Pyeongchang Olympic Stadium

Hey nature, mike JUST DEBUNKED all your futile, pathetic attempts to put Korea down!! You and Tulsa should hold hands and take a one-way ride down Gwangeon Falls!! :lol:

I love olympics and I love sports.

But, the opposite to reckless challenge of Pyeongchang.

Climate? Natural story.

Winter Olympics without snow?

I remember, 2009 Biathlon world championships in Pyeongchang.

At that time the rain came.

Feb, 2018 Pyeongchang come rain? snow?

Nobody knows. B)

and, Mike confused about tradition play and sport. :P

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who says Pyeongchang lacks snow? ... I don't recall seeing any snow in Vancouver (or even Whistler on the ground) last year, and I was there during most of the Olympics. That didn't stop them from staging one of the best winter games ever. I'm pretty certain Pyeongchang will have more snow than Vancouver did last year.

Gangneung, proposed site of ice events

pb-110214-sk-snow-da.photoblog900.jpg

Gangneung

PA-101810441.jpg

Gangwon Province

sinheungsa-temple-mt-seoraksan-57224.jpg

Gangwon Province

Seoraksan%20National%20Park.jpg

Gangwon Province

seoraksan-national-park.jpg

Next.

Nobody here say Asia doesn't count but only Korea isn't the good choice to comeback in Asia, Japan or China have a better potential and snow condition...

Korea doesn't have winter tradition... And when you look there medal it's only with Shortrack and artistic recently... But in the fact, korea didn't know winter sport before 1990... And now except with skating korea don't like winter sport (Remember biathlon, Freestyle)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Korea_at_the_2011_Asian_Winter_Games

Here you go. Here are Korea's medals in alpine skiing, cross country skiing, ice hockey and ski jumping at the 2011 Asian Games, in addition to skating. I guess winter sports exists in Korea after all. Shock, huh? If you want to grow winter sports in Asia, you can start with Korea.

I also don't give a flying monkey's ass as to what you could say in reply. I don't care if Europeans have been skiing for a hundred years. Find something new to talk about. Korea and Asia is building its own winter tradition, and we don't need you to help. If Pyeongchang gets the 2018 Games, do us all a favour and stay at home.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Korea_at_the_2011_Asian_Winter_Games

Here you go. Here are Korea's medals in alpine skiing, cross country skiing, ice hockey and ski jumping at the 2011 Asian Games, in addition to skating. I guess winter sports exists in Korea after all. Shock, huh? If you want to grow winter sports in Asia, you can start with Korea.

I also don't give a flying monkey's ass as to what you could say in reply. I don't care if Europeans have been skiing for a hundred years. Find something new to talk about. Korea and Asia is building its own winter tradition, and we don't need you to help. If Pyeongchang gets the 2018 Games, do us all a favour and stay at home.

Asian games?

Korea, Japan, China, Kazakhstan Only 4 countries to fight.

Levels low.

Heavy snow caused by global warming.

and, The problem is not snow.

What do you think about abandoned ski jumping park?

and Dream program and Downhill venue?

Asian games?

Levels low.

Heavy snow caused by global warming.

and, The problem is not snow.

What do you think about abandoned ski jumping park?

and Dream program and Downhill venue?

2011 winter asian games,

Aipine Participating countries.

Korea, Kazakhstan, Iran, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Lebanon, India, Kuwait

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/....

Moreover, Japan and China boycott.

Korea is not interested in winter sports, Only convention.

1. Athlethes development and investment (Korean was never interested)

2. Sustainable stadium management

Who says Pyeongchang lacks snow? ... I don't recall seeing any snow in Vancouver (or even Whistler on the ground) last year, and I was there during most of the Olympics. That didn't stop them from staging one of the best winter games ever. I'm pretty certain Pyeongchang will have more snow than Vancouver did last year.

Gangneung, proposed site of ice events

pb-110214-sk-snow-da.photoblog900.jpg

Next.

It's exceptional for you, Korean have not seen it since one century... the reality it's 25 cm each year... Not enough

The reality is that :

84791387.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA54816BC398DAF9D7AC3251AF32F3C9A4FC7553BB14150057358E30A760B0D811297

die-pech-wm-von-pyeongchang-2009-elf-grad-plus-dauerregen-und-sturm-die-biathlon-wm-drohte-wegzuschwimmen-am-freitag-den-13-fielen-in-der-suedkoreanischen-provinz-zuerst-die-tv-kameras-und-werbebanden.jpg

Alpensia_Biathlon_Center_in_Pyeo-80441.largeslideshow.jpg

Korea can't organize WoG, I don't want that...

I prefer that

22201_t6.jpg

347488_ski_de_fond_la_clusaz.jpg

La_Clusaz.jpg

I Prefer Annecy The only bid whom guarantees the snow to 2018... One of the best snow in Europa !!!

