Pyeongchang Olympic Stadium

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pyeongchang will not build the Olympic stadium.

Opening ceremony in ski jumping park, do you like it?

40,000 temporary seats will increase.

Yes. It shows it is a bid with common sense. PC and Gangwon do not NEED a 50,000 stadium just for Ceremonies. It is a frugal and sensible bid.

Next!!

Yes. It shows it is a bid with common sense. PC and Gangwon do not NEED a 50,000 stadium just for Ceremonies. It is a frugal and sensible bid.

Next!!

Munich promise to hold a grand opening ceremony in front of 70,000 spectators.

I give more point to Minich. :)

I like Pyeongchang idea of making the ceremony on the sky jumping park. They have the chance of making another ceremony with a winter feeling like Lillehammer (if it snows, of course). Making a 40.000 stadium on a small town is a waste of money.

I like Pyeongchang idea of making the ceremony on the sky jumping park. They have the chance of making another ceremony with a winter feeling like Lillehammer (if it snows, of course). Making a 40.000 stadium on a small town is a waste of money.

Well, not just Lillehammer, but the 2 Innsbruck WOGs OCs were held at their Bergiesl(?) Ski Jump stadium. That didn't make those Games any less.

The ceremonies stadium in Annecy will be on the lake... Exceptional !!! The best concept

Lake Placid 1932, 1980 and Salt Lake 2002 were all held by their lakes. :lol:

Athens 2004 created its OWN lake in the stadium.

The 2010 Asian and Youth Olympic Games OCs last summer were BOTH held by a lagoon.

So nothing new, Tulsa.

They all have great concepts. Munich first ceremony in a stadium which held a summer games and on the Olympic Park, Annecy on the lake, and Pyeongchang back in a sku jump stadium first time since Lillehammer. 2018 all looking good!

Lake Placid 1932, 1980 and Salt Lake 2002 were all held by their lakes. :lol: The Asian and Youth Olympic Games last summer were BOTH held by a lagoon. So nothing new, Tulsa.

stade_10.jpg

Annecy-2018---Ceremonies.jpg

46131.jpg

Borddulacimperialannecy.jpg

Salt Lake City wasn't like Annecy

Some pictures of Annecy lake parade

lac_annecy_feux.jpg

1084628111_56f63f61b5.jpg

WEB_CHEMIN_2382_1249777359.jpg

fete-lac4.jpg

Fete-Lac-Annecy_LR.jpg

Looks like a similar design to those stages used by the YOG's and Asian games last year, dont really like it <_<

Exactly...and BIG difference between the tropical water temps and that in the Alps. I don't know what the nighttime temps by that lake in Annecy are but it will certainly be a damp cold...so I don't know that the IOC or the various team doctors would want their athletes getting unneccesarily exposed to that damp night air on the opening of the Games.

In any case, Tulsa...it's a nice dream. Annency ain't happening.

Exactly...and BIG difference between the tropical water temps and that in the Alps. I don't know what the nighttime temps by that lake in Annecy are but it will certainly be a damp cold...so I don't know that the IOC or the various team doctors would want their athletes getting unneccesarily exposed to that damp night air on the opening of the Games.

In any case, Tulsa...it's a nice dream. Annency ain't happening.

The nighttime temps by Annecy in February is cold not very damp...

Annecy weather or Lake temps isn't a problem and won't be a problem for Athletes.. It's a crazy idea. :rolleyes:

I think you hate France or French people because in everything about French bid you find something bad... You speak about something you don't know, you don't know Annecy or Munich or even PC and you can know everything about everything... Because you don't know Annecy, you can it's a bad bid... You tell wrong arguments like Annecy weather, seriously stop to tell nonsense. Visibly you don't know about what you speak...

But seriously, when you look PC compare Munich or Annecy, Korea mustn't host WoG... If you want the best you can't go to Korea... There are nothing to have great games except to Speed skating ant artistic skating. There are no fervor, no capacity to organize correctly something. If you look Biathlon, Ski, Snowboard each time was a catastrophe. Athletes critics PC about organization or quality of supporters, weather conditions... Why someone would like to see WOG in PC?

Annecy ceremonies wil be very different than a traditional Stadium ceremonies like Vancouver, Sotchi, Turin... Munich don't have a original concept, it's a classic concept, PC is more original but isn't very exciting. Annecy can propose something different and very interesting for the spectators

. Each year there is The Annecy lake parade and there are about 150 000 spectators, it's a very impressive show very famous in Europe. I think Annecy have the best place to host ceremonies and some venue are very exceptional if you compare with PC and Munich.

