The London Olympic Stadium

Rob.

And what about the bid for the 2017 IAAF World Championships? It would be much more sustainable to have a football club in the stadium in the five years between the Olympic Games and the World Championships than having to maintain a mostly empty stadium for all those years until the WCHs come.

Not to mention that they don't need a 25,000 seater for the WCHs but certainly wish the stadium to stay at or near its Olympic capacity.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that is rather a complicating factor. The Plan post-2012 was to have a 25k stadium which suited UKA and left the possibility, at some point in the future, for a World Athletics Championships with temporary seating built around the perimeter of the 25k bowl (much like the temporary seating used in the Hockey Centre or in Eton Manor). The fact that the Worlds bid has come so soon after 2012 means it doesn't make much sense to take down the existing, more rubust temporary stands yet, you're right.

• 5 weeks later...
Render_10+MA.jpg

"A hidden cauldron"? I still don't think that they'll have a cauldron in the stadium or on its roof. They'll build a 490-foot tower for the cauldron, so they can hardly hide that from the public.

Will they, where did you read that? I've heard talk of a seperate tower but never heard it was going to be 490ft.

Will they, where did you read that? I've heard talk of a seperate tower but never heard it was going to be 490ft.

490 ft? Would be like 48 stories high!! I don't see how that could be a very stable, thin spindle. A sane height visible from most of the interior of the stade would probably be in the 160-190 ft. height. Torino's was already 187 ft high (so about 18 stories high) -- the 2nd highest in my records.

490 ft? Would be like 48 stories high!! I don't see how that could be a very stable, thin spindle. A sane height visible from most of the interior of the stade would probably be in the 160-190 ft. height. Torino's was already 187 ft high (so about 18 stories high) -- the 2nd highest in my records.

Baron, you are pretty forgetful, aren't you? See below

Lee (and also a reminder to Baron): I already posted that information a couple of weeks ago on the opening ceremony thread:

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/14443-opening-ceremony/page__view__findpost__p__322460

Is the background pattern on the DOW website a clue as to the wrap design?

picture8gn.png

Well it did sound like Darjole was hinting something over on SSC. It sounded to me as though there was a clue already out there and you just had to find it. This might well be the clue, Davey. Although I hope it isn't as I still want the rainbow effect around the stadium. I suppose the added advantage to having the puple, pink and blue is that it seems to all tie in very well with the look. I must admit I am starting to get very excited - and frustrated - I want to know now! :lol:

Baron, you are pretty forgetful, aren't you? See below

Well, I don't know that Heatherwick will design something sooooooo tall. Why should it have to go to 490 ft? I mean just hoisting something so tall is just not sanely possible. So it's going to be double the height of Helsinki's 24-storey tower? :blink: It would take 7-8 minutes for the flame to get there!!! That figure is surely mistaken.

Not quite. But I was very clever in what I said.

Oh don't tell me that. Does that mean there is a clue hidden out there somewhere? I have spent today trawling through the internet in the hope that I would find something. If you wanna PM me I am very trustworthy. :D

You and me both Lee, theres nothing out there.

I thought I was onto something when I typed London 2012 wrap into Google and Damien Hirst popped up with the line Hirst signed up for team GB. But thats just about his Tate Modern exhibition.

Can we have another clue pleeeeeeaaaaase : )

OMG Ive cracked it, I think.

DarJoLe said "Has anyone spotted any colourful news about the wrap yet?"

Damien Hirst does spots, he's got a major exhibition at the Tate, its gonna be wrapped in a massive Damien Hirst!!!!!!

Archived