This is 1997 winter universiade ski jumping park in Korea.

Since that day, an abandoned state. B)

img_3.jpg

1988 Seoul olympic main stadium is now in ruins.

10 million dollars deficit every year, does not used anybody.

This is a real olympic legacy.

20110304000055_0.jpg

20110304000069_0.jpg

20110304000064_0.jpg

20110304000070_0.jpg

BORING!! PATHETIC!! :rolleyes:

Escape from reality?

Why Pyeongchang? I still do not know.

I'm Korean. I wanted to talk about the reality of Korea,

of course through the poor english.

and, I've talked about a few.

The problem is not just a winter sports tradition.

Neglected stadium, practice environment, athletes development,

environment, finance, dream program. but nobody did not answer.

They committed many evils.

They're hurriedly making tradition and infrastructure in a day.

Alpensia resort was created in a day. Debt of 700 million dollar.

The excessive railway construction.

Downhill course it is under current law the development is not possible,

and Lee Kun-hee pardon. The spirit of law is ignored.

This bid only for politicians.

The worst of the olympic movement.

In terms of non-Koreans think that Munich is to win.

Of course, if Pyeongchang wins i'm going to enjoy the Olympics. :mellow:

Asian games?

Levels low.

So what? You're saying Korea isn't interested in winter sports. Well, they seem to be doing alright within Asia. No one's saying their skiers are the best in the world. We're saying there is SOME interest in Korea, and their performance in the Asian Games proves it.

So you show the worst of Korean snow conditions, and the best of European snow conditions. Here:

Swiss team having to practice in Canada due to lack of snow

No snow at the 2011 European X-Games in Tignes, France

Ask any attendee at the 2011 European X-Games to sum up the event in one word and, unfortunately, that word is likely to be ‘weather’. Because this event had it all. Sun, slush, sticky snow, grippy snow, powder-on-crust and the flattest light seen in Tignes all year: often in the same day.

It also played havoc with the schedule for the week, especially Thursday’s planned men’s slopestyle qualification. After an hour or two of practise that saw riders battle with some ridiculously variable conditions, a hastily organised riders’ meeting saw the decision taken to cancel the elimination round and send all 24 riders through to a two run final on the Friday.

No snow in northern French Alps - January 2011

Ski jumper in the Alps. The below photos were taken from this link: http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,455226,00.html

0,1020,761496,00.jpg

0,1020,752839,00.jpg

Bottom line. Unpredictable. Mother nature can give you no snow in Europe (Innsbruck Winter Olympics), in North America (Vancouver Olympics) or anywhere else in the world. Next.

So you show the worst of Korean snow conditions, and the best of European snow conditions. Here:

Swiss team having to practice in Canada due to lack of snow

No snow at the 2011 European X-Games in Tignes, France

No snow in northern French Alps - January 2011

Ski jumper in the Alps. The below photos were taken from this link: http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,455226,00.html

Bottom line. Unpredictable. Mother nature can give you no snow in Europe (Innsbruck Winter Olympics), in North America (Vancouver Olympics) or anywhere else in the world. Next.

Sorry for you but I was in Tignes To winter Xgames, there weren't problems with the lack of snow... But because there are to much snow and white day (I don't have the english word), there snowed lot of during the different sessions but every body was happy... There were lot of people, fan, supporter and lot of snow (The difference with Korea).. But if some journalists were unhappy because they hadn't sun.... It's the mountain and the weather is very changing.

Just for you, Tignes, it's one of the most famous Alps ski resort, you can ski even in July and August... There is snow during all the year... And I don't think Korea could organize something similar with Tignes European Xgames...

96253.jpg

96628.jpg

x-games-2011-tignes-2.jpg

Tignes March 2011

grandbo-biathlon.jpg

Le Grand Bornand European Biathlon cup - March 2011

dans-la-raquette-d-arrivee-la-foule-etait-impressionnante-le-dl-philippe-cortay.jpg

Chamonix Alpin ski world cup Kandhar 2011 - January 2011

offensif-maurice-manificat-(au-centre)-victime-d-une-hypoglycemie-sur-le-30-km-samedi-a-realise-u.jpg

La Clusaz Ski cross world cup 2011 - December (2010)

pas-besoin-de-monter-au-semnoz-pour-les-entrainements-de-ski-de-fond-en-centre-ville-ca-glisse-tou.jpg

sur-le-paquier-les-pietons-empruntent-les-sentiers-creuses-entre-les-plaques-de-neige-le-dl-greg.jpg

annecy15.jpg

Annecy in december 2010

When in French Alps, journalist or other people say there are a lack of snow,it isn't because there are no snow like in Korea but because there are less than a regular year... And moreover the French Alps are very expanded, and in the south you can have less snow than in the north, it depends the year... But each year we have lot of snow even a bad year... You can't compare snow in Korea and in Alps because, the difference is very important, you have nothing in Korea if you compare with Alps... In Annecy the good years you have snow in November until to May... A bad year December to Begin of April. I think in February except if it's the end of world we have always snow...

