London 2012 Olympics Tickets

but I've heard nothing but indignation that this should be allowed to be the case.

I think there would be similar indignation at every market where there's open competition.

I don't know how MasterCard (and World Cup Organizing Committees) do it with the World Cup where they are the Exclusive Credit Card sponsor.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Application done...

I applied for the following sports:

Opening Ceremony

Closing Ceremony

Athletics

Swimming

Gymnastics-Artistic

Equestrian-Eventing (Cross Country)

Triathlon

Cycling Track

Tennis

Canoe Slalom

Rowing

Canoeing

Weightlifting

Wrestling - greek/roman

Nice selection - Good Luck!

Actually, good luck to everyone who's put their applications in. Wish I could've, but domestic concerns (paying off the mortgage) had to take precedence. But no doubt I'll share London vicariously through GamesBids.

And I should be in a great financial position to make Rio!

It can't; I know that. Was being facetious...as always. ;)

Though one does wonder if it could be a successful business model for the IOC? Sponsporship + government subsidies + event revenue seems to work for other companies.

I wish they'd stop advertising its the last day for tickets. LOL. Also does anyone know how they will be taking money. Will it be in a block or will they be doing a sport a day or something, meaning money will trickle out of accounts

Fabian - leer mal Deine Mailbox

Erledigt!

of course - they offer tickets - page 36 of their catalogue

I don't have their printed catalogue -- I looked it up on their website, and there they write:

Wie immer finden beide Zeremonien größtes Zuschauerinteresse und die Nachfrage nach diesen Karten übersteigt die Kartenzuteilung durch LOCOG um ein Vielfaches. (As always, both ceremonies find huge public interest and the demand for those tickets surpasses the ticket allocation by LOCOG many times over.)

Source: Dertour

To me, that sounded like an explanation why they don't offer ceremonial tickets on their website. And they really don't.

Additionally, they offer only a few tickets for a few of the athletics sessions (that would have been our alternate plan if we couldn't apply for opening ceremony tickets: travel to London one week later and then watch the track and field events) and only for too high prices.

I wish they could have offered the tickets for Berlin 2009 World Championships prices. But even more so, I'm glad that we were in Berlin in that highly entertaining session on the last Saturday of competition, especially with the "stadium roar" during Verena Sailer's leg in the women's 4x100 relay... I guess it couldn't have gotten any better than this anyway in London. ;)

I hope you enjoy watching it on the tele anyway. And keep posting here, I enjoy your posts.

That's very kind, thank you. A nice consolation for staying at home. ;)

I wish they'd stop advertising its the last day for tickets. LOL. Also does anyone know how they will be taking money. Will it be in a block or will they be doing a sport a day or something, meaning money will trickle out of accounts

It will probably happen as a lump. Once your account is settled you will be charged.

Erledigt!

... that is strange - I wanted to send you a PM, but it still "says" that you can't receive any new messages....

When I finished my application it was said that I will be informed on June 24th, which tickets were allocated to me resp if any tickets were allocated to me - I haven't found where it was said in what time period they will charge the tickets, but I think that this will said in the confirmation (I expect a week)...

Martin, the money will leave your account between 10th May and the 10th June. Whether that be a lump or in stages. Then we hear what tickets we have got on the 24th June for some weird reason.

mhh - that is really weird, how can they charge something when you don't know the exact reason?

... what me really astonish is that normally the credit card organisation sends me every month a kind of invoice with all of the transfers of a the past month - the total amount will be charged to my bank account...

In the confirmation e-mail LOCOG says that you should take care of that the bank account is higher than the maximum amount of your application in the time May 10th until June 10th - but when you rely on the above sentence there must be two steps - first I would receive a letter from visa with the transfers from May 10th until May 25th or 26th with a first amount - and then I would receive a letter from visa with the tranfser from May 25th/26th until June 10th - doesn't that means that the bookings are split in two "lump sums"?

Another thing is that normally you have a dispo credit on your bank account therefore you can balance discrepancies more easily - furthermore I can't imagine that somebody presumes that he/she gets every ticket for which you applied to

I just recognise that I am gettin more and more nervous, for which ticket I will be allocated - I hope more than 5%...

... that is strange - I wanted to send you a PM, but it still "says" that you can't receive any new messages....

Yeah, sorry about that -- Baron was faster than you and sent me a new message before you could. And thus my inbox was full again, since I had two older messages still stored there and I can only receive 3 as a basic member... But now you should be able to message me again. As long as no one else gets the idea of writing me, that is. ;)

wait until the people recognise that they have to "guarantee" that the full maximum amount of the applied tickets have to be on the account from May 10th until June 10th, but get a confirmation not before June 24th - that is absolutely weird...

But I am sure that LOCOG will just charge your VISA with the amount of the tickets which are allocated to you - otherwise they have to send the money back - that is too much work...

Archived