The PC stadium will be a great ceremonies site! Great traditional feel at the alpine ski jump complex and a modern atmosphere with new people and new horizons for winter sports. It feels fresh and exciting to have ceremonies among the energy of a true winter sports venue, something the other candidates lack (unless Annecy decides to add ice sailing that is).

(and less than 30 minutes transit from anywhere within all Olympic venue clusters.

I think you hate France or French people because in everything about French bid you find something bad...

Au contraire, T. I probably have visited AND enjoyed my visits to France MORE than any other European country. I have dropped more of my hard-earned $$ there in France than any other place outside of the USA.

I LOVE and respect French culture and cuisine...but I also look at things from a GLOBAL perspective. Not everything is ALWAYS going to be French...or American...or German...or Greek. It's YOU who are very anti-Korean!!

Other NATIONALITIES and CULTURES have to have their turn on the world stage sometime. That you do NOT see that.

...you can know everything about everything

Ah Tulsa, BUT I DO!! B)

The PC stadium will be a great ceremonies site! Great traditional feel at the alpine ski jump complex and a modern atmosphere with new people and new horizons for winter sports. It feels fresh and exciting to have ceremonies among the energy of a true winter sports venue, something the other candidates lack (unless Annecy decides to add ice sailing that is).

(and less than 30 minutes transit from anywhere within all Olympic venue clusters.

Annecy stadium ceremonies is Between lake and mountains. Annecy city is in the Heart of mountain...

PC have a good concept, but Annecy ceremonies place is really magic and exceptional... Like each Annecy venues, like chamonix-mont-blanc....

Au contraire, T. I probably have visited AND enjoyed my visits to France MORE than any other European country. I have dropped more of my hard-earned $$ there in France than any other place outside of the USA.

I LOVE and respect French culture and cuisine...but I also look at things from a GLOBAL perspective. Not everything is ALWAYS going to be French...or American...or German...or Greek. It's YOU who are very anti-Korean!!

Other NATIONALITIES and CULTURES have to have their turn on the world stage sometime. That you do NOT see that.

I understand you, I like Asia, Korea, Japan, China, I'm not against Korea, I hope to go there quickly. I'm agree with you about Olympic games can't stay in America or Europa. But for WoG I think for the moment don't have the same level or knowledge like Europa or America to host good WoG. I love watch in my TV great snow event like Xgames or Ski like in Garmish or Val d'Isère, but when I look some event like this in Korea (each time was a catastrophe) , I can't imagine they could purpose something like in Europa or America...

Moreover about Annecy lot of people think isn't a good Bid or Venues are not very good to host WoG, but when you look the qualities of venues, they are higher than PC. Chamonix to host Alpin ski is one the world reference. About Freestyle ski France is a reference about organization like with (Xgames in Tignes) and Annecy venue is exceptional. For Biathlon and ski cross, La Clusaz and Le Grand Bornand venue are very high level. Annecy have a Xfactor !!!

Baron I think you like play with me when you critic Annecy ;) but please, you should look annecy Bid more exactly and you understand why Annecy have a chance in this race.

Tulsa, I am sure Annency is beautiful and all that...but France already has hosted 3 WOGs in this 1st 80+ years of the WOGs. A new country which hosted a GOOD Summer Games, has not. They want a shot at it; they deserve a chance.

1992's Albertville is TOO recent...that is why Spain (in a way like the US), has failed in its 2012 and 2016 Summer bids because the IOC body has found that Barcelona 1992 is too RECENT for them. Similarly, the NYC 2012 and CHicago 2016 bids failed because (i) the U.S. already had 4 Olympics in a span of 20 years (Lake Placid 1980, LA 1984 and the all-important 1996 Games). If there were NO other competent bidders in those years and NONE for 2018, then Annency will be what they call a shoo-in. But there are other COMPETENT bidders in these recent years. It was time to give others a chance.

It DOESN'T matter if Europe has better technical expertise in recent Winter events or that 3 people showed up in Korea's biathlon Champs. That is ONLY one small part of the OVERALL picture. The Olympics (and the World Cup) are a global goodwill event. If the World Cup has gone to South Africa and will go to Qatar, then why can't the smaller WOGs go to Korea, which is an industrialized country after all. These prestige global events are rotated around the world to promote goodwill amongst the various nations of the world.

