London 2012 Olympics Tickets

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The media went on about the main tickets sales being a shambles but it wasn't, it was very well run indeed but demand outstripped supply.

But everything I've read on twitter this morning suggests this resale is a genuine **** up.

In this case, the systems aren't updating as they should and for some reason, tickets aren't "yours" when you click on them; despite there only being a small number on sale. Who advised LOCOG that using the same system for resales as they did for bulk ticket sales was a good idea? It's clearly not working from a usability and customer friendliness point of view. As soon as tickets are clicked on they should be reserved as "yours" for 20 minutes or so and then, if you don't pay, they should go back on sale. That's how Cosport worked when I bought 2012 tickets throughg them, that's how a lot of ticket sites work. Why they couldn't implement this for the resale I don't know.

The media went on about the main tickets sales being a shambles but it wasn't, it was very well run indeed but demand outstripped supply.

But everything I've read on twitter this morning suggests this resale is a genuine **** up.

In this case, the systems aren't updating as they should and for some reason, tickets aren't "yours" when you click on them; despite there only being a small number on sale. Who advised LOCOG that using the same system for resales as they did for bulk ticket sales was a good idea? It's clearly not working from a usability and customer friendliness point of view. As soon as tickets are clicked on they should be reserved as "yours" for 20 minutes or so and then, if you don't pay, they should go back on sale. That's how Cosport worked when I bought 2012 tickets throughg them, that's how a lot of ticket sites work. Why they couldn't implement this for the resale I don't know.

Apparently they actually have a problem, as it is not possible to access anymore to the already confirmed tickets through the previous sales...

They should have work with the Vanoc's ticket agent. The resale system worked very well... I used it to sale and buy at last minute without any problem.

is it worth trying I wonder ? What I don't understand is why they haven't stopped all sales ie shut it down. Because thats what the press are reporting they have done

I think they blocked the sales, but for a strange reason, tickets were still listed....

I was thinking people had till the beginning of february to propose their tickets to resale and that after this date, they would have been proposed to buyers....

Let's see how it move in the coming hours & days ....

Update from the LOCOG Ticket website

Ticket resale information

Please be aware that if you want to buy tickets and have added them to your shopping list, these tickets will not be reserved for you until you proceed to checkout.

!!!!!!!!!

I notice availability keeps changing but still can't buy anything.

"Sorry, we cannot process your request

Please try again later."

Updates are underway... here is what i got when accessing my account...

We are currently updating the system. You have until 3 February 2012 to resell any unwanted tickets, please come back later. Thank you for your patience.

Im a tad bemussed.

Im reading lots of comments on various websites along the lines of 'what a mess up', and 'they couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery' and 'Britain cant organise anything' etc. But surely this is a Ticketmaster issue. Ticketmaster have messed up, LOCOG aint selling the tickets. They messed up picking Ticketmaster to sell the tickets on their behalf but other than that, surely its Ticketmasters reputation on the line here.

Im a tad bemussed.

Im reading lots of comments on various websites along the lines of 'what a mess up', and 'they couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery' and 'Britain cant organise anything' etc. But surely this is a Ticketmaster issue. Ticketmaster have messed up, LOCOG aint selling the tickets. They messed up picking Ticketmaster to sell the tickets on their behalf but other than that, surely its Ticketmasters reputation on the line here.

Disagree onus is on LOCOG to ensure tickermaster are delivering. I work in IT, I can tell its not been thought through at all or tested properly again

Ticketmaster messed up but I agree that LOCOG are to blame. It is their job to make sure that whatever provider they use can cope with the demand and has the systems and processes in place. It is the reputation of London 2012 that is at stake. I agree with Rob that this does seem to be the first genuine cock up by LOCOG. Let's hope they have it sorted within the next couple of days as I have a couple of tickets I want to re-sell myself.

Ticketmaster messed up but I agree that LOCOG are to blame. It is their job to make sure that whatever provider they use can cope with the demand and has the systems and processes in place. It is the reputation of London 2012 that is at stake. I agree with Rob that this does seem to be the first genuine cock up by LOCOG. Let's hope they have it sorted within the next couple of days as I have a couple of tickets I want to re-sell myself.

Do us a favour, put them on and tell me if they go, because I'm not sure what's going on with this system at the moment. I suspect what is happening is people are putting the tickets onsale and they are manually updating when they sell - hence why its constantly showing more tickets than available . I suspect its not designed as a real time sales system.

This evening ATR's article

More Ticket Sale Problems for LOCOG

It's happened again – complications are surfacing with selling tickets to the London Olympics.

The "greatest tickets on earth" are proving quite tough to get. (Getty Images)

On Friday, LOCOG released tickets for resale that the original purchasers decided they did not want.

With demand for tickets “far exceeding supply", however, LOCOG said its site had to be updated and refreshed.

"Huge demand for tkts, far exceeding supply. People are only putting up e.g. pairs or fours of tkts to sell at once," the organizing committee tweeted.

