A gallimaufry of London 2012 bits

Rob2012

Someone before has posted that each venue is being designated a colour that will then appear on tickets etc. That will make the whole way finding scheme so easy.

I cant get over how dramatic this will all look. I have wanted to see evidence of the brand being taken forward and bought to life, finally I can see it. I hope they have the balls to do it!

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone before has posted that each venue is being designated a colour that will then appear on tickets etc. That will make the whole way finding scheme so easy.

I cant get over how dramatic this will all look. I have wanted to see evidence of the brand being taken forward and bought to life, finally I can see it. I hope they have the balls to do it!

yeah Davey - i agree. it looks excellent in these impressions and links with the image you posted of the coloured shards (installed at Oxford Circus - from the looks of things at Oxford Circus). am sure they will have the balls to go through with it - these colours will brighten up a dull london day(which if the current weather is any guide for next year - could be sh*t).

do you think these images are from the look book - can't wait to get my hands on that!

Westfield Straford City opens in a couple of months and it seems from these recent pictures that they are well on track with the kitting out of the centre. I know this development has been heavily criticised but I can't help but smile when I think of how Straford is changing and it's hard to criticse anything that is going to give thousands of East Londoners jobs. I definitely think the inside of this shopping centre is where all the money is being spent.

Westfield Stratford City Facebook page with many pictures

Note: you don't have to like in order to view pictures. I chose to like it anyway. :D

2012 Olympics: An African village in London

An African village will be built in London by the Association of National Olympic Committees of Africa (ANOCA) during the 2012 Olympic Games.

The opening of this village called "Africa Village" to the public is scheduled for July 27th, 2012 to August 13th of the same year. "It will be the official host site of the 53 official Olympic Committees of the continent.

It will also be a reception area of the African sports leaders, athletes and partners of the sports and Olympic movement of the continent," said ANOCA. This site also intends to accommodate a television station and a radio studio.

It will therefore be "a real window of Africa on the world with the presence of a set of stands presenting the rich cultural and artistic diversity of the continent," the document revealed.

In addition, the beside the General Assembly of the International Olympic Committee recently held in Durban (South Africa), ANOCA signed an agreement with the American and Russian National Olympic Committees. With the Americans, the agreement aims at the organization "of training and retraining period for coaches, athletes and the exchange of experience between Africans and Americans in the areas of technical training, sports medicine and sports administration.”

With the Russians, the agreement allows "the organization of Africa-Russia competitions in several disciplines, exchanges of experience and information on sports medicine, at the technical staff, at the preparation level of athletes for global events and the promotion of Olympic ideals.

StarAfrica.com

An interesting look back at the 1948 Games in today's Globe and Mail. Just goes to show that after all these years, it's not the quality of the venues that you remember, it's the people and atmosphere that matter.

Short rations, long friendships at 1948 London Games

Published Tuesday, Jul. 26, 2011 10:25PM EDT

With a year to go until the opening ceremony, the 2012 Olympics are a constant presence in Britain: Construction work is in full swing, warm-up events are under way and the distribution of tickets is one of the biggest media stories of the year.

The preparations are in stark contrast to the last time London hosted the Games in 1948, amid the economic hardship, rationing and general gloom of post-war Britain.

London was originally scheduled to host the 1944 Games but they, along with those of 1940 in Tokyo – which were briefly switched to Helsinki – were cancelled because of the Second World War.

With vast swathes of the city still a rubble-strewn bomb site, the entire nation desperately short of food and money and in the wake of one of the worst winters on record, London took on the 1948 burden and, with a predominantly volunteer organizing committee, somehow planned and executed the Games in a little more than 18 months.

“The social and economic condition of post-war Britain was enough to make any planner of an Olympic extravaganza give up in despair,” wrote author Janie Hampton in her excellent 2008 book The Austerity Olympics.

“[Yet] the 1948 Games were a true celebration of victory after dark times and one of the most inexpensive and unpretentious Olympic Games of the 20th century.”

The 1948 Games cost a total of £732,268, around £20-million ($31-million) at today’s rates, and made a post-tax profit of £9,000.

Viewed alongside the £9-billion total outlay for the 2012 Games, some of the figures from the meticulous balance sheet of 1948 make fascinating reading.

A mere £78,120 was spent polishing up Wembley Stadium and the other venues, just £3,638 went on “entertainment and hospitality,” while office furniture cost £405.

Competitors were provided with bed linen but were expected to bring their own towels – or buy them upon arrival.

British athletes had to buy or make their own shorts – though every man in the team was provided with one free pair of underpants courtesy of a local outfitter.

Ticket prices ranged from two shillings (around $11 today) for some of the more obscure events and venues to 10 times that for the rowing at Henley.

