Argentina-Uruguay 2030

Sir Rols

Under the present rotation system, we can't have applications from Asia or Europe for 2026. Only Africa and the Americas will bid. If Argentina and Uruguay focus in 2030 will open the way to USA to host in 2026. The maximum period that Europe waited to receive a world cup was between 2006 and 2018. This same interval would be repeated between 2018 and 2030. It is unlikely that the world cup 2030 will be outside Europe. The next Cup in South America is more likely to occur in 2034.

I suspect they'll change it by then if FIFA like the idea of returning to Uruguay in 2030 (or keep it if they fancy it being in Europe). They're certainly not going to leave it 16 years between two European tournaments. The best thing though about talking about 2030 now is it's likely to be a world without Sebb Blatter, which can only be a good thing.

I think that Argentina dreaming about hosting the World Cup at this moment is a reaaaally bad joke. They have just hosted the worst Copa América in the past years... the stadiums weren't the problems: it was the organization. They couldn't manage the ticket selling, the press, the accommodations, the broadcasting, etc, etc...

As if FIFA care about little things like that. :D

• 1 year later...

FIFA president Sepp Blatter confirmed in Sao Paulo that FIFA received officially a joint bid from Argentina and Uruguay to host the 2030 World Cup, the centennial year of the competition.

Source (portuguese only):

http://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/copa-do-mundo/noticia/2012/11/argentina-e-uruguai-oficializam-candidatura-para-mundial-de-2030.html

Haha FIFA is yet to choose a 2026 host in almost 4 years :lol: is too premature, but I like the idea that they are going to plan with plenty of time a joint bid! ¡Buena suerte amigos del sur!

BTW which cities could be host in Uruguay aside from Montevideo? I'm bad with geography :S

Haha FIFA is yet to choose a 2026 host in almost 4 years :lol: is too premature, but I like the idea that they are going to plan with plenty of time a joint bid! ¡Buena suerte amigos del sur!

BTW which cities could be host in Uruguay aside from Montevideo? I'm bad with geography :S

Montevideo is the only logical city imo. All other cities are smaller then 150.000 people.

But at least 4 stadiums will be needed. Maybe putting a stadium in Punta Del Este (tourist trap) will help.

Or let Uruguay host one group and the rest in Argentina. Doesn't look balance but FIFA isn't balanced by making one city host 7 stadiums in 2022.

Montevideo is the only logical city imo. All other cities are smaller then 150.000 people.

But at least 4 stadiums will be needed. Maybe putting a stadium in Punta Del Este (tourist trap) will help.

Or let Uruguay host one group and the rest in Argentina. Doesn't look balance but FIFA isn't balanced by making one city host 7 stadiums in 2022.

Sureee haha :lol: You gave me some idea, perhaps a mayor redevelopment in Centenario Stadium, another 40,000 for Peñarol, Punta del Este, and another one in Uruguay's second city, and leave the other 8 to Argentina... Kinda reminds me off Spain-Portugal's bid!

Maybe 2 or 3 in Uruguay would be enough They'd probably have to be partially temporary outside of Montevideo. Then the rest in Argentina. 2xBuenos Aires, Rosario, Córdoba, Mendoza, Mar del Plata, La Plata, maybe Santa Fe, Salta, Jujuy or San Juan

• 5 weeks later...

I like this logo posted in SSC thread

mundial-argentina-uruguay-2030.jpg

That's pretty nice. Uruguay has 4 stars on their shirt though, which includes their two Olympic golds pre-World Cup. Uruguay would want it on the logo, I'm guessing Argentina wouldn't want it. In any case, the logo would lose its symmetry.

• 3 weeks later...

^^Agree.

Argentina need to fix some thing here and there, but they have plenty time to organize nice World Cup along with Uruguay 2030.

FIFA love sentimental appeals. I think this is a "already-won" bid.

I still think England can have a chance... Why?

1. Better infrastructure

2. Mother place of football

3. European bids will not be allowed in 2026

The cons are:

1. Arg/Uru have the sentimental advantage

2. England hasn't showed any interest at all

Argentina-Uruguay will be fantastic, but till FIFA's announcement anything can happen

Argentina need to fix some thing here and there, but they have plenty time to organize nice World Cup along with Uruguay 2030.

FIFA love sentimental appeals. I think this is a "already-won" bid.

17 years is a long ways off and we're probably looking at almost a decade until the decision is made. There is way too much that can happen between now and then to hand this one to them already.

