The London Olympic Stadium

Rob2012

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, Roland, for your posting. I actually thought we wouldn't have to start this debate again. The wrap is finally going up, and we should be happy about it. Actually with events like this one, I get more and more into the "Olympic mood" already. It's getting very real, folks!

My advice to the Brits here is to start enjoying the moment NOW. Look on the Jubilee as the kick-start to the UK's summer in the spotlight, sort of like how the Millennium celebrations and our "Eternity" sign on the Harbour Bridge kicked of our big year Down Under. And after that, this will really start moving forward at full tilt - the torch relay will get going, the national teams will start arriving, the tickets will start getting delivered, you'll start noticing people wearing the official lanyards and team attires on the streets and come July the country will be prettied up and decorated. And then before you know it, it'll feel like you've blinked and it's all over!

I envy you all - this is the time when I really started to get excited in anticipation and would often pinch myself that it was really all going to be happening imminently! Actually, these posts have made me realise myself that it's not too long now till I head over to crash your party. It's gonna be great!

I really don't expect decor all over the city or the wrap (that was a mistake in an earlier post). From what I've heard from friends, though, there's very little excitement at this point. I think it's totally possible for Olympic enthusiasm to coexist with the jubilee. If anything, they could fuel each other.

As I said before when you mentioned your friends, the excitement is here when it matters. The 200 days to go celebrations were well-attended, the unveiling of the full torch relay route had lots of people talking and looking at where it'd be going, the selling out of test events very quickly, the sale of real Olympic tickets being unprecedented etc. But people aren't talking about the Olympics all the time, it's not in the front of most people's minds yet. I don't know whether that'd be different in a smaller host city but it doesn't matter. Every time London has needed to step up to the mark it has so far.

If you're in any doubt do a search on YouTube for London velodrome World Cup, or ask Davey who was there!

I can confirm the velodrome event was amazing people were buzzing about the games. There are more and more events at the Olympic stadium over the coming months, the more of these the more people will get enthused when people are there seeing the park, feeling the excitement.

My local paper has articles most weeks on how local people are getting involved. When the torch relay starts its gonna intensify. I know people with no interest up until now that are arranging days off to see the torch.

Especially because this is actually the wrong thread for that: But could we wrap up that ever-repeating discussion? Gosh, I'm really glad when the Games come -- so we won't have to face another "Why is London not in Olympic frenzy yet?" discussion kicked off by Athensfan anymore.

Especially because this is actually the wrong thread for that: But could we wrap up that ever-repeating discussion? Gosh, I'm really glad when the Games come -- so we won't have to face another "Why is London not in Olympic frenzy yet?" discussion kicked off by Athensfan anymore.

Thanks a heap. If you review the thread, I didn't kick off that topic. I agreed with another poster who did -- specifically with regard to the stadium. As Gamesbids tangents go, it was pretty darn minor.

To be fair my post was in the correct thread, it was about the Olympic Stadium wrap. I digressed onto the subject of London's preparedness as a whole, but it was still relevant to the wrap issue.

Let's move on now....

Archived