Durban Bid Logo Comp

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

durban2020appcolouronwh.png

A few of my thoughts:

• The design, first and foremost, shows a bright sun with its rays spilling out in all directions (though it is abstract enough to also depict a gold medal or a perhaps the explosion from a starting pistol)
  • The basic design element of the logo - repeated six times to create this sun emblem - is a trace of the distinctive crane flower, a flower synonymous with South Africa and particularly Durban - it is in fact on the KwaZulu-Natal Coat of Arms.
  • The colouring of the text offsets the brightness of the main logo and also gives the impression of the sun over the Indian Ocean.
  • The chosen font is playful, free-spirited yet bold and confident; and recognisably African.
  • The design is abstract enough that it can have many different applications - its elements can be broken apart, recoloured, used in the foreground or background.

Of course, if you're so inclined you MAY choose to see a six-pointed star in this design. But we've all got our heads screwed on the right way and I'm sure you'll believe me when I tell you that that this interpretation is entirely coincidental. th_whistle.gif

No, really!

Of course, if you're so inclined you MAY choose to see a six-pointed star in this design. But we've all got our heads screwed on the right way and I'm sure you'll believe me when I tell you that that this interpretation is entirely coincidental. th_whistle.gif

No, really!

Oi Vey!

when the top 5 will be announce?

I originally allowed three weeks, so we'll give it another week to see if anybody else jumps in. I'm going to be in Melbourne for the coming week, so can't start off the next phase till next weekend anyway.

olympic bid potential. the x-factor for the Olympic Games

where is daveypodmore? he will wow all of you!

Alright, alright. He's a pro. Most of the rest of us aren't. :P

O-Factor - I do like that, we should use that word more on these forums. I thought it was something to do with the US Pres when you wrote it.

Is the competition still open. Heres my entry.

The logo uses Vuvuzelas to call the world to the first games on the African continent. There are 5 vuvuzelas, one to symbolise each of the olympic rings and each continent and they are in the five colours of the South African flag. This is the Candidate logo featuring the Olympic rings.

singlelogo.jpg

Candidate logo shown in colour and monochrome

candidatelogo.jpg

This is the Applicant city logo minus the Olympic rings.

applicantlogo.jpg

Archived