London 2012 Olympics Tickets

No way will that work. They need to completely rethink that. I've bought tickets for four of us, including some events I'm not interested in which I won't be attending. Are they saying they wouldn't let my Dad and brother in if my name was printed on the tickets and I wasn't with them? <_<

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the tickets will have the name of the person who purchased them printed on them. They say that you (the purchaser) must be present to enter the venue with anyone else whose ticket you purchased. I understand that this was done to prevent fraud and ticket theft (also why they chose not to go with electronic ticketing this year), but I think this is a games-time PR disaster waiting to happen.

See http://twitter.com/#!/SkyNewsOlympic for further news on this. 'Ticket purchaser needs to be available' - this could be on the end of a phone, but not in person. Checking every ticket vs holder's ID on entry is nonsensical when queues to get in will already be quite long. I really can't see how checks will happen on the day of the event. You are right, it would be a PR disaster. Also, tickets bought from ATR (i.e. other resellers apart from LOCOG) will not have name of purchaser shown. I admire LOCOG wanting to prevent ticket touting, but I can't see that this is any more than a scare campaign, which won't be put into practice at the event.

No way will that work. They need to completely rethink that. I've bought tickets for four of us, including some events I'm not interested in which I won't be attending. Are they saying they wouldn't let my Dad and brother in if my name was printed on the tickets and I wasn't with them? <_<

A LOCOG rep says that they'll be "sensible" about enforcing the policy . . . but who knows what that means. I could see a couple of things happening . . . let's say your dad and brother show up without you, their ticket gets scanned and they go in fine, no issue. However, if there was some sort of issue with their ticket and you, as the purchaser, aren't there . . . well, who knows . . . Maybe it wouldn't be such an issue because you're family, and you probably share a last name, but at this point, it's anyone's guess.

I think the biggest issue with this is that it puts the decision into the hands of the person scanning the ticket. At the past two Games I've attended, that has been some random (though always polite and well meaning) volunteer. Who are they to determine to is and is not able to enter?

I think once more people learn about the policy, LOCOG might reconsider it. There is still plenty of time to redesign to policy before tickets are printed in March/April.

Three tweets from BBC's James Pearce:

Olympic ticket news. French have sold vast amount of tickets today, but blocked all UK IP addresses from sale. That's against EU law

I've spoken to French and reported them to Locog. Log in from UK + you get this http://twitpic.com/6ve0dz From France you get list of tickets

Once I spoke to French their site magically started working + if you go to www.eventeam2012.fr you might find tickets but most already sold

http://twitter.com/#!/Pearcesport

They should have all their tickets taken off them, even ones they have sold. Then give put them back on the Locog site for people to puchase that are playing by the rules. Im sure they will do nothing though, you don't get anywhere by playing fair these days

Looks like the tickets will have the name of the person who purchased them printed on them. They say that you (the purchaser) must be present to enter the venue with anyone else whose ticket you purchased. I understand that this was done to prevent fraud and ticket theft (also why they chose not to go with electronic ticketing this year), but I think this is a games-time PR disaster waiting to happen.

See http://twitter.com/#!/SkyNewsOlympic for further news on this. 'Ticket purchaser needs to be available' - this could be on the end of a phone, but not in person. Checking every ticket vs holder's ID on entry is nonsensical when queues to get in will already be quite long. I really can't see how checks will happen on the day of the event. You are right, it would be a PR disaster. Also, tickets bought from ATR (i.e. other resellers apart from LOCOG) will not have name of purchaser shown. I admire LOCOG wanting to prevent ticket touting, but I can't see that this is any more than a scare campaign, which won't be put into practice at the event.

I second what OlympicNut says. I think this is public posturing. Every host has a policy that it's illegal to transfer or resell tickets, but that doesn't ever seem to affect the huge secondary ticket market. I guarantee that quite a few people filling the seats for the swimming or gymnastics finals next year will not have acquired them through a sanctioned process.

