The London Olympic Stadium

Rob2012

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Done.

I notice on this aerial pic that the central Heneghan Peng Olympic bridge - just north of the stadium - is coming along well. Something of a forgotten gem this, what with everything else going on in the Park...

1460674_VS_OAP_TZ_ZZZ_FBR_F06_6BAA9.jpg

110324odamdaac106hi.jpg

Can anyone that posts on skyscrapercity.com tell them this is what the wrap says. Its the same written at the top and bottom. It makes no sense really but there you go

img1405k.jpg

reads like a job sight safety promo, but very vague, and perhaps means something much more interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just found this in another article on The Telegraph website

That’s a wrap

To wrap or not to wrap? It looks like the Olympic stadium will get its outer covering after all, as negotiations continue behind the scenes for approval for some type of advertising. But the concept of swathing the stadium in plastic has given way to a series of strips to camouflage and add colour to the grey girder exterior.

Given that only Olympic sponsors are permitted to have a presence in the Olympic Park – and the cost of around £7 million – it looks like one of the big multi-nationals will get the go-ahead.

The IOC has yet to sign off on it though, and the deal will be carefully scrutinised lest it breach the ”clean venue” advertising mantra demanded by the Lausanne-based authority

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/jmagnay1/100016566/london-2012-olympics-diary-ian-thorpes-manager-denies-plastic-surgery-rumours/

I can't see the IOC allowing it to be too blatant. There'll certainly be no obvious logos. Just keep our fingers crossed the winning bid comes from a company with nice corporate colours.

It does sound like, as I guessed, we've lost the Sophie Smallhorn concept for the wrap. That's a bit sad. Quite nervous about this to be honest; someone say something reassuring. :huh:

I can't see the IOC allowing it to be too blatant. There'll certainly be no obvious logos. Just keep our fingers crossed the winning bid comes from a company with nice corporate colours.

It does sound like, as I guessed, we've lost the Sophie Smallhorn concept for the wrap. That's a bit sad. Quite nervous about this to be honest; someone say something reassuring. :huh:

One of the issues that has added to the time length is finding a suitable wrap material that is "green" enough to meet LOCOG's standards.

Olympics-Stadium wrap likely to make a return

The fabric wrap that had been intended to jazz up London's Olympic stadium before being ditched late last year amid government spending cuts could make a return, the Olympics minister suggested on Thursday.

"If you ask me, I should think it probably more likely there will be than not," Hugh Robertson told reporters, when asked if there would be a wrap.

The comment came during the release of the latest Olympic quarterly figures which showed the anticipated final cost for the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA), in charge of Olympic build and infrastructure, had fallen by 35 million pounds ($57 million) to 7.27 billion pounds...

The eye-catching seven million pound wrap was designed to provide a colourful curtain around the steel girders and grey concrete seating of the 486 million pound main stadium but was dropped last October as the government imposed the severest public spending cuts in generations to rein in a record peacetime budget deficit.

The move was criticised in some quarters, including the architect, and a private company was sought to provide sponsorship. Evaluations are ongoing three months after the deadline for expressions of interest ended.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/12052011/2/olympics-stadium-wrap-likely-return.html

One of the issues that has added to the time length is finding a suitable wrap material that is "green" enough to meet LOCOG's standards.

Oh, I missed this post. That's an intruiging bit of info, how have you come across that if you don't mind my asking?

• 2 weeks later...

Should there be any major concerns about London 2012 at this time? It doesn't appear that there should be any. Let's keep looking. I don't like the Logo and it appears that this is universally regarded as the worst ever in Olympic history but other than that...everything seems to be "all systems go!"

We'll see how the logo goes down when it's seen properly in context next year.

As for other concerns, things are mostly going pretty smoothly. The Aquatics Centre is now a few weeks behind schedule because of problems with the heating system which are being tweaked, but it'll still be finished in the next few months; it's not going to be a rush. Ditto a couple of blocks of the village which are a little behind but not to the extent that it'll affect the Games.

The biggest hurdles I think are the operational things, rather than construction which is fine. How will the ORN work out? How will the city be secured from terrorism/crime? Will we put on a good show in the ceremonies and how will the cauldron and torches look? How smoothly will the torch relay go and how much support will it garner? I'm not saying any of these things are problems, but they are the areas of potential pitfalls now the contruction phase has gone pretty well to plan.

And of course, there's always the unpredictable British weather? :P That said, July and August should be fine!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived