Durban Bid Logo Comp

Oh yeah, Lord D, I am so jealous of your little stick figures...

NOT! :lol:

Well since you've clearly failed to grasp the meaning of my "stick figures" as you call them, they're supposed to be representations of human figures found in Drakensberg rock art, located near Durban, the largest and most concentrated group of rock drawings in South Africa.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now guys ... no fighting. Leave that for when the poll starts (actually, try not to then either).

I know that with the right software, some designs can sure look a lot more polished than others. But really it would be great if we could all look at the concept rather than the execution.

Gotta admit, I tried my hand at a few - playing with zebra stripes and rainbows and Moses Madhiba - but I sure don't have the graphics talent many have here. And anyway, better if I kept out it if I'm conducting this comp.

I am wondering if anyone here is thinking of passing their's on to the Durban bid committee???

I am wondering if anyone here is thinking of passing their's on to the Durban bid committee???

Mine would just be laughed at... so no.

Oh, and it is the effort that counts from people, not the final product, so lets all be sportsman like. ;)

Can we pass the winner to the people at Durban 2020, that could be in way of a prize.

We probably could...but again...

#1 - Who is the right party to notify? (Maybe Rafa can provide a link?)

#2 - they would be constrained by the legal consideration of "Not accepting unsolicited material" since after all, this is intellectual property; AND

#3 - they would probably want to use their own, local talent.

I think the best we can do is alert them to the possibilities.

how do you mean?

Like Hollywood film and TV studios and other entities, UNLESS they run a contest or call for accepting porposals from the public at large, they are NOT under any legal obligation to accept or LOOK at material they did NOT ask for. They have a legitimate right to TURN AWAY 'unsolicited material.'

Similarly, like the LA, Atlanta, Salt Lake OCs, instead of holding wide, open nationwide contests for the designs of their Logos, mascots, etc., they just "invite" selected entities, design houses to accomplish their needs. (1) This makes it a much more expedient process; and (2) the process then becomes a simple 'work-for-hire' situation wherein, as in a job situation, they are hired and paid for their particular output, etc.

So, in other words, I would caution that unless we have an 'open, friendly line' to someone at what would be "Durban 2020," let us not be disappointed if they don't give so much as a whiff of what we produce here.

Okay, we've had enough time. I'll give 24 more hours for any latecomers, but this time tomorrow we'll get cracking into the voting stage(s).

@Paul - I assume your signature is your competition design, but it hasn't been officially submitted or declared as such. If you've got nothing else, just post what you've got (it looks good and it would be a shame to miss out).

We probably could...but again...

#1 - Who is the right party to notify? (Maybe Rafa can provide a link?)

#2 - they would be constrained by the legal consideration of "Not accepting unsolicited material" since after all, this is intellectual property; AND

#3 - they would probably want to use their own, local talent.

I think the best we can do is alert them to the possibilities.

Obviously, we can't do anything "official". But I did think one of our South Africans (Rafa, Dysan1?) might be able to pass them on to the relevant departments. No harm trying.

Realistically, I'd expect Durban probably already has a bid logo ready to go as soon as they get the official nod, but it can't hurt to test the waters.

I got one more coming tomorrow!

Just when I've got the evaluation report 90 per cent written!

Fine, if it's in when I get to work, I'll count it. I might just have to repost the actual logo itself separately from my compendium of the rest of the field.

It's still Mar 30 in my time and I just spent about $15 buying new magic markers.

I really had to get going on this - it's been four weeks (a week extra than originally announced) anyway - and I'm meant to be churning out the work in the office in the meantimke. Tell you what - I'll delay starting the first semi-final for a bit to let you get a chance to have it included in that. Let's say, it's 10.20am now in Sydney. Maybe 2pm Sydney time (whatever it is over your neck of the woods now).

I really had to get going on this - it's been four weeks (a week extra than originally announced) anyway - and I'm meant to be churning out the work in the office in the meantimke. Tell you what - I'll delay starting the first semi-final for a bit to let you get a chance to have it included in that. Let's say, it's 10.20am now in Sydney. Maybe 2pm Sydney time (whatever it is over your neck of the woods now).

OK. Fair deal. I think my #2 is better in a different plane.

Where is the diamond???? Lol

durban is easy, take a african continenf colour it with a local animal ta daaaa :) if its easy make another design comp. About istanbul and tokyo ;)

By the way why there is not a mobile site of gamesbids?

Where is the diamond???? Lol

durban is easy, take a african continenf colour it with a local animal ta daaaa :) if its easy make another design comp. About istanbul and tokyo ;)

By the way why there is not a mobile site of gamesbids?

istanbul is easy. Just stick a minaret or something like a vagina (for the 2 continents) and you got it. Tokyo's gone until 2028.

Archived