The London Olympic Stadium

Rob2012

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I see the intersecting lines of the look shown next to the images of those lights intersecting, they look exactly the same. Yes Intersecting lines show up everywhere but they are using them to great effect here. It's clever and very simple.

It brings the brand and the look to life like never before. I didnt see it in Beijing, Athens, Sydney. Nowhere. they all used lighting effects but none bought their brand to life they were just lighting effects.

I know some people don't like the brand but surely nobody in their right mind can view the look, and those images of the stadium and not see a direct comparison.

I don't think it's coincidental either. Watch the beginning of the Mario/Sonic Game trailer, which has lasers from the stadium intersecting and forming the logo. I think those developing the look and working with people like Sega were communicating such ideas and possibilities a while ago. Now we're seeing the first hints of it in the flesh.

You can say Torino brought their brand to life with the way their Opening Ceremony stage was meant to evoke a piazza (their Look was based of the piazza, the gathering place of peoples). And Salt Lake's ice crystal and motto of "Light the Fire Within" were echoed in the design of its glass cauldron. And Beijing of course used the concept of the unfurling ancient scroll as the basis for the cultural segment of its Opening Ceremony, in the cauldron lighting sequence, and in the design of the cauldron and torch. Scrolls, calligraphy, the "lucky cloud" motif in brushstroke was the design basis of Beijing's Look. So incorporating design concepts and elements of Olympic brands into the Olympic ceremonies really isn't that new of a thing.

I stand by my statement. All those elements happened within the confines of the stadium. This is external, and Im pretty certain we are going to see these shard like images, across the city. So again I say its bringing the brand to life like never before.

Thing is of course, that photo is the "back" of the stadium - taken from outside the Park - with all the tents and other stuff making the view rather messy. We need a shot like this from inside the Olympic Park, and as Davey said, it'd be great to see the lighting as well.

Wow! That's a fantastic picture.

And I must say, the wrap really does add a lot to the stadium. I've really warmed up to this stadium. It has this ultra-utilitarian, yet "big-tent," festive feel to it. It is by no means and architectural marvel, but it's become endearing in its own way.

Was in the stadium today and there are lots of fabulous little touches in there to do with the look. Couldn't really manage pics but the 'look' with the shards carries on throughout even on some of the smaller signs - like the illuminated ladies/gents at the AA seats have an edge that is made up of shards. The illuminated wayfinder signs around the stadium have shards of metal 'holding' the two panels together.

And something else that I noticed that was a nice touch - as you come down from the upper tier, you can see the 'block' from the lower tier that houses the toilets, the first aid points etc. On the flat roof of that block is a symbol - a man or woman if it's the loo or a first aid sign - so you know whether to turn left or right when you come down from the block.

On the flat roof of that block is a symbol - a man or woman if it's the loo or a first aid sign - so you know whether to turn left or right when you come down from the block.

Got a picture of this today

IMG_1384.jpg

Archived