Argentina-Uruguay 2030

Sir Rols

Argentina And Uruguay To Launch Joint Bid For 2030 World Cup

Mar 16, 2011 - After the World Cup Finals are set to break new ground in Russia (2018) and Qatar (2022), not to mention the possibility of Chia in 2026, Uruguay and Argentina are hoping FIFA will return to their roots for the 2030 tournament, which will mark 100 years since the first World Cup was held in Montevideo. The two finalists from 1930 (Uruguay won 4-2) are launching a joint bid to convince FIFA to let them host 19 years from now, and although that may seem like a long way down the line we should remember that Qatar were awarded their tournament twelve years in advance.

The bid, it seems, will officially launch at the 2011 Copa América, which is to be hosted by Argentina. Sports Minister Claudio Morresi and his Uruguayan counterpart Hector Lescano will be heading the effort to bring the World Cup back to its birthplace, and they are (surprise!) thrilled to have the opportunity. Said Lescano:

Organizing a World Cup gives a chance to promote the countries, to promote tourism, culture, to boost infrastructure, transport, communications and nowadays it would be impossible for Uruguay to do it on its own, but jointly with Argentina, it’s different and a great chance.

A wonderful occasion to celebrate a hundred years of world competition of one of the most popular sports on Earth.

Do they deserve it? Yes. Argentina have the pedigree with a consistently excellent side, and Uruguay have plenty of history on their side too, not to mention the fact that it would be wonderful to mark the World Cup's 100th anniversary by returning to where it all began. Each country has won the competition twice and hosted once. Will they get it? Even with FIFA's bizarre voting rules, I think it would come as a big surprise if they went a different route - the opportunity to promote the sport's history by going with a Uruguay/Argentina bid is just too great to ignore.

SB Nation

• 4 months later...

Yawn.

I guess we've got 12 more years of Argentina-Uruguay reminding us that they're going to go for 2030. Unless someone in FIFA has the guts to tell them before that a joint bid won't cut it.

Argentina, Uruguay in joint bid for 2030 World Cup

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) — The presidents of Argentina and Uruguay are backing a joint campaign for both countries to host the 2030 World Cup.

The South American neighbors have been friendly and not-so-friendly rivals over the years, but both leaders say it's time to work together for a shared future.

Argentina's Cristina Fernandez and Uruguay's Jose Mujica officially formed a bilateral commission to promote the World Cup bid, comprised of both countries' presidents, cabinet members and football league leaders.

The bid is a long shot since it would come relatively soon after Brazil's Cup in 2014. While Japan and South Korea's joint World Cup in 2002 was seen as a success, world football leaders tend to favor single-country bids.

On the other hand, Argentine Football Association President Julio Grondona is close to FIFA President Sepp Blatter. And as FIFA's senior vice president Grondona is thought to wield considerable influence.

A decision on who hosts the 2030 World Cup is some way off. FIFA, football's world governing body, last year awarded the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 edition to Qatar.

Uruguay and Argentina have hosted and won the World Cup in the past. Uruguay hosted and won the first World Cup in 1930 and Argentina won it at home in 1978.

Mujica said the time has come for both neighbors to set aside their rivalries, in sports as well as business, politics and many other aspects of life.

"For too many decades we have lived with our backs turned to each other in Latin America, always looking toward Europe, always admiring what's far away," Mujica said. "Now the time has come to take notice that our future will be determined with our neighbors, that we suffer from the same difficulties, and that we escape them together or not at all."

The two presidents also signed accords implementing a shared natural gas project in Uruguay, a commission to foster shared business investments, the rehabilitation of railroad connections, the construction of a new international bridge across their shared Uruguay River, and a plan to pay for it all using their own currencies.

"One of the keys is not only dialogue and integration, but also association, because being a member helps all sides win," Fernandez said.

Greenwich Time.com

Yawn.

I guess we've got 12 more years of Argentina-Uruguay reminding us that they're going to go for 2030. Unless someone in FIFA has the guts to tell them before that a joint bid won't cut it.

