Alpine slope

AWESOME! this is the kind of arrogant posts that I hope you continue to show for Annency... The more you do so, the more you lose legitimacy among these forums. Anyway, you sure make a "good" ambassador for Annency 2018 and give a "good" impression about its supporters.

Please, Annecy 2018 has for the most part good supporters that understand fair play.

What we have here is one idiot (tulsa) that thinks Annecy should win outright (every bid IMO has close to equal chances of winning and more importantly, all deserve the games at some stage) and the others should lose shamefully (as well as being brainwashed by that other guy) and another idiot (nature, the guy who brainwashes tulsa) who supposedly hails from the nation that is bidding and is being highly unpatriotic, putting his own nation's bid down, supposedly coming up with these claims as to why PyeongChang should not host, let alone deserve the right to host the games (like outright, not just for 2018, but for all the Olympics to come).

Maybe compensation is not. This will create one of the biggest Olympic legacy. A return to the Olympic spirit rather than money as advocated by Baron Coubertin. Of course, it without considering Pyeongchang's environmental, financial and internal problems. Even if PC win (I don't see), I don't look forward to Pyeongchang, nothing.

Did I read the word MONEY? Well if that's the case, then surely it must go to PeyongChang! What with the current economic climate and supposed unlikeliness of getting a profit from an Olympics, then why not PeyongChang? As opposed to Munich, which is surely to get a profit! :lol:

Wait... did I just do a baron style response there?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2014, went to a city that proposed a unique concept for a Winter Olympics. A dedicated Olympic Park (purpose built and not existing), in which all venues have a clear post Olympic use (i.e conversion to a market or exhibition center as examples), a highly compact concept, the money to spend and above all, the sympathy card. I do believe most IOC members went for Sochi thanks to the fact that Moscow lost it's bid for the 2012 Summer Olympics. Much like Vancouver, this was a consolation for losing it's previous Summer Games bid.

The new frontier concept isn't really apt (to some extent), sure this IS a new region hosting the games, but given Russia's (and USSR's) rich winter sports history, this new frontier idea doesn't really work since Russians are already immersed in winter sports, only lacking the key facilities. Sochi 2014 offers such key facilities.

Also, the whole new frontier concept in general is not apt since you only need to look at Sarajevo 1984 as a clear example. Here you had a city and nation that wasn't dominant in winter sports, but made a first bid and one thanks to it's proposal for the 1984 games and marketing itself as a new frontier.

PyeongChang 2014 is a new frontier as most Koreans aren't as immersed in the various winter sports outside of short-track speed skating, as well as the opportunity to have legacy venues post Olympics.

Sotchi is a new frontier, Never Russia has host WoG, Sotchi mountains area is a new frontier where everything is possible... It's like a new Alps mountains Area, WoG will comeback there before 2050.

Russia is a new market, a new frontier about WoG and the developement could be amazing. Never Korea could be like Russia. Korea is the wrong frontier...

I'm not an idiot maybe I don't use the good approch but, it's a fact for everybody know how to develop a winter market, Korea isn't good to Host WoG...

The only reasons Russia had not hosted the Winter Olympics in the past (as the USSR) is simple, it's primarily due to the fact that they didn't follow and support alpine skiing sports (limited at the start and only reemerging at the end), which hindered them from actually making any competitive bid for an Olympics.

Russia already has a well developed winter sports culture, in most if not all sports, so in that aspect Sochi is not a new frontier, only geographically it is. Korea is a new frontier as it's both a geographical one as well as the potential to grow in winter sports, as it currently mostly only follows short track speed skating.

New alps and mountain area? What about PyeongChang and Alpensia? They plan to build the course specifically for the Olympics, how much new alps can you get? - Another baron style quote!

Of course Korea will never be Russia, you don't advertise a Korean games to be like that! Korea is the right frontier as it's only been to Asia twice! Both editions being held in Japan.

Ok, so you're not an idiot, but you are in the respects of putting down PyeongChang when you shouldn't. It's one thing to not support the games for environmental reasons etc, but to down right say they shouldn't host ever is not the way to go.

New alps and mountain area? What about PyeongChang and Alpensia? They plan to build the course specifically for the Olympics, how much new alps can you get? - Another baron style quote!

Sorry but Korea don't have lot of mountains like un Russia, moreover Korea Hills (Mountains :rolleyes: ) are very limited, you can't build more ski resorts or develop actual resorts... Alpensia is very small resorts, very limited, only 10 slopes... How would like compare this kind of resorts or mountains with Alps or Sotchi mountains??? It's impossible.And you can't have the same poosibility too develop. Korea is too limited too develop winter sports except ice sports... They have a ski jump since 15 years and only 4 jumpers, nobody use cross-country ski slopes in Korea, you can't practice Alpin ski in good condition and you don't have Freestyle ski slopes except in 2 resorts... Even Korea host WoG they can't develop this sport because they don't have the possibility. Korea is too limited because geographia isn't good contrary to Russia, Europe, Japan... It isn't their fault...

