundamentally-important-meeting-held - Source: Inside the Games.

Government, Rio 2016 officials offer assurances

BRASILIA, Brazil (AP) Top officials of the 2016 Rio Olympics and the chief of staff for Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff met for two hours Tuesday and repeated assurances that, despite well-publicized delays, test events and the games themselves will meet proposed deadlines.

The meeting, which was described as "crucial" three weeks ago by inspectors from the International Olympic Committee, was postponed several times. IOC officials said it focused on funding and venue planning.

Officials at the meeting, including Sports Minister Aldo Rebelo, Rousseff's chief of ctaff Aloizio Mercadante and Carlos Nuzman, president of the organizing committee, left without speaking to reporters and gave no details about budgets or planning.

"The Brazilian government reiterates that deadlines will be met," the sports ministry said in a brief statement. "All the guarantees exist for works to be handed over in time for test events, and the games themselves will take place without disorder."

AP

http://wintergames.ap.org/article/government-rio-2016-officials-offer-assurances

I don't think the IOC expected another Athens.

This level of delay is actually shocking. To me at least. With all the other progress and development in Brazil, you would have thought that Brazil would be able to deliver a reasonably competent Games. I am sure that come the summer of 2016, everything will be ready.

I don't think the IOC expected another Athens.

This level of delay is actually shocking. To me at least. With all the other progress and development in Brazil, you would have thought that Brazil would be able to deliver a reasonably competent Games. I am sure that come the summer of 2016, everything will be ready.

They knew they were choosing an untested host who was going to be focused on World Cup preparations. They knew they were choosing a developing country whose government is still learning how to handle its growing economy. They knew they were voting for the most expensive bid on the table and the one that would need the most new construction (including venues and infrastructure).

They knew that something along the lines of Athens or worse was a possibility, as did many posters upon these boards. Of course all of us hoped for better, but there was always a good chance things would turn out this way.

With every IF complaining (except for volleyball) and comments about this being the worst crisis the IOC has faced in at least 20 years, that would suggest that Rio is in worse shape than Athens.

I really hope they can pull it off. I do worry about what safety issues may arise as they cut corners. We've already seen what can tragically result.

They knew they were choosing an untested host who was going to be focused on World Cup preparations. They knew they were choosing a developing country whose government is still learning how to handle its growing economy. They knew they were voting for the most expensive bid on the table and the one that would need the most new construction (including venues and infrastructure).

They knew that something along the lines of Athens or worse was a possibility, as did many posters upon these boards. Of course all of us hoped for better, but there was always a good chance things would turn out this way.

With every IF complaining (except for volleyball) and comments about this being the worst crisis the IOC has faced in at least 20 years, that would suggest that Rio is in worse shape than Athens.

I really hope they can pull it off. I do worry about what safety issues may arise as they cut corners. We've already seen what can tragically result.

Rio hosted the largest (in scope and scale) Pan Ams in history in 2007 and the IOC just came off of a developing country hosting a technically fantastic Games in 2008. London was safely hosting 2012. Can you really blame the IOC for wanting to take another step towards universality?

The Brazilians in the ssc thread are adamant these concerns are racism against Brazil by the European heads of IFs and everything is 100 percent fine.

I saw that too. It's not racism, it's facts. The facts would of been pointed out for any Host, not just Brazil. I'm sure if Tokyo 2020 is delayed, we will all discuss the issues and provide the facts. The Venues have to be ready by mid 2015, for the test events. The brand new Aquatics Centre, Velodrome and Halls don't seem likely to be ready by mid 2015. Like I've stated many many times, I believe Rio was only chosen because the IOC wanted to go to a new Continent. I'm confident that the Athletes Villages will be ready, they have risen up and of course can be completed early 2016, as no test events are needed for the Athletes Village. Brazil was only chosen for the 2014 Fifa World Cup because they were the sole Bidder. Colombia withdrew. Those on SSC, are just being naive. I haven't commented on their claims, but I say it here, they are being naive. The Athletics Stadium is having protest issues from the workers aswell for Rio 2016 - http://stadiumdb.com/news/2014/04/rio_de_janeiro_clashes_outside_engenhao_as_workers_strike - I'm looking forward to what Danny has to say, to see if he is in the naive group of people. Hopefully, PyeongChang and Tokyo's preparations are faster. I have no clue how Brazil can be so delayed with the 2014 Fifa World Cup and 2016 Summer Olympics and Paralympics. 7 Years is ample time. 2007, Brazil was chosen to Host the 2014 Fifa World Cup. 2009, Rio was chosen to Host the 2016 Summer Olympics and Paralympics, come on, that is enough time.

