Durban Bid Logo Comp

Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, maybe I'm just bored, but with Baron's torch comp over and Faster's MaFIFA one going slowly, and with Puppy AWOL, I thought it might be time to kick-off another logo comp - the Third Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo competition!

The last two comps have oproved to be popular and simple, with a swag of entries and a record number of voters!

For a change this year, however, instead of a Summer or Winter Games logo, I figured we'd try something that may even have a chance of being used - an applicant and candidate city logo for a Durban bid for the Summer Olympic games of 2020!

This is how we will do it – you have to design a new logo for a Durban, South Africa, bid, both applicant and candidate stages, for the 2020 Summer Games.

What we are after is to come up with a logo for Durban that encompasses the overall feel of the city and a future first Games in Africa. What local influences can be tied into a visionary design concept? How can a Durban articulate graphically what it could bring to a future Summer Olympics hosting? Why should the games go to Africa?

The first step will be to design your logo. It has to be bold, new and indicative of Durban and Africa.

This logo has to be presented in 3 forms – the full colour logo on a white background, the logo in black and white and the logo utilised as a bidding logo - a street banner, a tshirt, pin etc. As well, we will need two versions of each of these - the logo needs to be able to standalone without the five rings and be labelled "Applicant City" and with the Olympic rings as Candidate City.

I want you to post the first one in here only – the full colour logo on a white background. Contact me via PM and I'll tell you where you can send the full submissions.

Obviously I realize that not everyone has access to the same level of technology to complete the tasks at hand – so the initial stage will be judged not on execution, but on visual impact.

This is a great chance to let your artist side run wild - and maybe even get your logo used in the expected actual 2020 Durban bid!

You have 3 weeks to submit your designs - at which point I (or someone with graphics knowledge - Kenadian, Rafa?) will post an official report and shortlist will be announced - prior to a public vote off!

And here are the previous winners!

winnerlogos.jpg

aomoriwinner.jpgdubai202011.png

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

was just going to say, bare the following in mind with Durban:

Indian ocean beach/surf centred outdoor city with lots of sunshine and never really cold.

Lots of palm trees in the city (well actually a very green city in general)

Combination of 3 major cultural groups (White/European, Asian and African)

Blues, yellows, oranges and white feature prominently in the cities current tourism logo.

Stick with the Zulu theme. What Dysan has described, while true, is a key problem with the Durban brand, cluttered and unsure.

For the actual bid, the African theme must be strong. It must be the African bid before anything else.

Some wonderful past winners. I particularly liked the winning Dubai entry which is stunning, and proof you don't need to be a pro to do well in these competitions (another belated congrats to Barrack). B)

But sod it, I am going to blow my own trumpet and post the winning logo of the (oft forgotten) 2008 Competition:

prague.png

Hopefully I'll regain those heights in this, the 4th GB logo contest. My last two efforts for Rio and Aomori were soundly beaten by much better efforts; but I reckon there's time for a comeback, even with Danny - the early bookies' favourite - likely to be in the field.

So, bring it on motherf****rs! :angry:

Ahem, I mean, may the best logo win! :P

And, great time to organise this as well Rols - the forums have been a bit quiet recently...I was expecting to give Grizzly Mohammed a run out in the Rio 2016 Mascot competition, but that won't be necessary; he goes back into his cage....for now.

Sorry Rob - I was going by the Puppy classification of the comps. I sure remember your logo now. Looking forward to seeing your Durbs submission. As yet, you seem to be the only entrant - though I'm counting on Danny and fatixx at least to get the crayolas out!

Stick with the Zulu theme. What Dysan has described, while true, is a key problem with the Durban brand, cluttered and unsure.

For the actual bid, the African theme must be strong. It must be the African bid before anything else.

I agree that African elements should feature prominently, but i disagree that the city branding is cluttered and unsure. The difficulty is that Durban does not have one massive icon for the city. It is a city that is formed by multiple elements, cultural groups however clearly all focussed on an outdoor lifestyle. I personally feel that a Zulu theme can be quite trite and tacky very easily.

I would like to withdraw my previous submission and submit this logo instead:

durban%20logo.jpeg

The concept behind this logo is as follows:

• The Olympic colours are present, along with the colours of the South African flag
  • There is a human figure present, symbolising an athlete, who is taking a large stride over the continent and also to symbolise the huge leap in Africa trying to host the games
  • The general shape has similarities with a traditional Zulu shield
  • The line at the bottom represents South Africa as hosts, although these are also Africa's Games

Yeah, I do like that one better, Scotguy.

Strictly speaking, though, the Olympic rings shouldn't go on the applicant city logo - they only get bunged on if accepted to candidate phase. But, hey, I won't be a stickler - as long as the logos work with or without the rings.

Hmmm. I've started to get some ideas myself ...

In the domestic competition for 2004, each of the 3 cities had their own logo. Cape Town was stylized on a hurdler, with the hurdle shaped like Table Mountain, while Jozi had the JS Strijdom Tower (as it was then known).

Does anyone have these logos? I can't recall the Durban logo, but will be interesting to see how it looked?

Archived