London 2012 Olympics Tickets

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People are never happy....

Actually with no session at Round 1 and 6 sessions in Round 2, you're luckier than me that after applying for 20 sessions, I only got 3 ! And when i will apply in some weeks in my Round 2, the choice should be reduced !

So the process was fair for the Round 1, through a ballot, not so fair actually as 2 different rounds... And that was not announced before by LOCOG. They apparently change their mind to try to satisfy a maximum of people !

So great, i know i will have other opportunity to get the tickets i wanted or tickets to attend a maximum of different events to live a real olympic experience !

Regarding, the million tickets, i am repeating myself, they will not only come from seats contingency related to overlay, but also from Thomas Cook, some sponsors allotment adjustement and from some of the NOCs !

Well - I think I said that I was happy with how it worked out for me - but that I wasn't happy with the process overall and I don't think it is fair on poeople who didn't get what they really wanted in the first round and were then excluded from the second round. From your post is looks like you aren't happy with the process either. If they had managed to spread out tickets from the first round more effectively then the 2nd and subsequent rounds could have been better for everyone.

I still do not buy that over a million tickets are coming from venue finalisation and from other NOC's - especially given the demand that is being seen by people trying to get tickets from the other NOC's whether in Europe or via the large UK expat communities. As for Thomas Cook - I doubt very much they will give many tickets back early enough to be included in a later round of ticket sales - especially for any events that have any demand. Looking at their website they seem to be selling them in batches so that the popular events are teamed up with the less popular.

Theres some Badminton, Boxing & Volleyball tickets appeared on the French re-seller website if anyone fancies some

Also apparently to come, Basketball, Canoe-Kayak, Wrestling, Archery & Water-Polo

Also apparently to come, Basketball, Canoe-Kayak, Wrestling, Archery & Water-Polo

Nope, they've been sold. There was single ticket availability when I looked but now they are none. This occured before with Eventeam, they are slow to update their drop-downs.

so after no tickets in the first round (despite applying for quite a lot of sessions and some random events) we applied in the 2nd round and my partner and I got all 6 events that we put in for. That means Athletics finals and 2 heats, Mens Volleyball bronze medal match, Mens Beach volleyball quarter finals and a weightlifting final.

I'm def happy with the spread of events - but still disappointed with the overall ticketing process. Why didn't they share the tickets out more in the first round? It definitely favoured those people who could risk dropping a lot of money on tickets.

I have to say that I'm also disappointed with LOCOG. Their annoucement of a further 1 million+ tickets being available next year makes me feel that they are not being very honest. I understand that not all venues are finalised and that some seats will become available - but one million!! If there are roughly 650 sessions then that is an average of over 1500 seats becoming 'available' at each session. Yes, this is possible in the stadium - but what about the smaller venues like the velodrome or the volleyball?

The 1 million is not about the seats. Those are tickets returning from the client groups such as media, broadcasters, sponsors and VIP's. They don't need all tickets and the remaining 1 million are going to be sold. Of course there are also tickets for seats which they have extra.

I agree with you that it was better if they had a first round with a ballot and a second round first come first served with half or 25% of all tickets for all events like they did in other Olympics.

The 1 million is not about the seats. Those are tickets returning from the client groups such as media, broadcasters, sponsors and VIP's. They don't need all tickets and the remaining 1 million are going to be sold. Of course there are also tickets for seats which they have extra.

I agree with you that it was better if they had a first round with a ballot and a second round first come first served with half or 25% of all tickets for all events like they did in other Olympics.

So the other 1 million tickets are from soonsors and VIP's who don't need the tickets. That includes 8000 tickets for the mens 100m finals - probably the most difficult tickets to get for a sports event at the games?

8000 tickets for the mens final - link to Daily Telegraph article

Like I said in a follow up post - I don't doubt that some tickets allocated to these groups will be returned. I do doubt that there are over a million being returned and that they will be returned early enough to allow another phase of ticketing at the start of 2012.

