2007 Tour de France to start in London

MIKYSALT

just wondering here - what does Le Tour starting in London in 2007 have to do with London 2012 five years later?

a few points

* this has been in the planning for years, well before the bid

* Le Tour is seperate from the Olympic Games

* most if not all the construction would have not started or just started at this time - so Olympic prep event is

* its unlikely that the prolodge and the Olympic Games time trial will be the same - since one will be under 8km and the other will be over 40km

If I remember rightly the formal announcement was scheduled while the 2012 campaign was still being fought, but the organisers postponed so not to award London with any positive media coverage.  

The Tour de France is an amazing event, it was remarkable to witness so many people so extremely passionate about a sport which I would have considered a minority sport before - but the French were mad for it - it was a brilliant day, the excitement was infectious!

Anything that happens in London from now on will have repercussions for 2012 .

Hopefully they will be positive repercussions. For example the terror attacks on July 7th will ultimately mean tigher security and a bigger budget spent on terrorism and security as a whole.

The issue about the aquatic centre design and the number of seats is better discussed now, and redesigned or whatever needs to be done etc, rather than ending up in an Athens 2004 siutation where the olympics are in a few months time and the roof on the main stadium still isn't complete, or having a swimming pool with no roof on it.

Plans are in the works for Quebec City, Canada to host the start of the 2008 Tour de France. It will help kick start the 500 year anniversary celebration of the founding of Quebec.

Louroz

2 stages of it, huh? Something like the Tour de France will pique some peoples' interest over there for sure. By the way, when were the other times that the TdF did their races in the UK?

Plans are in the works for Quebec City, Canada to host the start of the 2008 Tour de France. It will help kick start the 500 year anniversary celebration of the founding of Quebec.

Louroz

I wouldn't be surprised, if the French enclave of Saint Pierre And Miquelon could be involved in the 2008 Tour de France, with this previous post mentioning the possibility of Quebec being involved in it:

sb-lgflag.gif

Saint  Pierre And Miquelon Page

Louroz

I wouldn't be surprised, if the French enclave of Saint Pierre And Miquelon could be involved in the 2008 Tour de France, with this previous post mentioning the possibility of Quebec being involved in it:

Tahiti, anyone?  

How about the French Quarter in New Orleans?  That would be nice too.  

And I hear there's the French ghetto in Coruscant.  Can they get that in, too?

2 stages of it, huh? Something like the Tour de France will pique some peoples' interest over there for sure. By the way, when were the other times that the TdF did their races in the UK?

I think this will be the third time, there was once in the mid-1970's and there was also 1994 - the Channel Tunnel had just been completed, they could have conceivably cycled all the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived