Furlong's Russian vote 'deal' concerns IOC

SkiFreak

Furlong's Russian vote 'deal' concerns IOC

The Associated Press Posted: Feb 23, 2011 11:19 AM PT Last Updated: Feb 23, 2011 11:31 AM PT

The IOC is asking the head of the Vancouver Olympics for more details on his claims of a deal with Russia during the bidding for the 2010 Winter Games.

John Furlong, who led Vancouver's winning bid and headed the 2010 organizing committee, says in a new book that a deal with Moscow's mayor may have been instrumental in swinging votes in Canada's favour.

The disclosure in Furlong's memoirs raises the spectre of possible violations of International Olympic Committee ethics and bidding rules.

"There is no investigation by the ethics commission at the present time," International Olympic Committee spokesman Mark Adams told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "However, having now read the book, we have written to John Furlong to ask him if he can give us more specifics on the claims made."

Furlong was not available for comment Wednesday but he did release a statement.

"As I stated in the book, every decision we made during the bid — including who to talk to, where, when, and why — was taken with a view to fully respecting the IOC rules," Furlong said... (continued)

Full article: CBC: Furlong's Russian vote 'deal' concerns IOC

At least there is something interesting in the book about the not-so-memorable games. This guy is an idiot to have used the language he did int he book. I wonder if it was his lame attempt to put something interesting or controversial in the book. But agreed, it's over, really seems like it never happened even, move on. Vancouver is the only city I know that seemed better before it hosted...not sure why....I think maybe it goes to the head of the people and they become a little fanatical and self-centered, which is the opposite of how I used to see Vancouverites. Plus the look of the games came up SHORT, and the city (always one of my favorite looking cities) didn't "wear" the look well. -not sure f that's how you say Vancouverites??

Don't understand the point of this story, but I've never been a huge fan of Furlong. While many people trumped up Furlong for many years, I always found him to be boring and disinterested. Even met him during the Paralympics and he seemed uncomfortable and out of place. Even in his official photos, he never smiles and looks angry (or constipated) and unapproachable. He's an uncharismatic man who just happened to have had an very interesting job. I've debated back and forth on whether or not to buy the book. Probably will just peruse it at Chapters and then put it back on the shelf.

At least there is something interesting in the book about the not-so-memorable games. This guy is an idiot to have used the language he did int he book. I wonder if it was his lame attempt to put something interesting or controversial in the book. But agreed, it's over, really seems like it never happened even, move on. Vancouver is the only city I know that seemed better before it hosted...not sure why....I think maybe it goes to the head of the people and they become a little fanatical and self-centered, which is the opposite of how I used to see Vancouverites. Plus the look of the games came up SHORT, and the city (always one of my favorite looking cities) didn't "wear" the look well. -not sure f that's how you say Vancouverites??

"Not so-memorable Games"...quite subjective, and not to mention that the Winter Games generally aren't "memorable" to the same extent as the Summer Games. Who really remembers Nagano? Lillehammer? Albertville? Really, only the people in the host cities/regions/nations. Not to mention, you've always had a thing against Vancouver.

Vancouver is a better city today because of the Olympics, thank you very much.

The "Look of the Games" is one very minor thing. It was an unfortunate thing to have cut, but recall that the world has been in recession for the last 2 years. And although the Look of the Games lacked, the city went above and beyond to provide a very hospitable and atmospheric experience - unlike any Olympics before it - in the city streets as well as in the many Live Sites.

VANOC's original plans for the Look of the Games before the recession.

vanoc-bg.jpg

vanoc-01.jpg

vanoc-02.jpg

vanoc-03.jpg

vanoc-04.jpg

vanoc-05.jpg

@ Kenadian: Furlong isn't perfect, but the fact that he's one of the very, very few to have held on to the job for the entire journey is an astounding accomplishment. The guy led an organization with zero issues, until the 2008 recession rolled in.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

IOC clears Vancouver Olympic chief of wrongdoing during bidding for 2010 Winter Games

By The Associated Press (CP) – 1 hour ago

LONDON — The International Olympic Committee has cleared Vancouver Games chief executive John Furlong of wrongdoing during bidding for the 2010 Olympics.

Furlong said in his memoirs that a deal with Moscow's mayor may have been crucial in Vancouver's victory.

The disclosure had raised the spectre of possible violations of IOC ethics and bidding rules.

But the IOC said in a statement Saturday that because the mayor is "not an IOC member there is no concern ... John has confirmed to us in writing that no IOC member was involved in any unauthorized discussion."

The statement stressed that "there is no evidence of wrongdoing."

CP