Legacy,Tradition vs New Horizons.

nature

2018 Should be given the opportunity to country has a winter sports tradition.

Deutschland hava a inner winter sports tradition.

Money can not buy tradition.

:lol:

Ummmm, the Austrians beg to differ when they lost out to the Russians for 2014. I remember the Austrian headlines reading; "Putin 'BUYS' 2014 Games".

PC would be wrong

SouthKorea is not interested in Wintersport beside Short-Track and Speed-Skating and maybe Figure Skating.

They just want it for her reputation.

We would see more white elephants, and most likly the worst number of spectators we have ever seen at WOG.

IOC will get what they ask for.

Doesn't ANY nation want the Olympics for their "reputation". That's certainly what China, Russia & Brazil wanted them for, & also every single nation B4 them. So Y single out South Korea for that.

And as far as white elephants, what about the Birds Nest. And will Sochi use EVERY single venue that they're building from scratch post-games. So the IOC does get "what they ask for" with every Games.

Ummmm, the Austrians beg to differ when they lost out to the Russians for 2014. I remember the Austrian headlines reading; "Putin 'BUYS' 2014 Games".

Money can buy Olympics.

Money can not buy tradition and passion.

Russia winter sports strong country, but there was no infrastructure.

It's OK. They are can construction stadiums and hotels any time.

But tradition can not be made overnight.

Pyeongchang 2010-2014-2018 reckless challenge.

Joint creation of real estate speculators and politicians.

10 years ago and now. The ski jumping only "4" athletes. Has not changed.

Korea has a ski jumping park for 1997 winter universiade.

After the competition was neglected.

Money can buy Olympics.

Money can not buy tradition and passion.

Russia winter sports strong country, but there was no infrastructure.

It's OK. They are can construction stadiums and hotels any time.

But tradition can not be made overnight.

Pyeongchang 2010-2014-2018 reckless challenge.

Joint creation of real estate speculators and politicians.

10 years ago and now. The ski jumping only "4" athletes. Has not changed.

Korea has a ski jumping park for 1997 winter universiade.

After the competition was neglected.

Asia of year the is 2018!!

Why? Only Russian money good? Kwon VERY GOOD TOO!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am slightly conflicted.

I want Munich to win as I feel they will present the most professionally staged Games with good attendence due to a truly winter sports mad populace.

I want Annecy to win so the IOC can see a way to take the Games back to smaller cities and more intimate locales.

I want PC to win as they are close to Australia/China where I live now and tickets will be easy to get!

In a perfect world I am happy for any three to host - but I honestly think the IOC will just give these Games to PC to keep Tokyo (I know, I know - earthquake)/Busan out of the 2020 mix as realistic hopes and throw the door open to potentially back to back European hostings that will the throw the door open even wider for Africa/North America etc etc in 2024/2026/2028.

Then again a good few IOCs members are sure to kick the bucket in the next few years - and they want France to win to kill off Paris or to give Munich the win just because it is the best bid and has a compelling case.

As with Rols - my heart says Munich, my sense of Olympic righteousness says Annecy but my wallet says PC.

• 1 month later...

In Munich there is a big risk, which wasn't discussed yet: The Olympic Games supporters in Bavaria (federal state of germany, location of olympic games ) vanished from 60% percent (january) to 53% (mai)due to the awareness campaigns of the opposition (f.e. Green Party, environment committees ). Germany has meanwhile a very huge potential for mass demonstrations - see the mass demonstrations against a train station in Stuttgart , or the huge anti-atomic-demonstrations. In PyeongChang 93% of the people support the Olympic games - the problem of mass demonstrations does not exist.Demo-gegen-S21.jpg

In Munich there is a big risk, which wasn't discussed yet: The Olympic Games supporters in Bavaria (federal state of germany, location of olympic games ) vanished from 60% percent (january) to 53% (mai)due to the awareness campaigns of the opposition (f.e. Green Party, environment committees ). Germany has meanwhile a very huge potential for mass demonstrations - see the mass demonstrations against a train station in Stuttgart , or the huge anti-atomic-demonstrations. In PyeongChang 93% of the people support the Olympic games - the problem of mass demonstrations does not exist.

