A gallimaufry of London 2012 bits

But look at it from Visa's POV. They paid mucho buckaroos for the exclusive right to be the Games' Official Financial Card. They have every right to do that. I mean why allow competitors to engage in business in turf you PAID highly for? People will just have to understand that. There were NO ATMs in Games before 1992; people got along w/o them. Surely, this new, extra convenience can be tailored to serve a large enough segment of the public. No Visa? Get one.

• Like 1
  • Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Somebody needs to explain to Visa that you become an Olympic sponsor to get people to feel all warm and fuzzy about your company. This <crap> just pissed people off.

This really made me chuckle this morning on the way home from the Closing Ceremony... it may have been the fact that I'd been up for 24 hours but I don't think so! New wayfarer signs at Stratford sta

The wrap idea has not been dropped.

But look at it from Visa's POV. They paid mucho buckaroos for the exclusive right to be the Games' Official Financial Card. They have every right to do that. I mean why allow competitors to engage in business in turf you PAID highly for? People will just have to understand that.

OK, let's look at it from VISA standpoint.... why did they pay mucho buckaroos to be an Olympic sponsor? Did they do it because they could force Olympic patrons to use VISA, thereby increasing their business by 0.001%? Or did they do it because they want positive brand imaging?

This isn't positive brand imaging!

OK, let's look at it from VISA standpoint.... why did they pay mucho buckaroos to be an Olympic sponsor? Did they do it because they could force Olympic patrons to use VISA, thereby increasing their business by 0.001%? Or did they do it because they want positive brand imaging?

This isn't positive brand imaging!

If VISA wasn't going to take it, then MasterCard probably would. Don't blame the sponsors. Blame the IOC for offering them 'exclusive' deals. How come people aren't complaining...I want to watch it on ABC or Station X because I hate NBC? Sorry; no choice. One network paid for exclusive rights and they get to show it. If you don't care for that network for any particular reason, then tough luck. That's just the way it is.

• Like 1

Samsung have forked out too but that doesn't stop people watching the Games on a Sony television. This is the equivalent of saying that if you wanted to watch mobile TV within the Olympic Park, it has to be on a Samsung phone because your iPhone won't work. (I should keep quiet - it might give them ideas!)

I can accept Visa's right to be the only card in use to pay for items by card around the Olympics. It's the bit around stopping people getting cash out of their bank accounts when many banks have a single supplier for their debit cards and people can't just change them on a whim. I can see occasions this summer when people will go to the Olympic Park with what they think is sufficient cash for the day and then little Johnny drops the tray that held the family lunch so that needs to be repurchased, soaks themselves in sticky liquid and needs a new T-shirt, the sunny weather changes to torrential rain so the family buy raingear - except, oh no, they can't because the cash is gone and they can't get any more because their ATM card isn't a Visa one. Bad feelings all round. And no, it's not sour grapes on my part since I do have a Visa debit card so won't be personally affected.

• Like 2

Samsung have forked out too but that doesn't stop people watching the Games on a Sony television.

Don't be ridiculous. Of course the control can't go that far. But if there were some technology to do it, you can bet your bottom dollar it probably would be tried. But the sponsors go in there knowing what their sponsorship can allow or will NOT accommodate. Since 1984, the Olympics have always had ONE major sponsor per category. That's just how those sponsorship deals are worked out. It seems to have worked out well for the IOC and the various organizing committees, so I don't see them redrawing the wheel any time soon. You should complain to the IOC.

• Like 1

A giant tea machine, metal trees and a gazebo that grows biofuel are to be built in London as part of a city-wide series of nine architectural pavilions during the Olympics.

Four London architecture schools were chosen to design the pavilions after answering a design brief issued by the mayor’s office calling for “temporary architectural installations” costing up to £100,000.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/architecture-students’-olympic-designs-to-decorate-london/5037822.article

If VISA wasn't going to take it, then MasterCard probably would. Don't blame the sponsors. Blame the IOC for offering them 'exclusive' deals.

I'm not blaming the IOC. I'm not blaming the other sponsors. I'm blaming VISA. They are making my life harder. Worse, they are paying big bucks to make my life harder. It's totally idiotic.

Putting the Olympics on NBC and not ABC doesn't make my life harder. Allowing Samsung to put the Olympic logos on their stuff but not Sony doesn't make my life harder. Not letting me use my VISA makes my life harder. It makes me hate VISA. That's exactly the opposite result from what you want sponsoring VISA.

