Seville 2020

agrippa

Hi, everyone! I'm new on this forum, and, first of all, I want to excuse myself because of my poor English, though I'll try to do my best.

I have opened this post because in Seville, Spain, some citizens are trying to make tehir city bid for the 2020 summer olympics. They have over 2,000 signs, and theya have made some demonstrations.

They perfectly know that Seville is a medium city which has to improve a lot its infrastructures, but that's one of the reasons they want their city to apply.

They have a web,http://sevilla2020.es and Twitter (@Sevilla2020) and Facebook (Sevilla2020) profiles

Seville over superior Madrid? I think not. If Madrid does bid a 3rd time, it could indeed win. Madrid is a perfect opportunity to showcase a unified Spain consisting of many different states and cultures.

I liked Seville but I don't think its an Olympic City.

I believe it has a lot to offer and would significantly benefit but I'm unsure if its the right city to bid with and given other Spanish cities whether the city will be suitable for an Olympic Games.

Welcome, Agrippa.

How's Maximus and Agrippina? :lol:

Well, if Doha, Hiroshima, Hobart, Leipzig, Tulsa and Seville were the other bidders (and all made the final cut), then it would altogether be the race of the Lightweights!!

BTW, your English is fine. You are understood perfectly vs. some native English speakers pretending to be Koreans ("nature" :rolleyes: )

Welcome, Agrippa.

Well, if Doha, Hiroshima, Hobart, Leipzig, Tulsa and Seville were the other bidders (and all made the final cut), then it would altogether be the race of the Lightweights!!

BTW, your English is fine. You are understood perfectly vs. some native English speakers pretending to be Koreans ("nature" :rolleyes: )

Thanks! :D

They say that Rio 2016 are going to be the first Southamerican Games. And Seville 2020 could be the first time that Games are hosted in a medium-size city. Which, of course, MUST have the necessary infraestructures...

Thanks! :D

They say that Rio 2016 are going to be the first Southamerican Games. And Seville 2020 could be the first time that Games are hosted in a medium-size city.

I think St. Louis 1904, Antwerp 1920 and Atlanta 1996 took care of the 'mid-sized' summer Olympic host cities already!!

BTW, I went to Expo '92 and I liked Seville very much then...as a setting for 'Carmen' of course!! ;)

I like Sevilla, and maybe, just maybe, they could organise an Olympics. But they're leaving it a bit late for a 2020 bid if they're just starting to get signatures together to consider a bid. Almost no time at all to get a plan together in time for the July-September IOC application deadlines. And especially if Madrid is waiting in the wings with its experience of two summer bids behind it.

Sevilla's best option would probably be to leave the 2020 bid from Spain to Madrid (assuming they're gonna do so) and see how that does. And if Madrid does try but fails again at the third attempt, maybe it just might be better for Spain to give the capital a rest for 2024 and try out Sevilla as a new face and challenger then. It would still be tough, but you never know where these things will lead.

Failing a summer pitch, a Youth Olympics may well be in Sevilla's capabilities - a lot of people would probably think Sevilla's size is more suited for a YOG anyway.

Hi!

Well, I think Madrid will bid for 2020. They're being forced by the President of the Spanish Olympic Committee and several leaders of our National Sports Federations to do so, and they haven't said no yet, they're just waiting until the elections in May are over. It's true that it may seem that Madrid's Olympic project has been put on hold and that there is not much interest, but the fact is that the project is already there, the same as for 2016 probably with some minor changes, and I really think the future mayor of Madrid, whoever he is, will like his city to host the Games.

On the other hand, I will support Seville if they bid. I have never been to Seville so I can't say much it, but I guess that if they bid for 2020 and so does Madrid, it's Seville's to lose again. Maybe it would be smarter if they left Madrid bid for 2020 or 2024 (we know Madrid will be in at least one of these bid campaigns) and if Madrid keeps losing, as they won't want to bid anymore, then bid. Of course, if Madrid won, Seville would have to wait until, at least, 2052...

Welcome, Agrippa.

and the winner will be tulsa, that's sure.

Seville is a bad idea for Spain, if the country intends to bid once more just after having lost 2016 SOG. Nothing against Seville but, for the time being, Spain's strenght is in presenting Madrid as bidding city.

Archived