Alpine slope

Google traduction isn't good to speak french ;)

I understand but I speak only on the name, I know Jungbong is the Alpine venue but this venue don't exist actually

You don't like my French? I'm proud to say I didn't use any online translation, and the only word I had to look up was "ski jumping." My French what we call "high-school French" in Ontario mdr. :P I think it's actually supposed to be "pour la derniere FOIS", not "derniere temps"? Anyway, it doesn't matter.

Yeah, I agree with you that they should have named Alpensia something else, especially since it isn't even the site of alpine skiing. I wish they would have chose a Korean name, but they probably chose the name "Alpensia" for people like you.

And Jungbong, once they build it, will look amazing. It's one of the things I'm excited about most by the Pyeongchang bid.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know Jungbong is the Alpine venue but this venue don't exist actually

This is the exciting part for me, you see different people can see things differently. Some hate change, some embrace change. Some don't want development, some want to grow and learn.

I love that the downhill plan for the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games, it is NEW and YOUNG and FRESH! But I love the future and adventure! I also love France and the Alps and would be very interested to see how those games play out, we know France can host wonderful alpine events! But I am drawn to the NEW too much, and I'm so curious to see the games in a new place and especially to see a host as enthusiastic as Korea put on the show of their lives!

Good luck to everyone.

Pyeongchang downhill venue is the primeval forest. There are many rare plants and trees are living. Under current law, development is illegal. This is not the Olympic spirit.

Please consider Pyeongchang's environment, financial issue... and athletes...

is not good for Korea ... really ...

In Korea, the mountain conditions itself are bad. For ski resorts in Korea, the highest mountains are located about 1500m above sea level. (The highest normal mountain is 1950m).

As mentioned several times, The mountains in Korea, can't create downhill course. Pyeongchang-Jungbong is ONLY possible. But, There is the primeval forest. Under current law, any development is illegal. Moreover, Pyeongchang-Jungbong is just 1433m above sea level. Korea's market is not likely to grow as well as adverse conditions.

It's means Korea can't host Winter Olympics.

Around Pyeongchang: Mt. Gariwang-Jungbong forest reserve with less than 1500m.

20110606104011_B_M0006_1.jpg

201012138743h_2010121327621.jpg

IE001275448_MT.jpgIE001275449_MT.jpgIE001275451_MT.jpg

Pyeongchang downhill venue is surrounded by beautiful primitive forest. There are many rare plants and trees are living. Under current law, development is being endorsed by the Government and citizens. This new horizon is the Olympic spirit.

Please consider Pyeongchang's environment, financial issue... and athletes... they have developed an amazing and feasible plan to take the Olympic movement to another level in Asia!

is not good just for Korea ... really it's good for the entire region!

In Korea, the mountain conditions itself are bad news for traditional winter nations fearing the loss of their 2018 bids. For ski resorts in Korea, the highest mountains are located about 1500m above sea level. (The highest normal mountain is 1950m), in this unique region this makes for incredibly consistent winter conditions and great snow quality.

As mentioned several times, The mountains in Korea, can't create downhill course but people can!. Pyeongchang-Jungbong is not the ONLY possible but has been chosen for it's beauty, challenge and close proximity to the games clusters.. Moreover, Pyeongchang-Jungbong is just 1433m above sea level. Korea's market is not likely to grow slowely, it is expected to BOOM. as well as overcome any adverse conditions.

It's means Korea can't host anything but INCREDIBLE Winter Olympics.

Around Pyeongchang: Mt. Gariwang-Jungbong forest reserve with less than 1500m is going to be one of the most exciting new venues in the most youthful games for years to come!

I wish something would happen to advance the conversation forward, I am interested in knowing more than spam.

but a small troll is hovering over a crummy computer somewhere, and is trying to spam us to death!:lol:

I won't hold it against any bid and I wish everyone good luck!

.now...I have to go swimming.:D

Pyeongchang downhill venue is the primeval forest. There are many rare plants and trees are living. Under current law, development is illegal. This is not the Olympic spirit.

In Korea, the mountain conditions itself are bad. For ski resorts in Korea, the highest mountains are located about 1500m above sea level. (The highest normal mountain is 1950m).

As mentioned several times, The mountains in Korea, can't create downhill course. Pyeongchang-Jungbong is ONLY possible. But, There is the primeval forest. Under current law, any development is illegal. Moreover, Pyeongchang-Jungbong is just 1433m above sea level. Korea's market is not likely to grow as well as adverse conditions.

Around Pyeongchang: Mt. Gariwang-Jungbong forest reserve with less than 1500m.

20110606104011_B_M0006_1.jpg

201012138743h_2010121327621.jpg

IE001275448_MT.jpgIE001275449_MT.jpgIE001275451_MT.jpg

Garbage posting as usual!

In Korea, the mountain conditions itself are bad news for traditional winter nations fearing the loss of their 2018 bids. For ski resorts in Korea, the highest mountains are located about 1500m above sea level. (The highest normal mountain is 1950m), in this unique region this makes for incredibly consistent winter conditions and great snow quality.