Umm look at Lillehammer. They have these "hills" of which you speak (i.e mountains that range around to 1500m only).

Korea isn't geographically good against Russia? I assume you mean mountain wise, sure, but location, is not. Why Sochi seems more isolated than PyeongChang, even though it has it's own major airport.

You keep on mentioning the number of slopes. When it comes to competitions it DOESN'T matter. All that's needed is the 800m run for men's downhill, then the runs beneath for women's, slalom, giant slalom etc. Having several runs is all that's needed. More will be a bonus.

Need we keep reminding you that PyeongChang, should they win, will develop their resorts? They will ensure good conditions for the Olympics, just like any city bidding would. Heck even those with the assured snow would have a back up plan in place should something err unseasonal should happen? Why this happened in Vancouver and I believe it also happened during one of the Innsbruck Olympics, where the army had to be called in to transport snow from elsewhere in the country.

Umm look at Lillehammer. They have these "hills" of which you speak (i.e mountains that range around to 1500m only).

Korea isn't geographically good against Russia? I assume you mean mountain wise, sure, but location, is not. Why Sochi seems more isolated than PyeongChang, even though it has it's own major airport.

You keep on mentioning the number of slopes. When it comes to competitions it DOESN'T matter. All that's needed is the 800m run for men's downhill, then the runs beneath for women's, slalom, giant slalom etc. Having several runs is all that's needed. More will be a bonus.

Need we keep reminding you that PyeongChang, should they win, will develop their resorts? They will ensure good conditions for the Olympics, just like any city bidding would. Heck even those with the assured snow would have a back up plan in place should something err unseasonal should happen? Why this happened in Vancouver and I believe it also happened during one of the Innsbruck Olympics, where the army had to be called in to transport snow from elsewhere in the country.

Korea can't transport snow from elsewhere in the country because they don't have high mountains... It will be impossible.

Sotchi isn't isolated, is very near from Europe and Russia is 150 millions people. Around black see you have lot of other countries...

About resorts I think you have need important capacity if you would like become an international place... Actually PC and Alpensia can't become an International.

About Lillehammer and Norway you can't compare, there is snow, and Lillehammer ski resort are bigger and Norway has lot of ski resorts... about 50...

Just if you want to compare a small resorts in Europe with Yongpyong

Les Gets small ski resorts :

plan_des_pistes_morzine_les-gets.jpg

Yongpyong bigger ski resort in Korea...

13530583yCOJbAoxLq_fs.jpeg

Korea don't have the potential... :(

Tulsa, LOSER!! You must be the most dogmatic, one-track, NARROW-MINDED coach to work with.

As if posting DRAWINGS of slopes will WIN the WOGs. :lol::lol:

Y do the 2 of you keep coming back here....when NOBODY else...NO ONE else likes or supports you. Even your own countrymen, Tulsie, are ashamed of your ridiculous tactics.

Goodbye in 10 days, Tulsie. ;)

• 7 months later...

'Pyeongchang downhill venue is the primeval forest. There are many rare plants and trees are living. Under current law, development is illegal.'

So one member of this forum keeps saying this and he is jumped on! Is it primeval forest? Is development under current law illegal?

You aren't lucky... because it's the only downhill in Korea where you can build an Alpine Slope... Maybe you should think about that before, it's too late except if you cancel Alpine Race, but I can't imagine the scandal... Korea isn't able to host WOG in good condition, nobody here seem understand that, people think money, money, money... Sport, nature or weather condition everybody doesn't care.

I understand, it's Asian turn for WOG but Peyonchang was the worst choice in Asia. But it's like World Cup in Qatar, a joke...

Maybe they could build the upper part of the alpine slope on top of a mountain. What is OK for ski jumping, should also be no problem for alpine skiing, but I don't know whether I would like alpine events on a concrete platform and after they've yet cancelled the high-speed rail due to the costs, this idea might be much to expensive for Korea.

Maybe they could build the upper part of the alpine slope on top of a mountain. What is OK for ski jumping, should also be no problem for alpine skiing, but I don't know whether I would like alpine events on a concrete platform and after they've yet cancelled the high-speed rail due to the costs, this idea might be much to expensive for Korea.

The alpine downhill events will be at Jungbong.

Archived