8.8 Quake in Japan, hit by 13ft Tsunami, additional Tsunami warnings

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I just asked in the Japan 2020 thread in the future Olympic bid section.

And they probably just estimate nowadays with old earthquakes, judging by the damage in the area & in the soil around the 'epicenter'.

Well one of the worst earthquakes in NA history happened at an epicenter in New Madrid, Missouri.

still shocked with these images, had visited Sendai and other locations at Tohoku area when I lived in Japan some years ago...

a tragedy...

Saturday, March 12, 2011

217 confirmed dead, over 1,000 feared dead in megaquake

Kyodo News

The death toll from Friday's catastrophic earthquake in Japan reached 217 Saturday in nine prefectures, including Tokyo, with the toll likely to rise to well over 1,000 as some areas suffered devastating damage, according to the National Police Agency and the Defense Ministry.

As of 8 a.m., 681 people were left unaccounted for following the 2:46 p.m. quake with a magnitude of 8.8, the strongest ever recorded in Japan.

Around 200 to 300 bodies were found in Sendai's Wakabayashi Ward, the Miyagi prefectural police said. Officials of the ward facing the Pacific Ocean said almost all of the approximately 1,200 households within a district were affected by tsunami waves.

Around 1,800 houses in Fukushima Prefecture were found to have been destroyed, according to the NPA.

As rescue officials have not been able to access the tsunami-hit areas as tsunami warnings are still in effect, the overall picture of the destruction remains unclear.

A municipal official of the town of Futaba, Fukushima, said, "More than 90 percent of the houses in three coastal communities have been washed away by tsunami. Looking from the fourth floor of the town hall, I see no houses standing."

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano on Saturday expressed the government's determination to bring relief the disaster-hit areas, telling a meeting of the emergency disaster headquarters Saturday, "This is the largest earthquake since the Meiji Era, and it is believed that more than 1,000 people have lost their lives."

In Fukushima Prefecture, meanwhile, the local government, acting on orders from Prime Minister Naoto Kan, instructed about 3,000 residents living within a 10-kilometer radius of Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant to evacuate.

The utility firm said Saturday morning that radiation could already have been released at the plant, while the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said it detected radiation at eight times the usual level at the monitoring post of the No. 1 plant.

It also said the cooling system failed at three reactors of the No. 2 nuclear power plant.

The company, which has already scrambled to deal with radiation leaks at its Fukushima No. 1 plant, notified the industry ministry that the failsafe system at the No. 2 plant stopped functioning as the temperature of coolant water has exceeded 100 C.

The agency said it issued an unprecedented order for the electricity firm to open a valve at the troubled No. 1 nuclear power plant to release pressure following the powerful earthquake.

Prime Minister Naoto Kan left to inspect quake-hit coastal areas in Fukushima and Miyagi prefectures by helicopter on Saturday morning and to visit the nuclear plant, where a reactor could not be cooled down.

In the quake-hit areas, around 5.57 million households had lost power as of Saturday morning.

On Saturday morning, meanwhile, several strong quakes, one with a magnitude of 6.7 at 3:59 a.m., rocked an inland area on the Sea of Japan coast northwest of Tokyo, hitting Nagano and Niigata prefectures.

Some 130 households in the village of Sakae, Nagano, are believed to be isolated due to an avalanche caused by the quake, according to local authorities.

Saturday's first predawn quake, which originated at a depth of 10 km in Niigata's Chuetsu region, measured upper-6 on the Japanese seismic intensity scale in Nagano Prefecture, the Japan Meteorological Agency said.

The agency said it couldn't rule out the possibility that the latest quake was triggered by Friday's quake.

In Friday's quake, people were stuck in at least 163 elevators in Tokyo and nine prefectures, and 88 of them have been rescued so far, the Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism Ministry said.

Four trains running in a coastal area of Miyagi and Iwate prefectures remained unaccounted for after tsunami triggered by Friday's earthquake hit the area, the train operator said Saturday.

It is not known how many people were aboard the trains that were running on East Japan Railway Co.'s Ofunato, Senseki and Kesennuma lines on the Pacific coast when the magnitude 8.8 quake hit northern Japan.

