London 2012 Olympics Tickets

It all sounds good to me. It appears I will Have a one in ten chance of an opening ceremony ticket and get at least 50% of my modest first application, I will apply for more tickets later this year. Now we know what has sold out and what hasn’t, and what it will be easiest to get tickets for and what to possibly leave until the day in 2012.it will make planning for the Olympics and leaving room for spontaneity easier.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the BBC's brief Q&A:

"There is even a small chance that some events might end up being box office on the day, but there is no confirmation of that."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/gordonfarquhar/2011/04/2012_tickets_qa.html

So I wouldn't rely too much on being able to get tickets on the day; though it does sound like there's a good chance you could get some cheaper tickets later this year or early next year during second-sales or via the resale website that's being set up.

Another ticket stat I heard on the news last night: Sydney holds the record in selling out 57% of events on the first ballot. So we're a little behind them at 50% at the moment, but still in a good place.

Does anyone know how many percent of London 2012 tickets were allocated to the United States? Does a US Resident usually stand a higher chance of getting a ticket then say a resident of a small nation?

Does anyone know how many percent of London 2012 tickets were allocated to the United States? Does a US Resident usually stand a higher chance of getting a ticket then say a resident of a small nation?

No. If anything, less because there is MORE interest in the U.S., 2nd only to the Host country...esp. in this case when the ex-mother country is playing host. Try your connections with a smaller nation.

No. If anything, less because there is MORE interest in the U.S., 2nd only to the Host country...esp. in this case when the ex-mother country is playing host. Try your connections with a smaller nation.

Thanks for your reply baron. I always throught Co-Sport would be given prority. Many smaller nations dont even have a professional agent to handle ticket requests!

On a side note you should read Ric Birch's blasting open letter to the Delhi 2010 CWG comittee. Apperently he has up till now not been paid for Spectack's services for the OC and CC!

Baron you are not really correct. The US gets thousands of tickets, some countries and regions (for instance almost all of Central American shares the same allocation) get a couple dozen.

Cosport also has the ability to shift their national allocations between countries based on request rates. So if one sport is more highly requested in Australia but not requested for at all in Canada they can move tickets to accomodate this.

Baron you are not really correct. The US gets thousands of tickets, some countries and regions (for instance almost all of Central American shares the same allocation) get a couple dozen.

Cosport also has the ability to shift their national allocations between countries based on request rates. So if one sport is more highly requested in Australia but not requested for at all in Canada they can move tickets to accomodate this.

Same old, same old. Yes, the US gets thousands of tix but it also has THOUSANDS of requests...so the proportion is the same.

... what me wonders is will be announced which sessions are sold out on June 24th? I mean when you hear the news about the end of the first round of the ticket application it seems that there are only few sessions not sold out - when the next round starts wouldn't it be stupid not to know which sessions are still available resp. I wonder how it works with the team sports - I can't believe that many have already applied for the team sport session, due the qualifications haven't finished so far... Do the qualified nations get a contigent for the team sports?

... what me wonders is will be announced which sessions are sold out on June 24th? I mean when you hear the news about the end of the first round of the ticket application it seems that there are only few sessions not sold out - when the next round starts wouldn't it be stupid not to know which sessions are still available resp. I wonder how it works with the team sports - I can't believe that many have already applied for the team sport session, due the qualifications haven't finished so far... Do the qualified nations get a contigent for the team sports?

i agree with you. another question: the sold-out sign includes all sessions of track cycling, rhythmic gymnastics, triathlon, modern pentathlon, equestrian and the opening and closing ceremonies. The swimming sessions and tennis will also be ballotted.

So, if you applied for judo or water polo(for instance) you will get a ticket ?!

Nah, its not only a random ballot, it is also a blind random ballot. You are selected based on your ID number that you got when placing your order and the lottery is done electronically.

The judo ou water polo sessions will be ballotted ?!

The judo ou water polo sessions will be ballotted ?!

Any finals and playoffs most likely. London did something strange with the Taekwondo/Judo/Wrestling/Fencing etc tickets. At past Olympics 1 ticket was need to go from the preliminaries right through to the final. Whereas for London, there is the prelims and a couple hours later the finals. So pretty much every final is likely to go to lottery, whereas the prelims not so much. London double dipping to squeeze more money out of Olympic fans.

