Time to raise the volume

arwebb

jade_johnson.jpg

Long jump star Jade Johnson has confirmed she's firmly behind London 2012 - by carrying a Back the Bid message on her briefs.

Johnson revealed her unique message of support to a sell-out crowd at the Norwich Union Indoor Grand Prix at Birmingham's National Indoor Arena.

jade_johnson.jpg

As if we need an excuse to look down there.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is really irritating . I have some great London 2012/Commonwealth Games pics ( we're not making enough of the Manchester Comonwealth Games ) but I can't get them to display . I've tried hosting them with imageshack but it keeps saying the http is wrong .

Can anyone help ?

woburn_abbey.jpg

Valentine's Day surprise for London 2012

The East of England has chosen February 14 to get behind London 2012 in spectacular style.

A stunning Valentine's Day light show declaring 'I love London 2012' has been projected onto the facade of Woburn Abbey.

The projection was organised by the East of England Development Agency, who chose one of the region's most recognisable landmarks for the eye-catching message.

The support comes as London prepares to welcome a 12-strong Evaluation Commission to inspect the capital's plans for the 2012 Olypmic Games and Paralympic Games.

Charles Kitchen, Marketing Manager of the East of England Development Agency, said: "We are delighted with the final image and it speaks volumes about the way the region feels about the bid.

"The East of England is in a prime position to benefit from the Games coming to the UK, both in terms of economy and culture, and we really wanted to help contribute to the national effort."

The projection was organised with the assistance of the Duke of Bedford, whose family have lived on the site since 1547.

The present house was commissioned in 1747, and the buildings and gardens are one of the most popular tourist attractions in the East of England region.

Great pic Price . I'm from East Anglia . Good luck London from the east !

ballymore_statue.jpg

A statue of an Olympic athlete standing 10m tall has been unveiled in Trafalgar Square, marking the location of an exciting new addition to London's bid campaign.

The athlete stands at the entrance of the London 2012 Bid Experience, a free exhibition which uses state-of-the-art technology to give visitors a taste of how the 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games would look.

http://www.london2012.com/en....-15.htm

I MUST TRY AND FIND THE TIME TO PAY IT A VISIT.

I was there to day

There was a hologram of Matthew Pinsent lighting the Olympic flame for a split second I thought it was actually him.

The promotional video was blisteringly brilliant it made the heirs on the back of my neck stand on end .

It summed up every thing about London and why we should be hosting the Olympics

Dare the IOC not award the games to London after seeing that.

strangely They weren't selling any of the merchandise.

There was loads of people there and they were all hiting the back the bid buton on the way out.

Maybe it's self-deluding, but you do get the sense that London really would "celebrate" having the games more than other cities.

It reminds me of Euro96, the whole place seemed to be gripped by the event, threw off any traditional reserve and really came alive.

I don't get the same feeling for Paris or New York. Would the Parisians really drop their total indifference for a couple of weeks in the summer of 2012? Would New Yorkers really give up the Yankees or Mets for the period?

The Madrileños would be "up for it" I am sure, whilst I don't know enough about the Muscovite pysche to comment.

So ... how should the London bid convey this message? How can it generate the "festival atmosphere" throughout the city during the course of the fortnight?

Maybe it's self-deluding, but you do get the sense that London really would "celebrate" having the games more than other cities.

It reminds me of Euro96, the whole place seemed to be gripped by the event, threw off any traditional reserve and really came alive.

I don't get the same feeling for Paris or New York. Would the Parisians really drop their total indifference for a couple of weeks in the summer of 2012? Would New Yorkers really give up the Yankees or Mets for the period?

The Madrileños would be "up for it" I am sure, whilst I don't know enough about the Muscovite pysche to comment.

So ... how should the London bid convey this message? How can it generate the "festival atmosphere" throughout the city during the course of the fortnight?

