London 2012 Olympics Tickets

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole mess is complicated by LOCOG's very stringent rules re resale. I understand what they want to establish but there's no accounting for human nature or what really happens if unavoidable personal circumstances change. Their seemingly onerous conditions make things more complicated. And because big buckaroos are concerned, certainly people who have had last minute chnage of plans, whether intentional or not, would want their money back & some. With the scale that it's done...and that tickets are to be availalbe in OVER 200 markets, makes the whole ticketing thing a NIGHTMARE!!

Better get ready for Sochi, what with their Cyrillic alphabet..you can be sure that WILL BE a TOTAL fiasco!!

If not Tickemaster, who? This is the crap we get dealing with Cosport every single time. I'd *love* USOC to dump Cosport for Ticketmaster.

While ticketing is always a problem, LOCOG is making things worse by (1) being horrible about commicating things. It's inexcusable. (2) By greatly overreaching with their resale rules. Combine (1) and (2) and you get the ridiculous situatin where LOCOG is simulatiously tryng to tell people that it's OK to sell their tickets to frieds and family and also that doing so is illegal with severe penalties. Booo.

Cosport puts the tickets in your basket and gives you a countdown timer for 45 mins in which the tickets are yours and nobody else's. Only if you don't pay in that time do they go back on the market.

For selling small batches of tickets it's a much better system than Ticketmaster and LOCOG's resale system.

Cosport puts the tickets in your basket and gives you a countdown timer for 45 mins in which the tickets are yours and nobody else's. Only if you don't pay in that time do they go back on the market.

For selling small batches of tickets it's a much better system than Ticketmaster and LOCOG's resale system.

In theory that's true. CoSport, however, cannot handle large numbers of simultaneous sessions. Page load times are often 4 or 5 minutes for announced first come, first served events. It takes about 6 mouse clicks to buy one ticket, so that 45 minutes disappears in a hurry when everyone is in there franticly looking for tickets. It's something I've experienced multiple times, so I guess I've come to expect their dismal performance. Honestly, I can't imagine what it would be like if CoSport handled an American Olympics. Ticketmaster, on the other hand, is usually a reliable service. I'm kind of surprised that they totally screwed up the resale. It's entirely possible that their system could have been designed to meet the expected demand, but that whoever was responsible for the service level agreement totally underestimated the demand.

Can't tell you how sickening it feels to have a basket full of tickets, 30 minutes left on Cosport's 45 minute timer, and not be able to check out due to their Compaq 386-powered server being unable to process orders.

I have had a similar experience using Cosport. Every time I use that site now I tell myself that I cannot guarantee I have the ticket until payment has been processed and I get a transaction receipt.

Also got an email from CoSport today saying there were more tickets that had been released in the inventory. What they forgot to mention that most of these new released tickets had been available for a couple of weeks now. They really should inform people that new tickets will be available before they release them on their website. That seems like the fairest thing to do.

Update on Facebook, still no change:

"Afternoon London 2012 fans! As you know, last week some people were experiencing issues in buying our resale tickets. The ticketing system is suspended until all the issues are resolved - this means no tickets are currently on sale. Ticketmaster are looking into it and we'll keep you posted..."

What they forgot to mention that most of these new released tickets had been available for a couple of weeks now. They really should inform people that new tickets will be available before they release them on their website. That seems like the fairest thing to do.

Well, yeah, that would be more fair. But if they did that, I wouldn't have all my tickets for London. The system crashed like crazy for the announced ticket sales. But since I knew enough from prior years (and reading here) I checked back and got everything I wanted.

Have logged on to my account but my confirmed tickets are all saying "Currently not eligible for resale" so i am guessing they are still having some issues with the resale.

I would have thought that a smart way to do would have people who want to resell tickets do it now until 6 feb then put them all back onsale after they have checked all tickets and made sure they havent stuffed up like they did with syncro swimming.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know when we'll get the final versions of the seating charts? If I remember correctly, the ones for Beijing came out about this time (maybe it was a bit closer to March?). Surely they'd be out before April when tickets are printed, yeah?