And even than, for water polo especially where the capacity is only 4000ish it is very possible that many sessions could go to a draw.

Any finals and playoffs most likely. London did something strange with the Taekwondo/Judo/Wrestling/Fencing etc tickets. At past Olympics 1 ticket was need to go from the preliminaries right through to the final. Whereas for London, there is the prelims and a couple hours later the finals. So pretty much every final is likely to go to lottery, whereas the prelims not so much. London double dipping to squeeze more money out of Olympic fans.

And even than, for water polo especially where the capacity is only 4000ish it is very possible that many sessions could go to a draw.

Hummm..ok..thank you Faster! :)

I think they should say the sessions that will be allocated via a ballot process...

Hummm..ok..thank you Faster! :)

I think they should say the sessions that will be allocated via a ballot process...

??? How could Locog could have announce in advance which session should have been allocated via a ballot !!!

It depends if the demand would be higher than the ticket available.

So, in absolute, any session could go through ballot....

For the next phase, Locog will announce in advance for sure which session are sold out (as tickets would not be anymore available). Not sure that this phase would go through a possible ballot. Usually the second phase is on a first arrived, first served basis !

Whereas for London, there is the prelims and a couple hours later the finals. So pretty much every final is likely to go to lottery, whereas the prelims not so much. London double dipping to squeeze more money out of Olympic fans.

mhh - that is annoying - I selected tickets for the prelims for Wrestling two tickets and on the same day in the afternoon for the finals in weightlifting - I hope I get both of these tickets since I want to go there with a friend...

London did something strange with the Taekwondo/Judo/Wrestling/Fencing etc tickets. At past Olympics 1 ticket was need to go from the preliminaries right through to the final. Whereas for London, there is the prelims and a couple hours later the finals.

<_<

That's a big mistake to say so !!!

From my personnal experience (attended Judo & Fencing at both 2004 and 2008 Olympics) and confirmed by datas from the 2000, 2004 and 2008 olympics (and i did not check before !), there is always 2 sessions for those sports : Prelims & Finals...

So nothing new in London, that's just the Olympics' habits ! (and also a practical timing for the athletes... they deserve time and rest between Prelims and Finals... and during those several hours you could not have all your spectators staying to wait at the venue !)

For the next phase, Locog will announce in advance for sure which session are sold out (as tickets would not be anymore available). Not sure that this phase would go through a possible ballot. Usually the second phase is on a first arrived, first served basis !

I think that is fair (I mean that they say, which sessions are sold out) - and it is interesting that the second phase is "First arrived - first served"!

What I do not really understand yet, how it works with the team sports - I am interested to watch the German male hockey team - someone told me that the German NOC will receive a kind of contigent of tickets, if the team is able to qualify - when starts the sale of these contigents?

I think that is fair (I mean that they say, which sessions are sold out) - and it is interesting that the second phase is "First arrived - first served"!

What I do not really understand yet, how it works with the team sports - I am interested to watch the German male hockey team - someone told me that the German NOC will receive a kind of contigent of tickets, if the team is able to qualify - when starts the sale of these contigents?

As an EU citizen, CAF, you have 2 way to get tickets for the team sports !

- Through LOCOG : you could already have bought some tickets in first phase, and will be able to do it during second phase, but without knowing at that time which team is playing when ! After teams have been qualified and match schedule released you will be still able to buy tickets on the website

- Through your German NOC (or any other EU NOC !) : they could already have proposed some tix for team sport, but usualy they are waiting the match schedules, as YES at that time they will receive special quotas for their own team matches !!!

Will that apply to the British NOC as well in terms of team sport tickets?

If i am not wrong there is no official British ATR, and the main way to get tickets for British citizen is to go through LOCOG (or they could ask the other official NOC's ATR from EU.

So team sports for the British teams would be offer through the official website. But, I assume that the quota related to the British teams would be released only at the same time as the related tournaments' schedules.

By the way, the BOA has discussed special tickets allotments, but for its only own needs (officials, atheltes and their family, BOA's sponsors...)

Archived