London Unviels Olympic Institute

Michelle

Cue the discussion on whether this was in the bid book.

London unveils Olympic Institute  

An "Olympic Institute" nurturing talent from the playground to the podium would be one legacy of a successful London 2012 bid, it was announced on Monday.

Organisers unveiled plans to create a centre for sports medicine, science, research and various sporting bodies in the Olympic Park after the Games.

Bid leaders hope the innovative scheme will swing crucial votes London's way.

Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell said the plan showed the Games' power to "change lives on and off the sporting field".

London bid chairman Lord Coe hailed the institute as an "exciting, dynamic and innovative" facility.

And he added that it would be dedicated to advancing modern Olympics founder Pierre de Coubertin's vision of building a better world through sport, culture, education, health and environment initiatives.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_spor...012/4087614.stm

Cue the discussion on whether this was in the bid book.

London unveils Olympic Institute

Strictly speaking this is about plans for the Olympic Park after the Games, so there should be no discussion about whetehr it was in the bid book or not.

In any case after all the allowances they are giving to New York now, I don't think the IOC would dare make anymore moves to try and suffocate the other bids. Hopefully, Rogge has learned his lesson.

It's an interesting proposal, however I wonder if this may not undercut some of the work that the IOC parades as 'learned symposia' etc at the IOC Museum in Lausanne. I don't really expect it to have much of an impact either way, but an Olympic Institute in London could be viewed by the IOC as either a rival or an ancillary to its own operations, dependent on who and how it operates.

One point that could indicate a favourable effect...UAB in Barcelona operates an Olympic Studies unit here), as does UTS in Sydney (Australian Centre for Olympic Studies). So there is a precedent for host cities to present some kind of academic institute for Olympism. No sign of Paris, Madrid, NY or Moscow making similar plans?

This is a positive gesture by London's Olympic bid.  It can only improve our bid further.  Roll on July 6th.

I suppose... if you consider pointing out the current lack of an Olympic culture in the UK a selling point.

Sory Parisphoto, but I have to agree with the others here...

I suppose... if you consider pointing out the current lack of an Olympic culture in the UK a selling point.

There is NO LACK OF OLYMPIC CULTURE IN BRITAIN... If anything it is getting larger...   :grinning:

Archived