Mick, you are so right. I actually think it is one of the hidden treasures of this whole Olympic race. I truly believe we celebrate so well in the UK, an amazing enthusiasm, but with a modesty which doesn't drag us into jingoism and exclusivity. It's why London welcomes the world and the world chooses to stay here. I don't think it's wrong to say that we are an inclusive and tolerant nation and this permeates through our culture and through our national festivities. I look at the Commonwealth Games, The London Marathon, The Queen's Jubilee, the Olympic torch procession, FA Cup, Rugby World Cup, Euro 96, Wimbledon etc. We should value it so much more than we do.

Surferdude ... I wouldn't go as far to say that the UK celebrates without touching into jingoism, but, as a n Irishman, I think it has become much more inclusive over recent years. Living in London during the rugby world cup, even I was tempted to go down to watch the winning team on their parade.

But the key question is How do you get this across to the IOC? You can't bottle the enthusiam and present it to them. I guess you can only hope that they remember the record numbers of tickets sold for the Commonwealth games in Manchester, and that Frankie Fredericks remembers the standing ovation he received after beating the home town favourites when he's thinking about his vote.

As an aside .... 19-13!!!!!! Bring on France in two weeks time!!!

I cant help,thinking that when the IOC inspectors deliver there report

The pack will be reshuffled and London could well come out on top.

As it stands at the moment it seems the inspectors were clearly less impressed with NewYork than they were with Madrid and London using the words (would) be good instead of( is )very good as in london.

The London Olympic project is clearly the more inspired.

And when the general public realize just how close the contest is they will go berserk

And the announcement day will be a highly charged accession.

With London coming out the winner.

The IOC just have to remember the sea of union jack's filing the whole stadium during the rowing finals  

And the crowed singing the national anthem while Kelly Holms was given her gold meddles

to see why a London games would be so special.

And that's just two of a million reasons,

I cant help,thinking that when the IOC inspectors deliver there report

The pack will be reshuffled and London could well come out on top.

As it stands at the moment it seems the inspectors were clearly less impressed with NewYork than they were with Madrid and London using the words (would) be good instead of( is )very good as in london.

The London Olympic project is clearly the more inspired.

And when the general public realize just how close the contest is they will go berserk

And the announcement day will be a highly charged accession.

With London coming out the winner.

The IOC just have to remember the sea of union jack's filing the whole stadium during the rowing finals  

And the crowed singing the national anthem while Kelly Holms was given her gold meddles

to see why a London games would be so special.

And that's just two of a million reasons,

HEAR! HEAR!

It’s a shame we could not have scheduled some Rugby world cup type celebration to coincide with the committees visit.

That said I think we got our point across to the evaluation committee but time will tell.

Bigdavejb ... another suggestion. Apparently at the league cup final (under the roof in Cardiff), the Liverpool & Chelsea fans broke the decibel record at a stadium with 130.6 decibels when the scousers scored in the first minute. So, instead of a Rugby World Cup style celebration, you could just truck 50,000 scousers down to London!!!!

Bigdavejb ... another suggestion. Apparently at the league cup final (under the roof in Cardiff), the Liverpool & Chelsea fans broke the decibel record at a stadium with 130.6 decibels when the scousers scored in the first minute. So, instead of a Rugby World Cup style celebration, you could just truck 50,000 scousers down to London!!!!

what was the decibel level when Gerrard own goaled ???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Spurs Support London 2012 Bid

Posted 11:22 am ET (GamesBids.com)

London’s bid for the 2012 Summer Olympic Games received official backing from Tottenham Hotspur at Sunday’s match against Newcastle United.

A team representative said the team was delighted to be involved in promoting the bid – recognizing that the UK’s huge passion for sport will make for the (best) Games ever. “Sport is a big part of the make up of Britain and hosting the Olympics would be a tremendous event for the whole country, not just London”.

Spurs fans were able to register their support by text messaging.

London 2012 bid officials will present their list of supporters to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) on July 6 in Singapore when the IOC makes its final decision as to who will host the 2012 Summer Olympic Games.

Good news that my club are supporting the cause!