This year Germany had have some difficult because, German Alps are in the pre-Alps area, and German ski resort are very low Altitude compared with french ski resort... Moreover, Munich isn't in the Alps... Maybe it's a reason why this year there weren't lot of snow in Munich... :rolleyes:

Annecy guaranties snow for WOG, and popular fervor and spectators in the stadiums... We have everything to host the greatest WOG... PC can't guaranty this

http://www.universalsports.com/news/article/newsid=515797.html

Snowboardcross FIS worldcup Canceled in Korea... Imagine in 2018, Ski and Snowboardcross canceled because Korean don't know shape correctly a bordercross... :rolleyes:

PC 2018 it's only a political victory to some Korean politician but the sport will be the loser if PC win... I hope ICO member will be respectful with sport values and with the reality... :rolleyes:

TOO MUCH SNOW...not good for Olympics!

You then have to have clean-up crews!! :lol:

Annecy have used to clean after snowfall, each year we have lot of snowfall and isn't a problem because everybody is prepared to live with snow... We don't have need military to clean the city not like in Korea...

I think is a good thing to have lot of snow to host WoG or you prefer WoG where there aren't snow like in Korea? ;)

and, Baron, I live in Korea. so of course everything I know about Korea.

You know enough about Korea? I guess you don't know anything. B)

Only get information through some newspaper and pictures.

Why you support PC? Just because like korea? why? korean drama? movies? actor? B)

or for olympic movement? :blink:

Full of bravado.

Hi guys,

So... I'm getting a little fed up with the same arguments being presented by the pro-European group (there seem to be two of you).

Firstly, just to answer some of the questions directed at me, Mike, the Canadian. Yes, nature, I have lived in Korea and I lived mostly in Seoul but also in Pohang for a little while. As I said, I had enough experience in Korea in terms of skiing and did go skiing, mostly to Gangwon province, every winter I was in Korea. Furthermore, I have also lived in Tokyo and Osaka, Japan for a total of 6 years. So, I do have some credit when I speak about these Asian nations.

Some of you seem to have a weird 'M*A*S*H-type' image of Korea. There are no palm trees and it's not a tropical country. They have four distinct seasons and as I already said, they have bitterly cold winters.

Tulsa keeps saying that Korea has no capacity to organize the winter olympics, because they have no experience. The statement is flawed in so many different ways that I don't even know where to begin. Korea is more than capable of hosting major international events and conventions, being one of top 15 economies of the world and a major political, diplomatic and economical player on world stage. They have proven it over and over again with multiple number of international sports events, more notably the summer olympics and the world cup. I'm sorry, Tulsa, that the world cup 2002 was boring for you, probably since France got eliminated so early. Maybe the Europeans just are not very adaptable people to new environments and just could not cope. Korea is also one of the most educated countries in the world and a country that regularly scores highest in terms of IQ marks. They are also the most wired country in the world. It is entirely possible for them to learn the ropes of organizing the winter olympics, and they'd be pretty good at it.

I'm appalled by the prejudice. But it's not something I can influence. Some of you are born and raised that way. One day, you might have a better understanding of the world, and be less racist.

Also, some of you keep mentioning the snow conditions, etc. Snow is snow, and it forms exactly the same way whether it forms in Europe, Canada or Asia. It's laughable to say the snow is different. It's a little embarassing, but Vancouver had quite a lot of difficulty with snow. We had to transport snow onto the mountains from elsewhere (and make them artificially), because it just wouldn't snow. We had days when it rained and drizzled! We of course had days when it snowed too. I don't hear you complaining about Vancouver, Tulsa. Perhaps Canada has too many French speakers for you to be able to criticize, n'est-ce pas? Perhaps you WOULD criticize the Vancounver Olympics, where there are lots of Asian ethicities... Perhaps you'll criticize anything but French.

Oh, and this nature person... he no Korean.

Annecy have used to clean after snowfall, each year we have lot of snowfall and isn't a problem because everybody is prepared to live with snow... We don't have need military to clean the city not like in Korea...

I think is a good thing to have lot of snow to host WoG or you prefer WoG where there aren't snow like in Korea? ;)

The Canadian military helps shovel snow in Toronto too. In Canada and Korea, we consider it a civic duty. Don't blame us just because your country won't do the same for you.

Some of you seem to have a weird 'M*A*S*H-type' image of Korea. There are no palm trees and it's not a tropical country. They have four distinct seasons and as I already said, they have bitterly cold winters.

The funny thing is Tulsa probably actually believes this. :lol: He can think what he wants. The IOC members are too smart to fall for his words.

Archived