A gallimaufry of London 2012 bits

Rob2012

My Hungarian friend just sent me the following info which I think not even our Londoners were aware of:

"I am not sure you are aware of the fact that for the duration of the London Olympics, all subway stations in London will be renamed after the greatest Olympians in history. 13 Hungarians are included. Not surprisingly the choices are almost obvious:

Three-time gold medal winner water polo players: Gyarmati and Karpati (1952-1964)

Three time gold medal winner boxer: Laszlo Papp (1948-1956)

"Million times" gold medal winner fencers: Gerevich and Karpati (1932-1960!!!)

Five times gold medal winner swimmer: Kristina Egerszegi (1988-1996)

Four times gold medal winner swimmer: Tamas Darnyi (1992-1996)

Three-times gold-medal winer legendary pentathlon champion: Balczo (1960-1972)

Legendary rapid-pistol champion (who changed hand after an accident):Karoly Takacs (1948-1952)

And finally: Four members of the 1952 Hungarian soccer team: Puskas, Kocsis, Bozsik and Czibor. (1952)

The subway station at the entrance to the main stadium, Wembley, is named after Puskas.

URL of the designations: https://mail.google....=emb&zw&atsh=1

Interesting!

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theres now an official results ap you can download to go with the join in ap. That one is free

There seems to be a game ap too at £1.99 and a free version.

The aps look pretty cool on your phone as all are different coloured logos on contrasting backgrounds.

The London 2012 branding showing how versatile it is.

Theres now an official results ap you can download to go with the join in ap. That one is free

There seems to be a game ap too at £1.99 and a free version.

The aps look pretty cool on your phone as all are different coloured logos on contrasting backgrounds.

The London 2012 branding showing how versatile it is.

The resulrs app looks great, thanks for the heads up!

I want to visit the Marion Jones, Ben Johnson or Tonya Harding stations. :blink: Which ones are those?

Probably Down St, Brompton Road and British Museum. The stations that were quite prominent in their day but are now closed, off the map and most people ignore them.

A stupid move really for any visitors brave enough to ask the locals for directions - best stick to the original names. Same with the North Greenwich Arena - I know they can't name it "O2 Arena" but they could make it a bit more obvious by naming it the "Olympic Arena" or "Olympic Dome" for the games.

A stupid move really for any visitors brave enough to ask the locals for directions - best stick to the original names.

Erm.

Same with the North Greenwich Arena - I know they can't name it "O2 Arena" but they could make it a bit more obvious by naming it the "Olympic Arena" or "Olympic Dome" for the games.

Well that would be even more confusing when it's not in the Olympic Park and it's in North Greenwich by North Greenwich station.

A stupid move really for any visitors brave enough to ask the locals for directions - best stick to the original names.

They've only done it on a souvenir Tube map. The actual Tube maps and stations haven't changed names. And as DarJoLe says - North Greenwich Arena does indicate the Tube stop that people need to get to.

Davey, the picture is of gamesmakers in uniform walking down a street. There is a street sign saying "Celebration Avenue E20" in the foreground. It could have been taken during games time. That's why I like it so much.

Went to Heathrow Teminal 3 to pick up a friend today. There's already a London 2012 booth station at the arrival hall manned by the Games Makers. And few of them are waiting at the arrival gates for athletes I suppose. Quite impressed by their enthusiasm, they all seem to be having fun (not to mention the long way to the airport hope they all live nearby). I thought all athletes will be arriving at the special Olympic terminals? And how exactly will the athletes be transported once arrive at the airport? Will they be bused straight to the Olympic village or take a tube there themselves?

Went to Heathrow Teminal 3 to pick up a friend today. There's already a London 2012 booth station at the arrival hall manned by the Games Makers. And few of them are waiting at the arrival gates for athletes I suppose. Quite impressed by their enthusiasm, they all seem to be having fun (not to mention the long way to the airport hope they all live nearby). I thought all athletes will be arriving at the special Olympic terminals? And how exactly will the athletes be transported once arrive at the airport? Will they be bused straight to the Olympic village or take a tube there themselves?

They are not only there to welcome athletes (18,000), but mainly media (28,000) and also technical official (5,000) & VIPs (6,000) ...

And yes, there is specific dedicated transportation for athletes from the airport to the OV !

You really really want to go to the John Lewis department store in Stratford City. One reason is that it's got a great view across part of the Olympic Park - stadium, aquatic centre and water polo arena.

The other reason is this; a huge Lego stadium in the toy department. It's about 12ft x 5ft and it looks amazing.

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

Archived