Two observations from prior Olympics:

- There are always more tickets later. Demand seems extremly high for London 2012, so I expect fewer tickets to come up than usual. But there will be something

- You want to balance seeing events in person with enjoying the host city and Olympic experience. When in doubt, get fewer tickets rather than more.

I have some different observations being to 2 games myself.

Although more tickets are available later, the sooner you get them the better.

A lot of people suddenly remember that they want to attend and it could be even harder to get them.

Most of the action is in the olympic park and not in the city. If in doubt get the tickets and sell them later.

It's easier to sell than buy.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I got bored of waiting to get ticket holders off the 2012 website so Ive made my own. Bought official Lanyards, found plastic ticket holders then branded the holder up myself. Blank one side and

Just got my Paralympics email. I got Opening, closing ceremonies and athletics with the 100m final woo hoo.

OMG!!! I got 2x £20.12 Opening Ceremony tickets !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't believe it I am going to the opening ceremony!!!!!!! :D:D:D

I have some different observations being to 2 games myself.

Although more tickets are available later, the sooner you get them the better.

A lot of people suddenly remember that they want to attend and it could be even harder to get them.

Most of the action is in the olympic park and not in the city. If in doubt get the tickets and sell them later.

It's easier to sell than buy.

I would caution against going overboard with tickets. My own (and only) Olympics experience in Sydney was that I went to too many events. I really enjoyed them but the memories in hindsight were quickly a blur and I distinctly remember being exhausted at points during the fortnight.

This time, I am trying to achieve more of a balance, and trying to resist my natural temptation to buy tickets for as much as possible. In Sydney, I didn't have the time to savour what else was going on, the general vibe - concerts, big screens, and other festivities etc. This time, I want to experience that. I wasn't at Athens or Beijing, but I imagine that London, like Sydney, will be like a big party outside the venues, both at Olympic Park and in Central London. Like in Australia, the UK is sports-mad, and the Olympics are a big thing - hence the rush for tickets, for example.

Having said all this, I do agree with Sports Addict that in this particular instance, it may not be particularly easy getting tickets as the games draw nearer, especially if one is particularly choosy.

Thank you....fingers crossed!...it´s a DREAM, a BIG DREAM with 14 years and 364 days...since Atlanta 1996... :)

i will see in august or in december/january (LOCOG)...

Update on Slovakia. A Twitter user (@nicolewoods) just heard from Slovakian reseller. The updated 'ticket only' inventory will be posted on their website on 28th July (the current inventory is only what is available as part of a package). Email applications open at midnight local time on 1st Aug.

Tickets for London 2012 Live Sites will be allocated on first-come, first-served basis

July 20 - Neale Coleman, the director of the London 2012 Coordination at the Greater London Authority (GLA), has revealed that tickets to attend Live Sites during the Olympic and Paralympics will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis in order to avoid the controversy that occurred in applications for tickets to the events.

The random ballot system - employed by London 2012 Organisers to decide where tickets for the Olympics would go - came under heavy criticism earlier this year after a total of 1.2 million people ended up with nothing in the first round of applications with only 700,000, 36 per cent of applicants, being successful.

There was further frustration at the fact that money was taken from accounts before people realised which tickets they had received but Coleman, one of London Mayor Boris Johnson's closest advisors, predicted that tickets to the Live Sites at the Games will not incur the same problems.

"Access to the Live Sites in London during the Games will be ticketed and these tickets are likely to be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis so we will not see the same problems that there were with the 2012 Olympic ticket random ballet," Coleman told the London Assembly here.

"Therefore people will know straight away whether they have secured tickets to the Live Sites and not be left in the dark.

"We obviously don't have as many tickets for the Live Sites as there were for the Olympic venues but we don't expect to see anywhere near the demand there was for Olympic tickets.

"Tickets to enter the Live Sites in London will be free of charge except on three days.

"These will be the final day of the Torch Relay on July 26 [the day before the Opening Ceremony], the Opening Ceremony on July 27 and the Closing Ceremony on August 12."

The Live Sites in London during the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, which are being masterminded by the Mayor's Office, The Royal Parks and Tower Hamlets Council, will see festival sites in Hyde Park, Victoria Park, Trafalgar Square and Potters Fields Park, which is adjacent to City Hall.