This is what happens when we choose the 2022 host 12 years ahead of time. Now we're talking about the 2030 World Cup?? If FIFA had kept with deciding hosts 6 years ahead of time like they traditionally did, we would still be excited about the 2018 bidding, which is actually relevant to the state of football as we know it in 2011.

This is what happens when we choose the 2022 host 12 years ahead of time. Now we're talking about the 2030 World Cup?? If FIFA had kept with deciding hosts 6 years ahead of time like they traditionally did, we would still be excited about the 2018 bidding, which is actually relevant to the state of football as we know it in 2011.

Couldn't agre with you more. And it's even one of the few things that Sepp will admit he regrets now (not that I fel sorry for him - he can stew in his own consequences as far as I'm concerned).

And things gets even worse when we look to Uruguay, a country with "virtually" one big city only, the capital. The second biggest city of Uruguay have 118,000 people...

Well, Danny, so Uruguay will be like the Kaliningrad part of Russia 2018 - one venue totally separated from the bigger part of the country.

Actually, this sentimental appeal works more for FIFA than to IOC, and I won't be surprised if Blatter and their friends come with a new rule to asure Argentina and Uruguay to host the World Cup in 2030... Or simply close the bid process by saying it's the centennial World Cup and FIFA wants to go there.

Actually, this sentimental appeal works more for FIFA than to IOC, and I won't be surprised if Blatter and their friends come with a new rule to asure Argentina and Uruguay to host the World Cup in 2030... Or simply close the bid process by saying it's the centennial World Cup and FIFA wants to go there.

Probably so; and I think it's a legitimate pitch. But after BA, Montevideo, Cordoba, Rosario, Mendoza, all the rest seem to be smaller cities.

Probably so; and I think it's a legitimate pitch. But after BA, Montevideo, Cordoba, Rosario, Mendoza, all the rest seem to be smaller cities.

According to FIFA, it's needed 8 cities to host a World Cup.

Buenos Aires,

Montevideo,

Cordoba,

Rosario,

Mendoza,

San Juan de la Frontera (they have a nice stadium there, new and built for Copa America, but still very small)

and 2 white elephants to be built (one in each side of River Plate).

Ok, back to real world, Uruguay is a country which the GDP is smaller than the city of Brasilia, I'm not sure they would have money to build 2 new stadiums with all boring and expensive FIFA requirements (Brazil and South Africa knows how FIFA asks for stupid details in the stadiums, and how these details makes the works expensive).

Argentina, actually, lives in a financial crisis since the 90s, with an anual inflation around 30% per year and a populist governement (actually I can't remember in entire history when Argentina didn't have a populist government), they probably can't pay for so many refurbshments and works.

The infra-structure of Argentina in a overall is very bad: two examples: they have only one two-lane highway in the entire country and they don't have a single approx radar for the Buenos Aires airport (controled remotely by Brazilian militaries in a friendship agreement)

Only a sentimental appeal and a strong wish from FIFA can fill the dreams to send the 2030 WC to our neighbours that now presents more risks for a World Cup than Brazil or South Africa ...

I do think Chile is the next South American country to host. Or maybe a crazy tri-joint bid from Argentina, Chile and Uruguay can be less riskier... I don't know.

According to FIFA, it's needed 8 cities to host a World Cup.

Buenos Aires,

Montevideo,

Cordoba,

Rosario,

Mendoza,

San Juan de la Frontera (they have a nice stadium there, new and built for Copa America, but still very small)

and 2 white elephants to be built (one in each side of River Plate).

I do think Chile is the next South American country to host. Or maybe a crazy tri-joint bid from Argentina, Chile and Uruguay can be less riskier... I don't know.

Add Mar del Plata and La Plata to the list. Buenos Aires could have two stadiums. Santa Fe is also one option, maybe Jujuy. It's sad that FIFA is so negative towards joint bids because of Korea and Japan although they seem to work in European Championships. The biggest obstacle I see for this bid is the imbalance as Uruguay would have no more than two, maximum three, stadia. Uruguay and Argentina share the history, much of their culture and also the Rioplatense language. So the first finalists of the World Cup ever to host the tournament together would be nice.

I think Chile is too small to do it alone, outside of Santiago where would they go? I believe Colombia is much more probable as a future host.