A gallimaufry of London 2012 bits

Rob2012

Majority of SMEs believe that London 2012 will not have a positive impact on their business

Federation of Small Businesses: Olympics legacy will be damp squib for small firms.

New figures show that six in 10 small firms believe the London 2012 Games will not have a positive impact on their business in the long term despite David Cameron saying today that the UK is "on track" for a lasting legacy, the Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) said today.

As the UK marks 200 days until the start of the Olympic and Paralympic Games, the FSB's ‘Voice of Small Business' Survey Panel shows that 62 per cent of small firms believe that the Games will have no long term positive impact on their business, despite promises that the legacy of the London 2012 Games will continue for years.

Majority of SMEs believe that London 2012 will not have a positive impact on their business

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Olympic companies call for end to ban on promoting work on games

Architects, engineers and technology companies speak out against protocol enforced by London 2012 organising committee

David Cameron is facing calls to end a ban on companies involved in the London Olympics from publicising their work on the games and has been warned that the gagging order is undermining job creation and economic growth.

Architects, engineers and technology companies have spoken out against a protocol, enforced by the London 2012 organising committee, which has prevented firms from entering projects for awards, publishing photos of completed arenas and even submitting work to exhibitions.

Olympic organisers said the rules were intended to protect the rights of major sponsors, but many suppliers say they clash with ministerial statements that the Olympics will provide British business with an economic boost.

On Monday, Cameron said "all credit" was due "to the people involved in providing these venues, getting them ready on time and on budget".

Ken Shuttleworth, the designer of the handball arena, said his firm has had a tussle with Locog over whether it could feature the venue in his company's own annual report, while Locog shut down attempts by a non-commercial trust to stage an exhibition about the London 2012 venues and suppliers.

Zaha Hadid, the architect of the aquatics centre and Sir Michael Hopkins, the architect of the velodrome, are among those covered by the no marketing rights protocol, but it is the dozens of smaller, less high-profile suppliers who are most concerned.

They have said they are being constrained when pitching for work on events such as the football World Cup in 2014 and the Olympics in Brazil 2016.

"There is a contradiction between what different sides of government are saying," Roger Hawkins, whose firm's £110m redesign of Stratford station was prevented by the Olympic Delivery Authority from being entered for a Civic Trust award, said.

"We would love to promote our work on this complex technical project because we have developed skills that we would like to market into other opportunities. We are not allowed to do that, and there is a level of frustration in the design team about that."

Deborah Saunt, whose DSDHA firm designed the tallest tower in the athletes' village, said the rules "run contrary to common sense".

"We feel we have produced a new model of social housing, but we can't go out and promote it," she said. "Normally we would be publishing this globally, but here we have to wait until we are asked to talk about it. This is a missed opportunity."

STL Communications, an Oxfordshire telecoms firm that won the contract to provide hundreds of phones to be used by organisers to co-ordinate the opening and closing ceremonies, has written to Cameron demanding a rethink.

The firm told the prime minister the gag means it may have to forego 20% business growth.

"It is hard to understand how somebody providing tiles or doors is going to ambush Adidas or BMW by marketing their involvement in the games," Jim Heverin, a partner at Zaha Hadid Architects, which designed the aquatics centre, said.

Locog said a large proportion of the funding for the staging of the games comes from sponsorship by companies purchasing exclusive rights to promote their association with the games.

"Without these sponsors the games simply wouldn't happen, so we require suppliers not to advertise their involvement in order to protect our sponsors' associations with the London 2012," a spokesman said.

"Contractors are able to factually refer to the work they have done on the games when pitching for new business or refer to it on their websites alongside other examples of their work."

Peter Murray, a trustee of the Building Centre Trust, which was refused permission to stage a London 2012 exhibition, urged Locog to "ease up".

He said: "It is in the national interest that we make the best of the Olympics over the next nine months. I can see no problem in people using it from a branding point of view. As long as people do it in a responsible way, it can only enhance the economy."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jan/11/olympic-companies-ban-promoting-work-games?newsfeed=true

"It is hard to understand how somebody providing tiles or doors is going to ambush Adidas or BMW by marketing their involvement in the games"

I pretty much agree with this. Sure, only allow Official sponsors to use the rings and the branding and certain words etc., but to not allow the contractos who built the park to leverage their work B2B seems a little over the top.

Has this been an issue in previous host cities?

London's prestigious Royal College of Art has been chosen as the base for the US Olympic Committee (USOC) for the 2012 Games.

The venue in Kensington, west London, will host athletes, staff, sponsors and officials during the summer.

Patrick Sandusky, chief communications officer for the US Olympic Committee, said they were "thrilled".

