London 2012 Olympics Tickets

I know the Olympic football tournament is a bit underwhelming. But I must say that I'm truly surprised that in a football-mad country like the UK, and with the Olympics coming to so many different cities for a once-in-a-lifetime event, that ticket sales have been so poor. Olympic soccer, as we would call it over here, sold pretty well in the U.S. for both the L.A. and Atlanta games, since so many people saw it as an easy and not-too-expensive opportunity to experience at least a tiny bit of the Olympics first-hand in their own hometown.

Any insight as to what accounts for the difficulty they seem to be having in selling tickets for these games?

It really is no surprise at all. Firstly the UK has no Olympic football history due to historically not competing, and as such the tournament has always been dismissed as second rate - football fans don't get particularly excited about the Olympics featuring football and neither do Olympic fans.

The large stadia was a stupid idea too - three 75,000+ seater stadia would be a tough sell even for a World Cup, which will hold the smaller games to smaller venues - while of course womens football has very little spectator appeal in this country. They won't release the figures of course but I suspect the mens tickets have been far easier to sell than the womens.

Also with the games being in London people paying hundreds of pounds for tickets want to be part of the event - not seeing a group football game they don't care about hundreds of miles away from the event. This idea of spreading football out is frankly stupid - and I suspect had they used smaller London grounds (there are plenty of 30-40,000+ stadia) they'd have found it much easier to sell tickets, both from Brits wanting to be part of the games experience in London and also incoming tourists who are surely more likely to try and see a game featuring their country in London than travel away from the city a few hundred miles for a day.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Note, if any of you do speak to the press about CoSport, could you try and mention two things

1) First, that CoSport's latest problems aren't isolated incidents. They have always provide terrible service. They simply don't have the means to manage the ticket sales they've been given responsible to manage.

2) Their "illegal" market-ups.. I'm stunned at the number of press reports that have talked about CoSport breaking the rules by marking up sponsor tickets by 20%. They aren't marking them up 20%. They are marking them up by 40%+, just like CoSport has marked up all tickets more than 20%. They claim to be allowed to use whatever exchange rate they want, which renders the 20% restriction totally meaningless.

Today I received the last tickets for the Olympics. :D (from ATP with spectator guides!)

Still waiting on some tickets for the Paralympic Games. (I hope they send those after the Olympics)

C categorie tickets available.....final price....2012 pounds!!!!!! C´mon LOCOG!!!!!!! What a great work!!!!!! Thank you very much!!!!!!

Same story here. I'm using a checker and still haven't managed to get tickets for the opening ceremony. (ZO001 C/D)

Lots of other tickets available now. Various sports en prices.

Same story here. I'm using a checker and still haven't managed to get tickets for the opening ceremony. (ZO001 C/D)

Lots of other tickets available now. Various sports en prices.

Just happened again.... few minutes ago....:(

I'm also searching for 1 ticket. Someone posted this on twitter a few minutes ago.

Michael Watters @JuanMikeWatters @amycutting1 @volshy Phoned LOCOG half hour ago. They said they did have ZO001 cat C on Monday and they sold in 15 mins. Ghosts since.

Not sure if it's true.

I'm also searching for 1 ticket. Someone posted this on twitter a few minutes ago.

Not sure if it's true.

I don´t know....next time (if there is a next time) i will buy 2 tickets (300 pounds).....and i give one to you!!! :)

I don´t know....next time (if there is a next time) i will buy 2 tickets (300 pounds).....and i give one to you!!! :)

Yeah, maybe it's a good idea to join forces. I'm (almost) all day online.

Well I got bored of waiting to get ticket holders off the 2012 website so Ive made my own. Bought official Lanyards, found plastic ticket holders then branded the holder up myself. Blank one side and my Olympic schedule on the other.

They should get me to sell them in the shop me thinks : )

photourw.jpg

Yeah, maybe it's a good idea to join forces. I'm (almost) all day online.

I was all day online..............and nothing.....maybe in 2016....

For now i will enjoy the tennis, the judo, the water polo, the Orbit.... :P and London! Earls Court here i go!!

Well I got bored of waiting to get ticket holders off the 2012 wesite so Ive made my own. Bought official Lanyards, found plastic ticket holders then branded the holder up myself. Blank one side and my Olympic schedule on the other.

They should get me to sell them in the shop me thinks : )

photourw.jpg

Well done!!! Looks great!!

Story in today's New York Times about the CoSport ticketing mess:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/sports/olympics/some-customers-have-yet-to-receive-olympics-tickets.html?_r=1

There's also a somewhat more strongly worded blog post by the same writer in the Times online:

http://london2012.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/olympic-ticket-broker-angers-fans/

The blog post allows comments, and I urge anyone and everyone to post one about the disaster that is CoSport.

After writing to several officials of the USOC though, all I received was a form letter, obviously written by CoSport, which told me just how much most of their customers love them, and linked to a puffball interview that was clearly full of falsehoods and misleading information. The USOC should be ashamed of themselves for selling out to these fraudsters, and then allowing them to insult contributors and paying customers' intelligence in the organization's name.

Baptista - I thought I was unlucky with tickets but you must be worse. I picked up men's road race, women's synchronised diving and some basketball tickets today.

Well, i was lucky after all....i got judo (with the portuguese Telma Monteiro and Joao Pina :wub: ), tennis and water polo tickets....and i will enjoy the Olympic spirit for the first time in my life. I´m really happy for that! Of course, the OC is a kind of "gold medal and world record" for the olympic fans....i missed out this time but i will try again in 2016....

And i want to say thank you to the Games Bids Forum....i have learned a lot with some of you!

Picked up my tickets today at Stratford. Was very very quiet... lots of manned windows at the booth so no wait time.

It took a few minutes to process since I had 5 sets to collect and the volunteer had to sort out the Travelcards and spectator guides for each sport. Overall very smooth!

Can you actually but tickets at the Stratford box office? I'm arriving in London on Saturday and have a couple of holes to fill.

Actually No, it is only pick up... but probably at Games Time (as at any ticket booth) for the remaining tickets...

Archived