IOC Drops BASEBALL & SOFTBALL FOR 2012!

Beside, why Baron are you so interested in syncro swim

Logic

Well, honestly -- at first, it looks like some idiotic sport -- like figure skaters (I mean their swimsuits have all these sequins, etc.) who, while their rink has melted, have NOT given up their efforts and are still doing their pirouettes, etc., even while nearly drowning. :blink: (Just as I think Water Polo is Ice Hockey but with the rink melted!!) :lol:

But then when you actually examine the sport -- it is probably one of the MOST difficult physical exertions there are! I mean (1) you have to be almost part-fish to endure the rigours of the discipline; (2) the gals have to be in perfect Unision and in time with the music -- even while underwater!; (3) what? 3/4ths of the time? they are submerged, head first, feet in the air, in the water; and (4) they execute really physical maneuvers while still trying to look effortless.

I mean it is a DAMNED difficult discipline -- and those mermaids are certainly more pleasing to watch than all those Ben and Michael Johnsons, just huffing and puffing around that track.

I mean, Synchro Swimming, is what the Olympics are all about -- Sequins and Sweat (but disguised) -- the perfect SUmmer counterpoint to Figure Skating! That's the future of the Olympics!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, honestly -- at first, it looks like some idiotic sport -- like figure skaters (I mean their swimsuits have all these sequins, etc.) who, while their rink has melted, have NOT given up their efforts and are still doing their pirouettes, etc., even while nearly drowning. :blink: (Just as I think Water Polo is Ice Hockey but with the rink melted!!) :lol:

But then when you actually examine the sport -- it is probably one of the MOST difficult physical exertions there are! I mean (1) you have to be almost part-fish to endure the rigours of the discipline; (2) the gals have to be in perfect Unision and in time with the music -- even while underwater!; (3) what? 3/4ths of the time? they are submerged, head first, feet in the air, in the water; and (4) they execute really physical maneuvers while still trying to look effortless.

I mean it is a DAMNED difficult discipline -- and those mermaids are certainly more pleasing to watch than all those Ben and Michael Johnsons, just huffing and puffing around that track.

I mean, Synchro Swimming, is what the Olympics are all about -- Sequins and Sweat (but disguised) -- the perfect SUmmer counterpoint to Figure Skating! That's the future of the Olympics!!

I better understand your opinion, now, but is the difficulty the main side to be examined when considering a sport ? So Yuri Chechi ( the King of Rings :) ) is inside your garden (though not smiling ;) ) and shooting or high jump ( difficult but only ten secons performance) are out?

People’s Daily Online - UPDATED: 08:21, September 01, 2006

<<<<<<<<<<<

ISF determined to win back Olympic status through Special Task Force

The International Softball Federation (ISF) has been determined to get back its Olympic status, which had been deprived of from the 2012 London summer Games, by setting up a Strategic Task Force, declared ISF president Don Porter here on Thursday.

"This is obviously an important time for softball," Porter said. "Not only with our 2006 world championship going on and planning continuing for those of the next few years, but overall in light of our Olympic status."

The ISF President stated that the aim of the Task Force will be to regain Olympic status in 2009, when the International Olympic Committee (IOC) votes during its Session on the program for the 2016 Summer Games.

The make-up of the group, Porter said, will be ISF and national softball federation officials, IOC Members, National Olympic Committee representatives, and individuals from the corporate, government, and media sectors.

Already, three IOC Members have been in attendance during the current world championship. Lambis Nikolaou (IOC Vice President), Alex Gilady (Israel), and C.K. Wu (Chinese Taipei).

"We are having a successful tournament thus far here in Beijing," said Porter, "but while we are optimistic that the 2008 Games here will go just as well if not better, we need to ensure the future of our sport for the millions of young athletes around the world who are playing our sport with the dream of competing in the Olympics. This new Strategic Task Force will go a long way toward helping us achieve that goal."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Unquote

Good luck soft.

Beside, if IOC in 2009 will vote for the reintroduction of softball and/or baseball, I think this could be an admission of their mistakes during the terrible and messy vote in Singapore 2005. I cannot believe a sport can revolutionize itself in only 4 years, so:

1- Soft had the main requisites to stay in the programme, and the decision in Singapore was wrong.

2- Soft had not the requisites and will not have them in 4 years, so if they will reintroduce it they will take a wrong decision, again.

Good luck IOC.

Well, Softball and baseball will be, as of after the 2008 Olympics, "recognised sports", and that mean they can fille a candidature to become Olympic Sports, but they will probably be included in the same vote as, for example, Golf, Rugby and Squash.

And anyway, logic, I doubt the IOC will re-introduce both Softball and Baseball. You can count yourself lucky if they re-introduce one (personaly, I tink Baseball should do its return, allong with the adition of Wommen Baseball).

Well, Softball and baseball will be, as of after the 2008 Olympics, "recognised sports", and that mean they can fille a candidature to become Olympic Sports, but they will probably be included in the same vote as, for example, Golf, Rugby and Squash.