"Lots of tkts sold already today, the system is working. But, there's been feedback of issues with selling tkts."

"We're updating & refreshing the system now – while this is happening customers won't be able to upload tkts for resale."

Following the initial ticket sale process with people entering a lottery for tickets, the website for ticket sales had technical problems.

Earlier in the week, LOCOG said tickets to synchronized swimming sessions had been oversold by thousands.

From the homepage of the LOCOG ticketing website

Important information

We have temporarily suspended the ticketing website while Ticketmaster investigates ticket resale issues that some customers have been experiencing. This website will reopen once Ticketmaster has resolved these issues. You will also be able to purchase Olympic Football and Paralympic tickets from this time.

Apart from today's (surely avoidable) system failures all the complaints about the ticketing system have been because there have been too few tickets and too many people wanting them. Even today there were "tens of thousands" of people on the site after a handful of resales! And double the number of synchro swimming tickets were sold, as we know!

Your solution would make things worse!! The Olympics are actually too SMALL!!! :lol:

Does anyone know if you can sell on tickets to other people outside of the official channels. In other words, will they be checking proof of the name on the ticket outside each venue?

No you cannot... From the BBC: "Police have warned it is a criminal offence to resell London 2012 tickets on the open market without the permission of Locog."

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16430850

The Olympics are too big!! They should only feature Opening & Closing, Volleyball, Rowing and Gymnastics -- the only 3 I'd watch. Then they wouldn't have ANY of these ticketing problems!!

Fool... u need to get rid of Volleyball, Rowing, and Gymnastics too... just have a 13 day opening ceremony and an 8-hour closing ceremony...

Oh... and the 13-day Opening ceremony never ends... it goes 24-hours a day for 13 days straight... and the parade of nations is for 10 of those days, the athletes never get to stop marching and standing around... the competition is to see which countries athletes are still standing and alive at the end... I have faith Team USA can outlast every other nation and can cannibalize all those puny Chinese athletes... although team USA will just be hungry again in an hour... :D

Today's LOCOG message :

We have temporarily suspended the ticketing website while Ticketmaster investigates ticket resale issues that some customers have been experiencing. This website will reopen once Ticketmaster has resolved these issues

Yes, that is PR speak for "Oops, we F'ed up and should have picked a different company, but we didn't and ticket master sucks, so don't blame us, blame then and we'll let y'all know when we figure out some way to fix this Sh*tstorm we got ourselves into..."

Oh... and the 13-day Opening ceremony never ends... it goes 24-hours a day for 13 days straight... and the parade of nations is for 10 of those days, the athletes never get to stop marching and standing around... the competition is to see which countries athletes are still standing and alive at the end... I have faith Team USA can outlast every other nation and can cannibalize all those puny Chinese athletes... although team USA will just be hungry again in an hour... :D

Fine by me -- except the next book would be 800 pages long...not even possible in an ebook version (which BTW, I am sort of mapping out the present eBook version and I'm afraid it will be a leaner, less graphic version due to the limitations of eBook technology.) :(

Does anyone know if you can sell on tickets to other people outside of the official channels. In other words, will they be checking proof of the name on the ticket outside each venue?

No you cannot... From the BBC: "Police have warned it is a criminal offence to resell London 2012 tickets on the open market without the permission of Locog."

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16430850

Lee, if you sell them at face value to friends or family or someone on here throgh PMs you trust, I'm sure that'd be fine.

If you put them on Ebay or something it wouldn't be.

That law is really in place to stop profiteering.

As long as you make sure the ticket ends up in the hands of someone you trust, you'll be fine. But if your ticket does somehow find it's way into the hands of a tout and they're caught it's you that's liable. Basically, sell outside the official resale site if you like, but tread carefully.

RE: checks at venues this is what LOCOG have said.

"The person who buys those tickets retains the responsibility of making sure they do not find themselves - those tickets - as part of illegal activity," said Mr Deighton.

"If in the very unlikely circumstances there's a problem with the ticket we would expect the ticket holder to be able to get hold of the person whose name is on the ticket to resolve it."

Yes, that is PR speak for "Oops, we F'ed up and should have picked a different company, but we didn't and ticket master sucks, so don't blame us, blame then and we'll let y'all know when we figure out some way to fix this Sh*tstorm we got ourselves into..."

I don't think they fucked up in choosing ticketmaster at all (not that I'm any fan of that company and their "pay to print your own tickets" scam). The main ticket sales - when demand was HUGE - went through with virtually no technical problems, which is pretty well unheard of. It was a very smooth process, as was buying extra tickets and Paralympic tickets.

This is the first major system failure, and to me it seems to have come because of lack of forethought or testing - they've basically rolled out the bulk ticket system for resales which was never going to work, and the system wasn't updating as quickly as it should have done. How much of that is down to LOCOG and how much down to ticketmaster we'll probably never know. :rolleyes:

Archived