I'm enjoying watching CoSport's US public sale right now. I just have to be wondering what people thought when they logged in and saw nothing left but a few Taekwondo and Weightlifting tickets, and pretty much the whole schedule of Boxing (a sport that has lost much of its luster in the US in recent Olympics). I've been sitting here watching the Boxing tickets slowly disappear. Of course, CoSport hangs on to the best tickets for their ludicrously priced, and short, tours.

In the presale on Friday for those who previously purchased tickets I was able to get the Mens Handball finals and some Wrestling, Basketball, and Taekwondo to fill in some holes. Since we're going on a tour that concentrates on Track & Field I don't have to worry about those tickets, and on the first phase ordering I was able to pick off the mens Archery finals, womens Badminton finals, and the BMX finals for my family. So we're doing OK, but I'd still like to get some Gymnastics, Tennis, and Diving, of course. Pretty much like everyone else. I would also like to get some Volleyball, which has been somewhat hard to come by here in the U.S. I was quite surprised to see that it is still available in the UK sale.

Given the huge demand for tickets I'm wondering if the folks running things in London don't wish they'd used some higher capacity venues like Atlanta, and to a lesser extent Sydney and Beijing, did.

45 minutes into the public sale and there's nothing but 3 early round Boxing sessions and a single $272 Weightlifting ticket left.

I'm enjoying watching CoSport's US public sale right now. I just have to be wondering what people thought when they logged in and saw nothing left but a few Taekwondo and Weightlifting tickets, and pretty much the whole schedule of Boxing (a sport that has lost much of its luster in the US in recent Olympics). I've been sitting here watching the Boxing tickets slowly disappear. Of course, CoSport hangs on to the best tickets for their ludicrously priced, and short, tours.

In the presale on Friday for those who previously purchased tickets I was able to get the Mens Handball finals and some Wrestling, Basketball, and Taekwondo to fill in some holes. Since we're going on a tour that concentrates on Track & Field I don't have to worry about those tickets, and on the first phase ordering I was able to pick off the mens Archery finals, womens Badminton finals, and the BMX finals for my family. So we're doing OK, but I'd still like to get some Gymnastics, Tennis, and Diving, of course. Pretty much like everyone else. I would also like to get some Volleyball, which has been somewhat hard to come by here in the U.S. I was quite surprised to see that it is still available in the UK sale.

Given the huge demand for tickets I'm wondering if the folks running things in London don't wish they'd used some higher capacity venues like Atlanta, and to a lesser extent Sydney and Beijing, did.

45 minutes into the public sale and there's nothing but 3 early round Boxing sessions and a single $272 Weightlifting ticket left.

I thought they might be adding inventory, but it wasn't to be. I went a lunch meeting, came back at 1:10. All gone, even the boxing. Is your athletics tour through Track & Field News?

So the other 1 million tickets are from soonsors and VIP's who don't need the tickets. That includes 8000 tickets for the mens 100m finals - probably the most difficult tickets to get for a sports event at the games?

8000 tickets for the mens final - link to Daily Telegraph article

Like I said in a follow up post - I don't doubt that some tickets allocated to these groups will be returned. I do doubt that there are over a million being returned and that they will be returned early enough to allow another phase of ticketing at the start of 2012.

As mem has stated before the majority of the contingency tickets are ones held back until final venue capacity and overlay is known. Or about 10% of all tickets in every venue (hence the 8,000 for the men's 100m final). And remember tickets for the Olympic family must be paid for as well, so if a sponsor is allocated 10,000 tickets but only pays for 4,000 of them, there is 6,000 tickets that will be returned. Also any NOC allocations that are not sold leading up to the games will be returned to LOCOG.

Also remember too that if you don't mind a little obstructed view they will have those tickets available by phone only within the last two or three weeks before the games. Also the on site ticket offices will also have tickets available in the run-up that will not be advertised.

