The London Olympic Stadium

Rob.

Just as a by the by, the acoustics in the stadium are amazing. We all knew that with the huge sound system, it would sound good but the cheering is going to create a wall of sound for the athletes. We were doing some yelling at the end of rehearsals yesterday (just a few hundred of us) and oh, boy, the way the seating bowl picked up and amplified the sound was amazing. Can't imagine how it will sound when packed!

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Formula One, West Ham in race for Olympic Stadium

(Reuters) - A bid linked to motor-racing group Formula One and football club West Ham United are among four parties competing to take over the Olympic stadium after the London Games, the London Legacy Development Corporation said on Tuesday.

The LLDC said it was assessing proposals from the two, as well as from Leyton Orient Football Club and the UCFB College of Football Business, without saying when a decision was due.

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone told Reuters he was not directly involved in the motor-racing bid which LLDC said was made in association with a company called Intelligent Transport Services.

"If they were to get permission to do it (use the stadium for a Grand Prix), then we would be more than happy to do something with them. But we have nothing to do with putting in a bid," he said.

The process to select a main tenant for the stadium in east London was extended eight weeks in May after the LLDC said parties had been discouraged from bidding because of unresolved issues including stadium-naming rights.

"London is further ahead in planning legacy than any previous host Olympic city," LLDC chairman Daniel Moylan said.

There has been speculation that Formula One planned to use the stadium and neighbouring land to create a motor-racing circuit.

Some local politicians fear the 80,000-seat venue could become a white elephant. A previous plan to sell the stadium to West Ham fell apart in October with the government citing "legal paralysis" after Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur, which had a bid turned down, challenged the decision.

Reuters

I would hate, hate, hate, to see the Olympic Park turned into a F1 track. IMO F1 is about as far removed from the Olympic ideal as you can get and I'd rather see the stadium rot than end up in Bernie's hands.

At the moment going back to plan A and just downgrading it to a 25,000 or so athletics venue, with the ability to increase capacity as and when required for things like the World Championships and potential future Olympic/Commonwealth bids would be my preferred option, with them topping up the cash by renting it out for concerts and to various one of events rather than having a tennant. It would be a tough gig but the Olympic Stadium would be a real alternative to Wembley/Twickenham for big stadium gigs where they have to do more to protect the field of play.

It would never happen to considering the proximity of both Lords and the Oval but it would have been nice for cricket to take an interest and London to have a cricket oval which rivaled the MCG.

If the Park was much, much bigger like the Island in Montreal, and if we didn't already have a wonderful historic track in Silverstone I wouldn't mind F1 there. But I don't think it'd do anything for the Park except damage it, and with Silverstone already home of F1 in the UK I don't see the need either.

Exactly, plus there are other venues like Donington and Brands Hatch which should get a crack at F1 before the Olympic Park - and be much easier to upgrade (though whenver Bernie gives them the rights he then says it's not good enough and goes back to Silverstone!)

If London were to have a grand prix wasn't the idea for a street circuit - and that surely should be in amongst the London landmarks, not tearing up the biggest new urban park for decades.

Yes, those are two of the four temporary video screens they had to put up because the view onto the actual video screens is blocked by the giant bell and the Tor (=the grassy hill with the tree on top).

You can see the backside of the third temporary screen in the right foreground of the roof. The fourth screen you can only guess, it's to the left.

image.jpg

From Pondspider on Flickr

Has anyone noticed the ring shape dead centre on the stadium roof? I was there yesterday and all 4 screens are up, this is something new and is located above the main stage, above the giant screens....could this be the home of the couldron?

Has anyone noticed the ring shape dead centre on the stadium roof? I was there yesterday and all 4 screens are up, this is something new and is located above the main stage, above the giant screens....could this be the home of the couldron?

There are more rings, see this photo;

stadium_2275342k.jpg

Maybe a support structure for fireworks?

There are more rings, see this photo;

Maybe a support structure for fireworks?

There are five rings total. I'm guessing they'll be "flying" from the roof to form the Olympic rings suspended in the middle of the stadium.

Just a guess, of course.

There are five rings total. I'm guessing they'll be "flying" from the roof to form the Olympic rings suspended in the middle of the stadium.

Just a guess, of course.

And that guess has already been sort-of confirmed by the leaks in the media. The five Olympic Rings will join above the infield and will be lit up with pyrotechnical effects. You can even see one of the rings with exploding pyrotechnics in a little snippet in this official teaser video:

On the whole stunning but for me that damn tower is still a blot on the landscape and having seen numerous shots from various TV studios over recent days where it's there front and centre I really do fear it will detract from the cauldron.

Couldn't disagree more! Having walked through the park yesterday - it adds a magic dimension. Not everyone will agree and each to their own!

Archived