They have done a great job of keeping them off ebay

I've had to remove quite a few of them. Most were in the twenty to thirty dollar range, but there were two tickets, for the Equestrian events, that were five bucks each! It's a crying shame that the resell value is so low. My sick sense tells me that ebay is no better than Craig's List for events of this magnitude. This is not 1947, this is 2011, and places like ebay are a hindrance to spectators that really have an interest in being there in person, such as family and friends.

Let me point you to Angie's List. Yes, the name is a joke, but the people here are always interested in having a goodtime whether they understand what is going on in front of their faces or not. So do it for yourself, whether someone tells you to or not.

Seb Coe says olympic ticket buyers dont have to worry if giving tickets to friends to use, only "highly suspicious'' tickets checked.

http://twitter.com/#!/jacquelinmagnay

I've had to remove quite a few of them. Most were in the twenty to thirty dollar range, but there were two tickets, for the Equestrian events, that were five bucks each! It's a crying shame that the resell value is so low. My sick sense tells me that ebay is no better than Craig's List for events of this magnitude. This is not 1947, this is 2011, and places like ebay are a hindrance to spectators that really have an interest in being there in person, such as family and friends.

There's also eBid. Not quite on the stature of eBay, but coming up in the ranks. I don't know its tickets resale options since I am not looking to buy any 2012 tix at the moment so am not trawling for them.

London 2012 Paralympics: nine out of every ten applicants to receive tickets for Games

Around 90 per cent of people who applied for tickets for the London 2012 Paralympics are set to be told they have been successful, organisers have said.

Applications were received from 116,000 people for more than 1.1million tickets. The ballots for oversubscribed sessions have now been completed and nine out of every 10 applicants are likely to receive tickets. Payments will be taken from bank accounts between Oct 18 and 31.

London 2012 chief executive Paul Deighton said: "We were thrilled by the response to Paralympic Games tickets and since the application process closed our teams have been working hard to run the required ballots, ready to begin the process of taking payments and allocating tickets.

"We are on track to complete payments by the end of the month ready to inform people what tickets they have by November 18."

Ballots took place across 117 price categories in 80 sessions and organisers anticipate that more than 100,000 people will be allocated around 800,000 tickets.

Including overseas sales and sponsors' tickets, more than 1million tickets have now been sold.

That number compares favourably with Wimbledon tennis, where 494,000 tickets were sold, and 398,000 for the England v India cricket Test series.

Remaining Paralympic Games tickets will go back on sale on a first come, first served basis later this year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/paralympic-sport/8826800/London-2012-Paralympics-nine-out-of-every-ten-applicants-to-receive-tickets-for-Games.html

Theres a raft of Olympic tickets gone live on the Sportsworld site today. Seems like a lot of Sailing, and a few others, all the big ones have gone obviously

Tickets for judo final (Men -73kg & Women -57kg SF/BF/Final/Victory Ceremony ) available! ;) and no tickets for the Opening Ceremony... :(:(:(:(:(:(

My money is in the process of going out for Paralympic tickets. Ive got about 75% of what I asked for so Im pretty happy. Ive had a go at working it out and my guess is both ceremonies then 1 of these. Either a session of Track, swimming or Athletics (100m final).

Thanks for the reminder Davey. Just checked my bank and the maximum amount I was on the hook for is being taken out!! B)

So I will get to go into the stadium to see some athletics, wheelchair basketball final at the O2 should be great, my Mum will get to see some of the Equestrian, and my Dad will get into the velodrome as he wanted to!!

Excellent!

Looks like some moneys come out of my bank account too :) seems I may have a pair of Opening and Closing tickets for the Paralympics!

Hey great news! You've had a battle on getting tickets it looks like from your posts ;) checked my bank account and again and looks like I've got a pair of £50 opening ceremony and a pair of £20.12 closings for the paras. Just needs to hear from my games maker interview now :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sportsworld will have a selection of tickets available tommorrow from 10 am

The tickets available will include sessions of Archery, Badminton, Boxing, Fencing, Gymnastics Trampoline, Handball, Hockey, Judo, Rowing, Sailing, Taekwondo, Table Tennis, Volleyball and Weightlifting.

Good luck everyone

Archived