Paul Thompson, Rector of the RCA, said they were "very honoured" to be selected by the USOC.

Mr Sandusky said: "During the 17 days of the Games, USA House [the RCA building] will play host to our sponsors, donors, athletes and other USOC guests.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16583412

_57928428_college.jpg

A bit of pointless information from me.

Im currently 418 posts off 2012, Im aiming to post my 2012th post on the day of the opening ceremony, with a nice poiniant message : ). Well I need something to keep me occupied now the logo competition has ended don't I he he

A bit of pointless information from me.

Im currently 418 posts off 2012, Im aiming to post my 2012th post on the day of the opening ceremony, with a nice poiniant message : ). Well I need something to keep me occupied now the logo competition has ended don't I he he

Easiest way to get your post count up would be to dive head-first into one of the spam/flame wars.

The Olympic Park’s artist in residence, Neville Gabie, has created his own version of the ‘Bathers at Asnieres’ as part of the Olympic Delivery Authority's (ODA's) Art in the Park programme.

401486_10150514676327408_259479457407_9236855_322633882_n.jpg

2.jpg

The image was taken in the Olympic Park and uses construction workers from around the project with the bathers replaced by landscape gardeners, engineers, designers and security staff. The image reflects the range of tasks, diversity and skills of those delivering the venues and infrastructure ahead of the Games .

The original iconic painting was created in 1884 by French post-impressionist, Georges Seurat and is housed at The National Gallery.

John Armitt, ODA chairman said: ‘The ODA’s Art in the Park programme has strived to commission original and meaningful works. Neville Gabie’s unique take on Seurat’s 19th century masterpiece will capture both the imagination and attention of art lovers as well as all those who have worked on the Park. It is a fitting tribute to everyone who has worked so hard to ensure the project will finish on time, within budget and to an excellent standard.’

http://www.london201...nch-masterp.php

More about Art in the Park

Those pods look ugly as f*ck. It might be easier to design something with right angles than curves, but the last vestiges of visual sparkle have slipped away now. They look like the kind of depot-buildings you get in an industrial park.

So, we have a mundane and aesthetically boring stadium. The whole ' it looks the way it does because it's going to be down sized after the games' argument has kinda subsidised to it's hard to defend the stadium now.It's basically a sh*itty £500MILLION looking stadium that looks temporary but after the games won't be downsized thus the it's architecture represents something different to what its life will inevitable become. Just strange.

The wrap basically consists of some ugly white bunting with some colour on the inside, juxtaposed beside an awful looking aquatics centre with compromised sightlines, juxtaposed further with a jumbled red-mess called the Orbit. Just Wonderful.

Welcome to London peepz.

Wrong forum. Meant to post in stadium thread. Apologies. But anyway, thank Allah that the park looks wonderful.

Not strictly 2012 related, but nice to know if you've got tickets for any of the events in Greenwich

The Queen has made Greenwich in south-east London a royal borough to mark her Diamond Jubilee.

It is the first borough to be granted royal status in more than 80 years and is one of only four in the country.

The honour has been conferred to recognise the close links between Greenwich and royalty since the Middle Ages, the Cabinet Office said.

The honour will be marked by a weekend of celebrations in Woolwich, Eltham and Greenwich town centres.

Greenwich will be one of six boroughs to host the London 2012 Games which start on 27 July.

Council leader Chris Roberts said the borough was "proud to take centre stage" in a special year in which London celebrates the Olympics and the Queen's Jubilee.

"Our new royal borough status will drive forward our record levels of regeneration and cement our role as a key international destination for businesses and visitors from across the globe."

He added: "It will create a legacy for local residents that will last for generations to come."

A spokesman for the Cabinet Office said: "Royal borough status is exceptional, having last been granted in England in 1927 by George V.

"The title 'Royal' is nowadays very sparingly granted and strict standards are applied."

Greenwich's buildings with royal links include Greenwich Palace, Eltham Palace and the Royal Military Barracks.

Planned celebrations include a musical fireworks display in Woolwich.

The Royal Charter signed by the Queen, confirming the borough's new legal status, will be put on public display at three locations including Visit Greenwich in Cutty Sark Gardens.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...london-16861701

The new coat of arms:

http://www.royalgree...chs_royal_crest

http://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/site/

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the video before it went private. Those rings look massive. They say they are for the Olympic Park but could they be the Tower Bridge set, building them next to the water would make sense for that. Theres also a set for the top of the Shard isn't there

I thought the same thing. He said they were for the Olympic Park but I am pretty much convinced they will be for Tower Bridge. It's a shame as I really do think that Stratford could do with having some Olympic rings in front of the station. Regardless, those rings are HUGE. Getting very excited again now. :D

Archived