They are not being "naive"; they know exactly what the score is Tony. They just can't countenance any criticism of Rio's preparations so they claim it's down to the Europeans' attitude towards Brazilians. It's complete BS, and I really hope it's not a widesrpead view in Brazil because if it is these Games are in real trouble.

• Like 2

Rio hosted the largest (in scope and scale) Pan Ams in history in 2007 and the IOC just came off of a developing country hosting a technically fantastic Games in 2008. London was safely hosting 2012. Can you really blame the IOC for wanting to take another step towards universality?

I am not talking about "blame." Ensuring that the Olympics are a truly global event is a laudable priority, but it has to be done with eyes wide open and a commitment to finding workable solutions. I hope the IOC can help the Brazilians pull this off, but there's not a lot of time left.

The IOC knew the risks involved with Rio and they voted for them anyway. I think that's a pretty unassailable statement. The current state of affairs should not come as a complete surprise because there was evidence early on that this could happen. Rio wasn't even shortlisted for 2012. They barely squeaked on to the shortlist for 2016 despite being ranked below Doha. The IOC knew the risks and they overlooked them and hoped for the best. The 2016 evaluation report was undeniably rosy where Rio was concerned. They rocketed from last place to first. It was obvious that the IOC really didn't want to take stock of the possible practical ramifications of sending the Games to South America for the first time. They fell in love with the story and voted accordingly.

Also, you really cannot group Brazil and China in the same category. Yes, I'm aware of the BRICs, but Brazil and China are two radically different economies and two radically different cultures with radically different strengths and weaknesses. Just because Beijing was a success (in some ways), does not mean that Rio will be.

• Like 1

I wonder how this will affect the IOC's view of future bids from developing countries. I find it a bit sad because most developing countries (or even first world countries) aren't going to be crazy enough to try to host the Olympics and World Cup two years apart or plan on building so much from scratch.

I wonder how this will affect the IOC's view of future bids from developing countries. I find it a bit sad because most developing countries (or even first world countries) aren't going to be crazy enough to try to host the Olympics and World Cup two years apart or plan on building so much from scratch.

Cough Qatar. They have the 2022 Fifa World Cup and Bidded for the 2020 Summer Olympics and are going to Bid for 2024.

The IOC still has a bit of respect and dignity left and I advise them that if they want that kept, stay as far away as possible from corruption Qatar. I say still have a bit of respect and dignity, because of the issues surrounding Sochi 2014. It would be too obvious though if Doha got the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics, with Rome, Paris, Berlin and Durban all in the running. If Doha 'Defeats' them, then it's obviously dodgy.

I am not talking about "blame." Ensuring that the Olympics are a truly global event is a laudable priority, but it has to be done with eyes wide open and a commitment to finding workable solutions. I hope the IOC can help the Brazilians pull this off, but there's not a lot of time left.

The IOC knew the risks involved with Rio and they voted for them anyway. I think that's a pretty unassailable statement. The current state of affairs should not come as a complete surprise because there was evidence early on that this could happen. Rio wasn't even shortlisted for 2012. They barely squeaked on to the shortlist for 2016 despite being ranked below Doha. The IOC knew the risks and they overlooked them and hoped for the best. The 2016 evaluation report was undeniably rosy where Rio was concerned. They rocketed from last place to first. It was obvious that the IOC really didn't want to take stock of the possible practical ramifications of sending the Games to South America for the first time. They fell in love with the story and voted accordingly.