Big Screens will be in place showing live action of Olympic and Paralympic competition while event promoters Live Nation, whose portfolio of work includes organising the famous Concert for Diana at Wembley Stadium in 2007, organised by Princes William and Harry, will be charged with running the Live Sites./quote]

Story here

Why do they have to be ticketed? I know crowds will be large, but the idea of having them ticketed seems like there are too many ways it could go wrong? I wonder if your ticket get you access for an entire day, or only for a part of a day to allow more people to come in and experience the live site?

Just had an email back and forth conversation with Slovak seller.

You are limited to 8 tickets per application - so that could be 1 session, 8 tickets or 8 sessions with a ticket in each one.

Worth knowing as they may reject your application otherwise (for not reading the T & C's...)

Ive been on the Slavakian Website. Do I need to download the 3rd of the PDF's the one you sign and have to put your details on. Then I sign that and send 2 copies back to them to be able to apply in writing when the tickets go on sale. Is that right?

At the end of that PDF after the signing bit it says When in Brataslava, what does that mean?

Ive been on the Slavakian Website. Do I need to download the 3rd of the PDF's the one you sign and have to put your details on. Then I sign that and send 2 copies back to them to be able to apply in writing when the tickets go on sale. Is that right?

At the end of that PDF after the signing bit it says When in Brataslava, what does that mean?

3d??? :huh: i only see 2!! what means the "P" in the excel list? Package??!

Big news on remaining LOCOG tickets, Paul Deighton the 2012 CEO reported as saying this in the Guardian.

A final 1.2m tickets across all sports will go on sale in small batches between December and March. Deighton reveals that final batch will also be reserved for the 1m original applicants in the first phase who have yet to secure a ticket.

"People who made a big effort to get involved in the ballot, they made a big emotional investment. It feels as if we owe them something," he says. "There will be some disappointed people among those who didn't get organised. But hopefully this will be seen as the fairest way to allocate a finite number of seats across a massive surge in demand."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jul/22/organisers-london-2012-on-course-success

3d??? :huh: i only see 2!! what means the "P" in the excel list? Package??!

I think the P means Prime, H means High, L means Low - it refers to the expected demand for the tickets. In practice it has no effect on your application, except that you should expect that many others will also be applying for the P events!!! Anyhow, best to wait for July 28 when several people have been told on good authority, that the spreadsheet for individual ticket sales will be updated.

Big news on remaining LOCOG tickets, Paul Deighton the 2012 CEO reported as saying this in the Guardian.

A final 1.2m tickets across all sports will go on sale in small batches between December and March. Deighton reveals that final batch will also be reserved for the 1m original applicants in the first phase who have yet to secure a ticket.

"People who made a big effort to get involved in the ballot, they made a big emotional investment. It feels as if we owe them something," he says. "There will be some disappointed people among those who didn't get organised. But hopefully this will be seen as the fairest way to allocate a finite number of seats across a massive surge in demand."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jul/22/organisers-london-2012-on-course-success

Interesting...In Sydney 2000 they did something similar for the respective same phase of sales. It was one or two sports being sold per day, over period of two to three weeks. If more tix were demanded than available for any session, the session went to ballot and results of this announced within two days. If less tix demanded then available, then tix were allocated to all requesters. Wonder if we'll see a similar system in London 2012?

Are tickets really *that* hard to get?

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/17072011/58/london-2012-pensioner-2012-ticket-heartache.html

An 82-year-old man who has travelled to every Olympics since 1960 has been left heartbroken after failing to secure a ticket for next year's Games in London.

Denis Clayton, from Cheshire (England), has shown incredible dedication to attend the world's biggest sporting event ever since the 1960 Games in Rome, when drove to Italy in a camper van.

But after travelling the globe to watch the world's finest athletes in action ever since, he has now said that he has been denied the chance to attend London 2012.

Denis was one of the 1.8 million people who entered the first ballot when applying for around £400 of tickets but was left disappointed. His attempt to secure tickets in the second ballot was similarly unfruitful.

“I’ve travelled the world to get to other Games," he told the Sunday Mirror.

"In the old days you could turn up a couple of weeks before and get tickets. Now, when the Games are down the road, I can’t get a seat for a single event.

"At my age these Olympics might well be my last.”

According to the newspaper, Denis travelled to the 1964 Games in Tokyo via a Russian cargo boat and the Trans-Siberian Express. Meanwhile, his journey to the 1968 Games in Mexico saw him stay with an Inca tribe for a week.