London 2012 will not be producing seating charts for these games because the seating will change between events depending on depand (or more like how many AA or A seats they sell through the Prestige Tickets Hospitality program)

London 2012 will not be producing seating charts for these games because the seating will change between events depending on depand (or more like how many AA or A seats they sell through the Prestige Tickets Hospitality program)

That make so sense. It would be impossible for them to print tickets that way, not to mention the Prestige Ticket sale ended a while back. They already know how many AA and A seats there were going to sell; they've known that since day 1. Besides, if that were the case, why would they have bothered to create the draft seating charts that have been circulating?

That make so sense. It would be impossible for them to print tickets that way, not to mention the Prestige Ticket sale ended a while back. They already know how many AA and A seats there were going to sell; they've known that since day 1. Besides, if that were the case, why would they have bothered to create the draft seating charts that have been circulating?

I agree it makes no sense but Prestige Ticketing has not stopped its still available and changes all the time.

Each Athletics event, each Swimming event, each event the seating is different. You may sit in an AA seat one night and a few nights later its a B seat.

These are the Games of London 2012 and this is why no one will see a seating chart because there is nothing available officially from London 2012.

Each Athletics event, each Swimming event, each event the seating is different. You may sit in an AA seat one night and a few nights later its a B seat.

These are the Games of London 2012 and this is why no one will see a seating chart because there is nothing available officially from London 2012.

I get what you're saying, but that still doesn't provide an answer as to why there wouldn't be a seating chart. The seating charts for Beijing and the finals ones for Vancouver didn't reference ticketing blocks, so I don't understand why LOCOG wouldn't just release a plan of the seats. It's pretty much a required part of the spectator's guide.

Where are you getting your information?

They will have a spectator guide (or a guide for each sport which is a bit different) and it may contain generic info on the seating, but it is most certainly different for each event. I have sources of National Olympic Committees that are provided this information

They will have a spectator guide (or a guide for each sport which is a bit different) and it may contain generic info on the seating, but it is most certainly different for each event. I have sources of National Olympic Committees that are provided this information

Things must be different for the NOCs than for Sponsors as far as seating and dates.

>> Each Athletics event, each Swimming event, each event the seating is different. You may sit in an AA seat one night and a few nights later its a B seat.

One of the many goofy things LOCOG is doing that makes no sense. An A seat should be an A seat period. Rowing is a good example of the oddness. The first two medal days they are selling A-E tickets. The last two they are selling AA-D tickets. But the prices seem to be the same. The first two days have A for 150, B for 95, etc. The next two days the AA's are 150, the A's are 95, etc. Gotta believe it's the exact same seats for the same price. But today you are in B, tomorrow you are in A. Why?

>> Each Athletics event, each Swimming event, each event the seating is different. You may sit in an AA seat one night and a few nights later its a B seat.

One of the many goofy things LOCOG is doing that makes no sense. An A seat should be an A seat period. Rowing is a good example of the oddness. The first two medal days they are selling A-E tickets. The last two they are selling AA-D tickets. But the prices seem to be the same. The first two days have A for 150, B for 95, etc. The next two days the AA's are 150, the A's are 95, etc. Gotta believe it's the exact same seats for the same price. But today you are in B, tomorrow you are in A. Why?

My point exactly, hence why we have not and will not see detailed seating plans

Why? Because this is LOCOG and its their way of filling the gaps in their budget. What I do know from first hand experience is that when there was a Government change in the UK, part of the budget was adjusted by 160Mil pounds, so they changed the seating and increased allocations in the AA and A and Prestige Seating, and that reduced it by 100Mil pounds - simple process and no one cares really.

I am sure there are legitimate, INTERNAL reasons for those variances that are NOT relevenat to outsiders. It's just an internal coding system...and probably has to do with sponsors' share of tickets and LOCOG's pool of discretionary comp seats--which seats they can give away...fulfilling IOC-written sponsor obligations.

Archived