If you're Nolympia,

I understand for your groups action, regardless of right or wrong.

Everyone is thinking in terms of their own, it is a natural.

This is one of the situations in a democracy.

82 million people live in Germany, can produce a variety of situations.

But, Some people might agree.

You should not be overlooked it.

and, Why you have to mention the polls of Pyeongchang ?

If approved by 90 percent, it is not a democracy.

Pyeongchang downhill venue is forest reserve, do you know ?

Under current law can't development and too many rare plants and trees living now.

This is more serious than the general environment issue in Munich.

- the problem of mass demonstrations does not exist.

This is just the difference to culture and customs.

If you think about the global environment, you must support Munich.

But, if you think about the only Garmisch environment, you must support Pyeongchang.

If not, should speak about the abolition of the Olympics itself, not speak about Muncih 2018.

by Munich 2018 supporter.

In Munich there is a big risk, which wasn't discussed yet: The Olympic Games supporters in Bavaria (federal state of germany, location of olympic games ) vanished from 60% percent (january) to 53% (mai)due to the awareness campaigns of the opposition (f.e. Green Party, environment committees ). Germany has meanwhile a very huge potential for mass demonstrations - see the mass demonstrations against a train station in Stuttgart , or the huge anti-atomic-demonstrations. In PyeongChang 93% of the people support the Olympic games - the problem of mass demonstrations does not exist.

Ich glaube nicht, dass man Stuttgart 21, den Atomausstieg mit der Münchner Bewerbung vergleichen kann - bei Stuttgart 21 und bei der Kernenergie sind breite Bevölkerungsgruppe gegen die Politik der Bundesregierung bzw. ehem. Landesregierung eingestellt in diesen spez. Punkten - das ist bei der Bewerbung Münchens überhaupt nicht der Fall - also wirf' das nicht in einen Pott.

You can compare the train station in Stuttgart with Olympia in Munich! Both big projects don't have the acceptance of a big part of the population! The acceptance in Bavaria is at the moment only 53% - decreasing minute by minute! When the bulldozers will come and will chop 2000 trees in a green park in front of the people, there is a huge possibility of mass demonstration - exactly like in Stuttgart (see picture above)! I write in English in the hope, someone of the IOC could read this lines.

... sorry, that is nonsense - after the defeat of the NOlympic movement in the referendum in Garmisch-Partenkirchen you are trying to create a kind of uncertainty here, which doesn't exist...

Stuttgart 21 is under challenge, since a huge group of people don't believe that 8 tracks (four platforms) will be enough to guarantee a smooth train service - they fear that a railway station is built, which won't work, but change the structure of Stuttgart completely...

That is completely different by Munich's bid for Winter Olympics/Paralympics - they would work marvellous!!!

... sorry, that is nonsense - after the defeat of the NOlympic movement in the referendum in Garmisch-Partenkirchen you are trying to create a kind of uncertainty here, which doesn't exist...

Stuttgart 21 is under challenge, since a huge group of people don't believe that 8 tracks (four platforms) will be enough to guarantee a smooth train service - they fear that a railway station is built, which won't work, but change the structure of Stuttgart completely...

That is completely different by Munich's bid for Winter Olympics/Paralympics - they would work marvellous!!!

Umm...

What's the problem in Stuttgart ?

I guess railway-related tax and enviromental issues

Stuttgart more than 200km away from Munich.

Moreover, state is different.

Stuttgart in Baden-Wurttemberg.

Munich in Bavaria.

I think he came to the wrong board. B)

Stuttgart is the capital of Baden-Württemberg - the city center of Stuttgart is surrounded by hills - the current central station is a dead-end station like e.g. St. Pancras and Kings Cross in London - this dead-end station should be replaced by an underground central station with 8 tracks, which is reached by two tunnels from each side. Furthermore is the soil/ground under Stuttgart very tricky - furthermore a new track between Stuttgart and Ulm should be build and connected with this new central station.