If you DON'T get that, then I'm afraid you won't get the results of the IOC Session in July either.

I understand your point of view but I prefer to have the best quality than give a chance to a new country to host WoG... I want to have a good show, the best of the best, and I think korea can't offer that...

For example with Fifa World cup in Korea/Japan, it was one of the worst world cup of the history... Boring... and with lot of problems. I'm afraid about Qatar, seriously it's very damage for the sport...

But good luck to Korea and Germany and see you in july ;)

I understand your point of view but I prefer to have the best quality than give a chance to a new country to host WoG... I want to have a good show, the best of the best, and I think korea can't offer that...

For example with Fifa World cup in Korea/Japan, it was one of the worst world cup of the history... Boring... and with lot of problems. I'm afraid about Qatar, seriously it's very damage for the sport...

But good luck to Korea and Germany and see you in july ;)

Well, Munich 1972 WASN'T EXACTLY THE BEST!! What? 11 people lost their lives in a bloody way?

Re Qatar 2022, well we may not agree with those fools but the point is they awarded that tournament to Qatar...good or bad. Let the chips fall where they may.

Hi!

I'm Mike from Canada.

Wow... I must say I'm slightly appalled by some of the comments here. Some users seem to be very anti- non-winter tradition nations... somewhat derogatory at times. So much prejudice.

Anyway, I'm Canadian but have lived in Korea. So, seeing as there's not a single Korean person here to defend themselves, I thought I might join the discussion. I agree with some of the comments that the ski slopes and resorts in Korea are perhaps not the most comparable to those of usual ski destinations. BUT Gangwon province actually has pretty decent amount of snow every year AND they have pretty good snow! The six years I have been there, I went skiing every single winter and never was disappointed. Mind you, I'm Canadian and know what good skiing is.

Also, I hear comments about how Korea is not a ski destination. Well, from what I have witnessed and heard, it IS a major ski destination in Asia. Again, those of you who are anti- so-called 'non-winter tradition' countries will probably say Asia doesn't count, but seeing as they have at least a third of the world's population (1 billion in China, another billion in India), I wouldn't quite ignore them...

Now, coming to the point about the so-called 'winter tradition.' I keep seeing comments from certain individuals that Korea does not have a winter tradition. Well... they certainly don't have the same tradition as you or I as Western ethnic groups, but seeing as Korea as a nation has a recorded history of 5000 years AND all those years they had winters every single year, I wouldn't say they have no winter tradition. They just have a different winter tradition. Instead of using skis to go downhill, they used snowshoes. Instead of developing ski as a sport, they just stuck with sledding and ice skating and other sports on ice (the names of which I cannot remember...). Perhaps that's why they're so good on ice? It's only over the last 60 years or so that the Koreans have had proper contact with the Western world, following the world wars and Korean war... I think they've done pretty well for themselves for a nation that had to rebuild itself from scratch.

Also, as a counter-argument for the 'lack of winter tradition' argument, they have been in the top 10 of the medals table since 1992 onwards, except in Salt Lake. In fact, I was shocked to see Korea come 5th at Vancouver! I actually had no idea they were a pretty strong team. This is comparable to teams such as France, which over the last 5 games, has hovered between 8th and 11th place. I'm not gonna mention Canada, 'cause we all know how awesome Canada is. lol. jk.

Anyway, regardless of all of the above, olympics bids isn't about who deserves it vs not. It's about who has the most power in sports diplomacy in terms of politics as well as economics. To me, tapping into the Asian winter sports market sounds very profitable. Besides, imagine how much sponsorship the IOC would be getting from Samsung and Hyundai!

I think I'll end my rant there.

Mike.

Hi, Mike

You lived in korea? where?

Yes, Pyeongchang can host enough.

Maybe a big challenges.

But showdown between Munich and PC.

Munich's landslide victory. Munich must win.

Winter sports tradition, infrastructure, experience, atmosphere and everything else

Of course, if it did not consider the dynamics.

This is 1997 winter universiade ski jumping park in Korea.

Since that day, an abandoned state. B)

img_3.jpg

Registered players number only four.

Athletes did not supply the last 10 years.

They have neglected athletes development.

DREAM program?

Dreams Nowhere, just the show for bid promotional purposes.

In addition, Korean young people are not participating.

Korean youth and foreign youth, Who is the priority?

