Sochi 2014

laura-sxema-2009.jpg

Pyeongchang 2018

Winter Olympics here? Really?

Alpensia

01_01img16_02.jpg

Yongpyong

1.1295533974.gold-valley-slope.jpg

This has always been my beef with the Pyeongchang bid. The mountain they are offering is just barely adequate and is desperately inferior to any of the others offered in the three bidding cycles that PC has run in. Considering that the downhill is one of the marquee events of the Olympic Winter Games and it happens on a site that cannot be constructed or made bigger, this is a serious handicap. It would like like running the mens 100m on a high school track.

Sarajevo was probably the weakest mountain in Olympic history. PC could take that job.

Salt Lake 2002

1112.jpg

That is Deer Valley, only Slalom and Freestyle events where held there. Not the most exciting hill in Utah, but one of the most luxurious.

Below is Snowbasin: downhill, combined and super G took place there.

The highest short lift on the right is Mt Allen tram, and drops you at the start of the Men's Grizzly Downhill!

snowbasin_map.jpg

Lets let FIS sign off on the course specifications shall we? ;)

I find the PC bid most interesting of the three, their attitude is fantastic and the bid is conducting itself in the true Olympic spirit!

I hope PC wins, go knows we'll be back in Europe soon enough.

And like Annecy for 2018 ;)

:lol:

I'm very confident about Annecy 2018, it's time to France to win bid after Paris 2008 and 2012.

Moreover we have everything to host perfectly WoG and we have very beautiful venues and tradition. Compare Munich and PC, Annecy have the Xfactor a magic destination. The world will recognize Annecy. Korea is a great country but not for WoG

This has always been my beef with the Pyeongchang bid. The mountain they are offering is just barely adequate and is desperately inferior to any of the others offered in the three bidding cycles that PC has run in. Considering that the downhill is one of the marquee events of the Olympic Winter Games and it happens on a site that cannot be constructed or made bigger, this is a serious handicap. It would like like running the mens 100m on a high school track.

Sarajevo was probably the weakest mountain in Olympic history. PC could take that job.

You specifically posted the below stats before, 7 years ago:

"Some Olympic sites...

2010 - Whistler - 1530 m, 5280 ft

2006 - Torino area - 2360 m, 7739 ft

2002 - Park City - 972 m, 3190 ft

1998 - Nagano - 840m, 2756 ft

1994 - Hafjell - 830 m, 2723 ft

1992 - Val 'Isere - 2000 m, 6560 ft

1988 - Mount Allan - 920 m, 3012 ft

1984 - Sarajevo - 803 m, 2634 ft"

Not all Winter Olympic sites have the vertical drop of Whistler. Even Lillehammer (one of the supposed best ever WOGs) hovered around the 800 metre requirement mark. As did Nagano, the last Asian host. The vertical drop in PyeongChang will be fine. If it's the natural setting we're concerned with (rather than vertical drop), then the mountains in Gangwon Province surrounding PyeongChang are more than stunning.

You specifically posted the below stats before, 7 years ago:

"Some Olympic sites...

2010 - Whistler - 1530 m, 5280 ft

2006 - Torino area - 2360 m, 7739 ft

2002 - Park City - 972 m, 3190 ft

1998 - Nagano - 840m, 2756 ft

1994 - Hafjell - 830 m, 2723 ft

1992 - Val 'Isere - 2000 m, 6560 ft

1988 - Mount Allan - 920 m, 3012 ft

1984 - Sarajevo - 803 m, 2634 ft"

Not all Winter Olympic sites have the vertical drop of Whistler. Even Lillehammer (one of the supposed best ever WOGs) hovered around the 800 metre requirement mark. As did Nagano, the last Asian host. The vertical drop in PyeongChang will be fine. If it's the natural setting we're concerned with (rather than vertical drop), then the mountains in Gangwon Province surrounding PyeongChang are more than stunning.

The problem with PC isn't the vertical drop but more about their knowledge about alpin ski and organization. Moreover we could have one of the most boring race in the history...

Each time PC organize some even about ski... It was a catastrophe, I don't want bad game...

The problem with PC isn't the vertical drop but more about their knowledge about alpin ski and organization. Moreover we could have one of the most boring race in the history...

Each time PC organize some even about ski... It was a catastrophe, I don't want bad game...

Well, it must not be about the vertical drop because this is what you said a year ago: ()

"Quebec city is a good destination for Winter Olympic games. I hope they try to win for future bid, but I think 2022 is too near Vancouver... maybe 2026 or 2028. If Annecy or munich win for 2018, for 2022 it will be USA city or Asia city, and If PC win in 2018 it will be Europeen city for 2022. "

So now that we've established it's not about the vertical drop, maybe you won't have any more concerns about any lack of "correct down hill".

Well, it must not be about the vertical drop because this is what you said a year ago: ()

"Quebec city is a good destination for Winter Olympic games. I hope they try to win for future bid, but I think 2022 is too near Vancouver... maybe 2026 or 2028. If Annecy or munich win for 2018, for 2022 it will be USA city or Asia city, and If PC win in 2018 it will be Europeen city for 2022. "

So now that we've established it's not about the vertical drop, maybe you won't have any more concerns about any lack of "correct down hill".

Quebec doesn't find correct down hill for the moment... :unsure: and without correct down hill they can't bid. But in 2002 and 2010 they tried to host WoG and they lost.... like PC

Quebec doesn't find correct down hill for the moment... :unsure: and without correct down hill they can't bid. But in 2002 and 2010 they tried to host WoG and they lost.... like PC

Modern engineering will be the solution for Quebec. Just look at say Cap-du-Salut (one of the proposed sites in 2002) and cap the mountain side to well over 800m considering that you need the base at the bottom as opposed to a temporary one in the river.

Ignore environmentalism (with the exception of making any modifications environmentally friendly) for once and costs. It'll all add up in the future when Quebec becomes one of the three or so rotational sites that hosts Men's Downhill skiing every now and then in Canada.

• 4 weeks later...

The alpine runs for Whistler were NOT the ones highlighted in red in the above trail maps. The men's downhil started a couple of hundred metres lower down--and the timing flats were actually about 100m ABOVE Whistler Creekside.

Pyeonchang will have better snow than Whistler and the mountain is fine--FIS has said so twice already.

The alpine runs for Whistler were NOT the ones highlighted in red in the above trail maps. The men's downhil started a couple of hundred metres lower down--and the timing flats were actually about 100m ABOVE Whistler Creekside.

Pyeonchang will have better snow than Whistler and the mountain is fine--FIS has said so twice already.

PC don't have Alpin ski down hill actually and I don't think the snow is better than Wisthler... Wisthler in world is a reference, PC never will be a reference to Alpin ski... You can't compare PC mountain with other like North America or Alpes.

I repeat, PC doesn't a new horizon, PC don't have a great potential and Corea doesn't a market interesting because don't have enough potential some other Region in the world. Corea isn't sexy to host WOG

Archived