He added of his failure to secure a ticket for London 2012: “It’s all about money and who you are. It’s so sad.”

Eurosport

I'm completely shocked the London 2012 OlympicGames has been a complete sell out. I mean, who thought that would happen, eh?

I wasn't surprised. With each Olympics, they become the event-for-a-lifetime experience...thus the demand WILL always build up for each passing edition. I had no problems getting OC tickets for LA, Barcelona. But starting with Atlanta, even tho I was in the cast, I got a pair of tix for my folks but still had to go thru the Lottery, and even then we ended up with seats like the 3rd highest row in the "C" section. (I had to get them in shape for that hike up there...) Had no luck whatsoever the usual route w/ Beijing and Vancouver -- because the demand had increased exponentially.

The IOC will never have to fear that their shows will fail at the box office.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I am just so surprised (in an good way) that the games as a whole have been so in demand. Though it never fails to amuse me of the amount of British that can only moan about not getting tickets, hell i can sympathsise and understand the dissapointment they will feel but hell it should make the uk as a whole damn proud that these games look likely to be a complete sell out. And i just hope that this repeats itself for the paralympics too (oh god, round 2 of all the moaning of no tickets lololol)

So I guess any last-minute plans to go to London in terms of tickets and accomodation would be futile at this point?

accomodations no, tickets depends on cosport

There are always more tickets. Cosport will have another round at some point. You will probably have access to the buyer-to-buyer sales network LOCOG will set up. Worst case, there will be scalpers.

As far as accomidations, post tourists haven't even begun to find places to stay.

If you want to go, choose to go and make it happen.

Every NOC received tickets for the Opening and Closing ceremonys?! I´m in Portugal and the Portuguese Olympic Committee don´t have tickets for the ceremonys. Well, they bought tickets to some VIP but to the generaly public they don ´t have. Just to some events. In the others NOC it´s the same situation?!

Thank you

Hi Baptista

A BBC journalist James Pearce (@pearcesport on Twitter) contacted the Portuguese reseller this week and was told that individual ticket sales are now available - that anyone interested should get session codes from Locog website and send an email to callcenter@cosmos-viagens.pt with your details and what u want (see http://twitter.com/#!/Pearcesport/status/95827267820851200) - as a result several ppl contacted the reseller with various requests (both popular and low demand tickets) but not a single person received a 'yes, we have' from them. As you are in that country, do you have any recent experience of trying to order tickets from this reseller?

Hi Baptista

A BBC journalist James Pearce (@pearcesport on Twitter) contacted the Portuguese reseller this week and was told that individual ticket sales are now available - that anyone interested should get session codes from Locog website and send an email to callcenter@cosmos-viagens.pt with your details and what u want (see http://twitter.com/#!/Pearcesport/status/95827267820851200) - as a result several ppl contacted the reseller with various requests (both popular and low demand tickets) but not a single person received a 'yes, we have' from them. As you are in that country, do you have any recent experience of trying to order tickets from this reseller?

Hi! "anyone interested should get session codes from Locog website and send an email to callcenter@cosmos-viagens.pt" Really?! I contacted two times (email) and no answer!! Than i used the telephone (callcenter) and the answer was: send us an email wiht the session codes that you want and i said: i already did that! After they confirmed my emails. They will check if there are tickets available. But first you have to pay even you have no tickets later...a litle weird.... :mellow: I did that 3 weeks ago and i don´t have any conclusive answer!! I will complain to the Portuguese Olympic Committee!!

Hi! "anyone interested should get session codes from Locog website and send an email to callcenter@cosmos-viagens.pt" Really?! I contacted two times (email) and no answer!! Than i used the telephone (callcenter) and the answer was: send us an email wiht the session codes that you want and i said: i already did that! After they confirmed my emails. They will check if there are tickets available. But first you have to pay even you have no tickets later...a litle weird.... :mellow: I did that 3 weeks ago and i don´t have any conclusive answer!! I will complain to the Portuguese Olympic Committee!!

Yes, that was also the same experience of the British 'ticket hunters' who contacted Viagens Cosmos. Even though the BBC journalist had been told there were tickets available, everybody who then contacted Viagens Cosmos received a reply 'we don't have that one available'. So it is interesting to hear that even the locals in Portugal are experiencing the same frustration!