Also, you really cannot group Brazil and China in the same category. Yes, I'm aware of the BRICs, but Brazil and China are two radically different economies and two radically different cultures with radically different strengths and weaknesses. Just because Beijing was a success (in some ways), does not mean that Rio will be.

With the Pan Ams I can imagine that the IOC was reasonably confident Rio could handle this. If you were to place blame it is with the IOC post vote. Not for the vote itself. If things were as bad or concerning as they are being portrayed now, the IOC should have seen warning signs 2 to 3 years ago and been more forceful and guiding in their involvement with the preparations.

With the Pan Ams I can imagine that the IOC was reasonably confident Rio could handle this. If you were to place blame it is with the IOC post vote. Not for the vote itself. If things were as bad or concerning as they are being portrayed now, the IOC should have seen warning signs 2 to 3 years ago and been more forceful and guiding in their involvement with the preparations.

Let's be clear. You are the only person talking about "blame."

I'm talking about what the IOC could reasonably expect from Rio. You didn't address any of the facts I referenced, most importantly, the drastic shift between the pre-shortlist evaluation and the Evaluation Report of candidate cities.

Why are you so anxious to defend the IOC? Do you seriously believe there was no way to foresee these challenges?

I think Brazil would be fine if it was just the WC or just the Olympics they're planning for. It's not the 1970s anymore, both events are enormous & any country would struggle to do them both 2 years apart. In fact I'd say probably only the US, China, Russia, & possibly Japan could do it successfully, & even they would find it tough. To ask a developing country like Brazil to stage the top 2 events in the world in 2 years, I'm afraid they (Brazil) might've bitten off much more than they can chew :(

I think Brazil would be fine if it was just the WC or just the Olympics they're planning for. It's not the 1970s anymore, both events are enormous & any country would struggle to do them both 2 years apart. In fact I'd say probably only the US, China, Russia, & possibly Japan could do it successfully, & even they would find it tough. To ask a developing country like Brazil to stage the top 2 events in the world in 2 years, I'm afraid they (Brazil) might've bitten off much more than they can chew :(

Well, the US did it just fine in 1994 and 1996. Because of the number of viable stadia we have, the WC will never be much of a challenge.

I'm looking forward to what Danny has to say, to see if he is in the naive group of people. Hopefully, PyeongChang and Tokyo's preparations are faster. I have no clue how Brazil can be so delayed with the 2014 Fifa World Cup and 2016 Summer Olympics and Paralympics. 7 Years is ample time. 2007, Brazil was chosen to Host the 2014 Fifa World Cup. 2009, Rio was chosen to Host the 2016 Summer Olympics and Paralympics, come on, that is enough time.

First, I'm not the ambassador of Brazil for International Sports events.

Secondly, apart of Deodoro Cluster (which is really frightening me), all the works for the Olympic Games have started and (despite this week strike from workers) are under full steam.

Thirdly. About World Cup, FIFA DID POSTPONED FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS AND HALF the choosing of host cities, and FIFA knew that due Brazilian law, no stadium or other works could get financing without the confirmation of being a host city/assignment for it. Yes, FIFA should be blamed for that, because they reduced the time of works from 7 to 5 years (still enough time to complete all promised and from here, it starts the guilty of inefficient Brazilian bereaucracy and stupid justice system that stop works for any small reason or after accidents happens).

For the rest discussed here I have nothing to add, unless the fact, I do think Rio is in better situation now than Athens were 2 years before the games.

Based on what, Tony? Every IF except one complaining? And yes Deodoro has NOTHING going on and it's in the worst shape, but most of the rest of the venues have problems too. A dip in Guanabara Bay anyone?

The IOC has intentionally downplayed the severity of the situation partly because they realized how much their negative publicity hurt the Greeks, especially where ticket sales and attendance were concerned.

You should cite some concrete facts supporting your opinion that Rio is better prepared now than Athens was at the two year mark.

Apologies. Intended to address the above to Danny. Habit, I suppose.