Let MasterCard take the sponsorship. Better still, let American Express take it. AE sponsors all sorts of big events. They put their logo everywhere. They make all sorts of special services availabe to AE card holders. They give away free stuff if you buy $xx worth of stuff on your AE. But you know what they don't do? They don't prevent me from using my Visa or MasterCard.

The decision to make life harder for people is one VISA makes. Do they have a right to do so? Sure. But it's completely idiotic. VISA is paying lots of money, and generating tons of ill will and bad publicity. What do they get out of it? An increase of 0.001% in transactions?

The decision to make life harder for people is one VISA makes. Do they have a right to do so? Sure. But it's completely idiotic. VISA is paying lots of money, and generating tons of ill will and bad publicity. What do they get out of it? An increase of 0.001% in transactions?

Where exactly is all the bad press about this? Sure, theres usually a few grunts every four years, but to be entirely honest, the only people affected by this are those that go to the Games. And out of all the people that will be attending the Games, the percentage of people that don't/can't use a VISA card are statistically insignificant.

TOP membership has been wildly successful for VISA since they joined in 1986. Remember, VISA wasn't the IOC's first choice; in fact, VISA was the only company they could get...fast forward to today and VISA is now the global leader thanks in large part to TOP. There may be a few people that don't like it, but VISA is here to stay. You can expect TOP be reorganized after 2020, but don't expect to ever be able to use a MasterCard at the Olympics.

I went to the synchronised swimming 'London Prepares' event and saw the last 4 duos qualify. We later saw two of the successful girls waiting in a queue at Westfield so stopped to say 'congratulations' and received very wide smiles in return.

No, I don't think they have, thanks. I hadn't seen the internal shots of the shooting venue.

It has a similar feel to the water polo venue funnily enough, though they're by different architects.

ennis.jpg

Is it a welcome, or a competitive warning?

As of 14 June, millions of passengers flying into Heathrow will be greeted with a giant painting on the flight path, featuring British World Champion heptathlete Jessica Ennis alongside the words: "Welcome to our Turf".

The image was created by British Airways to welcome home Team GB and ParalympicsGB supporters and, according to BA's website, "remind athletes from overseas that only one country has home advantage".

The huge painting measures 53 by 75 metres and is bigger than 15 tennis courts and 193 London buses.

It is portrayed with Olympic hopeful Ennis with the Twitter hashtag HomeAdvantage to "generate buzz and capture excitement".

The image is located in Thornbury Playing Fields in Hounslow, about three miles from Heathrow.

Over 600 litres of red, white and blue weatherproof paint was used, taking two days for painters to complete the artwork on grass.

According to a BA statement, Jessica Ennis said: "I'm thrilled to be the first face that people will see arriving into the UK for the London 2012 Games.

"I hope it brings excitement to homecoming Brits, and reminds international athletes that we're ready and prepared! We have the most dedicated fans in the world, who will get behind us every step of the way to give us a home advantage."

Former American Olympic rower Kate Johnson, said: "As an athlete at the Athens Games in 2004, one of my strongest memories was seeing the city for the first time as we flew in, because that's when the reality kicked in. It's an exciting and anxious moment for athletes, and I expect they will be amused and a perhaps a little unsettled to see such a bold message as they arrive to the UK."

British Airways sponsorship manager, Luisa Fernandez, added: "Whether you're a Brit coming home, or an athlete arriving in for the London 2012 Games, this celebratory message reminds us all of the power of the home crowd and how important it is to get behind Team GB and ParalympicsGB."

http://travel.aol.co...26pLid%3D113235

Edited by Lee

All the flags of the world have been hung out all the way down Regent's Street - looks fecking amazing! Brought a lump to my throat - it really is happening! Amazing!!

My phone ran out of juice so no pics - will post some on Monday! Will try and take some of the Olympic look in Stratford on my back from rehearsals today!

I could kick myself, we walked by the end of Regent Street and I saw a bit of flag, I assumed it was Commonwealth flags from the Jubilee. I wished I'd had a look see now : (

That's precisely what I thought when I walked past it last Wednesday although I'd known it was Union flags for the Jubilee. But they were still up in the upper half of Regent St so just figured I'd got the wrong end of the stick re the Jubilee ones. Still... I'll see them again and hope they will grow on me.

Do we know when the 'special' Mall look is going up? I work relatively nearby and could accidentally happy to walk through St James Park for lunch one day.