Been following this topic for a while and wanted to share!

I only received Category D seats for Men's Diving finals on 8/11 through my CoSport initial ticket request. Through the June 24 presale I was able to get Category A tickets to the first Men's Volleyball game on 8/10. Today's public live sale at first seemed like a joke but more tickets were released around 3PM EST today when I checked. I was able to get Category B tickets to the first Men's Basketball game on 8/10 (which will probably conflict with the volleyball tickets :( ). I would love to see the USA Men's Basketball team play so I'm crossing my fingers they'd be in that earlier game. They played in the second semifinals in 2008 Beijing but played first in 2004 Athens so who knows what can happen. I was very very very surprised to see one Category AA ticket available for the Opening Ceremony on CoSport today for $3700! That one disappeared fast!

I might try to get one of CoSport's packages to get tickets to the Gold Medal Men's Basketball game but they do cost a lot and they throw in other events that I could care less for, such as Taekwondo or Hockey. Football is also something I would really love to get but CoSport seems to have most of those tickets locked up in packages as well :(

I do like the idea that somebody mentioned earlier about perhaps selling/trading tickets to fellow gamesbids.com members! That would make buying a package much more feasible for me.

As mem has stated before the majority of the contingency tickets are ones held back until final venue capacity and overlay is known. Or about 10% of all tickets in every venue (hence the 8,000 for the men's 100m final). And remember tickets for the Olympic family must be paid for as well, so if a sponsor is allocated 10,000 tickets but only pays for 4,000 of them, there is 6,000 tickets that will be returned. Also any NOC allocations that are not sold leading up to the games will be returned to LOCOG.

Also remember too that if you don't mind a little obstructed view they will have those tickets available by phone only within the last two or three weeks before the games. Also the on site ticket offices will also have tickets available in the run-up that will not be advertised.

And reading the article again it states clearly that the 8000 tickets are from the generally available allocation of about 30000. That leaves the majority of other tickets for NOC's, sponsors etc and I still stand by my point that tickets for this event (and many other popular events) will not be returned in such numbers and in time for another round of ticket sales 7 months before the games begin.

I'm sure we could go around the loop several times - and I don't think LOCOG will ever release absolute numbers that show the situation one way or the other. :blink:

Will be interesting to see what is available in the CoSport european sale next week. I'm thinking it will probably be a similar tale

And reading the article again it states clearly that the 8000 tickets are from the generally available allocation of about 30000. That leaves the majority of other tickets for NOC's, sponsors etc and I still stand by my point that tickets for this event (and many other popular events) will not be returned in such numbers and in time for another round of ticket sales 7 months before the games begin.

I'm sure we could go around the loop several times - and I don't think LOCOG will ever release absolute numbers that show the situation one way or the other. :blink:

Will be interesting to see what is available in the CoSport european sale next week. I'm thinking it will probably be a similar tale

Beijing had there last sales in March and April 2008 (or only a mere 5 months before the games). Vancouver had a final round of sales in Demcember 2009. So its utter nonsense to say London cannot put together a final sales phase 7 months beforehand when every other host in recent memory has done so. And the deadlines for Olympic Family sales are well before the final round of sales, hence the final round of sales.

Beijing had there last sales in March and April 2008 (or only a mere 5 months before the games). Vancouver had a final round of sales in Demcember 2009. So its utter nonsense to say London cannot put together a final sales phase 7 months beforehand when every other host in recent memory has done so. And the deadlines for Olympic Family sales are well before the final round of sales, hence the final round of sales.

I totally agree that it is utter nonsense to suggest that LOCOG would be incapable of orgainsing another round of ticket sales. I have at no point suggested that they would be incapable of such a thing.

My point has always been where the tickets are coming from and that I do not believe that the tickets in the next round sales - which is expected to contain in the region of a million+ tickets - are comprised only of returns from NOC's, re-sellers and venue seating finalisation. The article I linked to supports that.

