The mascots for Sochi 2014

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bear is also my favorite, but is mostly because he's reminiscing of Misha than for anything else. Even Misha original creator planned to sue the organizing comittee for this. The rabbit and Snow Leopard are cute, though, but they're missing something.

Although their designs are not as horrid as London and Glasgow mascots, they still look very generic, like they didn't wanted to dare with something original and got stuck in the 80's. Not mentioning they seem sometimes like characters from a Dreamworks cartoon movie. :lol:

• 2 months later...

Sochi 2014 Olympic coins issued in Russia

The Russian Central Bank has issued into circulation 700,000 Sochi 2014 bullion coins.

All the coins have a square-cut form and depict the Russian double-headed eagle on one side and a white bear, one of the Sochi 2014 mascots, on the other.

The issues include 300,000 silver coins with the value of 3 roubles, 300,000 gold coins with a nominal value of 50 roubles and 100,000 gold coins worth 100 roubles.

i439ea851f73d82b22f89f4d8e1ae5785_-40766

(Image from http://www.cbr.ru)

The Russian Central Bank stressed in its press-release that from now on the coins could be used as legal tender.

Earlier this year the Sochi Olympic organizers unveiled their new cutting edge Olympic stamp, which make it possible to travel to the Games' website just with quick swipe of your mobile phone across the official logo.

The Sochi Winter Olympics will be held in the Russian Black Sea resort on February 7-23, 2014.

i0f281be4cc251fc8bdc8e69427e517ea_-99903

(Image from http://www.cbr.ru)

i2495e70be31dbd53c7fd84aa24782d99_3.n.jp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a strange angle they have taken with the mascots in Sochi. Although I think the mascots as images are kid friendly, the way they have been marketed is od. The majority of it seems to be placing little soft toys around the place. The fact they haven't been given names is curious. Even little tinpot sport events around the world seem to name them, and it's certainly a way to get kids involved in terms of holding naming competitions.

I guess, you could say that the Sochi mascots thus far have been more engaging than the fully named Syd,Millie and Olly from Sydney - time will judge I guess if they will live on in the minds of Olympic fans and the general public.

What 21st century mascots have actually been successful? Do children really give a damn when they have iPads and other things at their disposal?

In saying that, I loved the London mascots, and I have a Queens Guard myself, but my partners nephew got one too and he didn't seem to give a damn, it's a soft toy their told is a reflection of a big event they don't really have the cognitive ability to understand.

With the exception of London, everyone from Izzy to Quatchi were a bit dull, although I don't know what more could be done.

Three of my favourite mascots of all time are Waldi from 1972, Mischa from 1980 and Sam from 1984. Pre-Internet heroes!! I wish Sochi had revived only Mischa for 2014.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What 21st century mascots have actually been successful? Do children really give a damn when they have iPads and other things at their disposal?

In saying that, I loved the London mascots, and I have a Queens Guard myself, but my partners nephew got one too and he didn't seem to give a damn, it's a soft toy their told is a reflection of a big event they don't really have the cognitive ability to understand.

With the exception of London, everyone from Izzy to Quatchi were a bit dull, although I don't know what more could be done.

Three of my favourite mascots of all time are Waldi from 1972, Mischa from 1980 and Sam from 1984. Pre-Internet heroes!! I wish Sochi had revived only Mischa for 2014.

Easy... Muk Muk.

Mukmuk-Front.png

• 6 months later...

Archived