Although the Games of 1932 in Los Angeles and 1936 in Berlin had provided purpose-built athletes’ villages, that was never going to happen in a city where every available builder and piece of material was still being directed towards replacing the hundreds of thousands of buildings destroyed in the Blitz.

Instead, the athletes were dotted around the capital in accommodation varying widely in type and condition.

Richmond Park, on the route for the 2012 cycling road race, still boasted a huge pre-war army camp of wooden huts and that became home to more than 2,000 competitors of various nationalities.

Among the 30-odd venues were hostels, military barracks and schools, where desks were simply replaced with beds.

The British women’s swimming team were housed on the eighth floor of an office block – with a broken lift.

However men and women who had lived through the deprivation of the war years, many of whom had seen active service, were not about to complain about the comfort of the bedding.

The multinational nature of the living arrangements helped to build camaraderie and establish cross-border friendships unknown to most in pre-war Britain, many of which lasted a lifetime.

It was not all smiles and make-do, however, and many overseas competitors were shocked to discover that, three years after the end of the war, Britain still operated a strict food-rationing system, with even basics such as bread, eggs and milk in short supply.

The authorities took some persuading to increase the athletes’ daily allowance from the basic 2,600 calories to the 3,900 allocated to workers in heavy industry.

A daily packed lunch of a thin sandwich, an apple and a hard-boiled egg was hardly the ideal training fuel for the world’s sporting elite, but many were rescued by the generosity of overseas governments and individuals who donated hundreds of tonnes of food.

There were no purpose-built venues, though some old favourites were dusted down and given a lick of paint.

Wembley was the centrepiece but that did not prevent fans of greyhound racing and speedway from complaining when their track was replaced with a cinder surface for the athletics.

Steamroller-smooth initially, after a few days of rain the new track became a sticky, black quagmire.

Weather conditions also affected the open-air velodrome at Herne Hill, to the southeast of the city, where 10,000 fans crammed in to the 18th-century stadium, bomb-damaged after being used as a barrage-balloon battery during the war.

“The sun was so hot it melted the new bitumen surface and we had to follow in the tracks of previous riders,” double 1948 bronze medalist Tommy Godwin said.

“But it was a wonderful atmosphere. When I rode the one-kilometre time trial it was just a wall of noise all the way round. The whole thing was an incredibly emotional experience.”

Was just listening to the end of the test match vs India. They mentioed South Africa will be over here next summer. Not being a big cricket fan I didn't know that. But apparently the tour will coincide with the Olympics. Now, I know the IOC has rules against major sporting events happening at the same time as the Olympics in the host nation. I guess since cricket isn't an Olympic sport they're not too bothered by the Test series next year?

Are there any other sporting events in the UK which will clash with the Games next summer? The only other one I can think of is the Community Shield final, which will be played on the 11th August (the penultimate day of the Games) but not at Wembley as is usually the case.

When did this happen. Apparently they are building a walkway across the roof of the dome

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14337973

That looks great!!! I can't wait to give it a go!

I wonder though, will you need a ticket to an event at the O2 to access it? It seems so close to the building, that I don't know how the general public could access it without entering into the secure area.

Well, for a change of pace from riot stories and debates:

Boosting the bottom line: Beach volleyball stars to rent out advertising space on their bikini-clad behinds

article-2023726-0D591C1300000578-501_634x580.jpg

article-2023726-0D591BD900000578-460_634x285.jpg

Britain's female beach volleyball champions are renting out their rears in an advertising deal that encourages spectators to photograph their behinds.

Zara Dampney, 24, and Shauna Mullin, 26, have turned their bottoms into their bottom line by wearing bikini briefs with a Quick Response (QR) code printed on the back where it will catch the eye of spectators.

When photographed on a smartphone, the code takes the user to a specific website - in this case, for bookmakers Betfair.

ThTthe bikini-clad duo - Britain's first-choice beach volleyball pairing for London 2012 - are believed to have been paid a substantial five figure sum by betting firm Betfair for sponsorship rights to their behinds.

It is part of a sponsorship deal struck by Betfair with Dampney and Mullin, who are ranked 26th in the world.

It is set to be trailed at pre-Olympics test matches held at Horse Guards parade this weekend to test the Olympics venue a year ahead of the London 2012 beach volleyball tournament.

Betfair's Andy Lulham said: 'There is huge interest in beach volleyball and we want to ensure that our advertising campaign is seen and remembered by as many sports fans as possible.

'As far as we're aware this is the first time QR codes have been used in in-play sports advertising and what better way to test its effectiveness than by putting them on one of the places that is likely to get photographed the most.'

Fans at the test tournament, running from tomorrow until August 14, will automatically be directed to Betfair's website when they take a snap of the players' bottoms with a smartphone.