Hi, I have stumbled across this forum while trying to find some information about getting Olympic tickets. My girlfriend and I did badly in the UK draw, only got one Basketball session after applying for 36 sessions between us. As she missed out completely we were able to enter the 2nd chance first come first serve and managed to get one Athletics session, was luckly, put down 3 but only got one. So now we have one session on the 6th Morning (athletics) and Basketball on the 8th evening.

Wanted to try and plug that gap with something so have just started getting into this Overseas seller stuff, a bit late unfortuantly. Anyway there is the background now here is the question. This Cosport sale that starts shortly. I have registered on the site as an EU citizen and selected UK as my country. I was wondering will this then allow me to buy from any of the european union countries allocations? What about Norway, they are not in the EU, will I be able to buy their tickets? Or will these tickets be held seperately while the EU countries allocations are pooled? I have a friend in Norway so I was wondering if it was worth me asking her if I could register an account in her name and get access to tickets that way. Any ideas?

Exclusive: Britain should be proud of London 2012 ticket programme says Olympic expert

London 2012 should be congratulated for the success of its ticketing programme, not criticised because it is oversubscribed, the former marketing director of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has claimed.

Michael Payne, the man credited with the multi-billion Olympic sponsorship programme and who worked for the IOC for 21 years, believes the huge criticism that London 2012 chairman Sebastian Coe and his team have come in for over its ticketing strategy has been unfair and unjust and that ti should be celebrated as the most successful in the 115-year history of the Games.

"I have been intimately involved with the ticketing programmes of some 14 Olympic Summer and Winter Games," Payne told insidethegames here.

"As a former director of the International Olympic Committee, I helped oversee the design and development of these Olympic ticket programmes.

"The international sports community and international media looks on at the London Olympic ticketing programme, with utter amazement and total disbelief.

"They have never before seen an Olympic Games sell out 23 out of 25 sports [not including football], never mind achieve this, with one year to go to the Games.

"This does not even normally happen by the time of the Closing Ceremony."

The lottery system employed by London 2012, which saw 700,000 people win tickets, has been harshly criticised but Payne (pictured) claimed that there has never been a fairer method of distributing tickets to the public.

"They never before seen such an open and democratic ticket distribution process implemented in the host country, with new initiatives targeted at special markets, like the youth sector that I am certain will become a model for all future Olympic Games," he said.

"They can not understand how the British media and others might have interpreted the London ticket programme as a problem and failure."

Payne, who is English but now lives in Monaco having spent many years in Switzerland, claims that the fact London 2012 is so oversubscribed is a testament to the IOC's decision to award the Games to Britain.

"Never before in the 115 year history of the Olympic Games has the world ever seen such a successful Olympic ticket programme - validating I believe the IOC's original decision to bring the 2012 Olympics to London to ensure full stadia packed with knowledgeable, passionate fans," said Payne, who is now a special advisor to Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone.

"Normally Organising Committees are criticised for empty stadia and building too large venues that then become white elephants.

"Let's be fair, and recognise the tremendous and unprecedented success of the London 2012 ticketing programme – something Britain should be justly proud of."

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2012/13462-exclusive-britain-should-be-proud-of-london-2012-ticket-programme-says-ex-top-ioc-director

Little more info from Mr James Pearce's twitter feed:

London 2012 say 750,000 tickets sold in second phase to 150,000 people. 1.5 million football, 40,000 volleyball, 8000 wrestling unsold

So more than a million people entitled to buy second chance #olympictickets didn't bother to do so. Football is going to be a hard sell

http://twitter.com/#!/Pearcesport

Interesting stuff Rob and certainly puts some of the hysteria into its proper perspective.

Wasn't too upset with what I ended up with - archery, football (at Hampden Park), hockey and table tennis. Disappointed I didn't get weightlifting or boxing, but all my London sessions are at times that mean commuting from my base in East Anglia is not a completely ridiculous idea.

Archived