European Support

Rei

In your opinions, where do you think Londons votes from Europe will come from?

I think Scandanavia, the Netherlands and some Eastern European nations will vote for London, if its between the British capital and Paris.

I can also suggest, some Italian and Spanish IOC members will vote for London over Paris.

I disagree, Michelle, with the Latins.  Push comes to shove, the Italians and the Spanish will go with Paris over London.

Well maybe it was too much to hope for. But I still think Spain and Italy can be swung in Londons favour. Lets see what Seb and Blair can do.

the fact that italians members could give their vote to paris it's not taken for granted..

In these years the relationship between the 2 countries is became a little frozen..

thinking of the strong quarrel between Pescante and the french Rene Rock due to a supposed bad referee during Athens final fencing..

I guess nobody really knows, is the answer to this one.  I'm just gutted Christopher Ecclestone is not going to be Dr. Who anymore.  :(

I think we can rely on the Isle of Wight and Isle of Man deffo. LOL

Seriously, I think we are going to suffer with the European vote. I think we will take the Scandanavian vote though.

I think the UK will get more European votes than you think...

The members of the following may vote for London if push comes to shove:

Czech Republic

Hungary

Slovakia

Baltics

Netherlands

Ireland

Portugal

Bulgaria

Austria

Former Yugoslav states

So don't

I think the UK will get more European votes than you think...

The members of the following may vote for London if push comes to shove:

Czech Republic

Hungary

Slovakia

Baltics

Netherlands

Ireland

Portugal

Bulgaria

Austria

Former Yugoslav states

So don't worry too much about a European no-show - I think there's more sympathy than you think...

I think the bigger question is where will the Asian vote go?

North America will probably go for London if New York gets knocked out and it's between London and Paris.  I think Australia and New Zealand would as well.  

China would probably go for Paris but the others I have no idea -

I predict that most of London’s votes will come from Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Caribbean and Africa. Also if New York doesn’t make it to the final two in the voting, London will get American/Canadian support.

Why,.. do the French ridiculize you more nicer than the British. :D

Probably true about Spanish votes going to Paris, maybe that means Portugese votes going to London, due to Historic links between Portugal and Britain. :;):

Actually french treat us very well...

and if you think the historical links between Portugal and Uk are stronger than the historical links + friendship between Spain and Portugal... you're probably right.

Probably true about Spanish votes going to Paris, maybe that means Portugese votes going to London, due to Historic links between Portugal and Britain. :;):

Portugal want to bid for 2016 and so do not want Madrid to get 2012.... article in El Universel of 19 June

Lisboa.- La elección de la ciudad de Madrid como sede de los Juegos Olímpicos del 2012 perjudicaría las posibilidades de Lisboa de acoger ese acontecimiento deportivo en 2016, opinó el presidente del Comité Olímpico luso, Vicente Moura, reseñó Efe.

"Siendo Madrid _elegida sede de los juegos de 2012_ dificultaría realmente una candidatura portuguesa para 2016", juzgó Moura, que reconoce que ha mantenido conversaciones sobre ese asunto con Fernando Ferreira Lima Bello, el miembro portugués del COI con derecho a voto en la elección de las sedes. "Mentiría si dijese lo contrario _que no habló del asunto con Ferreira Lima Bello_, pero el voto es secreto y en el último análisis será siempre lo que él quiera", reconoce Moura.

El presidente del Comité luso afirmó que las tres ciudades presuntamente favoritas _Madrid, París y Londres_ tienen muy buenas condiciones y recordó que habló con el rey de España sobre el asunto durante la visita del monarca el pasado mayo a Portugal, con motivo de la gala de entrega de los Premios Laureus, una especie de Oscar del deporte.

El Comité Olímpico portugués prepara un informe para evaluar la posible candidatura del país para organizar los Juegos Olímpicos del 2016 y analizan detenidamente sus condiciones.

Portugal want to bid for 2016 and so do not want Madrid to get 2012.... article in El Universel of 19 June

Lisboa.- La elección de la ciudad de Madrid como sede de los Juegos Olímpicos del 2012 perjudicaría las posibilidades de Lisboa de acoger ese acontecimiento deportivo en 2016, opinó el presidente del Comité Olímpico luso, Vicente Moura, reseñó Efe.

"Siendo Madrid _elegida sede de los juegos de 2012_ dificultaría realmente una candidatura portuguesa para 2016", juzgó Moura, que reconoce que ha mantenido conversaciones sobre ese asunto con Fernando Ferreira Lima Bello, el miembro portugués del COI con derecho a voto en la elección de las sedes. "Mentiría si dijese lo contrario _que no habló del asunto con Ferreira Lima Bello_, pero el voto es secreto y en el último análisis será siempre lo que él quiera", reconoce Moura.

El presidente del Comité luso afirmó que las tres ciudades presuntamente favoritas _Madrid, París y Londres_ tienen muy buenas condiciones y recordó que habló con el rey de España sobre el asunto durante la visita del monarca el pasado mayo a Portugal, con motivo de la gala de entrega de los Premios Laureus, una especie de Oscar del deporte.

El Comité Olímpico portugués prepara un informe para evaluar la posible candidatura del país para organizar los Juegos Olímpicos del 2016 y analizan detenidamente sus condiciones.

For portuguese interests in hosting OG in 2016, it doesn´t matter if it´s Madrid, London, Paris, or Madrid. They only have chances if New York wins 2012 bid.

Portuguese delegates will vote for Madrid I think.

quickie translation...of EFE article

The election of the host city of Madrid as of the Olympic Games of the 2012 would harm the possibilities of Lisbon of welcoming that sport event in 2016, believes the President of the Olympic Committee Vicente Moura.

"Madrid being chosen to host the 2012 games would really make difficult a Portuguese candidacy for 2016", judged Moura, who recognizes that he has had conversations on that subject with Ferreira Lima, the Portuguese member of the IOC with right to vote in the election. "It would be a lie if I said that I did not speak on the subject with Ferreira Lima, but the vote is secret and in the last analysis he will be always the one that decides", recognizes Moura.

The president of the Committee Luso affirmed that the three presumably favorite cities _ Madrid, Paris and London _ have very good conditions and remembered that last May he spoke with the King of Spain on the subject during the visit of the Monarch to Portugal, on the occasion of the Laureus Awards. The Portuguese Olympic Committee is preparing a report to evaluate the possible candidacy of the country to organize the Olympic Games of 2016 and analyze its conditions.

Archived