It is a case of putting the cart before the horse. :D

Their interest is only convention.

In terms of olympic movement, Korea are not eligible to held.

Hi, Mike

You lived in korea? where?

Yes, Pyeongchang can host enough.

Maybe a big challenges.

But showdown between Munich and PC.

Munich's landslide victory. Munich must win.

Winter sports tradition, infrastructure, experience, atmosphere and everything else

Of course, if it did not consider the dynamics.

This is 1997 winter universiade ski jumping park in Korea.

Since that day, an abandoned state. B)

img_3.jpg

Registered players number only four.

Athletes did not supply the last 10 years.

They have neglected athletes development.

DREAM program?

Dreams Nowhere, just the show for bid promotional purposes.

In addition, Korean young people are not participating.

Korean youth and foreign youth, Who is the priority?

It is a case of putting the cart before the horse. :D

Their interest is only convention.

In terms of olympic movement, Korea are not eligible to held.

Hey nature, mike JUST DEBUNKED all your futile, pathetic attempts to put Korea down!! You and Tulsa should hold hands and take a one-way ride down Gwangeon Falls!! :lol:

Hi!

I'm Mike from Canada.

Wow... I must say I'm slightly appalled by some of the comments here. Some users seem to be very anti- non-winter tradition nations... somewhat derogatory at times. So much prejudice.

Anyway, I'm Canadian but have lived in Korea. So, seeing as there's not a single Korean person here to defend themselves, I thought I might join the discussion. I agree with some of the comments that the ski slopes and resorts in Korea are perhaps not the most comparable to those of usual ski destinations. BUT Gangwon province actually has pretty decent amount of snow every year AND they have pretty good snow! The six years I have been there, I went skiing every single winter and never was disappointed. Mind you, I'm Canadian and know what good skiing is.

Also, I hear comments about how Korea is not a ski destination. Well, from what I have witnessed and heard, it IS a major ski destination in Asia. Again, those of you who are anti- so-called 'non-winter tradition' countries will probably say Asia doesn't count, but seeing as they have at least a third of the world's population (1 billion in China, another billion in India), I wouldn't quite ignore them...

Now, coming to the point about the so-called 'winter tradition.' I keep seeing comments from certain individuals that Korea does not have a winter tradition. Well... they certainly don't have the same tradition as you or I as Western ethnic groups, but seeing as Korea as a nation has a recorded history of 5000 years AND all those years they had winters every single year, I wouldn't say they have no winter tradition. They just have a different winter tradition. Instead of using skis to go downhill, they used snowshoes. Instead of developing ski as a sport, they just stuck with sledding and ice skating and other sports on ice (the names of which I cannot remember...). Perhaps that's why they're so good on ice? It's only over the last 60 years or so that the Koreans have had proper contact with the Western world, following the world wars and Korean war... I think they've done pretty well for themselves for a nation that had to rebuild itself from scratch.

Also, as a counter-argument for the 'lack of winter tradition' argument, they have been in the top 10 of the medals table since 1992 onwards, except in Salt Lake. In fact, I was shocked to see Korea come 5th at Vancouver! I actually had no idea they were a pretty strong team. This is comparable to teams such as France, which over the last 5 games, has hovered between 8th and 11th place. I'm not gonna mention Canada, 'cause we all know how awesome Canada is. lol. jk.

Anyway, regardless of all of the above, olympics bids isn't about who deserves it vs not. It's about who has the most power in sports diplomacy in terms of politics as well as economics. To me, tapping into the Asian winter sports market sounds very profitable. Besides, imagine how much sponsorship the IOC would be getting from Samsung and Hyundai!

I think I'll end my rant there.

Mike.

About snow PC has one the worst quality if you compare other destinations... 25 cm during one winter... It's not enough but with artificial snow, they can compensate but is it good for environment? I'm not sure... Moreover they artificial is less good than natural...

You compare Snow in Canada and Korea? Are you serious? :blink:

Nobody here say Asia doesn't count but only Korea isn't the good choice to comeback in Asia, Japan or China have a better potential and snow condition...

Korea doesn't have winter tradition... And when you look there medal it's only with Shortrack and artistic recently... But in the fact, korea didn't know winter sport before 1990... And now except with skating korea don't like winter sport (Remember biathlon, Freestyle)

If you want good games and winter atmosphere forget Korea... and come in Europa... I want great games not artificial

Archived