Many people believe that 8 tracks are not enough - an underground central station not customer friendly - that it is more an estate business issue than a railway issue (since the tracks for the dead end station would be used for housings, builidng) - etc. etc.

There is absolutely no connection to Munich's bid

Stuttgart is the capital of Baden-Württemberg - the city center of Stuttgart is surrounded by hills - the current central station is a dead-end station like e.g. St. Pancras and Kings Cross in London - this dead-end station should be replaced by an underground central station with 8 tracks, which is reached by two tunnels from each side. Furthermore is the soil/ground under Stuttgart very tricky - furthermore a new track between Stuttgart and Ulm should be build and connected with this new central station.

Many people believe that 8 tracks are not enough - an underground central station not customer friendly - that it is more an estate business issue than a railway issue (since the tracks for the dead end station would be used for housings, builidng) - etc. etc.

There is absolutely no connection to Munich's bid

Thank for your answer.

I have searched about Stuttgart 21.

A summary of some.

- The railway modernization project focused between Stuttgart–Ulm.

- Scheduled for completion in 2019.

- There are some big opposition. (because of environmental issues)

- That project don't have nothing to do with Munich 2018.

Olympic games would work marvellous for you, but not for a lot of people in Germany! They don't understand the sense of paying billions for 18 days sportparty!

To destroy parts of a park, chop 2000 trees, build skyscrapers in the center of a city - all that could raise the anger of the population.

Keep in mind: Germans are used do demonstrate - even againt Olympic games in Munich!

Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFN5fWGAe0k

It's risky to ignore it, especially with only 53% acceptance in Bavaria.

Olympic games would work marvellous for you, but not for a lot of people in Germany! They don't understand the sense of paying billions for 18 days sportparty!

To destroy parts of a park, chop 2000 trees, build skyscrapers in the center of a city - all that could raise the anger of the population.

Keep in mind: Germans are used do demonstrate - even againt Olympic games in Munich!

It's risky to ignore it, especially with only 53% acceptance in Bavaria.

Usually I don't engage with you 'anti" mobs - I don't know why you bother posting here on a board full of obsessive Olympic fans, but I'm just interested.

Are you opposed to the Olympics just in Munich in 2018, or opposed to the Olympics as a concept and a whole? Think the world would be better off without them and they're a big waste of money and resources? Is there a place, in this bid race for 2018 particularly, you think it would be good to hold the games?

In my opinion it would be the best to look for one single place, where the olympic wintergames remain for the future.

The advantage: Much less expensive - much less destruction of environment - optimal climate conditions - no expensive bidding process.

I don't know, where this place should be - but I think It's not a very good idea, to build every four year new buildings and destroy green areas again and again.

As you know, the resources on earth are limited.

In my opinion it would be the best to look for one single place, where the olympic wintergames remain for the future.

The advantage: Much less expensive - much less destruction of environment - optimal climate conditions - no expensive bidding process.

I don't know, where this place should be - but I think It's not a very good idea, to build every four year new buildings and destroy green areas again and again.

I can understand from where you are coming from, but I don't agree with it and I have doubts that you will find a lot of supporters of this idea here in this forum, since this forum exists out of the fact that mayor international sport events are awarded in a biding process by the different sports federations/bodies (your point of view contradicts with the point of view of this forum).

Furthermore one of the reasons of the high interest in these sport events, is that they are hold everytime somewhere else!

Fair enough, it is a topic that gets discussed here, but as CAF above said, I doubt you'd find many, if any, supporters here. At best, some of us might say a permanent Olympics host site, winter or summer, is conceivable, but not desirable.

But, okay then, what would be your attitude to such a permanent base being Munich, or even maybe shared with, say, Austria, for example, Salzburg/Berchtesgaden?

Archived