It is believed to be the first time that sportspeople have agreed to wear such a printed code.

The pair - ranked 26th in the world - said last week that they wanted their sport to be taken more seriously in Britain.

Mullin, who has a degree in marketing, complained: 'We go to countries such as Brazil, Germany and the USA where beach volleyball is a recognised sport like football or rugby is in England.

'But here in England we are still stuck at the stage where people think beach volleyball is about sex, not a sport.'

Similarly, law graduate Dampney said: 'A lot of people don't value it as a sport or assume we don't even have any decent beaches in England. But this is not a hobby.

'We are professional athletes who train five or six days a week. We do all the same things, gym, nutrition, video analysis, physio as other athletes.

'We hope the Olympic test event will be a chance to get across what the sport is actually about and how athletic and exciting it is.'

The sport's rules demand that female players wear a top 'closely fitted to the body' and briefs with 'a side width no greater than 7cm.'

Betfair's Andy Lulham commented: 'There is huge interest in beach volleyball and we want to ensure that our advertising campaign is seen and remembered by as many sports fans as possible.

'As far as we're aware this is the first time QR codes have been used in in-play sports advertising and what better way to test its effectiveness than by putting them on one of the places that is likely to get photographed the most.'

However, the barcoded kit will not be displayed during matches played at the Olympic Games, as any branding other than simple manufacturers' logos is not allowed.

As the week's event will be a test match, the sportswomen are allowed to take sponsorship.

Women's beach volleyball will be among the hottest tickets in town next summer, ranking alongside the men's 100m showdown in popularity.

Britain's corporates have been rushing to secure their clients top seats at what they see as the most entertaining event of the whole Olympics.

Hospitality organisers report that the sport is the most sought after ticket for the Games.

Male beach volleyball players are not required to wear such revealing attire.

Dampney and Mullin will be the only European pairing at Visa FIVB Beach Volleyball International, which kicks-off on August 9 and has attracted interest from the world's best teams including America, Brazil and Australia.

Both women took up indoor volleyball at school before switching to the beach event when the Olympic programme was set up after London won the bid in 2005.

Now full-time, lottery-funded athletes, they spend much of the year on the world tour and aim to be ranked at least 16th by next summer.

That would win them automatic Olympic entry and free up the wild-card that Britain earns as Games hosts for second-string pair Denise Johns and Lucy Boulton.

The favourites for Olympic gold are millionaires American superstar Kerri Walsh - world number one and already a double Olympic gold medallist - and her partner Misty May-Treanor.

Dampney said: 'It won't be easy to get on the podium next summer but there is a chance. Anything is possible on the day.

'But we will never have a better chance than London 2012. And when the venue was announced we knew it was going to be a big thing. The location is iconic and we have the chance to revolutionise the way our sport is seen in this country.'

Daily Mail

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely Fabulous to return with London 2012 Olympics special

Absolutely Fabulous will make a comeback on BBC One with a three-part 20th anniversary special that will see Jennifer Saunders’ Edina and Joanna Lumley’s Patsy put their stamp on the London 2012 Olympics.

Lumley and Saunders will reprise their roles on the BBC comedy, which follows the exploits and mood swings of PR guru Edina Monsoon and cigarette-toting magazine editor Patsy Stone.

The three thirty minute episodes, currently being filmed in central London, will also see the return of other original cast members Julia Sawalha, June and Whitfield and Jane Horrocks.

Patsy and Edina will still be working tirelessly in their respective careers as the anniversary specials are set to take in the present day.

The opening instalment will: ‘rejoin the beloved ensemble in the midst of a life-changing experience for one’ while the third and final episode will take a jab at the London 2012 Olympics when Patsy and Edina play a special part in proceedings.

Saunders said: ‘It's great that we are able to celebrate our 20th birthday with all the original cast. Like a good bottle of champagne we hope that we have got better with time without losing any of our sparkle.

‘Last week when we started filming in dear old West London, it was as if nothing had changed. It was raining. Nevertheless, we are so happy to be working for an audience that has grown just a tiny bit older like us, but is still willing to let us fall over on TV in the name of PR.’

Jon Plowman, BBC comedy executive producer, added: ‘Viewers have been fantastically loyal in their devotion to our show, so we're really thrilled to say that it's coming back for three new shows to celebrate our 20th anniversary. All of the originals who are back together again are still truly absolutely fabulous and the new adventures of Edina, Patsy, Saffy, Bubble and Mother, plus a few surprising guests, will be a real treat for viewers.’

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/tv/873785-absolutely-fabulous-to-return-with-london-2012-olympics-special#ixzz1WQEhjQYr

Archived