And anyway, logic, I doubt the IOC will re-introduce both Softball and Baseball. You can count yourself lucky if they re-introduce one (personaly, I tink Baseball should do its return, allong with the adition of Wommen Baseball).

To be exactly right, there is a big difference between baseb/soft and rugby/golf/squash: the firsts are OLYMPIC SPORT, inside the Olympic Charter, art. 46 page 86-87, the others are RECOGNIZED SPORT.

The firsts need only ( only ? ) to be voted one time to be introduced in the list of OG sport program, the others need first to be voted to be recognized Olympic Sport ( it needs 2/3rd majority of IOC members) and then to be voted again to be introduced in the list of OG sport program.

So these two groups will run in different tracks, even though this does not mean that for one group of them will be easier.

Personally I think that in 2009 will be easier for rugby to pass two vote sessions than for bas/sof to be reintroduced.

Bst rgds

Yes, but if I understood well, Softball and Baseball will "only" be recognized sports (and no longuer Olympic Sports) after the Beijing games. And all 26 remaining sports will need to be voted-in for 2016 before the London games. If any sport fails to win its vote, then the sport will be droped to the "recognized sport" statue after London and then a list of recognized sports will be submited to the IOC as possible replacement.

Yes, but if I understood well, Softball and Baseball will "only" be recognized sports (and no longuer Olympic Sports) after the Beijing games. And all 26 remaining sports will need to be voted-in for 2016 before the London games. If any sport fails to win its vote, then the sport will be droped to the "recognized sport" statue after London and then a list of recognized sports will be submited to the IOC as possible replacement.

Rogge said, after Singapore 2005, that those sport ( baseb and soft) will remain as Olympic Sport and they can apply in 2009 ( after Beijing, then) to be reintroduced in OG.

Those two sports are in the Olympic Charter and the Chart can be modified only with a specific vote with 2/3rd majority. Perhaps you mean that, after 2 absences in Olympics, a sport will authomatically loose its status ?

Mmmhh, interesting doubt <_< ......... But I don't think this could be possible, there is not any chance for an authomatic change in the Charter. And in any case this could happen after London 2012, in IOC Session of 2013, for the Olympic Program of 2020 ! :o

Well, if Baseball remain as an Olympic Sport, then that mean that Polo and Rugby (Union) are still Olympic Sports...

And anyway, if I recal well the rules have been change after the Singapour session so that a sport may be acepted with only a 50%+1 majority.

Well, if Baseball remain as an Olympic Sport, then that mean that Polo and Rugby (Union) are still Olympic Sports...

And anyway, if I recal well the rules have been change after the Singapour session so that a sport may be acepted with only a 50%+1 majority.

Yes, this is the idea but IOC Board still have to decide the procedure to be voted and accepted by the session. During the SPORT ACCORD held on April in Seoul all the organizations agreed to modify the concerned rules but it is not yet formalized.

The next IOC session should be on July 2007 in Guatemala. :blink:

Hi there,

Just take a look at this

http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/news_story/?ID=...ubname=olympics

Taichi Nomura

Hi there and here, taichi, and thanks for the note

........Porter, who has travelled widely and lobbied persistently to keep softball in the Games, has said his sport has been unfairly lumped with baseball.

This is the main problem of soft; for common people (and not only common, many of IOC members are not so involved in sport details, very bad :angry: ) , softball is female baseball.

This is not unfair, is the reality and if people feel and lump baseball and soft, is a mistake of softball leaders.

Sorry for Porter but I think this is the hard true.

Well, if softball is not a form of baseball, what is it?

Right question, and this is what I said in my previous post

The differences between Baseball and soft are mainly understood only by experts.

In Europe still baseball is not popular, try to imagine what people can understand between baseball and soft :o:o .

The hard reality is that in many, too many countries, baseball praticants and followers are an elite, and softball ones are elite in that elite.

The same problem could be found between greco roman wrestling and free style one: people see two competitors fighting in blue and red uniforms and that's all they watch.

Daily News Wire Services

Baseball to make pitch for reinstatement to Olympics

Baseball is stepping to the plate in an attempt to return to the Olympics.

The earliest it can win reinstatement is 2009, when the International Olympic Committee considers the sports program for the 2016 Games.

The International Baseball Federation said yesterday it has set up a commission "to evaluate and resolve the problems connected with baseball's return to the Olympic program."

The move came after a meeting in Rome of international baseball officials from 22 countries. Raffaele Pagnozzi, secretary of the Italian and European Olympic Committees, said he expected baseball to be readmitted "very soon."

Baseball and softball were dropped from the Olympics after the 2008 Beijing Games in an IOC vote last year. Baseball has been an Olympic sport since 1992, but will not be part of the 2012 London Games.

Last month, the international softball federation set up a group to work for the sport's return to the Olympics. Softball, a women's-only Olympic sport, debuted at the 1996 Atlanta Games.

The IBAF also set a date for its presidential elections - March 2, 2007, in Beijing - following the death of former president Aldo Notari in July. Notari, who headed the IBAF since 1993, had lobbied for baseball's reinstatement for the London Olympics, but the IOC upheld its decision in February.

Archived