Spurs Support London 2012 Bid

Posted 11:22 am ET (GamesBids.com)

London’s bid for the 2012 Summer Olympic Games received official backing from Tottenham Hotspur at Sunday’s match against Newcastle United.

A team representative said the team was delighted to be involved in promoting the bid – recognizing that the UK’s huge passion for sport will make for the (best) Games ever. “Sport is a big part of the make up of Britain and hosting the Olympics would be a tremendous event for the whole country, not just London”.

Spurs fans were able to register their support by text messaging.

London 2012 bid officials will present their list of supporters to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) on July 6 in Singapore when the IOC makes its final decision as to who will host the 2012 Summer Olympic Games.

Good news that my club are supporting the cause!

LOL, Im surprised you didn't make a seperate topic of this one Robert.

I laughed when I saw the story on the front page of Gamesbids. I thought that you would be the first to react to it...and I was right.

It is good news.

Olympic News must be slow this week, if a football endorsement makes the front headline on gamesbid, thats all I have to say regarding this :)

I quite agree Michelle - I saw it on the BBC site, but never in a million Sundays expected it to make it on to Gamebids... :laughlong:

What a waste of space... :wwww:

A waste of space? The Spurs team or White Hart Lane?  :laughlong:

I'm surprised Spurs didn't pledge their support earlier ... they must be interested in the idea of swapping their cramped conditions off the Seven Sisters Road, for spacious, pristine surroundings in the Olympic Stadium. How else are they going to get the necessary capacity to compete with North London's finest and the Emirates Stadium?

A waste of space? The Spurs team or White Hart Lane?  :laughlong:

I'm surprised Spurs didn't pledge their support earlier ... they must be interested in the idea of swapping their cramped conditions off the Seven Sisters Road, for spacious, pristine surroundings in the Olympic Stadium. How else are they going to get the necessary capacity to compete with North London's finest and the Emirates Stadium?

Well, I actually meant on Gamesbids news, but you have a point.  I'm not a fan of any London teams really, being a Northerner!!!!! :laughlong:  :cool: .  However, I do support all British teams in international/European competitions, like the patriotic person I am.  Just don't get me started on a North South football debate....   :wink:

Supporters numbers soar past 1.25m

More than 1.25m people have now 'Backed the Bid' to bring the 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games to London.

The number of supporters who have registered online, by text message and in person at London 2012 events now stands at 1,257,850.

London had originally announced an ambitious target of reaching 1m registered supporters before the 2012 Host City vote on 6 July.

But a huge surge in public support meant the 1m barrier was reached on 23 March - more than three months ahead of schedule.

And backing for London 2012 is not just limited to people in the capital, or even to the United Kingdom.

Supporters from more than 125 countries have registered via the bid website, from countries as diverse as Brazil, Bulgaria and Burkina Faso.

The website registration form also allows supporters to add their own individual messages of support for London 2012.

Residents of past Olympic cities have been particularly supportive of London's bid.

Paul Weston from Australia said: "We had the Olympics in 2000 and it just transforms the city. I really hope London - where I was born - will get to have the Olympic experience in 2012."

Lucy Papadimitriou, a native of 2004 host Athens, wrote: "There were so many lovely British supporters in Athens, the 2012 Games should be held in London."

And the capital's unrivalled diversity also attracts plenty of support.

Isaac Tchankap, a French journalist based in London, said: "As editor of Le Guide du Londonien, my duty is to spread the news within the French-speaking community.

"Cosmopolitan London must win. Let's pull together and push her all the way. Vive Londres 2012!"

Irishman Kevin O'Neill wrote: "As an Irish person, I can vouch for the warm, inclusive nature of London.

"As a Londoner, we want the Games. As an Irish person, we also want London to win!"

Messages have even been posted by web users old enough to remember the last time London hosted the Games.

Virginia Lavender said: "As a child, I used to swim in a pool built for practise by teams competing in the 1948 Games.

"Now that I'm old and decrepit (!), I would very much like the Games to come back where they belong."

Link

Archived