Liar

False, the winter condition aren't good in Korea to practice winter activity, only few cm of snow each winter. Moreover snow isn't good quality because is artificial snow... Korea purpose the worst snow condition since the beginning of WOG.

About mountains, PC don't have mountains but hills

PC hills (1470m)

Yongpyong_15.jpg

Winter_2014_Candidate_City-_PyeongChang_Dragon_Valley_ski_resort.jpg

Chamonix real mountains (4810m)

142_03122008_163316_Chamonix2.jpg

les-houches_3_l1.jpg

You can't compare hills with mountains

Could you define 'hill' and 'mountain?' I can guarantee you that you will not find a unified definition that differentiates between hills and mountains. Anyway, Tulsa, your hill vs mountain really is a non-issue, as ICO evaluation commission has already said 'YES' to PC's ability to host, which also means they were happy with the venues (or venues to be). There is no doubt, as mentioned earlier, that France has beautiful mountains, but the mountains in Korea are adequate in IOC's eyes for the games. Besides, it would be great to hold the winter olympics in new territories rather than the same places all the time! Perhaps we're all brain-washed over the past decades of European and North American winter olympics to think that winter sports venues must resemble that of the Alps?

Jungbong, once constructed, won't have to take a backseat to any past Olympic mountain. While it won't be as big as Chamonix, it will be the inspiration for the future youth of Asia. It, along with Japan's slopes, will do for Asians what Chamonix, St. Moritz and Garmisch once did for Europeans: set the foundation for a winter tradition in skiing.

Jungbong, once constructed, won't have to take a backseat to any past Olympic mountain. While it won't be as big as Chamonix, it will be the inspiration for the future youth of Asia. It, along with Japan's slopes, will do for Asians what Chamonix, St. Moritz and Garmisch once did for Europeans: set the foundation for a winter tradition in skiing.

There is a problem with Korea... You don't have the potential to develop your ski resort like in Alps or Japan or China... Because you don't have lot of ski resorts (only 18) and you don't have lot of hills area where to build ski resorts

Your ski resorts are too small and snow condition are too bad too have long season, and your ski resorts don't have the standing necessary to purpose an offer to international customers. Korea won't be the inspiration for Asia because except Korean nobody could come in your ski resorts !!! Korea ski resorts are only build to Korean people. Korea isn't a new market !!! It's a liar !!!

Liar

False, the winter condition aren't good in Korea to practice winter activity, only few cm of snow each winter. Moreover snow isn't good quality because is artificial snow... Korea purpose the worst snow condition since the beginning of WOG.

About mountains, PC don't have mountains but hills

PC hills (1470m)

You can't compare hills with mountains

And what about Lillehammer? Considered the best Winter Olympics ever, yet they have what YOU would define as "hills".

And what about Lillehammer? He was asking about Lillehammer, not anywhere in Norway. Best Olympics ever according to many, but you would consider them hills.

You would like to compare Lillehammer with PC??? :rolleyes: Sorry but Annecy is nearest than PC to the Lillehammer spirit.

About Lillehammer, they don't have mountains but they have lot of snow. PC don't have mountains and don't have snow.

Each time I ask you answer about Korean WInter Market you fudge this point... Maybe it's because you don't have potential to develop a new market...

You would like to compare Lillehammer with PC??? :rolleyes: Sorry but Annecy is nearest than PC to the Lillehammer spirit.

About Lillehammer, they don't have mountains but they have lot of snow. PC don't have mountains and don't have snow.

Each time I ask you answer about Korean WInter Market you fudge this point... Maybe it's because you don't have potential to develop a new market...

There is nothing left to say. The Korean market is 50 million people. If you don't see the potential in that, I can't help you.

About Lillehammer. Annecy is not Lillehammer. Lillehammer doesn't like being compared with Alpine cities. They didn't like it when Salzburg did it, and they don't appreciate you making the comparison for Annecy. (Although, if anything, from a legacy standpoint, Pyeongchang is more like Lillehammer because they would both have to build their venues from scratch. Ronningen agrees with me below):

PARIS, May 30, 2007 (AFP) - The Austrian alpine resort of Salzburg are on the wrong track in their bid to win the right to host the 2014 Winter Olympics by claiming they are the equivalent of the Lillehammer Games in 1992, the man who ran those Games told AFP.

Petter Ronningen said that he was astonished at Salzburg's claim to be the bid that could replace what is seen as the benchmark for Winter Olympic Games and added that to his mind the Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi was the most similar.

The Korean resort of Pyeongchang - narrowly beaten by Vancouver for the 2010 Games - is the other candidate, which will be decided upon in the unlikely surroundings of Guatemala City on July 4.

``When I hear Salzburg invoke the name of the Lillehammer Games and say they are the candidate who most reflects them then I have to scratch my head in amazement,'' Ronningen told AFP.

``We discussed our real identity (Norwegian) when we were preparing the bid. It was important for us.

``It is the wrong message from Salzburg. If they are going to do so then bring the Games back to Lillehammer.

``Of course I am glad they are invoking our name but to my mind any bid city should have their own identity,'' added Roningen, who acted as an advisor at both the Salt Lake City and Turin Winter Olympics as well as the Asian Games in Bangkok in 1998.