The company said earlier that another train on the Senseki Line was found derailed near Nobiru Station after the quake. On Saturday, the Miyagi prefectural police rescued nine passengers from the train by helicopter

JR East said, meanwhile, it expects to continue the suspension of bullet train services on the Tohoku Shinkansen Line through Saturday.

The quake measured the highest level of 7 on the Japanese seismic intensity scale in northern Miyagi, upper-6 in the rest of Miyagi and part of Fukushima, Ibaraki and Tochigi prefectures, lower-6 in part of Iwate, Fukushima, Gunma, Saitama and Chiba prefectures, and upper-5 in a wider area including central Tokyo, and part of Kanagawa and Yamanashi prefectures.

The Tokyo police said at least 116,000 people in the capital were unable to return home Friday evening due to the suspension of train operations and traffic jams.

:( Well the Tsunami arrived in NZ almost unnoticable...Still the destruction of the Tsunami seems to have distracted all the News services to the fact there is a considerable amount of earthquake damage...This will really hurt the global economy.

Japan authorities: TEPCO plant fuel rods may have melted

March 12 | Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:38am EST

March 12 (Reuters) - Japanese nuclear authorities said that there was a high possibility that nuclear fuel rods at a reactor at Tokyo Electric Power's Daiichi plant may be melting or have melted, Jiji news agency reported.

Experts have said that if the fuel rods have been damaged, it means that it could develop into a breach of the nuclear reactor vessel and the question then becomes one of how strong the containment structure around the vessel is and whether it has been undermined by the earthquake.

Venting air from reactor container suspended

The operation at Fukushima No.1 plant to lower pressure of the containment vessel has been suspended due to high radiation levels at the site.

Pressure of the reactor container is rising as its cooling system became dysfunctional due to a blackout and power generator breakdown. This has raised concern about possible damage to the container.

The power station's operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company, began to vent air from the reactor container at 9AM on Saturday.

Under the plan, 2 valves close to the container would be opened manually, but radiation level on the second valve was found higher than expected.

The operation has been suspended because of the possibility that workers could be exposed to radiation. The utility is reportedly studying how to open the valve by replacing workers at a short interval, or using electric remote control.

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency says if radioactive substance is released in the air, safety of residents evacuated beyond a 10-kilometer radius from the No.1 reactor will be ensured.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 13:09 +0900 (JST)

Outer structure of building that houses reactor at Fukushima plant appears to have blown off - NHK

Several people appear to be injured at Fukushima nuclear plant - NHK

Tokyo fire department sending special nuclear rescue team to Fukushima - TV

But I wonder if Charlie Sheen can be used as a harbinger for disasters like these? I mean he lives in LA and his madness became more acute as the disaster neared?? :wacko:

Charlie Sheen is the reason why the price of gas went up. Oh wait no, hold on a sec, Mel Gibson's battery charge was the real cause of the rising price of fuel. :rolleyes:

Some hours ago, the tsunami hit Chile and were probably one of the biggest waves in the Pacific (of course, not counting the Japanese). The worst part of it is that they hit mainly the same places destroyed by the tsunami of 2010.

zdfj3.jpg

The news from Japan are terrible... 1,200 deaths approx. :(

:( Well the Tsunami arrived in NZ almost unnoticable...Still the destruction of the Tsunami seems to have distracted all the News services to the fact there is a considerable amount of earthquake damage...

It's hardly surprising. Japan is built to cope with earthquakes better than any other country in the world. But I heard on the news the Tsunami engulfed 600km of coast 10 miles in. I very much doubt they've even begun to assess full scale of the Tsunami damage. :(

I just heard from my brother. I don't know if he's crazy or what. He and his wife are going to Tokyo and HKG on March 27. He said this was planned long ago and apparentely in the Tokyo area, there is NOT much damage. Well, I also told him that the World Figure Skating Champs are a go in Tokyo for 3/21...so I guess Tokyo must really be OK.

115f8f6f-29e7-4632-abd5-aeefcd3566f9_500.jpg

The damaged roof of reactor number No. 1 at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant after an explosion that blew off the upper part of the structure is seen in this handout photo released by Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) in Fukushima Prefecture, northeastern Japan, March 12, 2011. REUTERS/TEPCO

(Reuters) - The nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan arrived in Japan at 1 p.m. EST on Saturday to assist relief efforts after Japan's massive earthquake and tsunami.