I'm with int on this one.. 2026 looks like it's probably headed to North America unless FIFA changes the rules about how long a confederation needs to wait before submitting bids. That's always possible, but if that doesn't happen, then the next available WC for Europe is 2030 and all the sentimentality in the world may not be enough for Argentina-Uruguay to trump all the European bidders likely to line up for that one.

I think the progression we're looking at is North America 2026, Europe 2030, then 2034 and 2038 in some order go to Asia and South America. Obviously a lot can and probably will happen before then, but at this point, my money is on the 2030 World Cup being held in Europe.

If fifa really want Argentina and Uruguay to host the centennial world cup they will easily

change their rules and give 2026 to Europe.

the continental rotation rule started after the 2006 bidding process and changed again for 2018/2022.

they can cancel this rule and make it open for all countries and confederations as what it was before 2010 bid race.

everything can change especially after Sepp Blatter leaves the fifa in 2015.

If fifa really want Argentina and Uruguay to host the centennial world cup they will easily
change their rules and give 2026 to Europe.
the continental rotation rule started after the 2006 bidding process and changed again for 2018/2022.
they can cancel this rule and make it open for all countries and confederations as what it was before 2010 bid race.
everything can change especially after Sepp Blatter leaves the fifa in 2015.

That's what I think also. My money is on (Western) Europe hosting in 2026 with probably England or Spain. WIth the rotation rule 2026 would be too easy for Concacaf and there really isn't any need for a hosting yet with Mexico having done it twice and USA being quite recent host. I don't consider Canada an option this time. If however NA gets 2026, then 2030 is likely destined to Europe. Otherwise I'd say it's Europe 2026, Arg/Uru 2030, NA and Asia in some order for 2034-38.

I disagree. Uruguay has no infrastructure and as you put it Argentina's stadiums are in decay. With 2026 likely destined for North America 2030 will likely be a European host with England the birthplace of soccer having some appeal.

Uruguay does have a nice infra-structure if you consider Uruguay have 3 million people living there (half in their charming capital city).

Montevideo have the most modern airport in South America (of course not the bigger one)

Punta del Este Airport is also nice, but maybe too small for a World Cup.

In terms of Airports, they have already a nice begginings.

The highway from Montevideo to Punta del Este is 4-lane and with posts all the route (which seemed weird to me, since there is nothing around).

For a 2-host cities country, it looks pretty nice already to me.

The biggest problem of Uruguay is stadiums.

Centenario (the one built fro 1930 WC) seems exactly the same that was in 1930 - needs serious refubshment.

And there is the lack of a second nice stadium for a World Cup.

But I do think Uruguay can easily refurbsh Centenario and build a new one, specially if the announcement of 2030 be long time before the Cup.

The biggest problem - if the Cup was held today - is in the other margin of the river, since Argentina would host 5 or 6 venues, this makes things more complicated.

FIFA already changed rules to respond to sentimentalisms and appeals before...

The 2010-2014 things was to send the World Cup to South Africa (after the scandal of 2006 voting) and give the 2014 to Brazil, in the 100th anniversary of Brazilian FA.

Indeed, when Brazil declined the 2006 bid, the FA president Teixeira (close friend to RobH like I'm closed friends with BBC journalists) said Brazil would host 2014 because CBF would be celebrating 100 years...

FIFA is mafia. They do want they want to do. If they like the idea to bring the Cup back to Uruguay to celebrate 100 years, they will...

Uruguay does have a nice infra-structure if you consider Uruguay have 3 million people living there (half in their charming capital city).

Montevideo have the most modern airport in South America (of course not the bigger one)

Punta del Este Airport is also nice, but maybe too small for a World Cup.

In terms of Airports, they have already a nice begginings.

The highway from Montevideo to Punta del Este is 4-lane and with posts all the route (which seemed weird to me, since there is nothing around).

For a 2-host cities country, it looks pretty nice already to me.

The biggest problem of Uruguay is stadiums.

Centenario (the one built fro 1930 WC) seems exactly the same that was in 1930 - needs serious refubshment.

And there is the lack of a second nice stadium for a World Cup.

But I do think Uruguay can easily refurbsh Centenario and build a new one, specially if the announcement of 2030 be long time before the Cup.

The biggest problem - if the Cup was held today - is in the other margin of the river, since Argentina would host 5 or 6 venues, this makes things more complicated.

That is the thing. Is there going to be enough want to build a 60,000 seat stadium in Montevideo and a 40,000+ stadium elsewhere?