Salzburg have had a rocky campaign after starting out as favourites, with reports of internal fighting, financial troubles and several different chief executives.

The other two by contrast have had relatively smooth ones with Pyeonchang being credited for a much more subtle campaign than last time while Sochi have been as one IOC member put it 'right in our faces' as they battle to overcome the doubts over their bid being 'a virtual reality one' as there are as yet no facilities.

However, Roningen believes that Sochi should not be disheartened.

``There are many similarities with our bid,'' said Roningen.

``We are both countries with strong winter conditions. We are both nations that are basically born with skis on our feet.

``Sochi's lack of winter sports continues the line with Lillehammer - we had zero.

``All our venues were built for the Games and has left a real legacy, which is what Sochi is also claiming.

``Our Games inspired a new generation of winter sportsmen which has been so inspiring for athletics and young people.

``The legacy is very important for the IOC as it leaves something for the country and the cities.

``Sporting venues are primary for the Olympic family - If not it is a waste of money.''

There is nothing left to say. The Korean market is 50 million people. If you don't see the potential in that, I can't help you.

About Lillehammer. Annecy is not Lillehammer. Lillehammer doesn't like being compared with Alpine cities. They didn't like it when Salzburg did it, and they don't appreciate you making the comparison for Annecy. (Although, if anything, from a legacy standpoint, Pyeongchang is more like Lillehammer because they would both have to build their venues from scratch. Ronningen agrees with me below):

:rolleyes:

PC is like Lillehammer??? Stop your lie please, Lillehammer have lot of infrastructures before WoG, Norway have a tradition since more 1 century... Moreover Lillehammer have a authentic atmosphere, PC build everything without charm, without snow, without tradition... You can't build tradition, atmosphere or authenticity...

If you have already travel in Europe you could see than Annecy is nearest Lillehammer than PC will be never.... And I understand when some people don't want compare Lillehammer with Salzburg because Lillehammer would like to stay unique. Annecy will offer something different but with the same spirit... And in this race PC don't have this spirit because you don't have atmosphere or authenticity and Munich is a big city without alpine or winter tradition like in Annecy or Norway.

About Korean potential, I say Korea winter market is only for Korean, and I'm agree with you, but you can't attract other customer than Korean...

And moreover you can't exploit 50 million people with only 18 ski resorts is impossible... France is about 60 million people we have about 200 ski resorts and the market could be more important... But with only 18 ski resorts you can't answer to demand. But in Korean culture I think winter sport culture are very different than French winter sport culture... And never you will have the same demand.

:rolleyes:

PC is like Lillehammer??? Stop your lie please, Lillehammer have lot of infrastructures before WoG, Norway have a tradition since more 1 century... Moreover Lillehammer have a authentic atmosphere, PC build everything without charm, without snow, without tradition... You can't build tradition, atmosphere or authenticity...

blah blah blah...

Lillehammer had NOTHING, before 1992, not to mention for their second attempt in 1994, they also had NOTHING (aside from the ski slopes).

Effectively, the had close to no infrastructure for their 1994 bid and built everything necessary after they won. Had they lost, they'd probably consider building such venues to improve their chances. They won mostly on sentimentality, as the home of modern skiing, along with a clear venue plan and legacy plan for the region.

PC is in respects like Lillehammer, only difference being that they logically have built such infrastructure to better their chances, as well as to gain experience from hosting winter related events.

Lillehammer had NOTHING, before 1992, not to mention for their second attempt in 1994, they also had NOTHING (aside from the ski slopes).

Effectively, the had close to no infrastructure for their 1994 bid and built everything necessary after they won. Had they lost, they'd probably consider building such venues to improve their chances. They won mostly on sentimentality, as the home of modern skiing, along with a clear venue plan and legacy plan for the region.

PC is in respects like Lillehammer, only difference being that they logically have built such infrastructure to better their chances, as well as to gain experience from hosting winter related events.

Lillehammer had financially successful event.

They were very professional and had a winter sport culture.

Pyeongchang is not like Lillehammer.

Yet many IOC members say that the Korean market is fine, winter sports culture aside.

Korea has adverse conditions. Korea's market is not likely to grow. There are no foreigners that coming to Korea for skiing in the winter. China and Japan or any Asian have no reason to come to Korea in the winter. Because, Japan and China's conditions are better than Korea. Rather, a lot of Koreans going to Japan for skiing and snowboard.

China along with Japan would be two markets in Asia after 10 years. China will lead the next generation of Asia's winter. China has an additional potential and capacity. Korea can't afford to additional development.

Of course China and Japan have no reason to come to Korea if they have their own facilities! Yeesh! The market you advertise to is Koreans. Also, you would have only the 2nd sliding track in Asia, which would be a big reason to come to Korea, not to mention if the fees are lower than Japan's sliding track at Nagano, then more so reason to come!

The problem with China, is it's most likely location, Harbin is too far away from the slopes. Not to mention it's unlikely that the IOC would want to go there again after the "human rights" fiasco of Beijing (Protests and all, as well as lack of freedom for the press).

Archived