It is part of a large mobilization of American naval forces in the Pacific to aid Japan, with more ships due to arrive in the coming days.

Here are the latest details, as provided by the U.S. military. All times are local to Japan.

* The USS Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group, which includes the cruiser USS Chancellorsville, the destroyer USS Preble and the combat support ship USNS Bridge, is en route to the east coast of Japan's main island of Honshu and expected to arrive on Sunday.

* The aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan is already off the coast of Japan and prepared to serve as an afloat platform for refueling Japan Self Defense Force (JSDF) and other helicopters involved in rescue and recovery efforts ashore. It will also help transport JSDF troops to affected areas. The USS Ronald Reagan has a 3,200 Navy crew as well as 2,480 aviators and air wing personnel and approximately 85 planes.

* The destroyers USS McCampbell and USS Curtis Wilbur are already at sea east of Japan's Boso Peninsula preparing to move into position off Miyagi Prefecture to assist Japanese authorities with at-sea search and rescue and recovery operations. An additional destroyer, USS Mustin, will depart Yokosuka, Japan on Sunday.

* USS Tortuga, an amphibious dock landing ship, departed Sasebo, Japan on March 11 and is anchored off Pohang, South Korea to load two heavy-lift MH-53 helicopters. The ship will proceed to the east coast of Honshu and is expected to arrive around Monday.

* USS Essex, a large amphibious assault ship, had just arrived in Malaysia when the tsunami hit. It got underway on Saturday en route to the east coast of Honshu and is expected to arrive around March 17.

* USS Blue Ridge, the U.S. Seventh Fleet command ship which the Navy describes as "the most capable command ship ever built," had just arrived in Singapore when the tsunami hit. It immediately changed its focus to loading humanitarian assistance/disaster relief equipment. It departed Singapore on Saturday en route to the east coast of Honshu and is expected to arrive around March 18.

* USS Harpers Ferry, a dock landing ship based in Sasebo, and the USS Germantown, an amphibious dock landing ship home-ported in San Diego, California, have been redirected to Japan from locations in Southeast Asia. Both were described as several days away.

The Japanese foreign ministry listed the 49 countries extending offers of relief, in no particular order: Australia, Taiwan, the United States, South Korea, China, Mexico, Thailand, New Zealand, Israel, Singapore, Indonesia, Azerbaijan, India, Russia, Turkey, Germany, France, Belgium, Ukraine, Slovakia, United Arab Emirates, Switzerland, Hungary, Poland, Jordan, the United Kingdom, Chile, Spain, Greece, Hong Kong, Pakistan, Denmark, Serbia, Uruguay, Mongolia, Ecuador, Iran, Kyrgyz Republic, Malaysia, Argentine, Philippines, Canada, Italy, Sweden, Kosovo, Iceland, Norway, Romania, and Slovenia.

International relief extended to devastated Japan

I have a trip to Tokyo in July and I plan to still go.

I hope you will be able to go...

The impact of the two natural catastrophies was immense - the impact of the nuclear catastrophe is still under way resp. unclear and I "believe" that the Japanese government is not able to tell the whole truth right now - since a mass panic around the nuclear power plants would be another catastrophe - but I fear that Japan will face huge troubles...

In appr. three weeks is the 25th anniversary of "Chernobyl" and I remember the impact of the "incident" in whole Europe quite well...

the German "foreign office" recommends to do voyages to Tokyo when they are absolutely necessary only...

I FINALLY FOUND OUT why my bro & wife are flying on March 27. At first, I couldn't find out WHY they had to fly at this time. Well, him being an aviation buff, it's to be on the maiden flight of Singapore Airlines' new A380 plane from LAX to TOKYO! That's why!! :rolleyes:

I FINALLY FOUND OUT why my bro & wife are flying on March 27. At first, I couldn't find out WHY they had to fly at this time. Well, him being an aviation buff, it's to be on the maiden flight of Singapore Airlines' new A380 plane from LAX to TOKYO! That's why!! :rolleyes:

Is your brother aware that Lufthansa will start a daily A380 service FRA to SFO on May 10, 2011?

Lufthansa - A380 flights - FRA-SFO

Archived